Changes at Pleasure Island won’t be finished until 2012

TURKEY

Original Poster
From the Orlando Sentinel website:

Walt Disney World hasn’t said much about it plans for Pleasure Island since closing its six nightclubs more than two years ago, but whatever changes are in store apparently won’t be finished until 2012.

That timeframe is tucked inside the Walt Disney Co.’s 107-page annual financial report, which was filed earlier this month with federal regulators.

In a section describing Disney World’s holdings, Disney writes,” In September 2008, the company commenced a plan to enhance Pleasure Island, which will feature new shopping and dining experiences to entertain guests of all ages. The project is expected to be completed in 2012.”

Pleasure Island’s six nightclubs closed Sept. 27, 2008. Disney has said it wants to make the venue more appealing to all age groups — rather than only those of legal drinking age.

But since the closings, only one new venue has opened at Pleasure Island: Paradiso 37, a restaurant with Mexican and South American cuisine. Disney has, however, added some other new elements elsewhere around Downtown Disney, including the Characters in Flight tethered-balloon ride and the dinosaur-themed restaurant T-Rex.

http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2009/12/changes-at-pleasure-island-wont-be-finished-until-2012/

EPCOT Explorer

Patiently awaiting how our resident apologists and rationalization-ers will spin this.

Here, have some popcorn.

party0052.gif

WDW Vacationer

Well...

It's this thing called the economy. It's in the toilet,in case you have not noticed. When this happens,people stop spending. So do companies.

Now they want to spend,and fix and people cry.

EPCOT Explorer

Well...

It's this thing called the economy. It's in the toilet,in case you have not noticed. When this happens,people stop spending. So do companies.

Which is why they should have left something that was making money, open. :)

I don't see where they are spending, here. Not yet, anyway.

jt04

From the Orlando Sentinel website:

Walt Disney World hasn’t said much about it plans for Pleasure Island since closing its six nightclubs more than two years ago, but whatever changes are in store apparently won’t be finished until 2012.

That timeframe is tucked inside the Walt Disney Co.’s 107-page annual financial report, which was filed earlier this month with federal regulators.

In a section describing Disney World’s holdings, Disney writes,” In September 2008, the company commenced a plan to enhance Pleasure Island, which will feature new shopping and dining experiences to entertain guests of all ages. The project is expected to be completed in 2012.”

Pleasure Island’s six nightclubs closed Sept. 27, 2008. Disney has said it wants to make the venue more appealing to all age groups — rather than only those of legal drinking age.

But since the closings, only one new venue has opened at Pleasure Island: Paradiso 37, a restaurant with Mexican and South American cuisine. Disney has, however, added some other new elements elsewhere around Downtown Disney, including the Characters in Flight tethered-balloon ride and the dinosaur-themed restaurant T-Rex.

http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2009/12/changes-at-pleasure-island-wont-be-finished-until-2012/

Um, so Sep 27 2008 was more than two years ago? :shrug:

Oh wait, it's the lame stream media. Facts don't matter none. Nevermind.:zipit:

WDW Vacationer

I'm sure the decision to close PI was made before the economy tanked.

People whine and complain"Why is there nothing at PI. They should put something there."

Disney says they have a plan-

"Ew. 4 years. I can't believe Disney is doing this!"

Happens all the time. Disney dies what people want,they complain. AGAIN.

TURKEY

Original Poster
Um, so Sep 27 2008 was more than two years ago? :shrug:

Oh wait, it's the lame stream media. Facts don't matter none. Nevermind.:zipit:

Care to address the fact "expected to be completed in 2012.” I wonder if that's code for "seasonal attractions like Wonders of Life and 20K Leagues were".

Mr.EPCOT

Well...

By that logic, Disney shouldn't be letting empty buildings sit there costing them money, instead of leaving them open generating revenue, and at least offseting their own operational costs until when and if the third-parties come along to take over.

EPCOT Explorer

I'm sure the decision to close PI was made before the economy tanked.

People whine and complain"Why is there nothing at PI. They should put something there."

Disney says they have a plan-

"Ew. 4 years. I can't believe Disney is doing this!"

Happens all the time. Disney dies what people want,they complain. AGAIN.

That's the thing...I don't see a plan. And if this is one, it's not a good plan.

jt04

:brick: You would know...

By the way, jt, I view this a what I like to call "Proof".

I remember telling you before but I guess I need to repeat it more often. If you just took my word for stuff you could save yourself a ton of fret and hand-wringing.

Bye the way, from start to finish, the MK expansion will take many years. I don't hear you declaring it a "fail". And nothing much needs to be demolished at FL, unlike PI. Just sayin.

:wave: PI

jt04

Care to address the fact "expected to be completed in 2012.” I wonder if that's code for "seasonal attractions like Wonders of Life and 20K Leagues were".

Disney usually does not give specific dates for new adds or rehab completions because they don't want folks making vacation plans around any date certain. So they use lawyer-speak. "Expected" is just that. I personally believe and expect it will open in stages but I'm not positive about that. It could be that they might be planning to possibly open the new island if all goes well and there are no unforseen issues that are unforseen or could change their possible plans that they may be planning for the near future as expected but not guaranteed.:lookaroun

See, that's lawyer-speak. :lol:

EPCOT Explorer

I remember telling you before but I guess I need to repeat it more often. If you just took my word for stuff you could save yourself a ton of fret and hand-wringing.

Bye the way, from start to finish, the MK expansion will take many years. I don't hear you declaring it a "fail". And nothing much needs to be demolished at FL, unlike PI. Just sayin.

:wave: PI
Oh yes! I'm so distraught over you and PI! :rolleyes::lol: Please. This is nothing to me. I remember telling you that.

I also remember telling you that I look for proof. This constitutes it, and goes against everything you have said on the mater.

FL isn't a failure. I see a plan and what they want to do. It looks good. Can't say the same for Pleasure Island.

You don't see the plan because there have been no details announced.

THEY know the plan. We'll know when we need to.

For all we know it has started. When I was there a building on PI was being dismantled.
True, we will know when they want us too. But don't you think that they would try to shove the closures under the rug with something great and new? The clubs have been gone too long without a word on what we ARE getting. That's fishy.

DisneyParksFan1

Well, I could take this in two ways...

1. It could be that Disney is actually going to spend those four years doing something really worthwhile and exciting.
2. They are just saying it will last 4 years so that they have an excuse to keep it closed longer thus having to spend less money on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom