11 Night Mediterranean Cruise – Mouse style!

11 nights in the Mediterranean!! With the Mouse!!:sohappy:

I got a last minute travel agent special too great to pass up! Anyone who knows me, knows how much I love Disney cruises. This was my fifth! When this deal came out, I was scrambling to make it work.

Dh couldn’t get off work for two weeks, but he was beyond sweet and told me to go ahead! I knew the kids would love it too, but there was no way Ds15 could miss two weeks of high school. Dd12 however, no problem! I talked to Ds who insisted he could go at first. After a week passed, I decided to talk to him again.

The conversation went like this –

“So, about this cruise…” – Me
“Mmhmm” – Him
“You know there’s no way you can miss two weeks of school, don’t you?” –Me
“Yeah, I know.” – Him
“So you won’t be bitter if I go?” – Me, sounding hopeful
“No, I guess not.” – Him
“Would you be bitter if I took your sister?” – Me
After an eternal silence – “No, but you’re going to have to buy me off.” – Him (obviously my child):lookaroun

Now, who else to bring? My parents were tempted, but Mom felt like it was someone else’s turn since she took advantage of the last travel agent special cruise with me. I started talking to friends, and one, Debbie, didn’t hesitate, she was in! She didn’t mind taking her dd14 out of school for this kind of opportunity. And bonus, she has a ds17 who could commiserate with my ds15 while we were gone. We talked to the girl’s teachers and got the green light. Woo hoo!

My parents were still toying around with going. I checked the military specials and there was a great one. They got a category 5, verandah, for an 11 night cruise for $2300. Total. For two people. :eek: Pretty amazing!
I realized my in-laws wouldn’t want to pass that up either, so they booked a verandah too.

Here we all are. These photos are your teasers for different parts of the trip!

Dd and I:
2MedCruiseMalta119.jpg

Debbie and her dd:
3MedCruise017.jpg

My parents:
5MedCruise102.jpg

My inlaws:
7MedCruise274.jpg

The scene was set, we were ready to plan! And we only had about 6 weeks to do it!

About three weeks before the cruise, we got our room assignment. A verandah!! I couldn’t believe it! With all of my cruises, we’d never splurged for one before. We’ve always been happy enough with our portholes. I was crazy excited to try a verandah, though. What a perfect cruise to have one on!:sohappy:

About a week before we left, the Icelandic volcano started to erupt, shutting down European airspace for days. We were flying directly into Barcelona, which thankfully wasn’t immediately shut down. I was pretty worried we weren’t going to make it, and incredibly thankful we purchased trip insurance. I DID NOT want to use it, but it sure provided some piece of mind.

I have to tell you, of all the reasons I thought we might have to use our trip insurance, illness, flight delays, etc., a volcano in Iceland never crossed my mind!:lol:

I had also devised about 13 alternate plans to get there, including – flying into Madrid if it was still open, flying anywhere in Europe we could get to, flying into Morocco and taking the train/ferry/train to Barcelona, and meeting the cruise at any port we could get to.

Well, thankfully, about two days before we left, everything started to open again. Woo hoo, indeed!

After several days spent researching ports and excursions, little bit of shopping, and lots of packing, the big day had finally arrived!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Thursday, April 22nd, Day 1 – Crazy long travel day to Barcelona

Our flight left at 6 am, so we left the house at 4. We were excited so it wasn’t too hard to wake up. We flew from Colorado Springs to Dallas, to JFK, then finally to Barcelona. Our Barcelona flight was delayed about an hour. It was an 8 hour flight, and to adjust to the time change, we really needed to sleep.

For some reasons I don’t understand, dinner wasn’t served until we’d been in the air about 2 ½ hours. It was 9:15! 9:15? Not Barcelona time, NYC time. That seriously cut in to our sleeping time. There were some movies to watch, but they seemed like really odd choices. Star Trek? Now, I loved that movie as much as the next person, I’ve seen it 3 times and I’ll admit, I watched it again. But that movie has been on DVD for months! What happened to new movies on flights?

I managed to get about 4 hours of sleep, off and on.

Wilt Dasney

Sounds like a great time. I look forward to following this and seeing which ports you stopped at. The Mediterranean is such an interesting area to me, right in the middle of 3 continents.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Friday, April 23rd, Day 2 – Barcelona!

Well, we made it! We were in Spain. After we breezed through customs, we went to wait for our bags. We waited and waited. Our bags took an hour and a half! Mercy! I wasn’t too stressed though. I was just relieved we were there.

We didn’t take Disney transfers, but it was sure exciting to see them waving those Mickey gloves in the airport for the people that did!:sohappy:

We had a shuttle reserved and it was waiting for us. On the ride to the hotel, we saw the Magic in port, and we all cheered. I love that ship. It just makes me happy.:)

Our first night there we were staying in a brand new hotel that had only been open a few weeks. It had a great travel agent rate, and was one of the few hotels we found that would sleep 4 people in a room. It was called Hotel Novotel Barcelona City. It was very modern and nice.

Here's the lobby:

1MedCruise2_filtered.jpg

We dropped off our bags in our rooms, and headed out for the day. We didn’t want to stay in the room too long, in case the beds seduced us.:lol:

We walked across the street to a mall for an early lunch. The girls and I ended up eating at a Subway. How very American of us.:D

1MedCruise8.jpg

After that we walked to the nearest metro stop and rode to Sagrada Famalia. Barcelona’s metro was great. Easy to use, clean and inexpensive.
Sagrada Famalia was crazy. When we got up to street level, we turned around and whoa! There she was. Ginormous! Still under construction. Has been for years and years, will be for 50+ more. It was beautiful, nonetheless.

1MedCruise18.jpg

1MedCruise22.jpg

1MedCruise29.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Next we rode to the closest stop to Park Guell. Park Guell was quite a hike from the metro stop. Mostly uphill. Here's mom and mil taking a break:

1MedCruise44.jpg

But everyone made it, and we were rewarded with some gorgeous city views and a fascinating park.

1MedCruise55.jpg

1MedCruise57.jpg

1MedCruise52.jpg

1MedCruise67.jpg

1MedCruise69.jpg

1MedCruise77.jpg

After this we had planned on going to the Magic Fountains, but we were exhausted from the lack of sleep and amount of walking we had done. We went back to the hotel, stopping at Burger King on the way for dinner :)D) in our room.

Everyone in my room started drifting off around 6:00. I tried to stay up until 7:30, but I was gone by 6:45. :)

Tomorrow we board the Magic!:sohappy:

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Sounds like a great time. I look forward to following this and seeing which ports you stopped at. The Mediterranean is such an interesting area to me, right in the middle of 3 continents.

Thanks, Wilt! The Mediterranean was beautiful, the ports were great! More to come!

Nicole220

Oh my god. You + your amazing photography skills + the Mediterranean = me on the floor. I cannot wait to see the rest of this! Thank you for giving me an excuse to not study for my finals. :lol:

minnie2000

Great trip report! I would love to do a cruise, but I have a bit of a phobia about boats. If I ever did go on a cruise, it would have to be a Disney one! (I'm actually very tempted by the Med. cruise) :lookaroun

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Oh my god. You + your amazing photography skills + the Mediterranean = me on the floor. I cannot wait to see the rest of this! Thank you for giving me an excuse to not study for my finals. :lol:

Haha! You're very welcome, Nicole!:lol:

Great trip report! I would love to do a cruise, but I have a bit of a phobia about boats. If I ever did go on a cruise, it would have to be a Disney one! (I'm actually very tempted by the Med. cruise) :lookaroun

Do it, Minnie! They tell you on cruises, this is not a boat, it's a ship! :lol: So there, you're good!
The Med cruise is a once in a lifetime kind of experience. Even if you hope to do it more than once!:eek:

eagles

yippee! loving it tammy. can't wait for more. all of you look great. if it wasn't for the flying part i would love to do a med cruise.

more, more,more

HollyBelle

Wooohoo! You've started your cruise report... I can't wait to see all the pictures, including the Leaning Tower of Pisa pics. :lol: On our flight home from our own cruise this past weekend, I remember thinking... "I hope Tammy's started her cruise report!" No really, I really did have this thought. It'll help distract me from the lows of being back at work again. :D I can't wait for more!!

I was checking out your exif data... did somebody upgrade?!?

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
yippee! loving it tammy. can't wait for more. all of you look great. if it wasn't for the flying part i would love to do a med cruise.

more, more,more

The flying was long long long, but worth it!

These photos are AMAZING! I can't WAIT to read the rest of this. 11 days.. ouu. It's going to be a long TR :D

It's going to be crazy long!:lol:

Wooohoo! You've started your cruise report... I can't wait to see all the pictures, including the Leaning Tower of Pisa pics. :lol: On our flight home from our own cruise this past weekend, I remember thinking... "I hope Tammy's started her cruise report!" No really, I really did have this thought. It'll help distract me from the lows of being back at work again. :D I can't wait for more!!

I was checking out your exif data... did somebody upgrade?!?

You know I have that Leaning Tower of Pisa picture!! You went on another cruise? You are so hooked girl!

You would love the characters on a Med cruise, Holly!! I thought of you and Jenn a couple of times when I saw all the awesome costumes they put Mickey and Minnie in! I missed a few of the outfits, and I saw them later in Shutters, the picture store. I wanted to take pictures of the pictures to show you, but they would have thought I was trying to get out of buying mine!:lol:

HollyBelle

You know I have that Leaning Tower of Pisa picture!! You went on another cruise? You are so hooked girl!

You would love the characters on a Med cruise, Holly!! I thought of you and Jenn a couple of times when I saw all the awesome costumes they put Mickey and Minnie in! I missed a few of the outfits, and I saw them later in Shutters, the picture store. I wanted to take pictures of the pictures to show you, but they would have thought I was trying to get out of buying mine!:lol:

I hadn't even thought of that... now I really can't wait for you to post more! I think it's so funny when people think taking a picture of a picture in the photo gallery will be worth anything... especially when they're using a camera phone! :rolleyes:

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
I hadn't even thought of that... now I really can't wait for you to post more! I think it's so funny when people think taking a picture of a picture in the photo gallery will be worth anything... especially when they're using a camera phone! :rolleyes:

I know!! :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom