Monorail Accident Explained

RoRo

Original Poster
Sorry if this has been posted already.

http://screamscape.com/html/walt_disney_world_resort.htm

From Screamscape:

(7/7/09) Despite the reports from guests who were nearby when it happened, it seems that WDW Monorail accident happened completely backwards from how it was first envisioned. It was really Monorail Pink that was moving backwards into the station at maximum reverse power, which collided into Monorail Purple which is now thought to have been stationary at the time. So yes... the death of the pilot was actually caused by Monorail Pink, but it wasn’t entirely that pilot’s fault either.
From the breakdown of several stories that have flooded by inbox in the last 12 hours or so, the blame all comes down from a major miscommunication between Central Monorail Control and the Monorail Shop while they were directing Monorail Pink through the procedure to take the switch beam from the Epcot line over to the Magic Kingdom expressway beam, before heading back to the shop for the night. The way it was explained to me is basic form is that Monorail Pink pulled forward out of the station, as if it were going to Epcot, and came to the stop somewhere just past the switch track. Here is where the communication problem comes up, as the Shop apparently controls the switch tracks and communicated something to the Central control booth (at the TTC) that the switch track has been moved. Central instructed Pink that they were clear to reverse onto the switch track, which instead struck right into Purple inside the station. However I’ve heard that no one from the platform crew was in the booth where one of them should have been during this kind of procedure, where they could visually check on things and could have called off Monorail Pink before it was too late.
The normal system that prevents accidents from happening (MAPO) was in an “overide” mode at the time, which is standard procedure any
time monorails are switched from one beam to another. At this point in time the pilot of Monorail Pink was pretty much going on the word of the control tower that everything was normal. Even though they have rearview mirrors, the darkness in this area of the track combined with the curve of the beam itself were a big factor. In fact if you look at the aerial photo I’ve “borrowed” here to display the area of the accident, you can see that way the switch beam curves here alongside the main beam, it would be very difficult for the pilot to tell from “feel” that they had not switched to the right beam.
With the explanation that it was all a bad series of human errors that caused the accident, Disney was given permission to reopen the system late yesterday afternoon along with an updated procedure list of extra verifications required when moving monorails from one beam to another. Disney has also elected, for the time being, to suspend the practice of allowing park guests to ride up front with the pilots. Not so much for a safety reason, but out of respect for the pilots during this difficult time, so they aren’t swamped with non-stop questions about it from the guests.

DisneyJunkie

Interesting to know, and also good for anyone who heard that the pilot who died was 21 and may have been quick to assign blame on his age and inexperience. It appears to be a number of mistakes made that contributed to this tragedy. Hopefully something like this won't occur again in the future.

GrumpyFan

Interesting....

...But did Disney really release this or is someone at screamscape just theorizing?

Nothing "official" about the accident details has been released by Disney, and probably won't be for quite some time. To do so at this point might look like an admission of fault or blame which could open them up to litigation by the family. In fact, I would be surprised if Disney releases anything official about the details of the crash ever. The individual investigation teams will probably release their findings, but don't expect to see them anytime soon, these things take months to sort out.

As for the authenticity of Screamscape, they're a lot like this site, as they rely on rumors and inside information from people who claim to be "in the know". Usually, they won't post anything unless they've gotten confirmation from more than one source, if they don't have confirmation, they will mark it as a "wild rumor". I've found them to be as reliable as this site is.

fireworkz

Just about everyone seems to be saying what happened is similar to Screamscape's story. While Disney hasn't released a statement on the cause yet, I believe it was mentioned in the other threads when the statement about the monorails returning to operational status was released it mentioned new procedures and new monitoring of the track switches was put in place. So while they haven't officially said it was because of a mistake in the track switching procedures it looks like they confirmed it by mentioning changes in how they watch the switches.

fosse76

Nothing "official" about the accident details has been released by Disney, and probably won't be for quite some time. To do so at this point might look like an admission of fault or blame which could open them up to litigation by the family. In fact, I would be surprised if Disney releases anything official about the details of the crash ever. The individual investigation teams will probably release their findings, but don't expect to see them anytime soon, these things take months to sort out.

The second that Monorail pink crashed into monorail purple, Disney was opened up to litigation. Disney doesn't ever have to release a report...OSHA is a public agency and is subject to the Freedom of Information Act. The family could use that report to establish liability.

As for the authenticity of Screamscape, they're a lot like this site, as they rely on rumors and inside information from people who claim to be "in the know". Usually, they won't post anything unless they've gotten confirmation from more than one source, if they don't have confirmation, they will mark it as a "wild rumor". I've found them to be as reliable as this site is.
I agree. People here knock that site about al the time, but whenever Lance posts something, he makes clear whether or not it is just a wild rumor or if its from a reputable source.

EPCOTPluto

Fascinating explanation. I had the funniest feeling it was human error.
If, (from what I understand), the monorail was designed with the override system in case of emergency, this could've been prevented.

prberk

My pics of accident from the Contemporary

I was staying at the Contemporary on Saturday/Sunday, and heard the news when I woke up on Sunday morning, ironically from my mother in Virginia, who had seen it on the news in Virginia about 8 a.m. and had called to ask about it. I had actually taken the monorail back to the resort about 1:30 a.m. from the M.K., and was up at 2 a.m. but going to bed... but I did not hear the crash or commotion.

At any rate, on Sunday morning I went to the 12th floor and took these pics using my zoom. Now, I can tell that the monorail sticking out was, in fact, involved in the crash.

I also think that these pics are helpful in showing the switches and spurs that everyone is talking about. So, here are the pics.... (including a sad "sign of the times" from that morning in the lobby....).

Paul

Attachments

• 09 356 monorail close-up.jpg
    09 356 monorail close-up.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 611
  • 09 357 mono distant.jpg
    09 357 mono distant.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 618
  • 09 352.jpg
    09 352.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 374

fireworkz

Fascinating explanation. I had the funniest feeling it was human error.
If, (from what I understand), the monorail was designed with the override system in case of emergency, this could've been prevented.

Unfortunately, that was sort of the problem... the monorails do have a detection system that can take control of the trains and make it stop if another gets too close, but when the trains are being switched on tracks this system is overridden which allowed Pink to hit Purple.

Detection systems and overrides can't be the end all to be all, there have to be allowances to stop the computer from taking over the train like when switching tracks or if the driver has to make a small adjustment like when the train overshot the station platform by a bit. That's the problem with computers, sometimes they are 'too perfect' and can't make judgment calls when something outside the norm happens.

Uncle Lupe

This is a sad situation but it seems that a lot of things have to go wrong at once for this to happen. Just a radar sensor in the nose or tail and connected to an E-Break on the monorail could have prevented this. They can put them in newer luxury cars to help with cruise control so why not retrofit the monorails with a similar system for safety?

GrumpyFan

I would guess that one of the things that both OSHA and NTSB will cite in their reports, is lack of other safety when MAPO is over-ridden. It's understandable why MAPO needs to be over-ridden, but when it is, procedures should be in place and followed STRICTLY to prevent such accidents. I'm sure that was stessed to all monorail CMs before they re-opened to allow public access.

NewfieFan

"Disney has also elected, for the time being, to suspend the practice of allowing park guests to ride up front with the pilots. Not so much for a safety reason, but out of respect for the pilots during this difficult time, so they aren’t swamped with non-stop questions about it from the guests."

This is a good point and very understandable... I never even thought about it from that point of view until reading this!

Does anybody know if the trains are capable of being operated from either control cabin? If so, why wouldn't they have a driver on both sides when doing these operations? Or if not, they could still have somebody in the back cabin to communicate with the driver instead of reversing blindly.

DisJosh

Wow I hadnlt realized someone lost their life due to this! I had only heard from a fellow disneyphile at work their had been an accident but immediately thought "fender bender." This really is a sad situation considering it might have been prevented. :(

As far as having an alert system like a car...I'm not so sure that would have been much help as they generally activate when things are in close proximity. It sounds like the monorail was already travelling at quite a speed. And when not in over-ride mode the normal system does just that all be it in a more advanced way than a car.

Whatever the case this is sad and shocking. I don't doubt the for a second though that a disney operated monorail is the safest one could operate or travel in. Unfortunately accidents happen.

On a side note...I love screamscape! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom