POTC to get Jack Sparrow

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Cap'n Jack Sparrow sets sail for Florida

Jim Hill talks about the new AA figure that's just been approved for installation in WDW's "Pirates of the Caribbean."

by Jim Hill

Norrington: Well, well, Jack Sparrow , isn't it?

Jack : Captain Jack Sparrow , if you please, sir.

Norrington: Well, I don't see your ship, Captain.

Jack : I'm in the market, as it were.

Murtogg: He said he'd come to commandeer one.

Mullroy: Told ya he was telling the truth. These are his, sir. (hands Norrington Jack's effects)

Norrington: No additional shots nor powder. A compass that doesn't point north. (unsheathes Sparrow's sword) And I half expected it to be made of wood. You are without doubt the worst pirate I've ever heard of.

Jack : But you have heard of me.

By this point, I'd imagine that we've all heard of Captain Jack Sparrow. As played by Academy Award nominee Johnny Depp, Cap'n Jack basically walked off (Well ... staggered off ) with "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl." Thanks in large part of Depp's inspired performance, this 2003 Walt Disney Pictures release went on to earn over $650 million at the worldwide box office.

This popular motion picture has (obviously) sparked a renewed interest in the classic theme park attraction. Though some guests -- as they've been exiting Disney World's version of "Pirates" -- have recently been heard to grumble: "What a rip-off. Cap'n Jack's nowhere to been seen in that ride."

Which (I know) will all make you Disney theme park history buffs out there laugh. Because you already know that "The Curse of the Black Pearl" was only inspired by the "Pirates of the Caribbean" attraction. That this Gore Verbinski film only features elements from the ride. It wasn't meant to be a slavish note-for-note copy of the attraction.

But the members of the general public? They don't seem to understand that. So, when they go on a "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride, they expect -- at some point in the attraction -- to actually get to see Captain Jack Sparrow.

And -- as the hosts & hostesses at City Hall at WDW's Magic Kingdom will tell you -- they've really begun to get complaints about this issue. Particularly now that "Pirates" is out on DVD and continues to sell strongly.

So what's the Mouse to do? Change a classic theme park attraction just to please some somewhat disgruntled members of the general public? You bet.

So even now -- as Walt Disney Pictures is prepping to shoot that "Pirates" sequel -- WDI is making some plans of its own. The Imagineers are looking to fold a little bit of "The Black Pearl" into Disney World's POTC when that Adventureland attraction goes down for a lengthy rehab later this year.

So -- in addition just a general freshing-up of this attraction (As well as repairing the many leaks in the roof of POTC's main show building) -- Disney World's "Pirates" attraction will be getting a brand-new AA figure. An Audio-Animatronic Captain Jack -- supposedly voiced by Johnny Deep himself -- that will appear in the attraction's finale sequence. Which will (hopefully) finally put an end to all those Magic Kingdom guest complaints about WDW's POTC being Sparrow-free.

"So when might we get to see Cap'n Jack staggering around Disney World?," you ask. The current plan calls for the revamped version of "Pirates" to be up & running by the late spring/early summer of 2006.

"Why then?," you query. Remember how "The Curse of the Black Pearl" 's world premiere was actually held at Disneyland? With a giant screen set up right in the middle of the Rivers of America and the film's after-party being held in New Orleans Square? Well, the publicity staff at Walt Disney Pictures is now giving some semi-serious thought to staging a similiar sized event for the world premiere of "Pirates 2." Only this time around, the premiere and the after-party would be held in Orlando inside the Magic Kingdom.

And what better way would there be to cap off an evening of fun (Not to mention maximize your movie's promotion potential) than to have Johnny Depp wielding a sword as he presides over the ribbon cutting at WDW's revamped "Pirates" attraction? Then premiere party-goers (and the press) could board long boats and check out the newly spruced up ride. Not to mention getting pictures of Mr. Depp standing alongside the attraction's new Cap'n Jack Sparrow figure.

Sounds like a pretty amazing event, doesn't it? Well -- just so you know -- staging the world premiere of "Pirates II" at WDW's Magic Kingdom is NOT a done deal. This idea is still very much in just the talking-about-it phase. No definitive plans have been made at this time.

But that Cap'n Jack AA figure? That's actually going to happen, folks, as part of "Pirates" 's upcoming rehab. The budget for the figure has already been approved.

Some Disneyana fans might call this a brilliant idea. While others -- you purists out there -- might call it madness. But -- as Captain Jack Sparrow himself once so eloquently put it: Jack : It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide.

Your thoughts?

CoryMitchell

Hey Guys,
I know this sounds petty and obnoxious. But, from now on, if you could post a link to the article rather than the entire text on the boards. I'm the guy in charge of getting people to visit the site, and when you post Jim's entire article here, then no one actually goes over there to take a look at it. I just posted the story myself this morning. Do me a favor and at least make my work worth while. I may not write the stuff, but I do work hard to get it up and presentable.

Cory Mitchell
JHM Creative Director
cory@jimhillmedia.com

Legacy

:brick:

When will the endless marketing cease? When will Disney learn that sometimes pandering to the lowest denominator can hurt you? First AE, now this?

These movie tie-ins are never going to stop...

Lee

Adventurer
Yep....
Reported that a month or so ago.

Now, wait until JH tells the story about what MAY happen to Pirates at DL...thats a cool story.

BeachClubVillas

Legacy said:
:brick:

When will the endless marketing cease? When will Disney learn that sometimes pandering to the lowest denominator can hurt you? First AE, now this?

These movie tie-ins are never going to stop...

Couldn't agree more. They're going to mess with a classic ride that has entertained people for more than 30 years and add a tie in to a movie that is enjoying its 15 minutes of fame. I mean, come on, does anyone really think that PotC is going to be a classic like Lion King or Snow White??

cherrynegra

Original Poster
CoryMitchell said:
Hey Guys,
I know this sounds petty and obnoxious. But, from now on, if you could post a link to the article rather than the entire text on the boards. I'm the guy in charge of getting people to visit the site, and when you post Jim's entire article here, then no one actually goes over there to take a look at it. I just posted the story myself this morning. Do me a favor and at least make my work worth while. I may not write the stuff, but I do work hard to get it up and presentable.

Cory Mitchell
JHM Creative Director
cory@jimhillmedia.com

Sorry Cory!! I usually include the link to jim's site. I promise to do so in the future!! :wave:

yellowrocket

cherrynegra said:
Cap'n Jack Sparrow sets sail for Florida

Jim Hill talks about the new AA figure that's just been approved for installation in WDW's "Pirates of the Caribbean."

QUOTE]

Thanks for posting it here. I love not having to go over to his site and wade through his Muppet garbage in order to find park related information. Don't get me wrong, I like the Muppets, it just seems that JH is obsessed with them.

Maybe he's learning. At least this time, he didnt' give the "remember where you heard it here first, folks?!?"

Legacy

BeachClubVillas said:
Couldn't agree more. They're going to mess with a classic ride that has entertained people for more than 30 years and add a tie in to a movie that is enjoying its 15 minutes of fame. I mean, come on, does anyone really think that PotC is going to be a classic like Lion King or Snow White??
I think it could be "classic", but much like "20K Leagues" and "Swiss Family Robinsons" are. Classic in a nostalgia sense more than a timeless sense.

I am actually happy that at least one person agreed with me. I was afraid I would get flamed to death for not liking the idea of Sparrow in the attraction.

(And don't get me wrong, I like the idea. I just don't think that it is nessecary.)

CoryMitchell

Jfc2021 said:
well, since two of you know what the DL story is, how about sharing?? :)

I'm not going to tell the story because I don't want to step on Jim's toes. Plus, he could tell it better than I could. But, Lee is free to share.

BeachClubVillas

Legacy said:
I am actually happy that at least one person agreed with me. I was afraid I would get flamed to death for not liking the idea of Sparrow in the attraction.

(And don't get me wrong, I like the idea. I just don't think that it is nessecary.)

I was afraid I was gonna get flamed too. I figured at least since I wasn't the first one to say it, I'd be okay!

Lee

Adventurer
CoryMitchell said:
I'm not going to tell the story because I don't want to step on Jim's toes. Plus, he could tell it better than I could. But, Lee is free to share.

Nope...for the same reasons. :wave:

I think they call this synergy

If I recall correctly they refer to the tie-in between a movie, a ride and a song or some other part of the many different genres synergy.

Love or hate, its the way it is now. So get used to it. But think about this...we all love POTC at WDW the way it is. But when it opened, the DL fans may have been dissappointed. "They even changed POTC when they did it in WDW."

So, someday they may want to add something else, and young folks will say...if you take out Cap'n Jack...its just not the ride! I can't be lieve they want to change it...

I agree, I wish they didn't have to add a Cap'n Jack....I wish everything would stay exactly the same as when I first visited WDW. But it can't...we are not the only people they market to. We by ourselves can not pay enough to keep the park going. So, they need to entice new customers not old ones.

Look at it like this....if they added new crap to some rides we like....are we going to stop going? NO!

But if they don't add new crap....will new people come in? Possibly no....so they need to keep those new people or the parks will close...we don't want that.

All in all, I sympathize and agree....I would love to see the rides the same (and some that have shut down come back), but looking to the future it just has to change.

Johnny

Legacy

I completely understand the importance of synergy (love it or hate it, it's important), but I still have a problem with budgeting the money to add a new animatronic to a ride that already pulls people through the turnstiles. This animatronic has to be advance in order to please people (Wicked Witch/SIR caliber), and thus will be justifiably expensive. Pirates doesn't NEED Jack Sparrow in order to be entertaining. It's a great ride without him. But they are instead budgeting the money to add something that not everyone will really appreciate (the ones who really care probably amount for 30% of riders). What about Stitch's Great Escape or the the new attraction going in at 20K? We KNOW Stitch needs the money, and who knows where else that money could help.

It just seems like Disney is throwing money where it is not TRUELY needed, and then we get cheaply done attractions because Disney needs to budget.

Is anybody thinking over in the pink cylinder?

KevinPage

Even though POTC is my favorite ride since a child, I welcome the change. I never liked the final scene myself. You could barely make out the treasure room, it was too far away & the pirates sitting upon each other didn't do it for me.

The strange point is "people complaining that there is no Jack Sparrow in the ride".

I always thought this was an overblown remark people always seem to point to, people flooding city hall complaining over little things. I know there are plenty of whiners and complainers out there, but I just don't buy Guest Relations getting some huge questions about this. Could you actually imagine people waiting in line to complain or question this?

Legacy

KevinPage said:
The strange point is "people complaining that there is no Jack Sparrow in the ride".

I always thought this was an overblown remark people always seem to point to, people flooding city hall complaining over little things. I know there are plenty of whiners and complainers out there, but I just don't buy Guest Relations getting some huge questions about this. Could you actually imagine people waiting in line to complain or question this?
Exactly. This is just another example of the vocal minority taking charge. People don't go to City Hall to commend the attraction as is. That just isn't done. But all you need is 5% of the people who ride the attraction in a month to complain and VOILA, you have a problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom