Virginia Davis, Walt's original Alice, dead at 90

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
Virginia Davis was the young cutie hired by Walt Disney in the 1920s to star in the Alice Comedies, a series of shorts where a little girl would enter a cartoon world and interact with the animated characters. These were some of Walt's earliest attempts at animation and the series was a moderate success. Crude by today's standards and overshadowed by Walt's subsequent work, the Alice Comedies were the first projects Walt was able to distribute on a wide basis. They also introduced the animated bully Pete, who went on to antagonize Oswald the Lucky Rabbit and Mickey Mouse after the Alice shorts were discontinued.

It's probably safe to say that Davis was the first Disney "star"...even preceding Oswald. Four young actresses played Alice over the course of the series, but she was the first and the one most often associated with the series. She was only 5 years old when she began working with Walt.

alicevirginia1.jpg

More on her career and death here:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/virginia-davis-1918-2009.html

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
She had been rumored to have a scheduled appearance at the D23 Expo next month. Hopefully they will do something to honor her there. If any group will appreciate it, it's the crowd of hardcore Disney fans they seem to be promoting this to.

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
It's a shame that Chit Chat is getting so little traffic today. This is a pretty big Disney story to me, but I don't see anywhere else it really fits.

EPCOTPluto

I would try to post it first in News & Rumors or General Discussion. It brings attention, especially when moved somewhere else...

And a scheduled D23 appearance? Hope they'll honor her work & memory there. :(

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
Here's an undated photo of Virginia from a Kansas City Star story about her death (the same paper Walt delivered as a boy).

I figured she would look completely different, but her appearance still had a sweet, girlish quality even late in life.

638-virginia.embedded.prod_affiliate.81.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom