Why do CMs point with 2 fingers?

sublimesting

Original Poster
I always heard it was because pointing with one is considered rude. However, today an employee told me thatwhen she was a CM that in Traditions they were told it was because Walt pointed with 2 fingers cause he always had a cigarette in his hand. Sounds like a cute story but now I don't know which s right. Furthermore, it seems like there i really no way to prove something like this one way or the other.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Walt considered a one-finger point to be rude. That's the history I was given. :shrug:

s8film40

In reality there is truth in both reasons. It's one of those things that no one can pin down the exact moment and reason they began doing it, so no one will know for sure the real deciding reason for implementing it into the Disney training. Walt Disney did in fact point with two fingers when smoking, however he pointed with one whenever he was not smoking. If you look through old photographs most of the time over the years Disney has taken the cigarettes out so it looks like a two finger point. It could be that castmembers started pointing "like Walt" and then they later found a reason to justify doing this.

Here you see Walt pointing, he uses one finger:

CUyPwl.jpg

Here on the cover of this book you see him pointing with two fingers, look closely and you will see a small circle between his fingers. This photo originally had a cigarette but it was mostly removed:

EYLd8l.jpg

Walt Disney1955

It does seem more polite, what can you say? Call me crazy, but a person who points with two fingers might give the impression that they are more trustworthy and direct

powlessfamily4

The two finger point is actually very prevalent. I know Flight Attendants use it as do the tour guides at my favorite museum. My Mother always taught me it was rude. She would say "Don't point like that, it is rude, besides you have 3 pointing back at you."

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
The culture thing is just too pat... consider all of the OTHER actions that a CM could take that would offend a particular culture (feel free to list 'em - some are amazing).

I'm actually buying in to the "cigarette in his hand" :).
"Pat" answers are so because they are generally correct. How does one become "too" correct? :p

Are CM's taught to point with two fingers or an open palm too?

Yes; my dad's a CM and he was taught either 2 fingers or an open palm. The story that I've always heard was the 2 fingers was directly due to Walt's smoking and (almost) always having a cigarette between his 2 fingers.

AlishaMisha

As a CM you are only allowed to point with 2 fingers or and open palm. BUT there is an instance where you are allowed to point. You are allowed to point at something that your fingertip is touching, for instance a map. When guiding someone you can point on a map. This explains Walt's pointing in the first picture. The reason behind it is really the rudeness factor(which I understand) and the Walt story is merely pixie dust.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom