Any thoughts on the new BGM at the Poly?

BellaBelle27

Original Poster
I was browsing Tikiman's Polynesian-dedicated site and was surprised to see that the music loop played in the resort has been completely changed. Since he confirms it, I'm just curious - has anyone heard the new music on a recent trip? Any opinions? I must say I'll miss the old loop...I listen to it all the time to relax. I hope the new sounds are just as good!

In case anyone was curious: http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/news/174-around-thae-resort

:)

ptaylor

Premium Member
I was there at the weekend and I didn't notice it being significantly different. I'm not a Poly BGM expert, but whatever was playing sounded very similar to what used to be there.

Horizonstta

The new loop is right about four hours long, compared to the prior 53 minute loop. I enjoy the new version as much as the old one, although there is one song in the old loop I was very fond of.

Optimus Mouse

While I have no thoughts on the Polynesian's musical selection, do my eyes deceive me or did I just read an acronym for background music (BGM)?!?! :eek:

The acronym madness here has got to stop. I feel like I'm reading texts from my pre-teen nephew half of the time.

Spike-in-Berlin

Actually BGM is a very common acronym.

I really hope they didn't change it too much. I am finally less than 7 weeks away from my first stay at the Poly and I loved the music I heard for months on Tikimans page. I now a lot of Polynesian and Hawaiian tunes, that I hope are at least partially included in the new music.

Eyorefan

While I have no thoughts on the Polynesian's musical selection, do my eyes deceive me or did I just read an acronym for background music (BGM)?!?! :eek:

The acronym madness here has got to stop. I feel like I'm reading texts from my pre-teen nephew half of the time.

Seriously people need to get over acronyms. Its part of being on an internet discussion board.

I have not heard the new BGM, but as long as it fits the themeing of the resort I don't have a problem with it.

Horizonstta

I really hope they didn't change it too much. I am finally less than 7 weeks away from my first stay at the Poly and I loved the music I heard for months on Tikimans page. I now a lot of Polynesian and Hawaiian tunes, that I hope are at least partially included in the new music.

I don't recall any overlap between the two.

BrerFrog

BGM is a pretty common acronym on the internet.

Did Knee

I gotta agree with the guy that complained about the acronym. I saw this was a thread about a BGM at the poly and my first thought was "why dont they get a shovel and some lysol and take care of that"? :lol:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

Actually BGM is a very common acronym.

Seriously people need to get over acronyms. Its part of being on an internet discussion board.

I have not heard the new BGM, but as long as it fits the themeing of the resort I don't have a problem with it.

BGM is a pretty common acronym on the internet.

I agree BGM is very common. It's not like it's going to get an AFOA award or anything. :lol:

cslafferty

I gotta agree with the guy that complained about the acronym. I saw this was a thread about a BGM at the poly and my first thought was "why dont they get a shovel and some lysol and take care of that"? :lol:

HILARIOUS!! Best post I've read yet!!:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Figment1986

I'll have to stop by and listen to it when im aound poly next time... as long as it's not like they change they did in liberty square and throw the music out of the time period, then i'm for change.

IDK My BFF TTA :lookaroun:zipit:

dreamfinder

Oy. Go hang out on some of the Disney music boards. They bring a whole new bunch of acronyms to the table. BGM is just the start.

This post reminds me though, I need to try to dig up their holiday BGM playlist. I really liked that and need to try to locate some of that music.

Horizonstta

This post reminds me though, I need to try to dig up their holiday BGM playlist. I really liked that and need to try to locate some of that music.

Well, there's good news and bad news. First the good news. The entire holiday BGM is sourced from a single CD, released in 1993, called Hawaii's Favorite Christmas Songs. The bad news is that this CD has been re-released several times over the years and I've had no luck finding a copy of the 1993 version. You can, however, easily find the more recent release that includes 10 of the 16 tracks in the loop. More information on this loop can be found here.

dreamfinder

Well, there's good news and bad news. First the good news. The entire holiday BGM is sourced from a single CD, released in 1993, called Hawaii's Favorite Christmas Songs. The bad news is that this CD has been re-released several times over the years and I've had no luck finding a copy of the 1993 version. You can, however, easily find the more recent release that includes 10 of the 16 tracks in the loop. More information on this loop can be found here.

Well thats convenient. I started to dig throug MagicMusic's board earlier this morning, but got side tracked by some other stuff. I saw a post (from you perhaps?) on the blog saying they had no intention of figuring out the loop so started to give up hope. Now I just need to track down the un available cd from 17 years ago? Thats a piece of cake........ : (

Horizonstta

Well thats convenient. I started to dig throug MagicMusic's board earlier this morning, but got side tracked by some other stuff. I saw a post (from you perhaps?) on the blog saying they had no intention of figuring out the loop so started to give up hope. Now I just need to track down the un available cd from 17 years ago? Thats a piece of cake........ : (

I did say that, but I later found the recent CD when I was trying to find the song Numbah One Day of Christmas for my daughter. While there's a couple hundred thousand versions of Silent night out there, I figured there couldn't be more than a few versions of this particular song. Once I found it, the newer CD had 10 of the tracks and another member on MagicMusic determined the prior release had all of the tracks.

If you do find the CD, let us know.

BellaBelle27

Original Poster
The new loop is right about four hours long, compared to the prior 53 minute loop. I enjoy the new version as much as the old one, although there is one song in the old loop I was very fond of.

Interesting...I always thought the old loop was a bit short (although I still adored it). If you hung around by say the pool long enough, it was noticeably repetitive. I'm just glad it's still on-theme by all accounts.

kaos

BGM can make or break a theme park, themed area, or even a retail store. I am in the process of transferring my families old Super8 Sound films and discovered that the TL BGM appears to not have changed since the 1970's- I venture a guess that it hasn't changed at all, but I haven't gotten to full 90 minute film yet to confirm. I also have some footage from the 1950's of DL that we stumbled across- can't wait to transfer that!

And yes, acronyms are part of the deal when participating in an on-line forum. Make the best of it, use your brain, and you can figure out most of the acronyms based on context. When I post, I always try to use the full name of the attraction, show, whatever in the first line or so, then the acronym after that. Granted, I don't always remember to do it.

On a side, I had someone tell me the other day that they type faster in shorthand; my comment was that since I know how to type, it actually works out that I type faster than they shorthand. A lost art these days...

mp2bill

I haven't heard the new stuff, but I like the old stuff. I'm sure I'll get used to and love the new music as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom