Disneyland Resort Master Plan (circa 1997)

CSUFSteve

Original Poster
I was answering a DL planning trip thread and was certain I had a better Disneyland Resort area map with more detail than your average city map. Then I remembered my old Cast Member materials announcing that Disney had settled on "Disney's California Adventure" as Disneyland's 2nd gate and transformation into Disneyland Resort.

It was so interesting to look at the Master Plan details again, looking at them before Disney had even broken ground on the old parking lot. Starting at the minute details of it, it was fun to notice the aspects which turned out differently than the master plan.

I knew they had expansion space for Downtown Disney, but I thought it was on the other side of Pan Pacific. I also had forgotten about the proposed "Magic Kingdom" hotel. *If* the rumor are true about DVC coming out to CA, this seems like it'd be prime real estate for that possibility, and those would be good views of Disneyland. Of course, that'd mean the Grand Hotel surface lot would have to be used more frequently. And speaking of that, note this Master Plan was before that land had been secured and before the Fujishige strawberry field had been acquired. For those who may not know, the strawberry field would be immediately south of the Cast PLot, south and east of Harbor/Katella intersection. The Fujishige property and current Cast PLot is a larger plot than the current DCA, although at full buildout DCA would be bigger, especially given that some of the 3rd gate acreage would be support/guest services type stuff.

Interesting walk down memory lane! Check out my profile for the link and have a look for yourself!

Yenfid

link? What link?

I would like to see this

Sorry just read check you profile. My bad responding without reading everything! :hammer:

CSUFSteve

Original Poster
Yenfid said:
link? What link?

I would like to see this

Sorry just read check you profile. My bad responding without reading everything! :hammer:

Hey, np... **love** your avatar!! Maleficent is my favorite villian! :)

CaliSurfer182

Wow thanks for the link, that picture was great. It seemed like they had a good plan back then, I wonder how much of it is still possible today, or if they would scrap a majority of it for the "third Gate".

CSUFSteve

Original Poster
Hey Cali,

CaliSurfer182 said:
Wow thanks for the link, that picture was great. It seemed like they had a good plan back then, I wonder how much of it is still possible today, or if they would scrap a majority of it for the "third Gate".

Actually the land reserved for the 3rd gate was barely shown on that map. The WestCOT master plan showed it better (I'll have to post that sometime), but Disney had to remove it because both the Grand Hotel and Fujishige got ed that Disney had already "planned" for the land before it actually owned it. Trivial details! :)

The land for the 3rd gate is roughly 60 acres (including the current Cast Lot) and is on the East side of Katella, south of Harbor. I think any 3rd gate is a long way off, and there's so much dilemna about to what use the property for since it's landlocked on all sides. I think the more likely "expansion" we'd see in the *future* is expansion of Downtown Disney (which has remained popular though no one seems to care much for the shops) and/or another hotel.

I think it's unfortunate that they lost the land across from the Grand to Pointe Anaheim (or whoever owns it now). I personally liked the WestCOT "Transportation Center" idea. And I still think they could have done a lot more synergy with the Angels and Ducks. I really think that was a missed opportunity.

Steve

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom