Maroon Cartoon Studios?

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
As we all well know that we don't see Roger Rabbit any more within Disney Studios I notice that there is a big billboard with Roger, Jessica & Baby Herman promoting Maroon Studios. My question is this..Was there ever plans to make a section based on Maroon Studios at the park which we would have found Roger Rabbit's CARtoon Spin? I tried looking through Jim Hill's Site and came up empty.

gboiler1

Sorry, don't know the answer to your question, but I think that would be a great addition to the Studios. Disneyland's Toontown is a fun addition w/outstanding themeing. However, that may be too much of a copycat, even for Disney. The idea of a Maroon Studios, if the licensing is there would/could be something and a great addition!

I.M.Fearless

Well, sorta. There WAS to be a couple of Roger Rabbit attractions (a rollercoaster and a simulator) on Sunset Boulevard, but the idea was dropped in favor of a certain haunted elevator. I don't know if the Maroon Studios connection was to be made; perhaps it was to be more of a Toontown area.

Jusjuice

Yea, Jim Hill wrote a story on it. I would check his site again or Laughingplace to see if anything turns up.

There was a plan for a Maroon Cartoon Studios at MGM. The proposed site was about where the Rockin' Roller Coaster is now. You would have entered off Sunset Boulevard, and it would have been a 1940's style studio inhabited by cartoon characters.
Baby Herman's Runaway Buggy ride would have taken passengers or "stunt doubles" through the cartoon short "Tummy Trouble".
The Toontown Trolley would be a simulator where you traveled through Toontown with your driver, Roger Rabbit.
Also, they hoped to include some type of Benny the Cab ride, either like the one at DL, or more of a wild mouse ride.
Lastly they proposed building a huge, out of control roller coaster based on the "Roller Coaster Rabbit" cartoon.

A combination of Disney's fading relations with Amblin/Speilberg and the huge price tag on this area led to its demise.

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
Wowzers! Thanks for the info..At least I'm not left in the dark about that. Too bad it would never seen the light of day. To be honest I would have figured they would have done it around the Disney Afternoon character Bonkers. He himself lives in Toontown they could have easily done it with him instead of Roger..But, then you think after several years and not being aired NOT EVEN on Toon Disney It would have been pretty cool to see it.

Jusjuice said:
A combination of Disney's fading relations with Amblin/Speilberg and the huge price tag on this area led to its demise.

Maybe with Eisner finally leaving Disney, maybe the possibilities of this area seeing the light of day will return.

After all, with Eisner gone, the company will probably start spending more money again and fix the company's relations with Amblin/Spielberg, in addition to Pixar, etc.

Before anyone starts getting snippy with me again, I know that I've said this countless times before, but I just had to get it out.

Jusjuice

As much as I'd love to see this land get built, I don't see it happening any time soon. Roger Rabbit has been forced out of the spotlight for about 10+ years since the relations with Speilberg was destroyed, so he's not exactly in the front of Disney executives' minds right now. The only way I think it would ever come into being is if Speilberg decides he wants to do a sequel.

Jusjuice said:
As much as I'd love to see this land get built, I don't see it happening any time soon. Roger Rabbit has been forced out of the spotlight for about 10+ years since the relations with Speilberg was destroyed, so he's not exactly in the front of Disney executives' minds right now. The only way I think it would ever come into being is if Speilberg decides he wants to do a sequel.

Please don't be a pessimist!

wdwishes2005 said:
the polite term is optimistically challenged....

Thanks for a more polite term to use.

So, then, everybody, the likelihood of things like this happening can be increased if you all can overcome being optimistically challenged.

I also often think that two others way that they could get this worked out is 1) if they rewrite their contract allowing Disney more freedom and fuller usage of the Roger Rabbit properties or 2) if Disney buys or takes back Spielberg's interest in R.R., giving Disney full rights to the R.R. properties once again.

CoffeeJedi

i remember the first year MGM was open, it was covered in Roger Rabbit references. but it wasn't like Stitch is today where he's shoe-horned in where he doesn't belong; the Golden Age of Hollywood feel of the Studios combined with the Disney Magic and cartoon elements lent itself perfectly to a WFRR setting. It was only natural that a Maroon Studios / Toontown expansion would be built. (as well as the Dikc Tracy ride)

I think with things like the dreaded Hat and RnRC (which i love btw!) they've sadly gotten away from the original "Hollywood that never was" concept.

Jusjuice

disneyphilip said:
Please don't be a pessimist!

I'm not trying to be a pessimist. I'm just pointing out the fact that current Disney management doesn't exactly consider Roger Rabbit a "hot property." The walk-around Roger has practically vanished from WDW. There has been a recent influx of Roger-Jessica merchandise lately, though. If Roger could garner a huge cult-like fan following, like NBX, I could see a comeback, and possible attractions. But for now, I have a feeling we'll be seeing more recent properties make their way into MGM.

mitchk

Roger Rabbit, Muppets, anything. They need to add something to MGM quick. The park has three rides worth doing (ToT, Rockin coaster, and Great movie ride), and maybe two shows (Muppets 3D, and LMA). When I was there, I was in and out in two hours. Well, my girlfriend doesn't ride ToT, or Rockin coaster, so we get one fast pass for both rides, which really saves time, and while we are waiting for the fastpass time we have about an hour and a half to see the Muppets, and the great movie ride. My point is MGM needs at least two more E-ticket rides.:snore:

I dont know if this is exactly what you are all refering to, but they DID have a maroon studios type thing at MGM. I remember when i was little they had the big warehouse that was themed like the one in the movie with all sorts of goofy props from the movie. it had a big steamroller crashing through the wall that i took a picture making it seem like it was running me over. they had those boxes you lifted up that made funny noises. it was right next to where the honey i shrunk the kids play ground is today. also inside they had a place where you could take a themed photo where you dressed up in costumes and stuff. it was a pretty amusing place, i have the video of it from that trip. Again i dont know if this is what you are all refering to, but it was definitely there

SpenceMan01

I remember reading in a book somewhere, several years ago (back when MGM was fairly new), that there were plans to add a second street to MGM. There was going to be a Roger Rabbit ride that was, essentially, Toon Car Spin from DL. Looks like it went there instead of MGM.

Jusjuice said:
I'm not trying to be a pessimist. I'm just pointing out the fact that current Disney management doesn't exactly consider Roger Rabbit a "hot property."

Well, let's just say that you're optimistically-challenged.

The walk-around Roger has practically vanished from WDW.

Ah, so what?!:mad:

They can always make new agreements to bring him back...AND THEY WILL!

Despite what a lot of you may think, he actually IS still a hot property, so please STOP contradicting what I'm saying!

There has been a recent influx of Roger-Jessica merchandise lately, though.

That's true...and let's take that as a good sign, shall we? If new merchandise is already, then things like a comeback of the Roger walk-around should be next!

If Roger could garner a huge cult-like fan following, like NBX, I could see a comeback, and possible attractions.

He already has a big cult following. A LOT of people still know who he is, not just us hardcore fans!

If people keep being optimistically-challenged here, nothing good will ever happen!:mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom