Port Orleans:Riverside

Poco909

Hey, we book our resort in Port Orleans:River side, it will be our first time we stay at a disney resort, so excited, so what is it like, what are fun things to do there and is the food good there and are the busses crowded when u go to one of the parks.

d'Isigny

Well, my family and I are booked for July at POR. We love it there.

The moderates are a little different in that the rooms are separate from the lobby and food court. I enjoy the walking from the room to the court though, especially at night. That way I get to see the beautiful landscaping.

Jambalaya is my favorite dish at Boatwrights. I'm sure they serve other dishes...but I won't stray.

In the evenings, the lounge is filled with laughter and cheering as the piano man entertains the folks. You'll have to stop in for that.

I hope he is there in October...

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

POR is our favorite,too. We have stayed at deluxes, but prefer Riverside which shows how good this resort is. The food is great. We love the pot roast and corn bread at Boatwrights. The breakfasts there are great, too. You will definitely leave full. The food court has really good pizza and yummy philly steak and cheese sandwiches. Make sure you get your name on the list early for Boatwright's because the waits can be quite long. The lounge is a very lively place, the arcade is cool even for adults, the pool is big enough to be comfortable even if it is crowded, and the boat ride to DTD is one of the best attractions of the place. The only thing I suggest is getting a room close to the main building because it can be a long walk to everything if you are on the outer edge. Also, the buses are not a problem. Disney knows it is a big resort and provides plenty of buses for the guests. Have a great time. :)

Upvote 0

BigNorm

Favourite resort you ask? Why it's POR as well. The surroundings are beautiful and very peaceful: very old South, Mark Twain-ish. Good stuff. I never found the buses or the stops to be crowded at all. I did think the food was a bit pricey, but what isn't pricey at Disney? I didn't eat at Boatwright's (just wasn't in my budget last trip), but found that the food at Riverside Mill Food Court was fairly good. Something that I found to be very relaxing was the boat ride to DTD it's definitly worth the ride if you've got the time. The rooms are slightly bigger than the average hotel room and very comfortable. Overall I think this is the best Moderate Resort on property.

Upvote 0

pwgs

Por

Two years ago when my youngest was 3 we decided it was time for our first disney adventure with Children. We wanted a resort with a nice pool area just in case the parks were to much on the youngin's. We had always stayed at the value resorts before this trip and i must tell you that we can never go back to the value resorts the difference between the two is amazing but i am getting off topic:rolleyes:. We are planning the next trip in october now and we are having an extreamly hard time deciding if we want to try a different moderate resort.We were thinking of coranado but i think we would be dissapointed because i can't belive that we could like it as much as our family loved POR
Have a good trip! and yes POR is fantastic.:):sohappy:

Upvote 0

d'Isigny

pwgs said:
Two years ago when my youngest was 3 we decided it was time for our first disney adventure with Children. We wanted a resort with a nice pool area just in case the parks were to much on the youngin's. We had always stayed at the value resorts before this trip and i must tell you that we can never go back to the value resorts the difference between the two is amazing but i am getting off topic:rolleyes:. We are planning the next trip in october now and we are having an extreamly hard time deciding if we want to try a different moderate resort.We were thinking of coranado but i think we would be dissapointed because i can't belive that we could like it as much as our family loved POR
Have a good trip! and yes POR is fantastic.:):sohappy:

My friend stayed at Coronado Springs and did not like it because the food court is set up differently. You aren't allowed to get your own food or drink and they punch a ticket which doesn't clearly state the price. No making your own experimental soda concoctions.

And they don't have the piano dude.

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

d'Isigny said:
My friend stayed at Coronado Springs and did not like it because the food court is set up differently. You aren't allowed to get your own food or drink and they punch a ticket which doesn't clearly state the price. No making your own experimental soda concoctions.

And they don't have the piano dude.

Trying Coronado after Riverside was very disappointing to us. I was not happy with the experience because I love POR, but wanted to at least try something different. The food court was a major disappointment compared to POR and the rooms seemed smaller.

Upvote 0

d'Isigny

Ringo8n24 said:
Trying Coronado after Riverside was very disappointing to us. I was not happy with the experience because I love POR, but wanted to at least try something different. The food court was a major disappointment compared to POR and the rooms seemed smaller.

This is why I don't wish to try another resort unless it's an upgrade, like Wilderness Lodge (aways wanted to go there). POR feels like home. To me, it's part of the Disney experience.

Upvote 0

pwgs

POR Here we come

And they don't have the piano dude.[/QUOTE]

I almost forgot about the piano dude!

That makes up my mind POR here we come OCT 10-17:wave:

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

d'Isigny said:
This is why I don't wish to try another resort unless it's an upgrade, like Wilderness Lodge (aways wanted to go there). POR feels like home. To me, it's part of the Disney experience.

You guys have the same taste as us! :lol: We were only willing to give up POR again to try WL. I like WL, but I would rather be at POR. That says alot for POR for anyone who has not stayed there yet.

Upvote 0

d'Isigny

Ringo8n24 said:
You guys have the same taste as us! :lol: We were only willing to give up POR again to try WL. I like WL, but I would rather be at POR. That says alot for POR for anyone who has not stayed there yet.

You stayed at WL?

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

d'Isigny said:
You stayed at WL?

Yes, a couple of times for closer convenience since we were traveling with a toddler. But, we tend to keep going back to POR the past few times. It is less money and we are more comfortable there.

Upvote 0

dr_teeth90210

Port Orleans Riverside is the best moderate resort and the best value on Disney property. It's just a beautiful resort that trully has the Disney spirit running throught it's veins. And as far as your cure for boredom, I present...

Dr_Teeth's Top 7 Fun Things to Do at Port Orlean's Riverside

#7- Enjoy the Gardens
POR has some of the finest gardens and landscaping in all of WDW. In fact they received the Florida Nurserymen and Grower's Association's Award of Excellence sevral years ago. They also have a lovely butterfly garden in the Northern area of Magnolia Bend.

#6- Rent Me!
Rent a boat or a bike and have a blast. The great thing about either one of these options is it allows you to take a grand tour of POR and Port Orleans French Quarter in short time frame.

#5- Boat Ride to Downtown Disney

Kick-back, relax, and enjoy floating down the Sassagoula river on the Port Orleans Riverboats. While on board be sure to keep an eye out for wildlife such as gators, deer, and tons of birds. The soundtrack that plays onboard the boats starts out very twangy and something you would expect to hear on the shores of the Mississippi River in the late 19th century. As you near closer towards Downtown Disney the music gets more and more modern and upbeat to complete your timetravel experience back to the 21st century. Also look out for the now abandoned Treehouses which line the Sassagoula.

Upvote 0

dr_teeth90210

#4- FISHING

For under five dollars you could be fishing at the Ol' Fishing Hole. I remember the first time we went fishing at POR, my family and I walked up to the fish shack at noon on a hot and humid August afternoon. The CM told us that we'd be better off coming back in the morning when the fish would be more active. We ignored his advice and picked up our cane poles and worms. We ended up catching 8 fish in a 30-minute time frame. It's F-U-N and I highly recommend it.

#3- Horse-drawn Carriage rides

Easily one of the most romantic things to do on property is the Evening Horse and Carriage rides. It's $30 but it's well worth it. If your staying at POR on a honeymoon then this is a MUST!!!

#2- Swimming

POR has over 6 swimming pools to choose from including the main swimming pool on Ol' Man Island. The main pool is the only one with a slide and a hot tub. Also if your a parent who would rather watch your children swim then make sure to bring your credit card. You can pick up a couple of drinks at the poolside bar, Muddy Rivers, and enjoy the pool from a safe distance. ;-)

Once your tired of the pool at POR then just take a short walk over to the very festive pool at Port Orleans French Quarter. Take advantage of the pool-hopping because Port Orleans is the only resort that allows it.

Upvote 0

dr_teeth90210

#1- See Bob Jackson play!

While staying at Port Orleans Riverside it is your civic duty to see Bob Jackson play the Piano at the River Roost lounge. He's generally there 5 nites a week and plays sets from 9pm til midnight. It's family-friendly so children of all ages are welcome to join in and sing-along with Bob. I have 2 tips for the newbies out there.

1- Find a seat as close as possible to the piano.
2- Make sure to have a couple of drinks before the show starts. It makes it
a lot easier to sing-along to the "Monkee's Theme Song" if your plastered.
I highly recommend ordering their Mississippi Mudslide. My wife lives for
that drink;-)

And if you get embarassed easily you might want to leave the camera back at the room. Last time we saw Bob I drank too many mudslides and ended up watching a video the next morning of myself riding an imaginery horse around the lounge to the tune of Bonanza.

You've been warned. HAVE FUN!!!!!

P.S.- Here's a pic of Bob.
http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=13371&size=big&cat=500&page=1

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

we LOVE, LOVE,LOVE, port orleans riverside!!!! we had first stayed at this resort for our honeymoon when it was dixie landings..and fell in love with it!!! for the money you really can't go wrong...every year we say maybe we should stay at willdernsess lodge( try something new), but then we say why?? we know we love por , we've stayed there before so why change...yeah unless we were upgraded..its always por...oh and we love bob the piano guy he is great...oh and boatwrights has the best bannana stuffed french toast!!!! yeah i really can't say enough about this place....

5 more days and here we come PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Nut4Disney

My wife and I and our 2 yr old stayed there in Mar. We've stayed at pretty much all of the other resorts and this has been our favorite so far. It is so beautiful and peaceful. Be sure to take the boat down the river to DD and eat one nite also. Yeeha Bob the piano player is very fun also. Nothing risque or off color. Restaurant is very good and surprisingly reasonable for breakfast. The food court is very nice also. We are going back again in June and staying here, I don't think I will ever stay anywhere else. We like the mansions and Oak Manor was perfect for us, right next to the quiet pool, and a short walk over the bridge to the food court and Ol' Man Island.

Upvote 0

Kadee

Ringo8n24 said:

This is us exactly!!! We just booked our vacation for Christmas and we are staying at POR, again. The only other place I would like to stay is WL. I can not wait until December. This will be our first Christmas trip. I've always wanted to go to WDW during Christmas (Dec 22 - 30)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom