What's the benefit of advance check in?

elizs77

Okay, so I can check in 10 days prior to my trip. But other than just the excitement of it all, what's the real benefit to doing this?

When it comes to room assignment day, do they give those who've checked in better rooms? Is it just seemingly faster when you actually get there? Or is it all just hype?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It will save you time checking in. Depending on the number of guests in front of you that could mean 5 minutes or half an hour.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
Okay, so I can check in 10 days prior to my trip. But other than just the excitement of it all, what's the real benefit to doing this?

When it comes to room assignment day, do they give those who've checked in better rooms? Is it just seemingly faster when you actually get there? Or is it all just hype?

Simple - time. The vast majority do not use online check-in yet so you'll basically be by yourself.. vs worrying about coming in behind a bus load of people that can take 30-45 mins to process.

Upvote 0

elizs77

Original Poster
But don't you still have to stand in line at some point to get your stuff? Or is there a separate queue?

We've never experienced a crazy line at WL or Poly. We're at the Contemporary this time, and we're arriving by DME pretty early in the morning!

I'm sure I'll do it regardless, but I just wondered if there was an extra hidden benefit.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

If memory serves (and that can be an iffy proposition at times!), here is what happens at normal check in - and I am sure someone can clarify anything I miss:

- they retrieve your reservation on the computer
- if a room isn't assigned already, they assign you a room
- they grab one of those large folders with maps etc in it
- they show you on a map of the resort where your room is
- they ask you if you have a car and if you need a parking pass
- they ask you if you want to leave a credit card on file for charging, and who in your party should have charging privileges, and limits, etc
- they confirm all names in the party and then generate Key to the World cards - this CAN be time consuming
- they answer any questions you have

From what I understand of Express Check In:

- you stand in a separate queue
- they confirm your ID
- they give you a packet with your info and your Key to the World cards
- they point you to where your room is
- they answer questions
- you're done

-Joe

Upvote 0

heartodisney

If memory serves (and that can be an iffy proposition at times!), here is what happens at normal check in - and I am sure someone can clarify anything I miss:

- they ask you if you want to leave a credit card on file for charging, and who in your party should have charging privileges, and limits, etc
- they confirm all names in the party and then generate Key to the World cards - this CAN be time consuming

- they confirm your ID
- they answer questions
- you're done

-Joe
Yes...this is EXACTLY what happened the last time we checked in...my wife and I looked at each other after the ten minute wait...and still they had computer problems...or it would have taken less time! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

ewensell3

Is it just seemingly faster when you actually get there? Or is it all just hype?
But don't you still have to stand in line at some point to get your stuff? Or is there a separate queue?

I used online check-in for the first time last March at Port Orleans. They have a separate queue.

We arrived around 9pm and there were 10 people in the normal queue with four CMs already busy behind the desk. There was only one person ahead of me at the online check-in desk.

When I entered the queue another CM came out. Gave them my CC and ID, they did a couple checks, handed me my (pre-assembled) packet & keys, pointed out where our room was on the map, and sent us on our way. I was done before the next person in the normal line reached the counter.

In my opinion, the online check-in is for the seasoned Disney resort veteran. I have been to Disney resorts before and had a good idea of how things work. Very few questions and no desire for "tips" from a CM. After driving 10 hours all I want is the keys to my room so I can "decompress". Online check-in provided that.

Edit - And if I change my mind and want to get some CM tips, I can always visit the concierge desk the next day when I'm in better spirits...

Upvote 0

elizs77

Original Poster
In my opinion, the online check-in is for the seasoned Disney resort veteran. I have been to Disney resorts before and had a good idea of how things work. Very few questions and no desire for "tips" from a CM. After driving 10 hours all I want is the keys to my room so I can "decompress". Online check-in provided that.

Gotch ya. That makes sense. I don't need those tips, either, and I don't have any questions. Give me my keys and let me go! :)

Upvote 0

JillC LI

Parking pass?

- they confirm your ID
- they answer questions
- you're done

-Joe

If they don't ask you about a parking pass during Advance Checkin, does that mean you can't use it if you are renting a car?
Jill

Upvote 0

ryguy

What about room requests? I like having the ability to talk with a cast member about my room if for some reason they put in a section I don't want to be. (And that happens at least 50% of the time) I would think that online check-in would be more rigid. Hopefully I am wrong, but for now I will check-in the old fashion way. Unless of course they tell me what building I am in, but I doubt they would.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Room requests should be made well before check in and be noted on your reservation.

If you do the express check in and you get your request, great, only a few minutes spent in line.

If you do the express check in and you don't get your request, jump in the regular check in line and ask and see if your room can be moved.

50/50 is great odds, I would personally still do the express check in with those odds!

Upvote 0

timeman

I used online check in back in April when I stayed at POP. I had called and requested a building in the 80s and when I got there they had me in a room in the 50s. The CM who handed me my packet noticed this as she was telling me where the room was and got on the phone and found me a room in the 80s with no problem.

Concerning the parking pass the CM asked me if I had needed a parking pass when she was handing me my package and I was given one since I do drive to Disney.

Upvote 0

DawnBerg

Is there a way to make room requests online? We are hoping to be near the pool in the 50's building at POP or at least in that area. I have not requested this as of yet and we check in on Aug 16. Do I have to call in adance of the 10 day online checkin or can I just request it then?

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Is there a way to make room requests online? We are hoping to be near the pool in the 50's building at POP or at least in that area. I have not requested this as of yet and we check in on Aug 16. Do I have to call in adance of the 10 day online checkin or can I just request it then?
You need to call and put the request on your reservation ASAP. Online check in is not the time that you want to make requests. They should be done the same time you make your reservations.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom