Food Rocks/Kitchen Kabaret Theater

Enchantâmes

Original Poster
I was just curious if Martin or anyone could answer this question or if Martin could draw a layout , but what ever happened to the Kitchen Kabaret Theater when Soarin was brought in..? I know what happened to the Queue, audio animatronics, and Broccoli & Co. but what happened to the Theater?

EPCOT Explorer

I was just curious if Martin or anyone could answer this question or if Martin could draw a layout , but what ever happened to the Kitchen Kabaret Theater when Soarin was brought in..? I know what happened to the Queue, audio animatronics, and Broccoli & Co. but what happened to the Theater?

Sadly, I beleive you walk through part of it, on the way to your hanger.:lol::eek:

I had heard though, that the curtains can be pulled back to reveal the stage or something. However, that might have been changed by now.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Martin will be able to elaborate a good bit more but the bulk of the attraction is still there hiding behind a wall. A number of the anamatronics found their way to ebay.

Enchantâmes

Original Poster
Sadly, I beleive you walk through part of it, on the way to your hanger.:lol::eek:

I had heard though, that the curtains can be pulled back to reveal the stage or something. However, that might have been changed by now.
Hmm, thank you. Now I want to hear what Martin has to say, he needs to make a Land Pavilion tribute video, I know he has done the individual attractions but the whole pavilion's story is untold.

EPCOT Explorer

Hmm, thank you. Now I want to hear what Martin has to say, he needs to make a Land Pavilion tribute video, I know he has done the individual attractions but the whole pavilion's story is untold.

Yes, so do I. Martin's knowledge on Disney is amazing.

And fully agreed on a Tribute. He hasn't done one in a bit...

EpcotServo

The very first room you enter is actually the old Theater. You know, the semi-large blue space you pass through for a second? Those cool white walls with the lighted gliders is directly in front of where the stage was. In fact, alot of the bulky props are still back there.

EPCOT Explorer

The very first room you enter is actually the old Theater. You know, the semi-large blue space you pass through for a second? Those cool white walls with the lighted gliders is directly in front of where the stage was. In fact, alot of the bulky props are still back there.

Right...The question, though...:D Can you pull the curtains aside, and see the old stuff?

EPCOTPluto

I always was under the impression that the zig-zag hallway was the theater.

And what curtains are you talking about, EE? :shrug:

EpcotServo

Right...The question, though...:D Can you pull the curtains aside, and see the old stuff?

They aren't curtains, they're large scenic flats. Also to get up to where the stage is, you have a good 10 to 15 feet leap down onto a hard concrete sloped pit full of lighting.

I remember seeing pictures on here of what's left, and it's pretty much just a fridge looking shape and nothing really amazing...

Enchantâmes

Original Poster
Hmm I was under the impression that the pathway went just though the Queue, because the area in front of the stage was alot further away from where the Soarin entrance is now. I would know, I saw Food Rocks religiously from 1994 until 2003. I could be wrong though. I would love to see though photos!

Rob562

There are no "curtains" per se, but I'm sure there's some kind of Cast Only door. I know there was a thread about this a while back (with diagram provided by Martin), but the upshot of it was that they walled in the stage area itself, and ripped everything else out.

If you look at the greeenhouse tour check-in desk to the left of the Soarin' entrance, that backs up against the stage. You can then visually follow the wall as it boxes in the former stage. As others have said, the queue entrance room is pretty much where the audience seating area of the theater was, and the FastPass/exit area for Soarin' is where the two pre-show rooms were.

-Rob

Enchantâmes

Original Poster
There are no "curtains" per se, but I'm sure there's some kind of Cast Only door. I know there was a thread about this a while back (with diagram provided by Martin), but the upshot of it was that they walled in the stage area itself, and ripped everything else out.

If you look at the greeenhouse tour check-in desk to the left of the Soarin' entrance, that backs up against the stage. You can then visually follow the wall as it boxes in the former stage. As others have said, the queue entrance room is pretty much where the audience seating area of the theater was, and the FastPass/exit area for Soarin' is where the two pre-show rooms were.

-Rob
I need to see this diagram because it doesn't match up with where the Escalator is in front if the fastpass was the queue... I'm confused.

Enchantâmes

Original Poster
I found the pictures!

DSC00132.jpg

DSC00131.jpg

DSC00130.jpg

DSC00129.jpg

Rob562

I need to see this diagram because it doesn't match up with where the Escalator is in front if the fastpass was the queue... I'm confused.

Found the thread, and it includes pics of what the stage looks like now.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=229181

I don't think that a diagram has ever been posted as to what the current area looks like, though. But you can see the blueprint of what the theater and queue USED to look like, and remember that everything was totally gutted and new separating walls installed, not necessarily at the same angles as the old walls.

-Rob

EpcotServo

Hmm I was under the impression that the pathway went just though the Queue, because the area in front of the stage was alot further away from where the Soarin entrance is now. I would know, I saw Food Rocks religiously from 1994 until 2003. I could be wrong though.

It's a little confusing, I know, but if you stop and pull a "Da Vinci" code, you can imagine where everything was and it all clicks into place. If you're looking to your left down that long hallway with the double doors at the end, that's where the Green Thumb shop was. The area with the desk and the entry "Gliders" is in an fuzzy area because it takes up not only where the exit doors were, but if you go into the blue room and look back, you can see where they've pushed that area into the old theatre. (This is the key, when you reach the part at the end of the blue room, stop and look back. Look familar? It's because this is the view you had when entering the Food Rocks theatre.)

AFTER Soarin' you pass by this part of the queue again, this is the part most demolished, the curved ramp that led down into the theatre. As you're exiting, you'll breach a green wall, THIS is where those glass doors were. You'll then see the Fastpasses to your right. Ahead of you, and to the left is where the big pre-show room was, and down the aisle of Fastpasses was where the "SmellBox" rooms were. The reason this space looks smaller is because they've curved the wall on the left side, and I beleive there are a few new rooms back there in the leftover space. You can prove all this, by remembering that there was a double door on the top right side when you were facing those glass doors. Those led directly outside. Fast forward to today, at the exit near the Fastpasses there's a set of tan double doors, push through those, and then you'll find a short hallway and another set of doors-These are building doors that have always been there, hence I coclude they are in fact those doors, if not proof you are in the same portion of building as Emergecy Exits tend to stay in the same areas.

They really did a number with it, but as always there are tell-tale signs of redesign.

If Martin or anyone else has a layout of the orginal area, I'd be happy to overlay where what is now.
:wave:

Enchantâmes

Original Poster
It's a little confusing, I know, but if you stop and pull a "Da Vinci" code, you can imagine where everything was and it all clicks into place. If you're looking to your left down that long hallway with the double doors at the end, that's where the Green Thumb shop was. The area with the desk and the entry "Gliders" is in an fuzzy area because it takes up not only where the exit doors were, but if you go into the blue room and look back, you can see where they've pushed that area into the old theatre. (This is the key, when you reach the part at the end of the blue room, stop and look back. Look familar? It's because this is the view you had when entering the Food Rocks theatre.)

AFTER Soarin' you pass by this part of the queue again, this is the part most demolished, the curved ramp that led down into the theatre. As you're exiting, you'll breach a green wall, THIS is where those glass doors were. You'll then see the Fastpasses to your right. Ahead of you, and to the left is where the big pre-show room was, and down the aisle of Fastpasses was where the "SmellBox" rooms were. The reason this space looks smaller is because they've curved the wall on the left side, and I beleive there are a few new rooms back there in the leftover space. You can prove all this, by remembering that there was a double door on the top right side when you were facing those glass doors. Those led directly outside. Fast forward to today, at the exit near the Fastpasses there's a set of tan double doors, push through those, and then you'll find a short hallway and another set of doors-These are building doors that have always been there, hence I coclude they are in fact those doors, if not proof you are in the same portion of building as Emergecy Exits tend to stay in the same areas.

They really did a number with it, but as always there are tell-tale signs of redesign.

If Martin or anyone else has a layout of the orginal area, I'd be happy to overlay where what is now.
Thank you, that cleared alot up for me. I wish Food Rocks was still there... :(

EPCOTPluto

It's a little confusing, I know, but if you stop and pull a "Da Vinci" code, you can imagine where everything was and it all clicks into place. If you're looking to your left down that long hallway with the double doors at the end, that's where the Green Thumb shop was. The area with the desk and the entry "Gliders" is in an fuzzy area because it takes up not only where the exit doors were, but if you go into the blue room and look back, you can see where they've pushed that area into the old theater. (This is the key, when you reach the part at the end of the blue room, stop and look back. Look familiar? It's because this is the view you had when entering the Food Rocks theater.)

AFTER Soarin' you pass by this part of the queue again, this is the part most demolished, the curved ramp that led down into the theater. As you're exiting, you'll breach a green wall, THIS is where those glass doors were. You'll then see the Fastpasses to your right. Ahead of you, and to the left is where the big pre-show room was, and down the aisle of Fastpasses was where the "SmellBox" rooms were. The reason this space looks smaller is because they've curved the wall on the left side, and I beleive there are a few new rooms back there in the leftover space. You can prove all this, by remembering that there was a double door on the top right side when you were facing those glass doors. Those led directly outside. Fast forward to today, at the exit near the Fastpasses there's a set of tan double doors, push through those, and then you'll find a short hallway and another set of doors-These are building doors that have always been there, hence I conclude they are in fact those doors, if not proof you are in the same portion of building as Emergency Exits tend to stay in the same areas.

If Martin or anyone else has a layout of the original area, I'd be happy to overlay where what is now.
:dazzle: I had no idea so much work was done just for the queue. Great comparison! :wave:

EPCOT Explorer

They aren't curtains, they're large scenic flats. Also to get up to where the stage is, you have a good 10 to 15 feet leap down onto a hard concrete sloped pit full of lighting.

I remember seeing pictures on here of what's left, and it's pretty much just a fridge looking shape and nothing really amazing...

-Rob
Ahhh...I get it now. Very interesting!:wave:

Might have to hunt this down, next trip...:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom