Extinct Attractions

MrToad1

Original Poster
I'm not sure if this has ever been posted on here before but:
I found this great site, where you can actually order DVD's of Disney
attractions that are no longer in existence.

http://www.extinct-attractions-club.com/

I just ordered the Horizons DVD and I am so excited.
Has anyone ever ordered a DVD from them, and if so what
do you think? Apparently they have the entire ride thoughs
as well as lots of other bonus stuff like interviews with
imagineers and other.

Sorry if this has already been talked about, but if not I just wanted
to let everyone know about it. :)

Neptune

Sir Hiss527 said:
I'm loving the avatar Mr. Toad! But would they happen to have one of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride?

Yeah, the Avatar Is very nIce. I miss that ride. Maybe they have one of 20,000 leagues? if they do, i didnt know, i didnt check that much.

MrToad1

Original Poster
Sir Hiss527 said:
I'm loving the avatar Mr. Toad! But would they happen to have one of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride?

Actually I was just looking into that and they do have a section
up for it but it says Coming Soon!! So its good to know their
will be a MrToad DVD very soon... Life is Good! :D

Skippy_

This probably has been posted before but I've ordered a ton of DVDs and figured I'd give everyone a little insight on the Extinct Attractions Club! Started by Dave (a professional video editor) in 97' with the America Sings documentary video (VHS tapes eventually replaced with DVDs) as a way to relive the past. Now with over 60 DVDs its easy to say they have made this more than a hobby and with each disc he throws at us being more and more professional (with the latest being the Haunted Mansion Story DVD) I can see this becoming a long lasting "craze" among Disney Fans (such as myself, I'm addicted). He makes professional quality DVDs at a reasonable price and to top it all off, this is all for charity! For more information on Dave and what he does click here.

Skippy's Extinct Attraction DVD Reviews
*Warning, the following reviews contain major spoilers!*

Carousel of Progress Tribute (old ver.): I was very disappointed with this DVD as it doesn't contain any documentary in it at all. It's more of a giant extra disc on the Carousel of Progress. The DVD is professionally done with all options laid out on an easy to navigate menu. The disc contains a "1964 Worlds Fair" film with Walt, offering some nice behind the scenes moments. A "Progress city" clip, which includes some insight on Walt's Progress city and some footage of the EPCOT model located in WDW's Space Mountain, that can be seen while riding the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. It also contains two ride throughs, both from WDW. The "1980's COP" ride through is of the show when the song There’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow was replaced with The Best Time of Your Life. The quality of this film is lacking, with the picture being very dark and grainy, and the cameraman is situated way in the back of the theater. The "1990's COP" ride through is a bit better and consists of multiple camera angles edited together, this one shot after GE dropped it's sponsorship and the ride's original theme song was restored. The rest of the extras consist of some very nice audio files, "1964 audio files" and "more audio files", and "COP a look back", video footage of the movie added to the rides queue during the 2001 update. Overall, its a fairly decent disc that does offer some nice footage that's worth checking out!

*Note to readers: Sometime this month an updated version of this DVD dubbed "Carousel of Progress Story" will be released (said to rank up there with the Haunted Mansion Story DVD), and will include the long awaited "Documentary" with a feast of interviews and is not to be missed. For more information and a video preview on this upcoming release click here.

Universe of Energy (old ver.): This DVD's layout is by far my favorite. Very nice and professional, animated and easy to navigate! The disc includes a "History & Ride Through" feature (documentary). This feature is nicely done and informative and rounds to about 40min with the ride through at the end of the documentary. It kept my attention and was very professionally done with a fantastic narration by Brian Sommer! The quality of the ride through is pretty good, only problem is its hard to record those VERY widesceen movies throughout the ride, and this ride is probably more boring than most people remember (but you've got to love the rides theme song). The extras on this disc include, under "Bonus Material", "Making of the Dinos" a behind the scenes look at how the Dinos of this ride were put to life, "Promo 1982" pretty much explains itself, and under "Audio Extras" some very nice, clear audio files, and lastly some "Previews" for upcoming Extinct Attraction DVDs. Only downside is the fact that this DVD doesn't include anything from Ellen's Energy Adventure (the good version) Overall, a great disc and I definitely recommend it!

*Note to readers: An updated version of the Universe of Energy DVD, including an interview with Bob Gurr (ride vehicle designer), has been released since the one I reviewed. For more information and a video preview on this new Extinct Attraction release, or to order it click here.

Journey into Imagination (old ver.): Let me just start by saying this was my favorite ride of all time and it was great just to relive it once again! To start off this disc has a pretty nice animated menu that's easy to navigate. This disc contains a "History of the Attraction" feature (documentary) that I found very interesting and informative. With another professional narration by Brian Sommer there is a lot to love about this DVD. As for extras this disc is LOADED with em'! It contains "Ride Through #1" which plays by default after the documentary but can also be selected off the menu. The quality of the ride through is OK (I was just happy to see it again) but it's a little dark and suffers from minor blurs, and at one point, a black out. There is also an "Image Works" walk through that covers just about everything there, only downside is the cameraman was concentrating on his family (which is understandable being its a home movie). That was also nice to relive and was a decent quality picture too. Other extras include, under "Bonus Items", "Captain EO" (Full Screen) quality is pretty good only wish it was widescreen, "Magic Journeys" is basically a video recording of the show, quality isn't that good because it was made to be 3D, and "1983 Promo" pretty much explains itself. And lastly a couple of "Audio Files" were included with the quality being good. Overall, I love this DVD an think their should be one in every home, easily wins a recommendation!

*Note to readers: An updated version of the Journey into Imagination DVD, including an interview with figment creator Steve Kirk, has been released since the one I reviewed. For more information and a video preview on this new Extinct Attraction release, or to order it click here.

World of Motion: This DVD is laid out with an animated menu that's also easy to navigate. This disc contains a "History and Ride Through" feature (documentary) on the attraction. This feature lasts about 40min and it includes a ride through at the end. The documentary was very informative and kept my attention the whole way through, very good material here and a wonderful narration by Brian Sommer! The quality of the ride through is pretty good just a little shaky but clear all the way through. The extras included on this disc are the "Bird & Robot" show in which the quality is so-so (a little shaky and blurry), a "Test Track" ride through, some very interesting audio files, and lastly some "Video Previews". Overall, its a great disc and is also recommended! For more information and a video preview on this Extinct Attraction release, or to order it click here.

Epcot Center Horizons: This ride was also one of my favorites and it was given a worthy DVD release. This DVD's animated menu has a very simple layout and isn't one of my favorites but is easy to navigate and gets the job done. First on this disc we explore the "Horizons History" feature (documentary). This feature lasts about 35min and actually covers the full history of the attraction (not much happened) with a ride at the end of the documentary. The quality, even though short, is up to standards, including the narration by Brian Sommer and the interview with Pete Renaday, making it what you've come to expect from the Extinct Attractions Club. Although a little dark and grainy, the ride through's quality is superb, with the camera being very steady and running smoothly all the way through! The extras on this disc are a bit light (due to the Carousel of Progress Tribute DVD no longer being included as and extra disc), but are as follows: Under "Bonus Video" we have "Cast Member Video" a very interesting behind the scenes video of Horizons made by some cast members during the summer of 85', and the three endings to Horizons, the "Ocean Ending", the "Space Ending", and the "Land Ending". Also included on this disc are some nice "Bonus Audio" tracks and some "DVD Previews" of upcoming Extinct Attraction DVDs. Overall, I found it entertaining and informative and would give it a solid recommendation. For more information and a video preview on this Extinct Attraction release, or to order it click here.

America Sings (new ver.): Let me start off with saying that this has got to be one of my favorite theme park shows of all time, second to only the Carousel of Progress, and I never even saw the show personally! It was like reliving memories I never had in the first place and this great experience never would have happened without the creative genius of Mr. Marc Davis. I'm reviewing the newest version of this DVD that includes all new content. The disc's menu is a simple layout and easy to navigate but VERY nicely done! First we'll take a "Historical" look (documentary) at this attraction. This history segment is very nicely done and seems to be more of a tribute video for Marc Davis than anything. The run time is about 45min and that doesn't include the ride through. It is a very detailed and interesting documentary that includes interviews with Alice Davis and Jeff Burke, giving you and imagineers perspective of the ride and what goes into making an attraction such as this, and by the time it's all over, you'll never look at Splash Mountain the same. This feature is completely narrated by Brian Sommer, and is one of the best documentaries out of the Extinct Attractions Club to date! The extras included on this disc are "The Show" a pretty good ride through of the show only suffering from a shaky camera and minor graininess, and "Bonus Video" a tour of Marc/Alice Davis's house with lots of interesting artwork and photos (it's a real treat). This was an exceptional DVD that I thoroughly enjoyed and recommend everyone gets! For more information and a video preview on this Extinct Attraction release, or to order it click here.

Upcoming reviews: The Haunted Mansion Story Vol. 1, Haunted Mansion Walk Through with Tony Baxter, and The Haunted Mansion Story Vol. 2!

MrToad1

Original Poster
Thanks for the review Skippy, Im sure some of the footage wont be super great quality but just to have the source material is incredible. I am so excited to get my Horizons DVD and if it is as good as Im hoping I will be getting many more. I actually thought about doing something like this at one point but didnt know where I would begin so I ditched that idea. Im so hapy there is someone out there who has been able to put all this together.

maxime29

Premium Member
Haven't ordered from them, but I recall hearing some people complain that they never received their DVDs. This was a year or two ago. Not sure if this has gotten better or not.

MrToad1

Original Poster
maxime29 said:
Haven't ordered from them, but I recall hearing some people complain that they never received their DVDs. This was a year or two ago. Not sure if this has gotten better or not.

Hmmmm, has anyone else ordered with them. I hope this is only an isolated case. It seems like a really good site with real good quality DVD it would be a shame if something like that happened.

Skippy_

You will eventually get them, they just have a very slow shipping process! Please don't bother them too much because he may have already sent you some and you will end up having three copies of each DVD by the time its all done (I know frome experience). Plus it's all charity, so he can't afford to lose much, especialy after the price drop. Daves' such a nice guy, he'll just send you a new one if it's lost or anything and he will pay for everything himeself! Please don't let anything hold you back from supporting this organization:wave:

Thorphin

I'd have to vouch for the extinct attractions club, or anyone else who puts their heart and soul into these things. I would say, though, that unless you are completely gaga over an attraction or don't already have any footage already, you might not want to pay full price for the single DVDs. Seems a little expensive for what you get. They often have specials though, so definitely jump at those - I always buy 3 or 6 DVDs when they have their 3 for $30 sale. DVDs like the Haunted Mansion Story or the Ford Magic Skyway / Peoplemover DVDs are really well done with lots of bonus features and good quality menus on two DVDs. The World's Fair and WDW/EPCOT opening DVDs don't have much in the way of menus, but have some very rare footage on them that you probably won't get from anywhere else. All of their DVDs come professionally screen printed, which is a nice touch.

I've never had a problem with a DVD arriving on time, and I've ordered from them four or five times. Twice, however, I received a wrong DVD in my shipment. A quick email back, and in about a week, I had the correct DVD in my mailbox, free of charge, being allowed to keep the accidentally shipped DVD free of charge as well.

Overall, they are good people with some really rare stuff that you probably won't run into in another place. Most of their DVDs include at least one full ride through of the attraction.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the Mr. Toad DVD and the Tiki Room DVD!

Enjoy!

Thessair

I, too, have ordered a number of DVDs from them. I have nothing but respect and admiration for the work they do at the EAC. The amount of material that has been put together over there is amazing. Up until the last order, I've always been perfectly satisfied with the people and the product. I got a bad disc in the last set and I haven't heard anything back on it yet. I know they're busy and I'm sure I'll hear something soon so I'm not too worried. I'll definitely still be ordering from the EAC in the future and I would easily recommend their DVDs to anyone who is interested in the theme park attractions of the past.

poohbear6103

I ordered from them as well. Had a bad experience receiving the DVD but once it came I was very happy with it. I ordered If You Have Wings and it was so wonderful to see the ride all the way through again. It transports you to simpler, better times at WDW.

MrToad1

Original Poster
bgraham34 said:
Nice Avatar and nice post. Thanks a bunch.

Thanks and no problem :)

I was also wondering, has anyone ordered any of the Audio CD's?
I was curious as to how good the sound quality on the Discs are?
For example are they 192kbps or higher from a digital source or
are they more like microphone recordings? If anyone has any info
about them could you let me know?

Ducky_Love

I've never ordered from them because they had so much bad press on other boards. This makes me want to buy a couple and give them a shot. Thanks!

PeeplMoovr

Mr. Toad:

I ordered the Horizon's DVD from them a while back and I thought it was worth it. There are other videos of Horizons you can download off the net, etc., but this was a double-DVD with really good quality stuff. I only bought Horizons, though, so I can't speak to the other DVD's.
I watch it from time to time after I get back home from EPCOT. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom