A long overdue honeymoon TR

Hello everyone! :wave:

Welcome to my first Trip Report! Normally I am not such a procrastinator…quite the opposite really. I am one of those hyper-organized types, and I had every intention of writing a Trip Report soon after we returned from the honeymoon since I really enjoy reading all the other TRs on this site, but it got put off until now. The big reason why I didn’t do it right away is because part way through the trip I decided I didn’t want to do one at all because we’d been rained on all week, and I thought the whole report would just be “and then it was raining again” or “and then it started pouring” or “so we had to put on those #$%& ponchos again,” etc. Not that we didn’t have a great time, because we did (how could we not? We were on our honeymoon in DISNEY WORLD, of all places), but we’d been looking at the forecast before we went and I definitely had the (stupid) attitude of “it can’t possibly rain all week, it’s our honeymoon!” and like I said, we got rained on, and at times, it sucked. So now that I am over the slight bitterness and am planning the next trip (more on that later) I can look back on our trip in May and remember only the great times we had, and not the rain…well, for the most part :rolleyes:

So who are “we”?

That would be me – Shannon (25) and my husband, Will (24):

Screen%20shot%202009-09-18%20at%2010.52.37%20PM.jpg

We started dating in February 2005, got engaged in March 2008, and married on May 16, 2009. (Weirdly enough, it rained on our wedding day too and through the ceremony, but cleared up in time for the reception. Maybe we just bring the rain wherever we go.) Being the crazy planner that I am, right after we got engaged (the day of, in fact) I started thinking about planning the wedding and the honeymoon. I wanted to lie on a beach all week, but Will wanted to go to Disney. I’d only been one time - August of 1995 - so obviously a lot has changed since then, and I sort of viewed it as a little kid’s place, like so many that just “don’t know” do. Will had been a few times, most recently in high school I think, and said he wanted us to have a fun honeymoon, more than just lying on the beach. I didn’t want to ruffle any feathers, so I said sure, and off we went. I’ll admit, I was sort of embarrassed to tell people where we were going on our honeymoon because of the “little kid” thing, but despite that, my crazy planner instincts kicked in and I bought the Unofficial Guide, joined this site, and we booked our trip through AAA (thank you B4/G3 deal!). In almost no time at all, despite not having been to WDW for almost 15 years, I realized that I was already hooked and Will was right to insist that this is where we’d spend our honeymoon. Eventually I was more excited for the honeymoon than I was for the wedding.

Ariel484

Original Poster
So the trip was booked – May 18-24 at the Boardwalk with the Disney Dining Plan and park hoppers – and despite the fact that I truly did find myself more caught up in planning the Disney trip than the wedding itself, our wedding went off without a hitch on the 16th. I probably sound like a freak in saying that I was more excited for the honeymoon, so let me make it clear that our wedding exceeded my expectations, and I’m lucky to have such a great husband. It was a fantastic day!

We took a day to recuperate at home on the 17th and hit the sack as early as possible. The next day was the one we’d been waiting for…Disney, here we come! (Just a warning, I ramble on a bit during this thing…)

Ariel484

Original Poster
Day 1: Flying into Orlando/Epcot/DHS

We woke up at the ungodly hour of 5AM and headed to the airport in Cleveland. Getting through security was pretty easy, except that Will forgot to take his Swiss Army knife off of his keychain…d’oh! Just shows you how rarely we fly, I guess. Soon we were finally on our 7:45, non-stop flight to Orlando! It seemed to take forever…we just wanted to be there already!

We touched down a little after 10AM and were immediately on the hunt for the Magical Express counter. We found it pretty easily and hopped in line.

DSC00369.JPG

After waiting probably about 30 minutes, we boarded our bus and were off! This is when we spotted our first sign of trouble…clouds were rolling in. Ugh! I was quite sad that it had been sunnier in Cleveland that morning than it was in Orlando. Oh well.

DSC00373.JPG

We got to the Boardwalk quicker than I expected…since it’s been so long, we’re a little fuzzy on how long the entire trip took, from landing at MCO to actually walking into the Boardwalk. I say it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5 hours, where Will says it was longer. Hmm..:shrug:

I loved the Boardwalk almost immediately. Will and his parents had stayed here on their last trip, so this is where he wanted to go, and I am glad I let him decide that. Plus, on my last trip we’d stayed at AS Sports…not a great place for a honeymoon! We got checked in pretty quickly – no line – and were given 3 sets of buttons – the “I’m Celebrating” buttons, “Just Married” buttons, and “1st Visit” buttons. We tried to tell the CM that it wasn’t technically our first visit, but she gave them to us anyway. We felt funny about it and didn’t wear them…what a moral dilemma!

Our room wasn’t ready yet - no surprise there – so we left our carry-ons with the bellhops. We were itching to get to the parks, but I wanted to take some photos first:

DSC00377.JPG

DSC00378.JPG

Ariel484

Original Poster
By then it was gently raining, so we stopped by the Boardwalk gift shop for items that I would come to loathe by the end of this trip – the ponchos. :fork: They were necessary and helpful, because obviously they kept us from getting drenched, but I hated that we had to wear them. And out comes the bitterness! Oops!

With our stylish ponchos on, we were off. We headed over to Epcot via the Boardwalk, and this is when I started to get truly super excited for the trip and love the Boardwalk even more – I mean, you can’t beat that location. I couldn’t believe that we were so close to Epcot! Unfortunately I think we’re spoiled for future trips – we can’t see ourselves staying anywhere else mostly because of the location, though maybe when we have kids we’ll stay on the monorail.

We arrived in France and took a few photos, and then decided we couldn’t put lunch off any longer…off to the Boulangerie Patissarie! We paid for this one OOP…I got a ham and cheese quiche and Will got the ham and cheese croissant. Delicious!

DSC00382.JPG

DSC00387.JPG

After lunch, we had one mission – bride and groom mouse ears! We began to make our way toward Mouse Gear, stopping along the way for photos in Morocco and Italy.

DSC00388.JPG

Success! Mouse Ears purchased!

DSC00403.JPG

Ariel484

Original Poster
Donning our new ears (very hard to do in the rain, especially if you want to use your poncho hood), we wandered around Future World for a bit. We walked onto the Seas with Nemo and Friends, our first ride of the trip! I was excited for this one, but it was just okay for me. Not sure I’d do it again. When we came out it was about 2:30 and it was raining even harder. We were both in need of dry shoes and dry clothes at this point, so Will called the Boardwalk to check on our room – it was ready! We trekked back through Future World and WS and were at the Boardwalk pretty quickly. We stopped in at the Boardwalk Bakery for a snack and our first experience with the DDP. We went to the Bakery all week and I was sort of confused as to what was a snack and what wasn’t – it seemed like some of the stuff that was marked was pretty similar to things that were not (i.e. cheesecake was marked as a snack but sugar-free cheesecake was not). Oh well. I picked out a delicious-looking fruit tart and Will picked…a bag of potato chips. Um, what? Oh well, who am I to judge. Snacks in hand, we headed back to the Inn and up to our room. We’d booked a standard view room with hopes for an upgrade (some of that honeymoon pixie dust we’d heard so much about), but alas, it wasn’t in the cards for us. We ended up with a lovely view of the entrance to the Inn and a lot of concrete, but you get what you pay for:

DSC00393.JPG

DSC00400.JPG

We could also see the very top of the Tower of Terror (one of the few rides I remembered from my previous trip) in the distance, so that was cool.
DSC00404.JPG

My delicious fruit tart (I gave Will a bite and he said something along the lines of “What was I thinking getting a bag of potato chips?!” Aha!):
DSC00398.JPG

We changed into dry clothes from our carry-ons and I was starting to wonder when our luggage would magically arrive. Just as I started to panic a wee bit (around 3:30 PM), there was a knock on the door – luggage was here! It look longer than I expected, but thanks to tips from the UG and this board, we were prepared for that.

We took the boats over to DHS for Extra Magic Hours, something I don’t think they had the last time I was in Disney World. This thing also wasn’t there last time:
DSC00416.JPG

Don’t hate, but I don’t really mind it all that much. It shielded us from the rain quite a bit, but I can see how people get upset that it blocks the view of the Chinese Theater.

Ugh, look at that sky (pics are a little out of order here):
DSC00409.JPG

Our first stop was RNRC, something else that wasn’t there in ’95. We walked up to get FPs, and the CM said that they were out…but meanwhile, there was another CM to his left with a stack of FPs in her hand, giving them out to guests. Hmm? We grabbed the FPs from CM #2 and hopped into the line immediately…I’m still not sure what was going on, the return window was noon or something, so maybe they didn’t exhaust the supply that day? Anyway, I thought RNRC was just okay – I’m not a huge fan of the initial blast-off, and the rest of the ride is good, but way too short. I’m glad we didn’t wait very long for it. Will loved it though, so I’ll still go on it in the future I guess.

Next up was one of the only rides I remembered from my last trip…ToT! The posted wait time was 20 minutes, but it was really more like 10. I’m sure the rain really cleared the parks out, so that was great. And the ride was fantastic…we agreed this would not be our last trip to the Hollywood Tower Hotel.

Next up was Toy Story Pizza Planet. This was just okay – we both got the combo meals (salad, pizza and cookie)…the CM gave me the wrong cookie, and by the time I realized it, they were actually closed already! It was only about 5:30 PM…I was really surprised. Do all CS locations close that early? That’s pretty inconvenient if you have the QS Dining Plan. Anyway, all the CMs were still there and wouldn’t exchange my cookie, so I was annoyed about that. The food was just okay…probably wouldn’t go back.

We took in a showing of Muppet Vision 3D and then headed to the Great Movie Ride…again, don’t flame me, but we thought this one was a loser. Voyage of the Little Mermaid was next…my favorite movie (along with BaTB) when I was little! I had to drag Will into this one, but we were both pleasantly surprised…I really love the lights and the performance of Under the Sea, but the water effect was a little much, especially since it had been a slightly rainy day already.

Next up was ToT again…we got to walk on twice! The drop sequence was different every time and it seemed to just get better and better. We definitely had one of those rides where the screen came down, we were sure it was over, and then suddenly we were thrust up again for a series of drops! We couldn’t get enough and may have some sort of addiction :)

We had about an hour of park time left, so I wanted to hop in line for TSMM…the wait was, I believe, about 45 minutes according to the tip board, and we couldn’t really think of any other rides we wanted to go on (besides ToT over and over!) so even though the line was long-ish, we headed over to Pixar Place. We arrived at the line and sort of stared at it…there really were a lot of people! Darn. A CM named Paul spotted our wedding buttons and started chatting with us, asking about the wedding, where we were from, etc., which was fun. Then he put out his hand and said “a little wedding gift from me.” I wasn’t sure what he was doing and had a blonde moment (“does he want to shake?” I think were my exact thoughts), so I put my hand out, and…TSMM fastpasses! Woo! I was sort of flabbergasted and stammered a thanks, and he said no problem, we could use them whenever we wanted (a one-time use)…they would expire May 31. So we immediately hopped into the fastpass line! I’m not sure where they took us, but we walked onto the ride literally a minute later. Later in the week we got FPs the old fashioned way and had to wait a bit longer and went a different route, so I’m still not sure where they took us that first day – maybe through the handicapped entrance? Anyway, TSMM was SO much fun! One of my favorites I think, but I would never wait 2 hours for it – FP only. As we got off the ride, CM Paul was helping people out of the cars, spotted us, and laughed, saying “Wow, that was fast!” It was a great end to our day.

Here’s Will, the Scrabble fan:
DSC00419.JPG

We opted to walk back since the boats were crowded with DHS getting ready to close. The walk was pretty pleasant and not too far at all…and day 1 came to a close. Goodnight!

Last edited:

Ariel484

Original Poster
Day 2: Animal Kingdom and Boma

I woke up excited the next day…my first ever trip to Animal Kingdom! After stopping by the Boardwalk Bakery for a delicious egg and cheese croissant, we boarded our bus and were at the Animal Kingdom a bit after it opened. It was rainy and yucky out, so with our ponchos on, we made our way toward Expedition Everest. We enjoyed it, but the rain really slapped our faces and we got disco Yeti – all strobe lights and no movement. Ah, well. It didn’t stop us from riding again immediately afterwards:

DSC00440.JPG

DSC00444.JPG

Next up was Dinosaur, which only had a 5-minute wait. We both enjoyed this one a lot more than we thought we would.

We decided to escape the rain and take in Flights of Wonder. I’d read good thing about this show in UG, so it was a must-do on the list for me. The hosts were really great – very knowledgeable and funny, and I got picked to go on stage! I’d just bought a bright pink camera for the trip, and when they asked for people with cameras, I whipped mine out and jumped up and down, and they picked me! “You, the girl with the pink camera!” YES! My job was to take a picture of this vulture-like creature flying at me, but I got stage fright and forgot what to do until the last second. So here’s the picture…not great, but it’s from my one brush with fame:

DSC00460.JPG

I also got a Magical Moments certificate that said “Bird Encounter”…haha.

DSC00462.JPG

Next up was Kilamanjaro Safaris, which I was most looking forward to in Animal Kingdom. Our guide was pretty good, and we saw a decent amount of animals despite the wet weather.

It was still raining, so I suggested FOTLK as a chance to dry off. Everyone else had the same idea that we did, so we were in a big line for about 20 minutes. We found the show to be pretty fun (I think we were in the warthog section) and were just very happy to be somewhat dry.

DSC00533.JPG

Of course, when we got out, it was STILL raining – ugh! So we hightailed it to Dinoland to wait in line for Finding Nemo: The Musical. We got some great seats, and Will later admitted to me that though he wasn’t excited for these shows, he really enjoyed them. I thought Nemo was great and liked it better than the Lion King.

DSC00600.JPG

We got out of Nemo and surprise – it was still raining. So off to Flame Tree BBQ! We got our food – pulled pork sandwiches – and ran to one of the pavilions to chow down. We thought the food here was excellent, especially compared to what we’d had at Pizza Planet. We also made some new friends:

DSC00513.JPG

By the time we were done, it was still raining steadily. We decided to call it a day – I was starting to get discouraged at this point by just how rainy it was, and we had our first table service reservations of the trip coming up, so we didn’t want to be late for those.

We hopped on a bus to AKL and, being the sort-of newbies that we are, got off at the wrong bus stop. It’s been so long now that I can’t remember exactly why or how, but we did end up getting to the right place after boarding another bus and running through the rain (NOW it was pouring) and through puddles. My poncho had ripped at this point and we were tired, soaked and hungry.

We headed to the AKL gift shop so I could replace my now useless poncho, and I was surprised to be given a brand new one free of charge. The CM said that they aren’t supposed to rip, so if my new one did I should just ask for a replacement, which was great. I didn’t want to pay $8 again or however much it cost.

We headed downstairs to Boma for our 5PM reservations and were seated pretty quickly. I know this really goes against the norm, but we were pretty disappointed with our meal. I know part of the bad experience was because we were so frustrated with the weather at this point, and had gotten off at the wrong AKL stop and were soaked. But the place was super crowded (which we should’ve expected for a popular buffet) and we just didn’t find the food to be all that good. We most likely won’t be going back.

We headed back to the Boardwalk through DTD – another rookie mistake, won’t be doing that again – and found that Mousekeeping had some fun:

DSC00658.JPG

Adorable.

After showering and getting into dry clothes, we felt much better. It was still raining, so we grabbed our umbrella and headed over to Jellyrolls. This was a great end to our day – it was so nice to just unwind with a cold beer, and the piano players were great. They didn’t play our songs, but we were cheap and only gave them a dollar, where others were throwing twenties up there. I’m hoping that we can return on our next trip...and day 2 is done.

DSC00659.JPG

DSC00663.JPG

Ariel484

Original Poster
Day 3: Magic Kingdom and Jiko

Today is a new day! The sun wasn't shining when we woke up, but it wasn’t raining, so I was enthused. After another lovely Boardwalk Bakery breakfast, we boarded the bus to the Magic Kingdom.

DSC00664.JPG

DSC00666.JPG

Slightly ominous, no?

As we walked in, I looked to my right and saw a small line forming…Chip & Dale meet and greets! We hadn’t really thought about trying to get character photos, but they were Will’s favorites when he was little, so I thought since they were right there, we may as well…
DSC00667.JPG

Chip and Dale were fun, but we weren’t hooked yet (the key word in that sentence is YET…)
And let me just say for the record that I went on the “bride diet” before the wedding and lost some weight, so I now realize how sloppy I looked with all the baggy clothes. An excuse to go shopping I guess!

Here we are in front of the castle…but what’s missing? Where are the rain clouds??
DSC00669.JPG

Next up was the ghost town known as Tomorrowland. One other thing I remember from my 1995 trip was riding Alien Encounter, and waiting in a huge line – all of Tomorrowland was packed back then. I think that’s what made it so strange to see it so empty that day. It was really sort of creepy, and I kind of felt like we shouldn’t be there. Very strange.
DSC00672.JPG

As a result, we walked onto Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger spin. This one was fun, but I liked TSMM a whole lot more. I think Will beat me in overall points, but my accuracy was much better…that counts for something, right?

On the way out we met a new friend with no line:
DSC00677.JPG

He was a cool one to meet but wasn’t in character at all, just sort of nodded at us. I wonder how hard it is to move around in the giant plastic costume?

We made our way to Mickey’s Philharmagic…very fun! I liked it more than Muppets. Next up was a spin on Winnie the Pooh (loved the pink elephant scene). We wanted to get on Peter Pan, but the line was way too long. Perhaps next trip.

The Haunted Mansion was next. We got to walk right on, and it was awesome. I can’t remember if I went on this one in 1995…I’m sure I must have, but either way, it was great.

Despite having been rained on for almost 2 straight days, I really wanted to go on Splash Mountain. After some convincing, Will agreed. We grabbed FPs for BTMRR and walked onto Splash. It didn’t disappoint! Very fun, and we managed not to get drenched.

We took a walk through Swiss Family Robinson treehouse (eh) and then walked onto POTC, and, well…we did not like this ride (blasphemy, I know) :(. But when we got out…SUN! I actually had to put sunblock on! Woo!

It was lunchtime. We decided to try Pecos Bill’s Café. We thought the food was pretty good (I think we both had chicken wraps), but liked Flame Tree better. Man, was that place packed!

We headed back toward the castle where Dream Along with Mickey started. We made it through long enough for me to take 2 pictures – it was just way to precious for us. I could see how little girls would adore it through for the princesses alone.
DSC00684.JPG

Hmm, rain clouds are returning...

DSC00686.JPG

By now, the rain was returning. As we made our way toward the exit, we managed to meet one last friend before the skies opened up.

DSC00687.JPG

No matter…it was time for our big, fancy dinner at AKL…Jiko!

Last edited:

Ariel484

Original Poster
We headed back to the Boardwalk to shower and change. I can’t remember what route we took to AKL this time, but I know it wasn’t through DTD! We also got off at the correct stop…look how much we’ve learned! We were early for our reservation, so we took some time to look around the resort and check out the savannah.

DSC00698.JPG

I think this resort is amazing…I’d like to stay here one day, but I just can’t see myself being 100% dependent on the bus system. We had generally good luck with the buses on this trip, but I liked being able to walk to parks as well.

DSC00690.JPG

DSC00704.JPG

We got seated pretty quickly. Our server was very nice and recommended a great wine for me to try (I can’t remember what it was now, but it was definitely a sort of combination of 2 reds). We started off with a tasty cheese plate:

DSC00718.JPG

DSC00719.JPG

I thought the ambiance of this place was fantastic – it was quiet and romantic, which was just what we wanted since this was our honeymoon. We both loved the bird decorations.

And now, our meals! Will ordered the Chermoula Chicken with Goat Cheese potatoes. And let me tell you…those potatoes were awesome!

DSC00725.JPG

But I think I was the winner on dinner (yuk yuk yuk) with the Oak-grilled filet with macaroni and cheese.

DSC00726.JPG

I remember reading the menu on allears.net and thinking “Why does it come with mac and cheese? How weird!” Well as anyone else that has had it knows, that macaroni and cheese is AMAZING! So good! I’m salivating just thinking about it…(I have tried to make it at home a couple of times since the trip and it’s been disastrous!) The steak was great too…Will, who doesn’t eat red meat very much (my MIL is a vegetarian) even said he wished he’d gotten the steak.

Somehow, even after licking out plates clean (figuratively speaking) we managed to shove down some dessert.

Will got the Pistacio Cremem Brulee, and was very intimidated by its size.

DSC00736.JPG

I got the Tanzanian Chocolate Cheesecake, which comes with lavender ice cream! Very unusual, but good.

DSC00737.JPG

Overall this meal was absolutely fantastic. From start to finish everything was great, and the staff was wonderful. I thought it would really hurt to use up 2 TS credits, but I think it was totally worth it. This is a must-do for future trips.

We waddled out of AKL to catch a bus to DHS, hoping to catch the 10PM Fantasmic showing. However, we had to wait about 20 minutes for a bus (and during this time we were treated to just a charming display by a truly awful man who was yelling at his family for who knows what, and really didn’t care that we were right there), and of course we got to DHS about 5 minutes after they closed. We’d try again the next day.

We walked back to the hotel and took the long way around the lake to check out Yacht and Beach club – we needed to walk off that excellent dinner! And day 3 came to a close.

Ariel484

Original Poster
Day 4: Animal Kingdom and DTD

Back to Animal Kingdom! Once again, we headed immediately to Expedition Everest…we could’ve sworn that the Yeti swatted at us the first time around, but the second time, he was still disco Yeti. Maybe we imagined it that first time? We’re still not sure.

Next up was the Pangini Forest Trail and the Maharaja Jungle Trek. We really enjoyed just taking our time and wandering through. It was fun to see the tigers…Will liked the bats but they sort of creeped me out.

DSC00760.JPG

DSC00770.JPG

For some reason I decided I wanted to try Kali River Rapids…what is it with me wanting to go on those water rides when we’re finally experiencing a dry day? Being the nice husband that he is, Will agreed to wait in line with me, but the ride was broken. What was supposed to be a 5-minute wait was turning into a 20+ minute wait. By then I decided that this was a sign that we just weren’t supposed to ride this thing, so we hopped out of line and headed back to the safaris.

We spotted DeVine on the way back!

DSC00771.JPG

This ride was awesome! The giraffes were super close and we saw a lot more animals this time. It really is a different ride every time.

DSC00804.JPG

DSC00805.JPG

DSC00830.JPG

DSC00847.JPG

Someone could've told me to fix my hair up there, but no matter. We boarded a bus to Epcot and had lunch at Sunshine Seasons...best CS of the trip in my opinion.

DSC00861.JPG

After that it was back to the Boardwalk after a dry morning (!) to find some surprises in our room:

DSC00867.JPG

DSC00868.JPG

Ariel484

Original Poster
That afternoon we finally got to swim and try out the Keester Coaster…very fun!

After a swim, a shower, and a long wait at the bus stop, we were on our way to DTD. Will was pretty excited for the Lego store but was disappointed in their lack of cool castles. He did like the basset hound though:
DSC00880.JPG

I got my big souvenir of the trip from the Christmas store:
DSC01179.JPG

Next up was dinner at Raglan Road. We started with a beer flight:
DSC00904.JPG

I made the colossal mistake of ordering the steak the day after my awesome Jiko filet…what a dummy! It was okay, but it never stood a chance compared to my dinner from the previous night.
DSC00909.JPG

Will ordered the stew, which was excellent.
DSC00906.JPG

I won dessert though…Bailey’s Crème Brulee. Best dessert of the trip for me.

DSC00916.JPG

Will got the bread pudding, also excellent.
DSC00917.JPG

We got to see the band and dancer for a bit and day 4 was done.
DSC00920.JPG

Last edited:

PoohBear119

Sounds like you had a great time, despite the weather... Much Congrats from a fellow Disney honeymooner (DH and I were there in 2006).

foreverbelle

First off Congratulations on your recent marriage. May you have many happy years to come.

I love the report, you guys seem like you had so much fun, even in the rain. Love the 'art' they left on your beds that is so adorable....

Congrats again!

Ariel484

Original Poster
Sounds like you had a great time, despite the weather... Much Congrats from a fellow Disney honeymooner (DH and I were there in 2006).

Thanks! Where did you stay?

What a wonderful trip DESPITE the rain! Congratulations on your nuptuals!!!:wave:

Thank you! The rain did bum me out, but I know it really helped with the lines. Plus, a day in Disney is better than a day anywhere else, rain or no rain :)

Glad to see someone else gets that strawberry cake from Sunshine Grill!

That cake was awesome! It was love at first site!

First off Congratulations on your recent marriage. May you have many happy years to come.

I love the report, you guys seem like you had so much fun, even in the rain. Love the 'art' they left on your beds that is so adorable....

Congrats again!

Thank you! We loved the stuff from Mousekeeping too...just one of those things that makes Disney special :wave:

Ariel484

Original Poster
I just realized that I left out a big part of day 4…Fantasmic! After DTD, we hopped on the bus to DHS, determined to catch tonight’s showing. It was raining again by the time we got to the park, but we headed to the amphitheater and plopped down. For an hour we sat there, in the steady rain, sitting very still. The ponchos helped greatly, but our feet were soaked, which is never fun. I was really surprised at how many people had their children there, in the rain, with no rain gear! No coats, no umbrellas, nothing. Oh well, maybe I’m just a big baby! We kept debating on whether or not we wanted to leave – would they really do the show in this weather? – but it got to a point where I got very stubborn and refused to leave until we heard that the show was officially canceled. They kept broadcasting an announcement that the show could be pushed back or canceled due to the weather, and when the official start time rolled around, they announced that the show was delayed. Then 5 minutes later, in the steady rain, the verdict was in – the show would go on!

We really, REALLY liked this show. I loved the boat the end with all of the characters, especially Steamboat Willie. I keep going back and forth on whether I’d sit in the rain for an hour again…today I say yes, I would, but who knows how I’ll feel on the next trip. And also, I must say, I really appreciated the performers in the show – I had no idea that Mickey would be on the mountain and whatnot, and in the rain I’m sure that was pretty scary, so I thought it was great that they put the show on. Plus, who knows what sort of madness would’ve broken out if it had been canceled – the amphitheater was full, and I’m sure they would’ve had a full-out mutiny.

Day 5: DHS and Epcot

Another day, another tasty breakfast at the Bakery. We hopped on a boat to DHS, the scene of our drenching the night before. It was cloudy again, but no rain yet. And it was the first day of Star Wars Weekend! We had no idea this was going on when we booked the trip, and aren’t really fans of the movies, but we were curious to see what would be going on.

Our welcome committee…I waved at one and he sort of shook his finger at me as if to tell me he wasn't putting up with my shenanigans:
DSC00922.JPG

Flower and Garden festival was still going on too:
DSC00923.JPG

We grabbed FPs for TSMM and then backtracked to RNRC…one of us enjoys the initial blast, the other does not:
DSC00936.JPG

Back to ToT!
DSC00928.JPG

Next up was the BaTB show. I thought this one was really fun and we had pretty good seats. We were right next to a really cute little girl that really enjoyed the show as well, which made it more fun for us.
DSC00956.JPG

We were heading back to Pixar place when we spotted a line for the big cheese…Jedi Mickey!
DSC00939.JPG

We hopped in line but the rain chased Mickey inside. After waiting for a few minutes, we saw Princess Leia Minnie heading our way, but before she could reach us, the rain picked up again and she ran away. This was it, our mission was clear – we NEEDED a photo with Mickey!

After recovering from our defeat, we took a spin on TSMM and headed to the ABC Comissary for lunch. I can’t remember anything about the food, all that stands out is the never-ending loop of ABC ads that played on the TVs. I think we’ll skip this one in the future. By then it was pouring again and people were piling in the building to get out of the rain. UGH! We ran out of the park and back to the Boardwalk to freshen up before heading to Epcot for EMH.

During our afternoon break, the rain had stopped…YES! We headed to Chefs de France for our ADRs and were seated pretty quickly. We both got the exact same meal – the 3-course selection with the Salade Bleu, Gratin de Macaroni and the Crème Brulee:
DSC01013.JPG

DSC01015.JPG

DSC01017.JPG

This meal was a pleasant surprise – we’d wanted to get into Teppan Edo at the last minute but there were no openings, so we sort of threw Chefs in there, and it was great. Plus, we got to meet the chef!
DSC01011.JPG

Last edited:

Ariel484

Original Poster
Next up was the Epcot character spot, and our (couple hours long) dream came true! We met Mickey!

DSC01024.JPG

DSC01025.JPG

We also got pictures with Pluto, Minnie, Donald and Goofy. Minnie was really cute – dancing around in between photos. Pluto and Donald were less active. We really enjoyed Goofy as well. From this point on, we wanted as many character photos as possible!

DSC01027.JPG

DSC01028.JPG

DSC01030.JPG

We strolled around a bit before Illuminations…and it was…well…we liked Fantasmic better, to say the least. Next up was my favorite part of the trip, just strolling around WS during EMH. We enjoyed wine flights from France and goofed around before heading back to catch some shut-eye.

DSC01037.JPG

DSC01069.JPG

DSC01070.JPG

clee687

Congratulations on your marriage!!! I am really enjoying your trip report-sorry you had so much rain. One of my favorite days of all time at Disney was a rainy day on our very first visit...it just gave the parks a different feel(besides feeling wet!!!). I definitely would not want it my entire trip though-glad you had fun anyway!

Jasmine89

Loving your trip report! Congrats on your marriage!

And totally know how you felt on the rainy Fantasmic I was in Disney around that time. We sat for an hour under a drizzle until the show started. And we too saw little kids with no ponchos, jackets etc...
keep the report coming!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom