Is Phase 2 (or 1B) About to Begin...?

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Thanks to a heads up by SeaCastle, I'd like to bring your attention to some building permits filed yesterday and today:

Dumbo the Flying Elephant
Barnstormer

- the company that filed these - is one of the prime contractors on the FLE. It's too coincidental that two of the rides being affected by the FLE have had permits filed by in the last two days. I predict the beginning of Phase 2 (or perhaps Phase 1B) in the near future.

Maybe Anna was right. Maybe there will be an announcement soon.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Sorry for posting first and second in a thread I started, but I just wanted to add some food for thought.

The street address for the Dumbo permit is 1262 Magic Kingdom Drive. The address listed on the Barnstormer permit is 1300 Magic Kingdom Drive.

According to all previous permits filed for work on Dumbo - in its current location - Dumbo's address is 1394 Magic Kingdom Drive.

As you go from west to east in the back half of the park, the street adresses decrese on MK Drive (i.e. HM is 1600, HoP is 1430, Dumbo is 1394, and a building in Toontown is 1320).

If Barnstormer is 1300, 1262 would put the address for this Dumbo permit very near Barnstormer.

hpyhnt 1000

Interesting! But with the holiday season rapidly approaching I can't see them starting any major Dumbo or Barnstormer work until after the first week of January.

JustInTime

Interesting! But with the holiday season rapidly approaching I can't see them starting any major Dumbo or Barnstormer work until after the first week of January.

Well, the holidays are over in 2 months. This is the time to file permits for this if it's for after the new year. Not to mention, they wouldn't have to close Dumbo to work on the dumbo area. Remember, these are two new Dumbos, not the old one. Also, I think this is why we see the rush in refurbs in recent weeks.

hpyhnt 1000

Well, the holidays are over in 2 months. This is the time to file permits for this if it's for after the new year. Not to mention, they wouldn't have to close Dumbo to work on the dumbo area. Remember, these are two new Dumbos, not the old one. Also, I think this is why we see the rush in refurbs in recent weeks.

True, I forgot about that about Dumbo.

NYwdwfan

Thanks to a heads up by SeaCastle, I'd like to bring your attention to some building permits filed yesterday and today:

Dumbo the Flying Elephant
Barnstormer

- the company that filed these - is one of the prime contractors on the FLE. It's too coincidental that two of the rides being affected by the FLE have had permits filed by in the last two days. I predict the beginning of Phase 2 (or perhaps Phase 1B) in the near future.

Maybe Anna was right. Maybe there will be an announcement soon.

First off - excellent detective work. This site rocks. And that last comment...yet again...THIS SITE ROCKS. :lol:

BrerFrog

Sorry for posting first and second in a thread I started, but I just wanted to add some food for thought.

The street address for the Dumbo permit is 1262 Magic Kingdom Drive. The address listed on the Barnstormer permit is 1300 Magic Kingdom Drive.

According to all previous permits filed for work on Dumbo - in its current location - Dumbo's address is 1394 Magic Kingdom Drive.

As you go from west to east in the back half of the park, the street adresses decrese on MK Drive (i.e. HM is 1600, HoP is 1430, Dumbo is 1394, and a building in Toontown is 1320).

If Barnstormer is 1300, 1262 would put the address for this Dumbo permit very near Barnstormer.

Wow, amazing. Thanks for that! :sohappy:

Am I the only one that didn't know there were addresses in MK:lookaroun

You are not alone.

Wow, quick and impressive detective work!

Excuse me for this, I am not totally up on my rules of filing permits. But do permits need to be filed to take things down, like Donald's Boat?

NYwdwfan

I took a look at one of the permits and it actually gives me goosebumps to see it in print. I wonder if the people that signed it have any sense of how huge of an impact this whole project will have on millions of people - or if they are totally desensitized and to them it's just another job.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Am I the only one that didn't know there were addresses in MK:lookaroun

I had no idea until I took over the permit thread.

:)

First off - excellent detective work. This site rocks. And that last comment...yet again...THIS SITE ROCKS. :lol:

I agree!

Excuse me for this, I am not totally up on my rules of filing permits. But do permits need to be filed to take things down, like Donald's Boat?

The "permits" filed in Orange and Osceola County are actually "Notices of Commencement". They're just documents letting the county know that property is being improved within the county.

The actual Building Permits for work taking place in WDW are obtained through Reedy Creek - the actual Authority Having Jurisdiction.

I'm not 100% sure on the rules/laws regarding when you do and do not have to file a Notice with the county. Disney files one for just about anything they do, including things as insignificant as installing new kitchen equipment in a restaurant.

As for demolition, I'm not sure I can remember seeing a NoC specifically for it. I'm sure someone on here is a bit more privy to the Florida laws. We don't file these documents in Indiana - we just get building permits from the local authority.

Rob562

The "permits" filed in Orange and Osceola County are actually "Notices of Commencement". They're just documents letting the county know that property is being improved within the county.

The actual Building Permits for work taking place in WDW are obtained through Reedy Creek - the actual Authority Having Jurisdiction.

I'm not 100% sure on the rules/laws regarding when you do and do not have to file a Notice with the county. Disney files one for just about anything they do, including things as insignificant as installing new kitchen equipment in a restaurant.

As for demolition, I'm not sure I can remember seeing a NoC specifically for it. I'm sure someone on here is a bit more privy to the Florida laws. We don't file these documents in Indiana - we just get building permits from the local authority.

The NoC's are also a step in the lien process which allows the contractor to hold claim to the work they've done until they get paid.

I didn't know that buildings in the parks had addresses either until I started reading all these filings. But when you think about it, it makes sense... A lot of legal paperwork requires an address to be listed. How do you describe something like "the carousel of progress building" in legal paperwork without giving it SOME kind of address?

-Rob

danlb_2000

Premium Member

There were permits for the demolition of Aerial's Grotto and Scuttle's Landing:

Fantasyland Expansion: (Phase 1) AG demo
Fantasyland Expansion: (Phase 1) SL demo

What's interesting is that there was a permit for the Beauty and the Beast area but I don't remember ever seeing one for Little Mermaid.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
There were permits for the demolition of Aerial's Grotto and Scuttle's Landing:

Fantasyland Expansion: (Phase 1) AG demo
Fantasyland Expansion: (Phase 1) SL demo

What's interesting is that there was a permit for the Beauty and the Beast area but I don't remember ever seeing one for Little Mermaid.

Good catch.

I just looked and there were no permits filed specifically for Mermaid. It's no different than BatB, and they filed permits for all of its components. Maybe I missed one, but during that time frame, I was extremely diligent because of the FLE stuff being posted.

Bork Bork

I thought I read on here somewhere that since LM is using existing 20K walls, it's technically not new construction. More like a really huge remodel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom