Tomorrowland's Spire

DarkMeasures

Original Poster
I was looking through the old souvineer books and in one it looks like water is falling through the entrance spires. Did this really happen because it looked pretty cool. I also noticed the biggest reason Tomorrowland seemed so old was its color scheme. The colors were too light and pastel. Darker overall with more intense colors I think would be more fitting for a futuristic look for today if the old tomorrowland still existed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yep, the original Tomorrowland entrance had four waterfalls - one from the top of each spire, and one that ran down the full width of each concrete slope. The slopes at this time were painted a very light blue. Sometime before 1976 (Im still trying to pin down the exact date) the fountains were removed (reasons unknown) from each slope and the spires, and the blue slopes were tiled with an abstract mosaic. They stayed in this form until the 1994 rehab.

DarkMeasures

Original Poster
Nevermind. The fountains are only on when the walls were blue. The pics with the murals added are off.

I do like the spires because of the idea of a fountain. The only problem, like I said before is the color scheme. If you are going to build anyway, make sure the color scheme can change easily to keep up with the times. I can do so much to the constantly changing opinions of guests.

kaos

DarkMeasures said:
Nevermind. The fountains are only on when the walls were blue. The pics with the murals added are off.

I do like the spires because of the idea of a fountain. The only problem, like I said before is the color scheme. If you are going to build anyway, make sure the color scheme can change easily to keep up with the times. I can do so much to the constantly changing opinions of guests.

I remember reading somewhere that those spires were supposed to represent the apartment buildings of the future... kinda small if ya ask me

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
One of the reasons the fountains may have been removed was the spray when the wind was blowing. I recall dodging the water one day when the wind started to pick up. They eventually shut them off that day. During perfect weather conditions, they did look great.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It makes sense.. all that water on either side of the bridge.. I bet the WEDWay would have got wet too (had it been built back then!)

In all their glory.... (note the girl pic; both the spire AND the slope fountains are working, plus the If You Had Wings and Terrace buildings wern`t built yet-see the backstage area behind the to-be WEDWay track. Plus, in the wide pic no WEDWay station, Starjets or Space Mountain))

Attachments

• IMG04363192036A copy.jpg
    IMG04363192036A copy.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 289
  • Tland spires and fountains.jpg
    Tland spires and fountains.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 310

DarkMeasures

Original Poster
diz420 said:
Thank for the great photos and info. marni1971. I never knew about the fountians.....

To think, some of the souvineer books are older than me and yet I never noticed the water in the pictures until recently.

A funny thing I should mention is the color scheme. While it seems to not have been applied at Tommorowland at WDW, a "timeless" color scheme has been used at Epcot in the sense of Futuristic. Of course, I think those colors are out of date.

If you notice the paint on a lot of Epcot buildings were changed recently. Well it seems that it was done for a more permanent color scheme. (as in UoE orange to different colors, SE base, and Imagination).

Anyway, I got a new Imagineering book and this one says what colors to use when building rides and attractions.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hi DarkMeasures!

Is that book `Designing Disney` by John Hench?? Great book if it is.... if its not do tell - I must get a copy!

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I was at WDW during the removal of the pylons. It was a sad day to see the crane pick them up and take them away. I wish I'd taken pictures of the removal, but keeping track of two daughters (at the time 4 and 2), my focus was on different things. During that TL rehab, the only way into TL was past the Mad Tea Party. It really put a spin on the rope drop and run to Space Mountain. CoP had come out of rehab before the rest of TL went down and I recall how great it looked. I was disappointed at the loss of "Best Time of Your Life" to the original "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow". Us eastcoasters only knew the CoP with that song until that point. "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" has since grown on me, but I still prefer "Best Time".

While I think that the current TL is much more interesting to look at (especially at night) I sometimes long for the old TL with "IYHW" and the skyway.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
steve2wdw - I couldn`t agree more. Despite all its shortcomings, I actually miss the original Tomorrowland... maybe thats why I like Space Mountains interior so much - it still reminds me of old TL. The Entrance satellite (building) , the tunnel, the queue area, loading (with its 70`s lighting and decals still kind of apparent), the speedramp (even with the new scenes). Here are a few more pics I found, this time of TL`s 94 revamp

Attachments

• Tomorrowland 94 no spires.jpg
    Tomorrowland 94 no spires.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 243
  • Tomorrowland`94 av plan.jpg
    Tomorrowland`94 av plan.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 256

DarkMeasures

Original Poster
Marni, yes it is the John Hench one.

So far I have the one written by all the Imagineers.
I have the Designing Disney's Theme Parks
And I have Designing Disney (the John Hench one).

I would like to know about others.
I do like the new Tommorowland more than the old one though. The only thing I don't like is the Speedway. (I can't say anything on Stitch but I loved AE).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yeah, the Speedway lets the rehab down a bit... at least its open regularly though unlike the Paris version. I`ll get my book list together incase there are some you don`t have - PM me if I forget (33 years old and a memory like a goldfish..)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hi DisneyGrl85

I have a lot more. A couple of thousand JPEGs I`ve collected over the years, plus an awful lot of books (the above pics were scanned from The Story of Walt Disney World, 1976,) - you can see my collection in my photo album, which I`ve used mainly to illustrate threads on these boards. And you remined me - thankyou - I was going to do a book list for DarkMeasures, as posted above! Told you I have no memory. Oi! DarkMeasures! You didn`t remind me!! :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom