POTC Rehab - good thing or bad thing?

arcsbite

Original Poster
So what do you guys think about the rehab on the MK version of POTC? I think it's loooong overdue!
I understand why Disney put POTC in Florida and I even understand why it's such a poor affair..I just hope they do this really well and don't just cash in on the movie sucess and ruin the ride completely

...plus..it's not like Disney to cash in on a successful movie..... :zipit:

General Grizz

I don't think a PoTC rehab is needed when comparing it to the Carousel of Progress or Haunted Mansion. I'm not really into the movie tie-in, but any special effects or improvements in technology while keeping the same "feel" would be great!

TomorrowlandTyler

I think if it was a complete make over and not just a tune up, they shold make it alittle more exciting and scary, and not just a boaring boat ride(by this I mean only one little drop and flatthe rest of th way) It would be nice if it was like "Journey to Atlantis" at Sea World, http://www.seaworld.com/seaworld/fla/ar_journey_to_atlantis.aspx but PoTC themed of course. JTA is more than just a water ride, at the end it becomes a roller coaster type ride, when the boats go down hill out of the water through banked turns in he dark.it is much more fun and exciting than PoTC as it is now.

Ringo8n24

As long as they did not change the theming to tie into the movie, a normal refurb is necessary from time to time. Hopefully the refurb will not take as long as IASW. Geez, I was tired of that ride, but not being able to ride it the past trip is making me miss it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Lets face it - WDW PotC won`t have any radical changes unless it was torn down and rebuilt. A good overhall would be great, even if the A100`s used in Paris were cloned for Florida but the ride itself can`t change in any great way. Its a pity it was a rush job (less than 2 years from greenlight to opening) but if it hadn`t opened in `73 we may never have seen it in Florida.

arcsbite

Original Poster
They are changing the whole thing, they decided that Florida could not compete with the classic one in DL (and god, don't we all know that!)
and so it is getting a complete overhall
It will feature all the main characters from the Curse of the black pearl, and a lot of the surrounding areas will also get makeovers including the local resteraunts.
They decided to have classic at California and new at Florida
it sounds fun...but could be a disaster in the making

arcsbite

Original Poster
marni1971 said:
Lets face it - WDW PotC won`t have any radical changes unless it was torn down and rebuilt. A good overhall would be great, even if the A100`s used in Paris were cloned for Florida but the ride itself can`t change in any great way. Its a pity it was a rush job (less than 2 years from greenlight to opening) but if it hadn`t opened in `73 we may never have seen it in Florida.

It is getting a complete new set up, well not complete, I mean the asics will stay the same but it is being extended and brought upto date with the movie
our guide at the Keys to the kindom tour went into detail about the surround area too, it sounds nice, but it does sound like they thought "oohh good movie...lets cash in and make the land all about Jack Sparrow ect"

Ringo8n24

arcsbite said:
It is getting a complete new set up, well not complete, I mean the asics will stay the same but it is being extended and brought upto date with the movie
our guide at the Keys to the kindom tour went into detail about the surround area too, it sounds nice, but it does sound like they thought "oohh good movie...lets cash in and make the land all about Jack Sparrow ect"

Unless Johnny Depp is alive and present at the attraction each day which is a joke and not happening, I am not thrilled about the remodel to match the movie. I like my classic rides! :(

GymLeaderPhil

I would take anything that is said on the Keys to the Kingdom Tour about future attractions with a grain of salt.

However, I don't think that if WDW snags the Pirate Water Park that we're going to see a total revamp of the ride itself. My money is on Disneyland receiving the park, unless residents have something to say, and even then, I would doubt that something like this movie (even though it is planned to have a trilogy) will stand the test of time. Ten years down the road, will the audience know these characters/story? It will have to be made very clear if the project is green lit.

ToTBellHop

I really do doubt that kind of a change to Pirates. It has been my understanding that the purpose of these refurbishments has and will continue to be an overall upgrade of technology and massive repainting of everything--no changes to storyline, just an attempt to preserve classic Disney. I am sure it will take as long, if not longer, to refurbish Pirates as it has taken at It's a Small World. I agree that Haunted Mansion could use it more, but it'll get a major refurbishment, too, probably after Pirates (it has to be done in time for Pirates 2, of course!)

Figment1986

I wish Pirates would have some elements left out from DL.... But upgrade it too..... (and make the line "We wants the Redhead" Louder!!!!

arcsbite

Original Poster
ISTCNavigator57 said:
I really do doubt that kind of a change to Pirates. It has been my understanding that the purpose of these refurbishments has and will continue to be an overall upgrade of technology and massive repainting of everything--no changes to storyline, just an attempt to preserve classic Disney. I am sure it will take as long, if not longer, to refurbish Pirates as it has taken at It's a Small World. I agree that Haunted Mansion could use it more, but it'll get a major refurbishment, too, probably after Pirates (it has to be done in time for Pirates 2, of course!)

Ah but the purpose of refurbishing pirates is not only to upgrade technology.
When MK was opened the most asked question was "Where are the pirates?" and after a million questions it was thought that the guests should get pirates which is why it was so rushed and was so lancking in comparison with DL, which is why that area of the park is generally so quiet
I mean..if you had the choice which would you ride? WDW or DL?

With the 5th park budget being seperated per park it's also quite a good time to do something major as they finally have the finance.

I'm not a massive fan of PoTC, so either way wouldn't bother me, I just hope it doesn't get tacky.

arcsbite

Original Poster
GymLeaderPhil said:
I would take anything that is said on the Keys to the Kingdom Tour about future attractions with a grain of salt.

However, I don't think that if WDW snags the Pirate Water Park that we're going to see a total revamp of the ride itself. My money is on Disneyland receiving the park, unless residents have something to say, and even then, I would doubt that something like this movie (even though it is planned to have a trilogy) will stand the test of time. Ten years down the road, will the audience know these characters/story? It will have to be made very clear if the project is green lit.

As an ex cast member i'm very aware of that, but this one not only makes sense, it's logistical, it's needed, it's been "demanded" by guests and it's honestly about time

sabian

I wish they would find a way to add on to the attraction building so that they could extend the ride to be longer and fully finish the experience. I think an add on might allow imagineers to incorporate the mocie into the classic attraction. Just a thought. i think this may reboost the popularity of this awesome attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom