WDW Restaurant Fall Madness: Brackets/Summary

Splashman

Original Poster
For those who have not seen the Championship thread, California Grill defeated Le Cellier Steakhouse 20-14, to claim the WDW Restaurant Fall Madness Championship. Early on in the match it looked as though California Grill was going to run away with the win. Le Cellier fought its way back, but eventually fell as California Grill gained enough votes for the win. It was a well fought battle by both competitors and congratulations to California Grill for taking the top prize.

Throughout the course of the tournament, I provided the matches without giving the seed numbers in order to prevent any swaying of the vote. As promised, below are the brackets used throughout the tournament along with a summary of tournament play. The number in parenthesis () next to each competitor represents the total number of votes the restaurant received over the course of the entire tournament. Three factors were taken into consideration when creating the brackets for the tournament: my preference (70%), the restaurant's reputation (20%), and WDWMagic's opinion based on the very little comments I have read from our members over the years (10%). The brackets were (each bracket will have its own post):

Magic Kingdom Region:

1. Le Cellier Steakhouse (90) - Wins: Olivia's Cafe, Biergarten Restaurant, Narcoossee's, Rose and Crown Pub and Dining Room, Whispering Canyon Cafe; Lost in the Championship

2. Boma - Flavors of Africa (37) - Wins: Rainforest Cafe, Kona Cafe; Lost in the Sweet 16
3. Jiko - The Cooking Place (9) - Lost in the first round
4. Narcoossee's (32) - Wins: The Turf Club Bar and Grill, The Hollywood Brown Derby; Lost in the Sweet 16
5. Cape May Cafe (14) - Lost in the first round
6. Wolfgang Puck Cafe (9) - Lost in the first round
7. Kona Cafe (24) - Wins: Maya Grill; Lost in the second round
8. Akershus Royal Banquet Hall (6) - Lost in the first round
9. Biergarten Restaurant (15) - Wins: Akershus Royal Banquet Hall; Lost in the second round
10. Maya Grill (4) - Lost in the first round
11. Rose and Crown Pub and Dining Room (47) - Wins: Wolfgang Puck Cafe, 50's Prime Time Cafe, Boma - Flavors of Africa; Lost in the Elite 8
12. The Hollywood Brown Derby (17) - Wins: Cape May Cafe; Lost in the second round
13. The Turf Club Bar and Grille (3) - Lost in the first round
14. 50's Prime Time Cafe (22) - Wins: Jiko - The Cooking Place; Lost in the second round
15. Rainforest Cafe (7) - Lost in the first round
16. Olivia's Cafe (1) - Lost in the first round

Number of upsets: 6
Biggest Surprise: Rose and Crown Pub and Dining Room

Epcot Region to follow.

Splashman

Original Poster
Epcot Region:

1. Tusker House Restaurant (50) - Wins: Nine Dragons Restaurant, Liberty Tree Tavern, Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue; Lost in the Elite 8
2. Whispering Canyon Cafe (62) - Wins: Shutter's at Old Port Royale, Tutto Italia Ristorante, Via Napoli, Tusker House Restaurant; Lost in the Final Four
3. Via Napoli (34) - Wins: Restaurant Marrakesh, San Angel Inn; Lost in the Sweet 16
4. Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue (35) - Wins: Hollywood and Vine, Cinderella's Royal Table; Lost in the Sweet 16
5. Cinderella's Royal Table (27) - Wins: Big River Grille and Brewing Works; Lost in the second round
6. San Angel Inn (20) - Wins: Disney's Spirit of Aloha Show; Lost in the second round
7. Paradiso 37 (7) - Lost in the first round
8. Liberty Tree Tavern (17) - Wins: Coral Reef Restaurant; Lost in the second round
9. Coral Reef Restaurant (9) - Lost in the first round
10. Tutto Italia Ristorante (16) - Wins: Paradiso 37; Lost in the second round
11. Disney's Spirit of Aloha Show (11) - Lost in the first round
12. Big River Grille and Brewing Works (8) - Lost in the first round
13. Hollywood and Vine (5) - Lost in the first round
14. Restaurant Marrakesh (3) - Lost in the first round
15. Shutter's at Old Port Royale (1) - Lost in the first round
16. Nine Dragons Restaurant (7) - Lost in the first round

Number of upsets: 2
Biggest Surprise: Whispering Canyon Cafe

Hollywood Studios Region to follow.

Splashman

Original Poster
Hollywood Studios Region:

1. California Grill (90) - Wins: T-Rex, Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano, Chef Mickey's, Yachtsman Steakhouse, 'Ohana, Le Cellier Steakhouse; Champion
2. Yachtsman Steakhouse (37) - Wins: Ragland Road Irish Pub and Restaurant, Mickey's Backyard BBQ, Teppan Edo; Lost in the Elite 8
3. Citricos (16) - Wins: Sanaa Restaurant; Lost in the second round
4. Chef Mickey's (34) - Wins: The Plaza Restaurant, The Crystal Palace; Lost in the Sweet 16
5. Victoria and Albert's (7) - Lost in the first round
6. Sci-Fi Dine Inn Theater (9) - Lost in the first round
7. Mickey's Backyard BBQ (14) - Wins: Kouzzina by Cat Cora; Lost in the second round
8. Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano (13) - Wins: The Wave; Lost in the second round
9. The Wave (7) - Lost in the first round
10. Kouzzina by Cat Cora (11) - Lost in the first round
11. Teppan Edo (28) - Wins: Sci-Fi Dine Inn Theater, Citricos; Lost in the Sweet 16
12. The Crystal Palace (20) - Wins: Victoria and Albert's; Lost in the second round
13. The Plaza Restaurant (6) - Lost in the first round
14. Sanaa Restaurant (5) - Lost in the first round
15. Ragland Road Irish Pub and Restaurant (3) - Lost in the first round
16. T-Rex (2) - Lost in the first round

Number of upsets: 3
Biggest Surprise: Teppan Edo

Animal Kingdom Region to follow.

Splashman

Original Poster
Animal Kingdom Region:

1. Fulton's Crab House (30) - Wins: Planet Hollywood, House of Blues Restaurant; Lost in the Sweet 16
2. Les Chefs de France (28) - Wins: Boatwright's Dining Hall, The Garden Grill; Lost in the Sweet 16
3. ESPN Club (10) - Lost in the first round
4. Flying Fish Cafe (7) - Lost in the first round
5. 'Ohana (63) - Wins: Tony's Town Square, Trail's End Restaurant, Fulton's Crab House, Artist Point; Lost in the Final Four
6. Artist Point (40) - Wins: 1900 Park Fare, Yak and Yeti Restaurant, Les Chefs de France; Lost in the Elite 8
7. The Garden Grill Restaurant (18) - Wins: Portobello; Lost in the second round
8. House of Blues Restaurant (17) - Wins: Bongos Cuban Cafe; Lost in the second round
9. Bongos Cuban Cafe (10) - Lost in the first round
10. Portobello (3) - Lost in the first round
11. 1900 Park Fare (6) - Lost in the first round
12. Tony's Town Square (3) - Lost in the first round
13. Trail's End Restaurant (14) - Wins: Flying Fish Cafe; Lost in the second round
14. Yak and Yeti Restaurant (17) - Wins: ESPN Club; Lost in the second round
15. Boatwright's Dining Hall (2) - Lost in the first round
16. Planet Hollywood (6) - Lost in the first round

Number of upsets: 4
Biggest Surprise: Artist Point

Splashman

Original Poster
Well, that about covers everything. Thank you to all of those who participated throughout the course of the tournament. I had a lot of fun organizing the tournament and I hope everyone had fun voting for their favorite restaurants and following all of the matches. It was interesting to see how people voted throughout the tournament. Feel free to leave any comments or questions on the brackets above or anything else you may want to say.

Also, when I created this tournament, I also created one for the counter-service places as well. I was planning to hold off on posting it for a little while, but if anyone would be interested in having a tournament with the counter-service places, let me know and we will get it started some time in the near future.

Thanks everyone! :sohappy:

WDWmazprty

Well, that about covers everything. Thank you to all of those who participated throughout the course of the tournament. I had a lot of fun organizing the tournament and I hope everyone had fun voting for their favorite restaurants and following all of the matches. It was interesting to see how people voted throughout the tournament. Feel free to leave any comments or questions on the brackets above or anything else you may want to say.

Also, when I created this tournament, I also created one for the counter-service places as well. I was planning to hold off on posting it for a little while, but if anyone would be interested in having a tournament with the counter-service places, let me know and we will get it started some time in the near future.

Thanks everyone! :sohappy:

Definitely do the counter services! Great job Splashman!

And by the way, I'm still doing the resort tournament, so if anybody wants to vote please do so!:sohappy:

Sloan

odd early knock-out

I still don't know how the best restaurant on property(Jiko) could lose in the first round.:shrug:

That sort of made me wonder about the whole thing too .... I would pick Victoria & Albert's & Cali. Grill over Jiko, but I would put Jiko as the 3rd best on property ....

Splashman

Original Poster
I still don't know how the best restaurant on property(Jiko) could lose in the first round.:shrug:

I was a little surprised by this upset as well. I personally do not care for 50's Prime Time Cafe (who defeated Jiko), but apparently it is more popular than I gave it credit for.

Texas84

Funny how everyone thinks THEIR favorite MUST be the best. :rolleyes:

Definitely do the counter service. I vote for Casey's! :sohappy:

PhilharMagician

That sort of made me wonder about the whole thing too .... I would pick Victoria & Albert's & Cali. Grill over Jiko, but I would put Jiko as the 3rd best on property ....

Because other people have other ideas as to which is the best. Some people may prefer a buffet experience instead of an entree based meal. Jiko was knocked and so was Portobello which is also a great TS restaurant. Jiko was taken down by 50's Prime Time which is all about experience, show and old fashioned home cooking. Portobello was taken out by Garden Grill which has mediocre food at best, but the experience overlooking LWtL along with the characters adds to it's charm.

I would love to see a counter service restaurant battle. When it starts please post a link here to alert us when it starts. I do not want to miss it.

Thank you for your time Splashman. You did a great job laying it out. It has been a lot of fun.

njDizFan

Funny how everyone thinks THEIR favorite MUST be the best. :rolleyes:

Definitely do the counter service. I vote for Casey's! :sohappy:
Hey I am all for a good hot dog, hamburger or meatloaf but food is an art form. It's overall appeal is subjective but the intrinsic value can be quantified. The qualify of ingredients, presentation, preperation, visual appearance of surroundings, not to mention the most important thing which is taste. A well balanced variety of flavors, textures and nuance.

If you like 50's Prime Time( as I also do) that's fine but to compare it's overall dining experience superior to Jiko, V&A, and Cali is disingenuous

BrowncoatChelle

To be honest, Jiko didn't strike my fancy whatsoever, while I adored 50s Primetime Cafe. I love the being bratty part and getting stood in the corner. Makes mealtimes fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom