Anyone ever heard of this Disney tragedy?

Ilovewishes

So if this is correct and Disney are hiding the evidence I just have two questions: -

How do they keep witnesses quiet? and
What do they do with the bodies?

:lookaroun

sublimesting

Original Poster
So if this is correct and Disney are hiding the evidence I just have two questions: -

How do they keep witnesses quiet? and
What do they do with the bodies?

:lookaroun

The thing that jumped out at me was that they tied the body to a buoy and didn't retrieve it until nightfall. The real police would never allow this and I highly doubt Disney would pull something like this.

kap91

I had a long version of this but I don't feel like retyping it:

I have heard of both these incidents before however they were described in much different ways. Particularly, the incident with the sprite as I heard it involved aperson cutting in front of a ferry at the last second. I do not trust this article on many grounds because it is sensationalistic and reports many false facts and confuses information. It says that Disney never takes responsibility even if an accident is it's fault. That is a complete lie as at least for the past twenty years or so any time there's been an accident that is Disney's fault they have taken the blame and fixed the problems. Also the article consistently confuses Disney World, Disneyland, and the Disney company.

I tend not to like when the media get a hold of incidents at Disney because they give them unfair exposure. If a man died in the parking lot of a Publix there's no way that that would make the national news. Yet if a man died on main street because of the same ailment you can bet that it would make the news for two or three days- and there would probably be a lawsuit too. Sorry for the rant but I get extremely annoyed at the unfairness the media shoes Disney (and other large brands as well but since I happen to like Disney it annoys me even more.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The cleat rumor sounds like a sensationalized version of something that actually happened. In essence one of the tie off cleats for the riverboat came loose hit a man in the head and caused his death. The whole guests chopped up in the paddle wheel sounds like pure fiction.

sublimesting

Original Poster
The cleat rumor sounds like a sensationalized version of something that actually happened. In essence one of the tie off cleats for the riverboat came loose hit a man in the head and caused his death. The whole guests chopped up in the paddle wheel sounds like pure fiction.

The cleat actually did happen. As for the ferry pulling out to fast or people being intoxicated, that's probably not so, but something definately went wrong. There are plenty of Disney tragedies but I never read of the Schenck one but saw it all over the NET. It sounds very implausible to me...but you never know, it may have happened and then was sensationalized into that story.

Tom

Beta Return
http://purpleslinky.com/offbeat/disneyland-scandals-the-unheard-tragedies/

The one in particular has to do with Pat Schenk and the sprite boating accident. I have heard of all manner of Disney deaths but this one seems the most outrageous. I don't believe it because things don't really add up in the story and I can't find it on snopes. So I was wondering if anyone ever heard of it before.

Grade-A Bull Plop. BULL PLOP!

I'm confused. Is this 2-year-old (I only assume they're 2 because of their writing abilities) referring to Disneyland or WDW? I don't know of a ferry boat at Disneyland. :shrug:

I'm also fairly certain that the WDW ferries don't have external propellers - making it very difficult to chop someone up, especially after such a sudden stop and reversal of the boat. That, I gotta see!

Anyway, this is obviously someone who either hates Disney or loves to write crap on their blog in order to get readers - or both. It's sad that there were a few commentors on his blog who fell for it.

luckyeye13 said:
It also doesn't help that the article reads like the instructions for some dollar store product from China.

Love it! So true! :sohappy:

Rob562

I haven't read through the linked page (I tried but it made my brain hurt), but I seem to recall an incident at Downtown Disney involving a woman in a water sprite and the paddlewheel on the back of Fulton's Crab House... (Which led to the paddlewheel's eventual removal)

And I'd heard of the collision between a water sprite and a ferry, but didn't know the details.

Perhaps the author took two stories and combined them...

-Rob

sublimesting

Original Poster
I also can't see a ferryboat operator backing up. And if he did all the guests on the back of the boat not yelling out in terror as he approached the woman.
I also can't see police allowing evidence (the body) in a homicide to sit in the water all day.
And I really can't se Disney just having the 8 year old sit there on the beach all day watching this horrific event.

As I did more and more research I am disgusted at how much people hate Disney based on lies and misinterpretation and misrepresentation and rumours and myth. People think Disney bribes OSHA and this really gets me: Do not declare death on property. Ugghhh

sbkline

tend not to like when the media get a hold of incidents at Disney because they give them unfair exposure. If a man died in the parking lot of a Publix there's no way that that would make the national news. Yet if a man died on main street because of the same ailment you can bet that it would make the news for two or three days- and there would probably be a lawsuit too. Sorry for the rant but I get extremely annoyed at the unfairness the media shoes Disney (and other large brands as well but since I happen to like Disney it annoys me even more.

But what you have to understand is that the more high profile a person or a place is, the more newsworthy things become that happen to that person or at that place.

For example, President George HW Bush vomited on the Japanese Prime Minister and it made national news. If I vomited on someone, it wouldn't even make local news, unless I did it on purpose and it was featured as a police report. Or if I vomited on a well known official, like the Sherriff or the Mayor or something.

Similarly, people die every day and, as you say, it doesn't make national news. But Disney World is a very high profile place. It is a place of interest and things like that that happen at WDW are very much a newsworthy story, like it or not. There's no conspiracy against Disney in the media. It's just simply a matter of a world famous vacation destination where millions of families go a year, as well as celebreties, and as such, when someone dies there, it gets recognition. You can't possibly think that when a death takes place at such a high profile place as WDW that it should receive the same recognition as a death that takes place at the local Cracker Barrel (which would be local coverage only). It's comparing apples and oranges. As a citizen, I realize that deaths occurr all over the country every day. I don't need to know about every person who keels over from a heart attack in every state every day. But when someone dies at a place like Disney World, or Six Flags, yes, I'm interested. Because it's something of interest, worth reporting on.

I have no bias against WDW...I love going there. But I also think it is very fitting that a death there should receive some coverage, since it is such a well known and high profile place. Again, no conspiracy. No sinister plots to discredit the Disney company. Just good reporting.

trr1

hrcollectibles

AndreaHS

This accident did happen. I was there on the ferry. My friends and I witnessed the entire event. We were employees and skipped school to visit the Magic.Kingdom; it was also payday and we were there to pick up our checks. My husband and I went to Disneyland for the 1st time three days ago prompting me to recall that day in 1989
. That's how I found this forum.

alissafalco

This accident did happen. I was there on the ferry. My friends and I witnessed the entire event. We were employees and skipped school to visit the Magic.Kingdom; it was also payday and we were there to pick up our checks. My husband and I went to Disneyland for the 1st time three days ago prompting me to recall that day in 1989
. That's how I found this forum.

If this did happen and you witnessed it can you give us more details about it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom