Opening Magic Kingdom

poohbear6103

I heard that if you get there early, a CM will pick you put of a crowd and ask if you would like to be involved. I have been trying to do that for a while now but with no luck. I am assuming one would have better luck with children in your group. Maybe strike up a conversation with a CM there and ask. Who knows, you may get chosen.

Magic Maker

Same way the Grand Marshalls are...

1) Luck!

2) Somehow Disney gets word about an extreme circumstance in a Guest's life (good or bad) and selects them for this special occassion based on that.

funkyshaker

When I was at the Magic Kingdom in June the family infront of me got selected before they went through the ticket barrier. Wife, husband and two kids - just lucky I suppose. Right place, right time.

RandeB

We Did It

2001-My daughter, then 8, asked when we were just standing around at the turnstiles (there were already quite a few folks there) asked the nice CM if he had picked a family to open the park and he said, "No, you're it."

We were on the left side (facing the station), traditionally less crowded. It was just one kid (at that time), two parents, and a sibling to record it on tape. I always thought they picked families with at least two kids.

funkyshaker

RandeB said:
2001-My daughter, then 8, asked when we were just standing around at the turnstiles (there were already quite a few folks there) asked the nice CM if he had picked a family to open the park and he said, "No, you're it."

We were on the left side (facing the station), traditionally less crowded. It was just one kid (at that time), two parents, and a sibling to record it on tape. I always thought they picked families with at least two kids.

The family picked when I was there were also on the left side facing the station.

What do you actually get to do? Is this just a magic Kingdom thing? I have never been to a park "Before" opening I never saw the point, I had no clue there was an event taking place to do, it sounds really neat.

tigger1968

Magic Maker said:
Same way the Grand Marshalls are...

1) Luck!

2) Somehow Disney gets word about an extreme circumstance in a Guest's life (good or bad) and selects them for this special occassion based on that.

Number 1 is true, Number 2 is not. It's a totally random thing. My wife and I were picked as Grand Marshalls a few years back, and we had a long conversation with the CM about things he had seen and heard while doing the job. He did say that they are frequently asked by guests to be in either event, but that they make a decision in the park that day. He even talked about all the bribes he's been offered! :lol: At any rate, that was the coolest, most magical day of my life, that's for sure! :sohappy:

funkyshaker

The family that I saw being picked got to travel on the train which stopped at the main street station. They then helped open the park.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have opened Epcot twice. What we did was strike up a conversation with the cast member right up against the ropes. I have never asked to be chosen but it might not hurt.

Captain Hank

Julius & Boobah said:
Sorry again to be so clueless but what are grand marshalls? Is this like the family that get to be part of parades?? Am I close? lol
Yup, the grand marshalls get to ride in the parade. Also, each park has some sort of opening thing, but the Magic Kingdom's is the most elaborate. Mickey and other characters ride in on the train, and there's dancing and singing, with a family picked to count down the seconds until the park opens, then throw pixie dust to open the park.

shmmrname

I fancy myself our WDW Trip Leader, yet I was completely unaware of any of this. We usually are late sleepers, and even the days we plan to arrive early we end up being just behind all of you go-getters. Now maybe this little tidbit of Magic will get the others in gear next time.

Captain Hank said:
Yup, the grand marshalls get to ride in the parade. Also, each park has some sort of opening thing, but the Magic Kingdom's is the most elaborate. Mickey and other characters ride in on the train, and there's dancing and singing, with a family picked to count down the seconds until the park opens, then throw pixie dust to open the park.

Sounds really cute, I think we'll try and get there to see this on our next trip, are there usually many people waiting?

Magic Maker

tigger1968 said:
Number 1 is true, Number 2 is not. It's a totally random thing. My wife and I were picked as Grand Marshalls a few years back, and we had a long conversation with the CM about things he had seen and heard while doing the job. He did say that they are frequently asked by guests to be in either event, but that they make a decision in the park that day. He even talked about all the bribes he's been offered! :lol: At any rate, that was the coolest, most magical day of my life, that's for sure! :sohappy:

Ok let me clarify :)

Numer 2 is true. I worked at MK for a year and I worked alongside the lucky man who picks the Grand Marshalls for a living.

Chances are if one asks to be a Grand Marshall it will not happen. However, if during an normal interaction or communication with the right people there is a small chance that you will become the Grand Marshalls. It is a very slight chance, but it happens none the less. My apologies for any misscommunication.

Again, it will not happen if the Guests ask.

bluefaery

When I went to WDW back in april w/ my boyfriend. I talked to a CM right after the park opening about the 3pm parade. I told him my b/f had just got back from Iraq (which he did), and that it was OUR dream to be GM of a parade. He said that he wasn't sure what he could do, but just then MIckey came over and the CM told Mickey what I told him. Mickey then took my hand and I grabed my b/fs, then we were "dragged" to the backstage area over by the firehouse told to wait there and about 45 seconds later a CM that I guess was in charge of the emporium came out, let us to the emporium and told us that we could each get 1 thing on the house. After we picked out what we wanted, I asked why he had done that. "It's my way of saying thank you" he said. I got a stitch zip up sweater jacket (it was kinda cold at night) and Adam got the clue HM version. We said out thanks and good byes. By the time we left I was in tears. Neadless to say we didn't get to be the GM in the parade but it hink this was better.

Chrissie

Texas84

When I went to WDW back in april w/ my boyfriend. I talked to a CM right after the park opening about the 3pm parade. I told him my b/f had just got back from Iraq (which he did), and that it was OUR dream to be GM of a parade. He said that he wasn't sure what he could do, but just then MIckey came over and the CM told Mickey what I told him. Mickey then took my hand and I grabed my b/fs, then we were "dragged" to the backstage area over by the firehouse told to wait there and about 45 seconds later a CM that I guess was in charge of the emporium came out, let us to the emporium and told us that we could each get 1 thing on the house. After we picked out what we wanted, I asked why he had done that. "It's my way of saying thank you" he said. I got a stitch zip up sweater jacket (it was kinda cold at night) and Adam got the clue HM version. We said out thanks and good byes. By the time we left I was in tears. Neadless to say we didn't get to be the GM in the parade but it hink this was better.

Chrissie
GREAT story. Thanks! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom