Spaceship Earth Sponsor

rolm

Original Poster
I heard (maybe a rumor) from someone who attended a Florida Telecommunications meeting that Siemens www.siemens.com has signed or is signing a contract with Disney to sponsor Spaceship Earth. Has anyone else heard this? This was announced at a function named JustUS in Orlando this year.

Siemens has been in the Telecomm business since 1850 and would seem a good fit. It's a German company.

monorail_driver

I miss AT&T ... but, since that's not happening, I hope Siemens, or another sponsor, moves in so Spaceship Earth can hopefully get the funding (and sponsorship) it deserves!

BTW, AT&T is getting "free" advertising, as on your descent, the screens where the families are communicating to each other from different points of the world has the AT&T logo (with name underneath it) on the corner of the screen.

I just thought AT&T was the perfect sponsor, seeing their logo even resembles SE, with some imagination of course. But Siemens looks like a very clean-cut company, as seen from their website, althought I will miss the "blue and white" colors. I don't know how orange will look in SE, as it seems to be Siemens main color.

disneyplanet

[font=&quot]As quoted in and earlier post. Found in a trade magazine (I work in telecom and worked at one time with TCI and now in wireless).

"The old AT&T giant is gone and divisions were debating (courts), Who would live up to the old agreement with Disney (it was listed as an assent in the company portfolio at one time)." Some of the old AT&T management was devided between the three.

SBC (also own Yahoo) = was AT&T long-distance
Cingular = was AT&T wireless
Comcast = was AT&T broadband (cable was TCI)

It may take awhile.(Courts).. Who know Verizion was also trying to claim interest in it at one point because they bought up some of there old local markets in the south (parts of bell south which became verizion had agreements with TCI because they almost merged in late 90s). So who know you could have James earl doing the narration.

It was in a trade magazine last Nov.

sort of like MS was going to be sponcered by Compaq until HP bought them. but when you have Three companys that bough the sponcer who wins.
[/font]

Figment1986

I thought Sponsorship ceased before AT&T dissappeared.... (or before what was left dissappeared..)

I remember the Microsoft rumor and not this rumor...

The problem is do we have positive facts or just over hearing things to back them up??

disneyplanet

[font=&quot]I believe thats not correct. around 1999 it started with TCI (comcast) was the first to take a bite out of the Giant and said they were in-control. AT&T and TCI stock merged then parts split back off. There was an internal power struggle of who was in control of AT&T. then the whole sponsorship became muddled by TCI management that took control of AT&T and was battling with AT&T wireless management and AT&T long-distance management. Who owned the logo? So after that the sponsorship kind of ended and logos were slowly removed.

it all went sort of like Leo the Lion at MGM but not as well known.

a little history and some view into corp AT&T, TCI, SBC, & ?, ?. alot more that was not seen in press but in trade mags and inter office memo that I saw.
http://news.com.com/2100-1033-221880.html?legacy=cnet
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business/jan-june98/att_6-24.html
part of the fight of who owns what. toward the end after TCI battled the two. the Two could not agree who had what.
http://cellphones.engadget.com/entry/1234000163029846/

[/font]And the sponsorship, the price tag and logo was in the middle and a small part and a casually. Nobody inside the company could decied who owned the logo and who owned the sponcership thereby who would pay for it, so the sponsorship ended .

Scooter

Figment1986 said:
I thought Sponsorship ceased before AT&T dissappeared.... (or before what was left dissappeared..)

I remember the Microsoft rumor and not this rumor...

The problem is do we have positive facts or just over hearing things to back them up??

Don't mean to sound coy, but if we had positive facts, this probably wouldn't be in the rumor section. :rolleyes: :lol:

tn1999

NOTE: Siemens would also be a good fit for Wonders of Life (another dying attraction) because Siemens is also in the medical technology field AND is lead competitors with Disney's once upon a time partner GE which has GE medical/medical equipment.

cloudboy

Gee, if Seimens DOES take over sponsorship of Spaceship Earth, maybe they will put some Seimens transportation technology in there and finally do something about those ride vehicles!

egionet

rolm said:
I heard (maybe a rumor) from someone who attended a Florida Telecommunications meeting that Siemens www.siemens.com has signed or is signing a contract with Disney to sponsor Spaceship Earth. Has anyone else heard this? This was announced at a function named JustUS in Orlando this year.

Siemens has been in the Telecomm business since 1850 and would seem a good fit. It's a German company.

From what I've heard, the Siemens sponsorship is going to happen. I have a friend who works for the company that is going to be in charge of all the marketing for the sponsorship. They are trying to talk her into moving to Orlando and be on their marketing team, but she doesn't want to.

Since SSE looks horrible with no sponsorship, hopefully this deal will go through :sohappy:

Number_6

The funny thing about the AT&T sponsorship is that the AT&T logo is still on all of the video screens in the back half of the attraction and also etched into some of the glass displays holding the screens.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
tn1999 said:
NOTE: Siemens would also be a good fit for Wonders of Life (another dying attraction) because Siemens is also in the medical technology field AND is lead competitors with Disney's once upon a time partner GE which has GE medical/medical equipment.
i thought you were going somewhere else with that........... glad you didnt.

secondly, since AT&T doesnt exist anymore, now cingular, oh lets hope that they dont sponsor it......... they would probably want to paint the geosphere orange. how tragic

brkgnews

This wouldn't be a bad thing, by any stretch of the imagination. Now... if we can just convince the high-ranking folks in the company to tell Diz "We'll spnsor it if you'll take down that ugly-a$$ wand.

:lol:

rolm

Original Poster
The company color is a Teal color, sort of light blue in color. Everything I've seen from Siemens has been that type of blue. I don't think the intent is to change the ride in anyway other than but their logo in certain spots like AT&T did.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
brkgnews said:
This wouldn't be a bad thing, by any stretch of the imagination. Now... if we can just convince the high-ranking folks in the company to tell Diz "We'll spnsor it if you'll take down that ugly-a$$ wand.

:lol:
amen

Dayma

rolm said:
The company color is a Teal color, sort of light blue in color. Everything I've seen from Siemens has been that type of blue. I don't think the intent is to change the ride in anyway other than but their logo in certain spots like AT&T did.

If that is true I am very VERY VERY happy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom