Lodge-hopping... from the Pacific Northwest to an African Savannah: A July 2009 TR!

Last week we returned from our summer Disney fix so it’s time again for another monster trip report!! This one is sure to dwarf my previous reports in sheer size alone considering it was a 9 night/10 day stay at WDW and all our past trips have ranged from 3-5 night stays. I must say it’s a bit daunting, but I took detailed notes and am ready to relive our adventures (and possibly bore you with all the details)!!

The cast includes myself, Holly; the birthday boy, Brett; his parents, Kathy and Danny; and brother, Derek. Here’s one of the few pictures I have of us all from our December 2008 trip:

IMG_1104.jpg

The planning stages of this trip went through many variations. So let’s start at the beginning… ever since the “Celebrate” theme was released I wanted to plan a trip for Brett’s birthday. We started putting it into action sometime in early April and not long after we settled on dates and made reservations, Brett’s parents invited us to join them on their summer trip to the Wilderness Lodge Villas. It just so happened to be close to the dates we were already looking at, so we talked about it and decided if we budgeted right we could do a super trip. Woohoo for super trips :sohappy:.

We changed our dates slightly to line up with theirs, and then I cancelled our ADRs and made some new ones. Since we were on a budget we decided a value resort was a must (and we should forego signature dining)… no ifs, ands or buts about it. Or at least that’s what Brett thought… I, however, had other plans! I got it into my head that it would be so cool to surprise him with a deluxe resort so we wouldn’t, you know, be slumming when we left the WL :lol:. Once I had my mind set I practically took up a vigil waiting for the AP resort rates to be released. And when they were I snagged a pool view room at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for our four night stay! Oh yeah… and we couldn’t possibly celebrate his birthday without some wine and signature dining so I made reservations for Jiko!

To make a long story even longer, Brett called me at work one day and told me his parents had to make a slight change to their dates, which meant we would either have to do the same or lose some days of “our” trip. I was freaking out (and couldn’t tell him) because I just knew the AP rate would no longer be available… and it wasn’t. So I started calling once or twice a day, every day. I can still recite the confirmation number! I was in luck though, because after three weeks of calling the AP rate magically reappeared!!! I guess I’m sharing all this basically to say sometimes it pays to be persistent. Let me just tell you… keeping this secret nearly killed me, but it was totally worth it!

Okay, so now that we've gotten all of that out of the way… let us finally begin.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Day 1, Saturday, July 11: Travel/Epcot

After work on Friday, we packed up and headed to Brett’s parents house, where we tried to get a little bit of sleep before our dark-of-night departure. At 3 am we were off and on our way to Walt Disney World! Nothing too exciting to report about the trip down… other than the fact that Brett and I had to bite our tongues and calm ourselves because what is normally a 6-6.5 hour drive for us always turns into an 8 hour drive with his family because they just LOVE to make stops and take their time. For the two of us we have more of a “we’ve already waited long enough… let’s just get there already” mentality and it’s hard to break!

I will say though, Brett and I were able to rest a little on the way down because we entrusted the driving to our favorite chipmunks… Chip drove while Dale worked the pedals:

P7110001.jpg

After what seemed like forever… we finally traveled through the arch to the Pacific Northwest around 11 am and were welcomed with the sights of sky high trees, bear crossings, geese, bison and the sounds of cowboys blazing a trail through the wild west. I just love the instrumental loop they play in the Wilderness Lodge lobby!

P7150131.jpg

P7150133.jpg

P7110026.jpg

DSC00715.jpg

totem.jpg

DSC00724.jpg

P7140326.jpg

DSC00741.jpg

silver_springs-1.jpg

One of my favorite things about the Wilderness Lodge is that it reveals itself to guests in stages. It really does transport us to another world when we drive onto the property and by the time we get to the lobby many of us are rendered speechless. And this is all before seeing the courtyard. The courtyard, Silver Springs pool, and Bay Lake just take it over the top to complete and total immersion!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
I’m usually the planner/organizer/keeper of the info for Brett and I’s trips (by choice of course because I’m a complete and utter control freak), but I do admit it was nice to leave all that to someone else and wander around the resort taking pictures while Kathy got us checked in and squared away. Luckily for us one of our two studio rooms was ready and we were able to make our way over to the Villas to check it out.

P7110042.jpg

P7140344.jpg

Villas signage:

P7110022.jpg

What’s my favorite thing on the Villas sign? The fact that they have rooms with running water… you know, for people who love to be clean! Love it!

I'm still a bit confused by the large birdhouse in the middle of the Villas lobby:

DSC00705.jpg

DSC00706.jpg

We were on the second floor, studio rooms 2560 and 2562. The last two rooms at the end of this hallway:

DSC00710copy.jpg

That’s right... and the picture doesn’t even do it justice. I swear that hall got longer and longer and longer every time we returned to our room. It was like a magical stretching hallway… of doom!

Here are a couple not so great pictures of the bed and pull out sofa in one of the studios.

P7110012.jpg

P7110013.jpg

Our view definitely wasn’t one for the guidebooks but it really wasn’t too bad. Looking out from the bed or couch it was a nice woods view room, it let the perfect amount of light in, and was actually very quiet!

P7110015.jpg

Up next: Lunch and some fun at Epcot!

DawnBerg

Awesome trip report...sounds like you guys had a wonderful time and I can't wait to read the rest. Makes me anxious for our trip in August. Thanks for sharing.

diddy_mouse

Wow, I almost teared up a little upon seeing the pics of the Wilderness Lodge. It's my favorite deluxe resort. I loved coming back after a long day and seeing that lobby virtually empty and so quiet. Our room was right down the hall across from the Mercantile. Can't wait to go back!

And I can't wait for more of your TR! :sohappy:

WishIWasAtWDW

great trip report so far!! absolutely love the pictures! i really want to stay at the akl and at the wl sometime. so i am very excited to hear all about how your trip was! can't wait to read more.

mouselvrmom

Ooh, I'm so glad you got your trip report started, Holly!

I'm totally loving it!! :sohappy: And I'm so glad that you didn't let Dale control the steering wheel. I'm sure Chip was much better at controlling the steering. :lol:

yankspy

Great so far. I had to laugh at the long hallway picture because I have the same exact picture from when we were also in the room all the way at the end of the hallway. That was rough in the mornings when I was bringing coffee back from roaring fork.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Awesome, when I got to the end that was a tease for me, wanting more pictures.:)

Thanks! I promise there's more to come.

Best title ever! I can't wait to read more about your trip.

Thank you. I was trying to think up a title before we even got back from our trip :lol:.

can't wait for more!!!

:sohappy: love it so far!!

Thank you both! I'm going to try to get a little up each day.

Awesome trip report...sounds like you guys had a wonderful time and I can't wait to read the rest. Makes me anxious for our trip in August. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks DawnBerg. You're going to have so much fun!

Can't wait for the rest of the report. So far it is great. I love the Wilderness so can't wait to see more pics.

Wow, I almost teared up a little upon seeing the pics of the Wilderness Lodge. It's my favorite deluxe resort. I loved coming back after a long day and seeing that lobby virtually empty and so quiet. Our room was right down the hall across from the Mercantile. Can't wait to go back!

And I can't wait for more of your TR! :sohappy:

Ahh WL my favorite resort. Loving the report thus far. I can't wait to go back there in Feb.....

Love the pics!! I'll be at WL in just 58 days...can't wait to see more :sohappy:

Whoa... lots of Wilderness Lodge lovers, here! Thanks, everyone. It was my first time at the villas and now I really really want to stay in the actual lodge!

great trip report so far!! absolutely love the pictures! i really want to stay at the akl and at the wl sometime. so i am very excited to hear all about how your trip was! can't wait to read more.

Thank you. They're both such great resorts, and it was fun to stay at them both on the same trip.

Ooh, I'm so glad you got your trip report started, Holly!

I'm totally loving it!! :sohappy: And I'm so glad that you didn't let Dale control the steering wheel. I'm sure Chip was much better at controlling the steering. :lol:

Very good point, Jenn! Oh how I love the chipmunks and their individual personalities!

Loving the report so far HollyBelle! Can't wait to read some more!

Thanks, disneygirl!

Great so far. I had to laugh at the long hallway picture because I have the same exact picture from when we were also in the room all the way at the end of the hallway. That was rough in the mornings when I was bringing coffee back from roaring fork.

Oh, wow. Talk about from one end of the resort to the other! I'm sure your coffee was either cold or gone by the time you made it back to the room :lol:.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
After freshening up a little bit we trekked back out to one of the cars, piled in and headed over to the Boardwalk area for lunch at the ESPN Club. The ESPN Club isn’t anywhere near my list of favorite restaurants, but it does boast a great location so I can’t complain.

To the Boardwalk (I love this sign):

P7110027.jpg

The ESPN Club:

P7110038.jpg

P7110039copy.jpg

So happy to be at Disney World:

P7110030.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
With full tummies we went back to the Villas, unpacked and got settled in. Kathy and Danny went to check out the pool while Derek, Brett and I got ready and made our way to Epcot to take in a few attractions before dinner. I must say, even with a maddening number of tour groups, crazy wait times, and melt-your-face-off heat, it’s still refreshing to enter the Epcot turnstiles and soak it all in.

Don’t ask me why, but we had been quoting the trolls of a certain high seas Norwegian adventure on our way over to the park so making our way to World Showcase was a must once we got there. Maelstrom had what we consider a long, but common wait time of 30 minutes so we got fastpasses and headed back towards the Mexico pavilion where we hopped on the former El Rio. Unfortunately for us, the people behind us were talking loudly about their dinner plans as we traveled along the edge of San Angel. Silly me… I figured they’d shut it once we made our way into the ruins or at least take it down a few decibels, but was I ever wrong. If anything, they got louder. Somehow the discussion evolved from after dinner drinks to smoking dope with some no name rock band on a cruise ship last spring and impressing said band with a killer homemade bong. Needless to say I formed my opinions of this guy before ever laying eyes on him. You know the type… stoner kid who likes to regale his buddies with exaggerated stories about spring break. When we got off the ride and I finally saw him, I was shocked to find that he wasn’t exactly a stoner kid…stoner middle-ager would be a more accurate moniker. The man was pushing 50. Scary and sad. But mostly scary!

When we left the temple, we just happened to catch Caballero Donald Duck as he was coming out. Lucky us… he was our first meet and greet of the trip and our only one on the first day. And for Brett and I this is important because every day has to have at least one character interaction! Thems the rules!

P7110047.jpg

Back in Norway we wandered around for awhile, waiting for our fastpass time to come up. I love all the trolls scattered throughout the pavilion’s architecture. It’s a nice bit of whimsy.

P7110054.jpg

P7110043.jpg

“I’ll cast a spell. YES, YES! You’ll disappear. DISAPPEAR! DISAPPEAR! Back, back… over de falls!”

P7110044.jpg

P7110060.jpg

P7110064.jpg

mouselvrmom

I'm glad to see Caballero Donald! We have a history with Fiesta Donald, as we call him! :lol: So, just how many characters are we going to see in this trip report? I would think with the number of days you were there you should have seen them all. :D

What a bunch of losers in Mexico! Too bad people like that have to ruin other's experiences!

Lovely pics of ws! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom