Give a day, Get a Disney Day?

captainkidd

Original Poster
I'm sure this has been discussed, but oh well. I know this will come off as ungrateful, but does this promotion sound kind of chincy on Disney's part? Granted, they don't have to do anything, but hear me out:

How many people are going to go all the way to Disney World for 1 day? Anyone who is going to travel a long distance is more than likely going to have no use for a 1 day pass, as they will have either bought a package or tickets with multiple days on it. And anyone who lives close enough to Disney to go for just 1 day, if they really wanted to go that badly, chances are good they may have a Florida's Resident Pass.

Please don't misunderstand me. I think it's GREAT to give a day to a local charity, and I think I may do it myself. But Disney seems a bit "off" in this respect. It's sort of like giving 1 day admission to a guest on their birthday. Big deal.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, and honestly, can't say I blame anyone. I'm not trying to sound rude to Disney, but to me, I'd be a hell of a lot more impressed if they said "Free $100 gift card to anyone who gives a day." That at least to me would make it seem like they care. This just makes me think it's a sneaky way to make money.

jakeman

Only here would people complain about a company promoting volunteerism.

If it gets people out into the community and improving it, who cares how Disney benefits?

parksjae

If it gets people out into the community and improving it, who cares how Disney benefits?

:sohappy: Totally agree! I for one will be taking advantage of it. I will be headed to Orlando for a conference this spring, and will extend my trip a day (for free) and head to the world!

I think this is a great promotion. At a time when the unemployment rate is at an all time high, and many people are discouraged and depressed by their everyday lives, I think it's great the number one vacation destination spot in the World is stepping up to the plate and applauding those who are helping others!

captainkidd

Original Poster

Thanks for completely missing my point and not reading my entire post all the way through!:)

Maybe it's just me. It just sounds too much like the birthday get a day free promotion. I'd rather see Disney donate money to some charity that people help out as opposed to giving them a day free in the parks. Will Disney be giving them lunch for free? How about parking? Maybe a free night at a resort? It sounds to me like this is a way to make some more money.

MissM

It sounds to me like this is a way to make some more money.
Um...yeah. Are you under the impression Disney is a charity? I don't want to say "DUH" here but...Seriously: DUH. Disney is a business. First and foremost. Why are you surprised they skew things to their financial benefit? If it helps someone along the way, it's win-win.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Um...yeah. Are you under the impression Disney is a charity? I don't want to say "DUH" here but...Seriously: DUH. Disney is a business. First and foremost. Why are you surprised they skew things to their financial benefit? If it helps someone along the way, it's win-win.

Exactly. Disney will always be looking out for their bottom line first. I applaud Disney for attempting to promote volunteerism. However, I am afraid this program might not be as popular as they think it will be. It seems that there are limited organizations you can work with and like the OP said, 1 free day isn't that big of a deal to most people who already have APs or multi-day tickets. At least with the free birthday admission it could be exchanged for a gift card or FPs. :shrug:

Personally, I will try to volunteer provided I can find an organization to work with. I hope more organizations in my area have been added since the promotion was first announced.

Hammer1310

Thanks for completely missing my point and not reading my entire post all the way through!:)

Maybe it's just me. It just sounds too much like the birthday get a day free promotion. I'd rather see Disney donate money to some charity that people help out as opposed to giving them a day free in the parks. Will Disney be giving them lunch for free? How about parking? Maybe a free night at a resort? It sounds to me like this is a way to make some more money.

Ride the bus, take a lunch. It's threads like this that convince me that nobody from Disney would ever really take these boards seriously. No good deed goes unpunished.

jakeman

Fine, let's look at your arguement.

If Disney were to give a one day park hopper equivalent to each organization instead of rewarding people who spent the day volunteering that would be about $100 per person.

I would bet that these organization would much rather have a days worth of help than a hundred dollars.

To your second point, sure Disney could do more. Why complain though? It's a promotion that promotes volunteerism. Name another corporation that has spent a good chunk of its marketing over the past few months to do that.

Your issue with this promotion says much more about you than it does about Disney.

Ride the bus, take a lunch. It's threads like this that convince me that nobody from Disney would ever really take these boards seriously. No good deed goes unpunished.
Agreed.

captainkidd

Original Poster

Like I said, a good deed would be donating money or time of their own to a charity. Call it what you will, I just don't like people (or organizations) toting their charity work for financial gain. That's just the way I feel. Sorry.

And yes, I am fully aware that Disney is a business.

jakeman

Like I said, a good deed would be donating money or time of their own to a charity. Call it what you will, I just don't like people (or organizations) toting their charity work for financial gain. That's just the way I feel. Sorry.

And yes, I am fully aware that Disney is a business.
They do:

http://disney.go.com/disneyhand/voluntears/details.html

http://corporate.disney.go.com/responsibility/index.html

And what would that be?
You feel the need to find fault with something that is resoundingly positive. Or you are an internet troll. Either way...:shrug:

captainkidd

Original Poster
It's a promotion that promotes volunteerism. Name another corporation that has spent a good chunk of its marketing over the past few months to do that.

I'm totally cool with that. I just think if Disney REALLY cared about volunteerism, they would do a bit more to entice people. It's sad, but to deny it as truth is wearing blinders in my opinion. As someone else said, it's good marketing for Disney, but how many people are really going to take advantage of this?

Once again, let me state, I don't fit into this category. This promotion, much like all promotions Disney offers, means nothing to me. As an AP holder, these things don't really apply. That being said, I would (and plan to) gladly give of my time to help out.

captainkidd

Original Poster
You feel the need to find fault with something that is resoundingly positive. Or you are an internet troll. Either way...:shrug:

Yes. I'm a troll because my opinion differs from yours.:rolleyes:

I don't "feel the need" to do anything. I'm simply stating my opinion that it seems odd to me. Maybe I am wrong. Maybe a lot of people do only go to Disney for 1 day.

Just answer this 1 simple question - What do you think more people would give their time for - A 1 day admission to a Disney Park, or a gift card equal to the equivalent of a 1 day admission to use inside a Disney Park?

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Just answer this 1 simple question - What do you think more people would give their time for - A 1 day admission to a Disney Park, or a gift card equal to the equivalent of a 1 day admission to use inside a Disney Park?

Earlier in the thread you claimed it sounded too much like the birthday promotion. What you are describing above is EXACTLY what they did for the birthday promotion.

As for the promotion itself- I see nothing wrong with giving incentives to make people volunteer. Charities and non-profits give all kinds of incentives to get people to donate money- Broadway shows auction off backstage tours for Equity Fights Aids, Survivor sells its props to benefit the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation, the Yankees hold a charity auction every year...people are more willing to donate if they feel like they're getting something special in return.

captainkidd

Original Poster
Earlier in the thread you claimed it sounded too much like the birthday promotion. What you are describing above is EXACTLY what they did for the birthday promotion.

As for the promotion itself- I see nothing wrong with giving incentives to make people volunteer. Charities and non-profits give all kinds of incentives to get people to donate money- Broadway shows auction off backstage tours for Equity Fights Aids, Survivor sells its props to benefit the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation, the Yankees hold a charity auction every year...people are more willing to donate if they feel like they're getting something special in return.

The birthday promotion I thought was fine. In fact, I remember a lot of people saying they took the gift card as a 1 day ticket would be useless for them. I just assumed the same would apply now.

And your last sentence is exactly right. As for those other things, all those are great. I have no problem with any of that stuff. Those things aren't being done for anything other than to give money to charities.

I'll just leave it alone. I don't want to offend anyone, I don't think I'm conveying myself clearly, and I could be completely wrong. I was just stating my thoughts while listening to the commercials. I am all for charities and give myself whenever presented. It just felt to me that this was a way for Disney to get some good press in what has been a bad press year for them, by doing a good deed, but this deed wouldn't really help many people. Once again, that shouldn't be the only reason anyone donates of their time or money to charity.

jakeman

LOL - Yes. I'm a troll because my opinion differs from yours.:rolleyes:

I don't "feel the need" to do anything. I'm simply stating my opinion that it seems odd to me. Maybe I am wrong. Maybe a lot of people do only go to Disney for 1 day.

Of course the second one, but that's not what we have been presented with.

People would also be more inclined to volunteer if you gave them a car.

As for your "I have an AP so it doesn't apply":

Give A Day said:
If I have a valid multi-day ticket or Annual Pass or Passport , is there anything else that I can receive?

Guests who present a valid multi-day ticket or Annual Pass or Passport may choose from one of the following three options instead of receiving the free 1-day, 1-park ticket:

◦Disney's Special FASTPASS® cards for certain attractions for you and up to 5 additional members of your party.†
◦A collectible Ear Hat figurine with exclusive trading pins‡
◦Donate your free ticket to one of the select non-profit organizations designated by Disney Parks:

■Boys & Girls Clubs of Southern California
■Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida
■Dreams Take Flight Canada
I'm sorry, all of the information we have about the Disney corporation and this promotion indicates that they do care about volunteerism.

They are now promoting their same works as a company through a marketing campaign that gives people a reason to help others.

You have your opinion and you are entitled to it, but based on the facts available you are wrong.

captainkidd

Original Poster
Of course the second one, but that's not what we have been presented with.

People would also be more inclined to volunteer if you gave them a car.

As for your "I have an AP so it doesn't apply":

I'm sorry, all of the information we have about the Disney corporation and this promotion indicates that they do care about volunteerism.

They are now promoting their same works as a company through a marketing campaign that gives people a reason to help others.

You have your opinion and you are entitled to it, but based on the facts available you are wrong.

I wasn't aware of the AP rules. I'd have no problems about giving my ticket to a Boys or Girls Club. I think that's a great idea. Doesn't change my mind about Disney's standpoint, but I like it nonetheless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom