FYI: New Florida laws

SpongeScott

Original Poster
Beginning Saturday, October 1, the base fine for running a red light in Florida will increase from $60 to $125. The increase in money will go to fund trauma centers.
http://www.sptimes.com/2005/09/29/State/Running_red_light_bec.shtml

Also, a new law in Florida "authorizes nervous or frightened residents to use deadly force."
http://www.sptimes.com/2005/09/29/State/The_shoot_first_state.shtml

bcam_ad.jpg

speck76

Tim G

I knew it was coming...

In other words...

Go into the park, don't say anything about line hopping... if you do, you might get hurt... :( :( :(

MKCustodial

Man, this is insane... I wonder if someone is gonna come in here and actually try to prove to the rest of us what a great idea this is. :rolleyes:

Shaman

barnum42 said:
I'm trying to figure out if this is a joke or real :confused:

ahem...Florida will be Florida....the joke is not in the law...but the state....

That being said...I just curl up in the fetal position and sing Disney tunes trying not to think about it...I mean after all, it could be much worse...

:lookaroun

:lol:

Shaman

MKCustodial said:
But the people of Florida can't do anything about it? I mean, protest against it or talk to the state politicians?

They could. But again, it's Florida...people here are too preoccupied with the shiny lights....

Didn't people vote for the law? *tries to remember, ohhhh shiny light*

:lookaroun

Nemo14

SpongeScott said:
Beginning Saturday, October 1, the base fine for running a red light in Florida will increase from $60 to $125. The increase in money will go to fund trauma centers.
http://www.sptimes.com/2005/09/29/State/Running_red_light_bec.shtml

Also, a new law in Florida "authorizes nervous or frightened residents to use deadly force."
http://www.sptimes.com/2005/09/29/State/The_shoot_first_state.shtml

bcam_ad.jpg
So if getting a ticket for running a light makes me nervous, it's OK to use deadly force?

MKCustodial

Nemo14 said:
So if getting a ticket for running a light makes me nervous, it's OK to use deadly force?

Nice loophole. :lol: And if I'm nervous about the new law, is it ok for me to use deadly force against the state government?

EDIT: I just visited that website. This thing is going national? What the heck is wrong with those politicians?!?

wannab@dis

I'll play devil's advocate... what's the big difference between this and most of the self defense 'rulings'? Whether it was written into law or not, show me a prosecutor that would go after someone for defending themselves. I haven't read the whole thing, so there may be some civil protections that are new.

article linked above said:
The law gives broad legal protections to a person who is attacked not only at home, but "any other place where he or she has a right to be," and removes a common-law duty to retreat in the face of attack. A person being attacked will have "the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force," not only at home but in public places.

Sounds like common sense to me. Whether it was 'legalized by law' or not, I have a feeling that most would defend themselves and their families.

I wonder how many actually looked at this more than just the graphic that was posted. The special interest groups like to leave out the truth when they are trying to 'sell' their side. Edit: ShootFirstLaw.com is a special interest group that utilizes propaganda to further their point. Be wary.

ogryn

That Muslim person driving behind me is making me nervous. What if he's a terrorist? Maybe he's got a car bomb? I'm going to shoot him.....

MKCustodial

wannab@dis said:
Sounds like common sense to me. Whether it was 'legalized by law' or not, I have a feeling that most would defend themselves and their families.

But the way I understood the explanation of the law posted on the site, basically the guy can just say "I felt threatened and get away with it". Is there a level to the "threat"? I mean, as pointed here, a simple argument because someone cut the line at WDW may become deadly. The guy may shoot me and state he fel threatened. I won't be alive to tell my version, right?

wannab@dis

MKCustodial said:
But the way I understood the explanation of the law posted on the site, basically the guy can just say "I felt threatened and get away with it". Is there a level to the "threat"? I mean, as pointed here, a simple argument because someone cut the line at WDW may become deadly. The guy may shoot me and state he fel threatened. I won't be alive to tell my version, right?

No, it would still come under scrutiny by law enforcement. Also, keep in mind that the law only protects lethal selft defense for people that have gun carry permit. Those are only given after background checks and training.

The image and story are about an ADVERTISING campaign that is being run by a gun control group and they are taking liberty with the wording of their ads. You'll note that the law was passed with bi-partisan support. The democrats are usually against anything that would appear to promote gun usage. The law is not a right to kill law.

Shaman

MKCustodial said:

Exactly...which means all anyone needs is a story and good lawyer....and BAM...you're innocent.

I don't need a law to tell me I can defend myself...a law like this only gives people who may not be innocent a "get out of jail free" card....this law is ammunition for lawyers...

ooooh shiny light....:dazzle:

:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom