Mission Space original concept that never was artwork

loaloa

Original Poster
In its new article called "From Mission to Mars to Mission Space" Disney and more unveil great artwork of the Mission: Space that never was.

As you may know, huge cuts were done in the original concept of Mission: Space, and it's really a pity as the first concept was fantastic. The beginning was the same than the one that guests can ride at Epcot, but the centrifuge ride was suppose to sent Mission: Space visitors to a Space Station built on the Moon - or, according to Jim Hill in his excellent 2001 article, on a huge asteroid.

Always according to Jim "After they've arrived at the station, Epcot visitors will be free to disembark and discover the many wonders that are hidden deep inside that asteroid". And how, you ask? Well, that was the third genius part of the ride as Guests would have been able to move inside the Space Station thanks to a simulation of "MMU" - Manned Maneuvering Unit - the famous propulsion backpack which was used by NASA astronauts on three space shuttle missions in 1984 and which allowed the astronauts to perform untethered EVA spacewalks at a distance from the shuttle. Of course every "MMU" was supposed to follow a track, but the ride would have been great anyway.

You can see the beautiful renderings of these 2nd and 3rd part of the original ride concept at the link below, and frankly it's a shame that the "full concept" was never build as it would have been, as you will see, really great!

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2009/07/from-mission-to-mars-to-mission-space.html

-

Jasonflz

This is why I am not a big fan of the current M:S. It could be way better. Imagine a massive space station in front of an omnimax screen.

EPCOT Explorer

Ah....:( The REAL M:S. The one we have is quite amazing, but honestly....The original plans would been much more in tune with EPCOT and what Disney is REALLY capable of.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
For what it is worth and what could have been, I think that the exterior of M:S and most of the queue is very well done. Yes, we can all think about the "what could have been", and Im guilty of that too, I just wanted to give my peace about the current attraction.

Now, the post queue (exit) and post show, or a lack there of and gift shop leave something to be desired. Quite frankly, it sucks.

EPCOT Explorer

For what it is worth and what could have been, I think that the exterior of M:S and most of the queue is very well done. Yes, we can all think about the "what could have been", and Im guilty of that too, I just wanted to give my peace about the current attraction.

Now, the post queue (exit) and post show, or a lack there of and gift shop leave something to be desired. Quite frankly, it sucks.

Indeed and indeed. The facade is visually stunning. As is the queue.

So is the chicken exit....:lookaroun:lol:

vintageepcot

Horizons- Walk off and think wow those were sick diagrams of the future that was a pretty cool ride
Mission Space- Walk off your rest of your epcot day is runed do to motion sicknes or I waited that long on a line to go on a cheasy simulator or a classic I hope noone died in this seat
Pick your favorite

Rob562

Actually, what does the chicken exit look like? :lol: I've always wondered... :p

My friend was brought through the Chicken Exit. He came through the pre-show room with us, and was directed to stand in the blank center area between teams 5 and 6. When the hallway CMs came in, one of them took him around the circular hallway to the big double doors where the ride chamber passengers exit across the hallway. He then exited into the exit corridor with the group of riders that were just getting off before us.

I'd always assumed that the Chicken Exit was through the doors opposite the front end of the queue, between Ready Rooms 2 and 3. But I was told by someone on here that those doors lead to a CM-only area.

-Rob

EPCOTPluto

I suppose that concept art was also related to that Journey into Space idea as well.

Wonder how they'll pull the MMU simulation off should it have been built...

Would there be an actual life-sized asteroid for Guests to explore as well?? I am trying to imagine a huge, random, rocky area in FW...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This all gets a bit confusing, and so have a timeline:

1978 The Space Pavilion is proposed to sit where Seas is. The big, sphere with launch towers. The one with an Omnimover, interior Omnimax screen and rotating walls.

1989 Journeys in Space is proposed to sit between Land and Seas. The one with the rocket on the roof. The one with a centrifuge and walkthroughs.

1994 A retrofit is proposed for the Horizons building including the Omnimax screens and using part of the suspended ride system for an EVA ride (see pics above)

1999 Mission: Space is proposed to replace Horizons

EPCOTPluto

1978 The Space Pavilion is proposed to sit where Seas is. The big, sphere with launch towers. The one with an Omnimover, interior Omnimax screen and rotating walls.

1989 Journeys in Space is proposed to sit between Land and Seas. The one with the rocket on the roof. The one with a centrifuge and walkthroughs.

1994 A retrofit is proposed for the Horizons building including the Omnimax screens and using part of the suspended ride system for an EVA ride (see pics above)

Nice! Thanks for the clarification, Martin. :wave:

hpyhnt 1000

My friend was brought through the Chicken Exit. He came through the pre-show room with us, and was directed to stand in the blank center area between teams 5 and 6. When the hallway CMs came in, one of them took him around the circular hallway to the big double doors where the ride chamber passengers exit across the hallway. He then exited into the exit corridor with the group of riders that were just getting off before us.

I'd always assumed that the Chicken Exit was through the doors opposite the front end of the queue, between Ready Rooms 2 and 3. But I was told by someone on here that those doors lead to a CM-only area.

-Rob

Oh... well thats just disppointing... :( :lol: I'd always thought there was a chicken exit through the "Mission Control" doors as well.

EPCOT Explorer

You need to give me times for your other days at Disney, I'm gonna' drag you on Space and Test Track darn it!
:lol:
TT you will have no problem with. I want to ride. Bad.:dazzle::lol: The dang thing is down all the time, though!:fork:

MS: Attempting to go on this trip I'm attempting to go on.:lol::lookaroun
Actually, what does the chicken exit look like? :lol: I've always wondered... :p
Just a hallway, really...

Would have been so, so, nice...:eek::cry:

RoRo

I wish they would have gone with that concept instead of the Mission:SPACE now. I love that post-show and it's a shame money was the issue :(.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom