Tips for my trip :)

Kirsty87

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

Am new to the boards!

I am visitng Walt Disney World in early September this year as part of a group of ten family members. Many of us have been before, and this will be approx. my eleventh or twelfth time.

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions for me to try this year that I may not have already, in order to make the trip a bit different from the rest. I know that many of us will split off into groups this year, and I believe my boyfriend and I will do the parks as a twosome. I have never tried spotting things like hidden mickeys before and wondered if it were worth it. Or are there any magical hidden things to spot or try, any places we MUST eat in, or any rides that are underestimated we may not have ridden?

Looking forward to your suggestions :)

Kirsty
x

KingStefan

Hi, Kirsty. Welcome once again to the boards!

I see from your profile that you were there two years ago in Aug (me, too; isn't that funny - and I'm leaving to come home just before you arrive this year!). I also see that you're a veteran, so you probably already know how you like to tour the parks. So I won't give you too much of my opinion on that.

But, there have been a lot of new things. I'm still researching them myself for my trip, but here is a partial list.

At MK:
Haunted Mansion refurb - gets rave reviews on these boards
Hall of Presidents - includes Pres. Obama, and several new improvements
TTA refurb - not much difference, but at least it should be running by the time we get there
Pixie Hollow - visit the fairies - Tink and four friends (don't know if you're into characters)
new parade - from what I hear like the old one without the bubbles
Move It! Shake It! Celebrate It! Street Party - my kids are gonna love this, even though it doesn't get much love on these boards. Kinda like an interactive show/ "pseudo-parade" that they roll out on a kind of a float (I think) and then interact with the guests. I don't really know, but I'll find out soon!
New castle stage show - haven't heard any reviews

At Epcot:
SSE refurb - mixed reviews here, but public seems to like it
Disney's Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure - more for kids, but I'm guessing maybe there are some in your party. You get a "Kimunicator" that's like a cell phone and it sends you on an adventure to help Kim out in one of the countries in World Showcase. Sounds neat.
National Treasures - new exhibit in the American pavillion of artifacts from our history

At Studios:
Toy Story Midway Mania - an interactive ride/shooting game - it's all the rage right now and hard to get into, but you might find it a bit easier by the time you get there; go early in the morning and/or FASTPASS early in the monring
American Idol (meh) - a simulation of the American Idol TV show. I'm really not into this but if you are it should be great. There is also the opportunity to participate as a performer, and daily winners complete against each other and could eventually get on the TV show.
Luxo, Jr. - You know that little lamp that squashes the "I" in Pixar in their movie logo flash? He's a character now at the Studios. Should be cute.
Block Party Bash - Another "pseudo-parade" like the "Move It! Shake It! Celebrate It! Street Party" in MK, but sounds like it might be better. This seems to be one of those "hate-it-or-love-it" things. This one sounds good, and I'm looking forward to it. Plus my daughters love stuff like this.
HSM 3 - "pseudo-parade"/stage show - interactive with the kids - based on the movie High Scool Musical 3.
The American Film Institute Showcase - been around for a while but I haven't seen it. Sound basically like a small museum of film-making artifacts, like costumes and props.
Narnia – Caspian (meh) - I saw the previous Narnia attraction, and although it had some neat parts (like how you enter the room), I was unimpressed. It was one big commercial that you couldn't walk away from once you were inside. If this is anything like that one, I won't be a fan. I may go if I need to fill some time.
Star Wars: Jedi Training Academy - mostly for kids, it's an interactive show that teaches how to be a Jedi. Not really new because it was done for a long time during Star Wars weekends, but now it is a permenant show.

Doesn't seem to be much new at AK in the last two years. The Tusker House in Harambe, Africa that used to be a counter service restaurant is now table service and is getting rave reviews. Donald's breakfast has moved here from Restaurantosaurus (and it's no longer Breakfastosaurus, of course; it's now Donald's Safari). Oh, and I almost forgot - the Anandapur Yak & Yeti restaurant is new. They have both a counter service and a table service section. Mixed reviews, but we're going to try it for ourselves - the menu sounds interesting.

In the year or two before they got Everest, and the Nemo show, and the trail to Asia, so I guess the focus is on the other parks now.

Anybody else have any new stuff added in the last two years?

macsmom

I bought the Hidden Mickey's book and read through it once and thumb through it every once in awhile. I forgot it on my last trip, but found myself looking for the Hidden Mickey's during several of my rides. My friend and I spotted several in the Haunted Mansion and she was quite proud of herself when she noticed two by herself. I find it to be quite fun, but not distracting.

danna

nepalostparks

Welcome to the boards!

The one things we've found going a few times is to slow down our pace, and look for the many details that make the Disney experience that much more enjoyable.

For example, in Epcot, you can spend hours exploring all the nooks in the different companies, visiting the different shops and seeing all the many displays and exhibits. There are lots of little places like that in all the parks.

Check out this post http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=452667 . #13 lists a number of little details in the parks you can look for.

Enjoy your trip!

If you don't already, I really suggest starting a Disney Pin collection.

My mom and I started Pin Trading about five years ago. We have to do it everytime we go cause it is just fun. The cast members are always really fun and nice to trade with. It's like a treasure hunt!

And another suggestion, is to have your whole group ride DINOSAUR at AK together. It's fun as a group, especially if you have an 1st Timers traveling with you!

Kirsty87

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all your replies :)! They have been really insightful.

Kingstefan - that is odd that we have been there around the same times, and the fact you are leaving just before I arrive this year with all my family.

Could you maybe go into a bit more detail on a few items for me? I'll list them as it is probably easier!
1. What has happened in the refurb for the Haunted Mansion?
2. What does SSE stand for? I'm really sorry I'm still not clued up on the lingo yet!
3. I've not seen anything about the Narnia element, is it a ride or walkthrough experience?

I'm really looking forward to seeing all of the Pixar stuff, and I believe you can meet more characters now, like those from Up! Although I havent seen that film as it hasnt been released over here yet. Also I have another question, my boyfriend is in the Armed Forces. Is there any sort of discount he will be able to get at all? Or anything I should be aware of?

Thank you again, all of your, for your help. It really is much appreciated :animwink:

yankspy

Hi everyone,

Kingstefan - that is odd that we have been there around the same times, and the fact you are leaving just before I arrive this year with all my family.

Could you maybe go into a bit more detail on a few items for me? I'll list them as it is probably easier!
2. What does SSE stand for? I'm really sorry I'm still not clued up on the lingo yet!
3. I've not seen anything about the Narnia element, is it a ride or walkthrough experience?

I'm really looking forward to seeing all of the Pixar stuff, and I believe you can meet more characters now, like those from Up! Although I havent seen that film as it hasnt been released over here yet. Also I have another question, my boyfriend is in the Armed Forces. Is there any sort of discount he will be able to get at all? Or anything I should be aware of?

Thank you again, all of your, for your help. It really is much appreciated :animwink:
I can help with 1 and 2. The Haunted Mansion refurb included updated audio. The script is still the same but it sounds much clearer than before. They also added a new scene just as you go up the staircase. I will not spoil it for you though. Oh, Leota now floats as well.

SSE stands for Spaceship Earth.

As far as other things to do, rent the little sea raycer boats from one of the resorts. If you have never done so, it is a fun little thing to do.

As far as places to eat, there are so many but just to throw a few out there, BOMA, The Grand Floridian Cafe, and California Grill. Be sure and have a Dole Whip in the Magic Kingdon, if you have not done so already.

DizneyPryncess

Welcome to the boards! :wave:

The Narnia attraction is not a ride. You enter a room, and you remain standing while the walls turn into screens. You see clips from the movie, and then you exit the room. I wasn't that into it, but if you really like the Narnia movies you may enjoy it more.

I think hidden mickey hunting is one of the most fun things to do in WDW. Since you've been there before, and experienced the attractions before, it would be something new for you to do. I would get the 3rd edition Hidden Mickey book. We like to find our own too & write them in the blank pages of the book. My husband & I have a great time hunting!

Some of my "must eat" restaurants: Ohana or Kona Cafe at the Polynesian, Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Crystal Palace at Magic Kingdom and California Grille at the Contemporary. All are excellent! Some get a little pricey, but we thought were worth it.

Couldn't agree more with KingStefan's assessment of the attractions! I would just be repeating him by listing my favorites too. There's lots of new things to check out. Have fun!

KingStefan

...Move It! Shake It! Celebrate It! Street Party - my kids are gonna love this, even though it doesn't get much love on these boards. Kinda like an interactive show/ "pseudo-parade" that they roll out on a kind of a float (I think) and then interact with the guests. I don't really know, but I'll find out soon!...
Anybody else have any new stuff added in the last two years?

It's five floats, I found out.

Dave Disney

Hi everyone,

Narnia is kind of lame but really detailed and well themed. It's a walk through but you can't leave once your in until the little video finishes and you are basically just standing in a room watching a clip from the end of the movie. Like I said it's very nice to look at but kind of a waste of time since you have to watch the whole clip. Afterwards you walk out through a sort of museum of props and costumes from the movie.

Oh almost forgot SSE is Space Ship Earth

disfan411

I have to agree with one of the other posters. if you havent done the pin trading you should definitly start. It is a lot of fun trying to complete a set and to hunt down those pins all over. There are also special pins that only the cast members get and its fun to find those also.

The new parades this year are also enjoyable.

One thing to do that i didnt see mentioned and not sure if it is still going on when you are going, i dont know if they extended the dates to sept. but see if the wishes desert buffet at the magic kingdom is still going on. It was great. i went in july.

The sci-fi diner is a cool place to eat and so are any of the character dining if your into that.

Have a great time there.

SAV

You HAVE to get a DOLE WHIP in Magic Kingdom.

At Epcot you have to go and watch Myuki make candy in Japan. She is an amazing artist.

Make sure to give Animal Kingdom a full day and slow down and take it all in. There is a lot to see if you slow down to look. Do the Safari early if possible. The animals are less lively in the mid day sun.

At DHS, Toy Story Midway Mania is a must ride. Just get a fast pass early or forget about it. Best to be there at rope drop and get back there as fast as you can.

Also at Epcot, they have a spot in Innoventions where you can ride a Segway. You just have to do their "training" session.

Enjoy.

Shere_Khan

You should pick up the book The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World by Susan Veness.

It is full of all kinds of things that I have never noticed in the world before, and I have been there quite a few times. It is really alot of stuff that you just need to take the time to notice and appreciate. I read the entire thing in about two days, I could not put it down.
Now I am working on making some lists of things I want to try and find for our trip in September.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom