Journey into Imagination

jedimaster1227

Original Poster
file://CBefore I even start anything, I don't believe there is any conspiracy going on, I just wonder about things.:drevil: Refer to: Thread Deleted! and Journey Into Imagination Building to fully comprehend.

I am a longtime fan of the original JII. I have lived in Orlando all of my life and have been to Disney, hundreds of times. I have been a member of these forums for a year now and this has only happened once. In regards to the leaked imageworks photos online about two months ago, the forums were abuzz, (no disney pun intended.) Everyone started wondering why they kept imageworks partially intact (sorry to those who don't agree). This is where I came in to the picture. I wondered if maybe since they kept imageworks, they might have kept part of the original JII ride. I wondered this because I knew that the current ride did not take up both pyramids fully. I asked if anyone had a ride track model pic. I recieved this reply
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by jedimaster1227
Now the only question is what parts of the original ride are still left, because the newer version is fairly small compared to the origional.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Sadly, nothing. The ImageworksShop takes up a fair ammount of the original ride space, as does the queue and load. Today you actually load on the far side of the `turntable` arrangement that the Dream Machine used to fly round in scene 2. The only parts of original track not used are scene 1 with the rear projection screen, and the final ramp before unload just after Dreamfinder the Cameraman - with the overhead screen and the `To the Imageworks` sign:<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Images</LEGEND></FIELDSET>

We then realized that some of the original ride has to be leftover, but why? Maybe keeping parts of the ride was a way to save a part of the rides past or keep it for a backup plan for a future itteration of the ride if it did not succeed after rehab. That is up to you to decide, any theories are open for discussion with me. If for some reason, this thread is locked, send me an email or pm. Email at zmanatr@cfl.rr.com

Adam Out!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I guess WDWMagic locked the thread due to the images it had... so skirting past that subject, to answer your question;

The ride didn`t go in the pyramids, it was in the large building towards backstage, and virtually all at grade (ground level.) The front Pyramid had load at ground level, and of course the Imageworks entrance upstairs. The second pyramid was above break rooms, restrooms and CM areas, I believe the Kodak corporate lounge was upstairs actually in the pyramid. As an aside, the original JII plan was to have the ride finale and unload upstairs, right next to the Imageworks (a natural progression) but economics and a rushed timetable came into play. Not to mention this unload would have been a large turntable, the basis of which was behind the finale sequence with Figment singing in the centre of the projection room - the unused half of this circular room was planned for an upstairs unload, but came back to ground level keeping the same layout.

Back on topic, nothing really remains of the original attraction. The track is the same, as is the layout, apart from the spur (todays unload) from the science section into half way round the Dream machine turntable. The track isolated by this spur was removed and filled in to accommodate todays Imageworksgiftshop mess, and also the (non existent) queue area. The `turntable` which was the base mechanism for the Dream Machine sequence was apparently left in the floor, and todays queue area simply goes over the top of it. This `turntable` in question was one of the original problems, amongst others; it was too big, and had started to warp. No official figures have been given, but I`ve estimated its diameter to be around 110ft, so you can imagine (no pun intended) why it warped. I`ve put `turntable` in commas since its a popular misconception there was a solid rotating disc for this scene. There was actually a mechanism resembling a spider`s legs in plan, on a central spindle, with the 5 `legs` being the show scene walls between the 5 identical Dream Machine scenes. The set was suspended from the roof of this mechanism - possibly the closest to an actual turntable - and the entire structure ran along a circular track just infront of and below the Omnimover track.

I think I`m rambling a little, in short there is no space left in the building where anything of the original ride could be remaining, hidden behind a false wall, except a few small areas near the spur (not enough to be near one complete show scene anyhow) and the first rear projection screen just after load - I`m sad to say.

Figments Friend

WOW Marni1971....

I must thank you for "ramblin on" as you have answered some of the burning msyteries about this ride that i have been puzzling over since it first opened!! Now at last i know the details of the one show element that always threw me when i tried to figure out how it worked..the legendary Dream Machine "turntable"!! THANK YOU for helping me to solve my 20+year mystery!

Imagination was always the highpoint for me at Epcot. I think it's a horrible sacrilidge seeing what has been done with this once incredible and truly imaginative wonder of a attraction. It so firmly imprinted itself into me that to this day i draw inspiration from it. It's sad knowing that today's kids will never get the chance to experience what many of us did and treasured.

General Grizz

marni1971 said:
I believe the Kodak corporate lounge was upstairs actually in the pyramid. .
I could be wrong, but I believe the Kodak lounge is actually downstairs, back behind the Magic Eye. If it was where I think it is, you can see the windows passing at the very end of the Imagination pavilion when passing into the World Showcase. :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Martin digs out his plans... oops!

Grizz is absolutley correct. The pavilion blueprint has a very large room behind the Magic Eye theatre screen marked as VIP lounge. Its wider than the theatre, indeed runs the width of the preshow theatre too including offices and toilets, and about a 3rd as long. The entrance is along the long sloping ramp that runs outside to the South East of the theatre building. My mistake - although I have seen a park photo taken from inside the 2nd pyramid (definatley not the larger pyramid) - anyone have any idea what is/was in here? The more I think about the layout of Imageworks, the more it is possible part of it was in the lower section of the 2nd pyramid, with false windows of course. That being the case, whats the chances of another small floor above this area in the top of the pyramid??

General Grizz

marni1971 said:
Martin digs out his plans... oops!

Grizz is absolutley correct. The pavilion blueprint has a very large room behind the Magic Eye theatre screen marked as VIP lounge. Its wider than the theatre, indeed runs the width of the preshow theatre too including offices and toilets, and about a 3rd as long. The entrance is along the long sloping ramp that runs outside to the South East of the theatre building. My mistake - although I have seen a park photo taken from inside the 2nd pyramid (definatley not the larger pyramid) - anyone have any idea what is/was in here? The more I think about the layout of Imageworks, the more it is possible part of it was in the lower section of the 2nd pyramid, with false windows of course. That being the case, whats the chances of another small floor above this area in the top of the pyramid??
I believe the Image Works was housed in the smaller pyramid... the lobby/old Kodak photo contest board where guests entered the IW is in the larger one.

Sounds like you've got some nice blueprints! :D

jedimaster1227

Original Poster
The more I think about the layout of Imageworks, the more it is possible part of it was in the lower section of the 2nd pyramid, with false windows of course. That being the case, whats the chances of another small floor above this area in the top of the pyramid??

Now you are thinking like I was and see what everyone including marni1971 and many others like myself were wondering. You have to think beyond what you see.... sorry to sound like the dreamfinder (Now only in memory and heart:cry: :cry: )!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I can see me doing a theoretical 2nd level (first floor to those in the UK :animwink: ) plan with the info I have to hand..

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
But it does nothing to hide the fact that this is a complete pile of pants and is nothing more than a closed down attraction that happens to have a working attraction within.

many people moan about Primeval whirl but at least its fun. JIYI is nostalgia dressed up as an attraction, and one made out of MDF and lead paint at that.

jedimaster1227

Original Poster
I can see me doing a theoretical 2nd level (first floor to those in the UK :animwink: ) plan with the info I have to hand..

Can't wait, maybe we can crack the case all together, Marni, you me and anyone else who believes that a piece of our loved childhood is buried away in some crack of the glass pyramids:cry: !

RSoxNo1

I hope somewhere in the discarded remains of the original attraction will be an explanation for why the new figment is a more annoying version of Jar Jar Binks.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It must be a dig from Eisner at Lucas for their little tiff....

Jedimaster - sorry - been upto my neck in edits.

I`ve verified both pyramids shared the same common level above the show floor. When they were built there was one large floor at balcony level from which both pyramid structures rose - Imageworks was set in the covered over (properly roofed) part of this level, I`m still working on it!

jedimaster1227

Original Poster
There is a picture from the original ride looking out of the glass pyramid (I'm guessing the second, larger one) from a higher point. This seemed to be a queue or resting point before or after coming to imageworks. Anyone else see or remember this or am I just insane?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Its not a queue for the elevator / stairway is it? Or a queue to enter the Imageworks (if the queue goes under the bottom of the photo, assuming the picture is looking towards Horizons/Energy/Earth. I`ll do a quick sketch to show what I`ve found so far.

General Grizz

OK, here's what I know...

1. When entering the Imagination pavilion, taking a sharp left will take you to an escalator which used to take guests from the top level to the bottom level (advertised as: "Follow Figment to [Whatever show was playing in the Magic Eye")

2. That escalator, along with the staircase and elevator, were the only methods of getting to the upper level for guests.

3. The giant pyramid housed the main Image Works lobby (including the elevator, staircase, escalator down to the bottom level I just described)

4. The smaller housed the show scenes for the Image Works

5. There was no higher peak for the public...

General Grizz

Note: NOT to scale!

untitledffafvx.gif

General Grizz

jedimaster1227 said:
There is a picture from the original ride looking out of the glass pyramid (I'm guessing the second, larger one) from a higher point. This seemed to be a queue or resting point before or after coming to imageworks. Anyone else see or remember this or am I just insane?
imaginationinside.jpg

That's the top of the elevator, from the larger pyramid lobby... to the right is the main entrance to the Image Works, I believe

RSox... so true... :D

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Grizz beat me to it, but here it is anyhow (pardon the crudeness)

Attachments

• Imageworks question jpeg.jpg
    Imageworks question jpeg.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 227

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom