All EPCOT Center, All the Time- Part II

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
EpcotIcon.jpg

2222326000030669846EEWnRd_fs.jpg

Welcome to the second installment of the EPCOT thread! :wave:

To begin with, what's one thing that you would like to see added to or corrected in EPCOT?

Mine- SSE, but you knew that. ;)

Have fun!

dxwwf3

Hopefully we'll get some good news in this thread. Hopefully work on SSE will be complete by the time this thread dies.

SirGoofy

JII needs to be fixed. It was once one of Disney's greatest achievements when it comes to dark rides. Now? It's an embarrassment.

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
Hopefully we'll get some good news in this thread. Hopefully work on SSE will be complete by the time this thread dies.
That's the intent and hope.:D
JII needs to be fixed. It was once one of Disney's greatest achievements when it comes to dark rides. Now? It's an embarrassment.
Agreed. Hopefully the descent money goes there and for the aesthetics on the time being.

CaptainMichael

I second this. Imagination should always be mentioned in the same sentences as PotC, HM, SSE, etc. It needs to be one of WDW's iconic attractions, and Figment needs to be the face of EPCOT. I'm hoping to hear about the refurb in October.

Fun2BFree

Disney are simply sticking with their policy of appealing to the lowest common denominator. Out with inspiring and hauntingly beautiful narration, in with the foul stench of Dench's dunce spiel. Lose the city of the future, add a tacky flash video.

It's happened everywhere in EPCOT -- less edutainment and more mind-rottingly twee characters in all the wrong places.

EDIT: Hehe, thought you said SSE instead of JII. Interestingly enough, much the same has happened there anyway.

SirGoofy

I second this. Imagination should always be mentioned in the same sentences as PotC, HM, SSE, etc. It needs to be one of WDW's iconic attractions, and Figment needs to be the face of EPCOT. I'm hoping to hear about the refurb in October.

The fact is, he IS the face of Epcot. He's on all the merch. It's sad that he doesn't have an attraction that lives up to that.

As for JII, I place it right behind Haunted Mansion and Disneyland's PotC as Disney's best dark rides.

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster

Agreed. It was one of the classics that EPCOT was never allowed to keep.:(

CaptainMichael

I still do not understand the thought process behind tearing out half of a perfectly good attraction. Whatever was there should have been plussed and technology upgraded...nothing more.

Animaniac93-98

So it's finally here is it? Well then...

- Fix JII. The whole thing needs help, new much better version of ride, new Imageworks, new 3-D movie etc.

- I think M:S is boring. You do it once, your good. I've done it 3 times so I'm good for at least another 10 years.

- TT needs new sponsor and should re-done as fabulous WoM/TT combo with elaborate AA displays, updated queue and pre-show video, high speed ending and futuristic post-show!

- We need more World Showcase attractions like the ones never built for Italy and Germany. Upgrading Maelstrom would be nice too.

- New Illuminations please, how about Illuminations: 40th...:lookaroun

and...

FINISH SEE!!!

Now I'm going to MK...

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
I still do not understand the thought process behind tearing out half of a perfectly good attraction. Whatever was there should have been plussed and technology upgraded...nothing more.
That's the horrible thing about it. It's what they should do with most attractions...

- Fix JII. The whole thing needs help, new much better version of ride, new Imageworks, new 3-D movie etc.

- I think M:S is boring. You do it once, your good. I've done it 3 times so I'm good for at least another 10 years.

- TT needs new sponsor and should re-done as fabulous WoM/TT combo with elaborate AA displays, updated queue and pre-show video, high speed ending and futuristic post-show!

- We need more World Showcase attractions like the ones never built for Italy and Germany. Upgrading Maelstrom would be nice too.

and...

FINISH SEE!!!

Now I'm going to MK...

EXACTLY how TT should be. Nice begining with AA's and the story and then BAM! High Speed finale into the future.

Maelstrom plans have been around for a while!

stitch2008

and...

FINISH SEE!!!

Now I'm going to MK...

1. I'm all for a new Imagination ride. Didn't someone say in the other Epcot thread that there was some kind of plan to focus on other pavilions in Future World? I just seem to remember that. Maybe I'm wrong:shrug:

2. I like M:S the way it is. A new film may be nice.

3. Maybe they could add some of the effects that are going to be used in the World of Color show at DCA. That could make RoE or any new show cool.

SirNim

Imagine a TT changed into more of a WOM-type attraction. I have to think if a new overlay were added, the track layout itself would not change, except for the "rough road surfaces" which could easily be smoothed over. So, if we want to add historical Audio-Animatronic tableaux into the first part of the attraction, leaving the automotive proving ground theming intact in the final high speed barrier/loop test, what would we do?

Perhaps the opening "hill climb" could be a sort of "time machine" effect going into the past, lasers and strobes everywhere, kind of like Dinosaur at AK.

The rough road tests could be your vehicle traveling on the ancient Appian Way in Rome circa 247 BC. And heck, you could keep the rough road surface to simulate the cobblestone! Of course, Roman soldiers and statesmen could be added as AA figures here, along with a pompous brass fanfare.

Next, the brake tests could be changed to represent a runaway horse-drawn chariot or American buggy... special holographic effects could add an animated horse to the front of the vehicle, accelerating as if spooked.

Then, the "extreme" hot, cold, and chemical chambers could be changed into an old 1800s-style railroad roundhouse, where you can watch AA railroad technicians servicing the mighty iron horse locomotive as it prepares for a transcontinental trip. "Howdy pardner," they might drawl, before delivering a spiel about how the train has revolutionized transportation.

Then, the mountain test. This could remain relatively intact, as a representation of the modern era where personal cars are the norm. Retheme the mountain to the rugged hills outside Sedona, like Arizona State Route 89A which has a bunch of hairpin turns through Oak Creek Canyon, and which is an absolute delight to drive through.

Then, take us into the future, and more specifically the future automotive testing facilities, circa AD 2055, and proceed with the faux barrier test and the loops, emphasizing, perhaps, in this final segment green technologies.

And there you go. An infinitely better "Test Track" a la World of Motion!

imagineer boy

I get dibbs on first evil Judi Dench photoshop! http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/8272/darthdenchcopy.jpg :sohappy:

and...

FINISH SEE!!!

Agreed 100%. Don't forget UOE needs updating. Not as much as the others, but it needs it none the less.

Imagine a TT changed into more of a WOM-type attraction. I have to think if a new overlay were added, the track layout itself would not change, except for the "rough road surfaces" which could easily be smoothed over. So, if we want to add historical Audio-Animatronic tableaux into the first part of the attraction, leaving the automotive proving ground theming intact in the final high speed barrier/loop test, what would we do?

Perhaps the opening "hill climb" could be a sort of "time machine" effect going into the past, lasers and strobes everywhere, kind of like Dinosaur at AK.

The rough road tests could be your vehicle traveling on the ancient Appian Way in Rome circa 247 BC. And heck, you could keep the rough road surface to simulate the cobblestone! Of course, Roman soldiers and statesmen could be added as AA figures here, along with a pompous brass fanfare.

Next, the brake tests could be changed to represent a runaway horse-drawn chariot or American buggy... special holographic effects could add an animated horse to the front of the vehicle, accelerating as if spooked.

Then, the "extreme" hot, cold, and chemical chambers could be changed into an old 1800s-style railroad roundhouse, where you can watch AA railroad technicians servicing the mighty iron horse locomotive as it prepares for a transcontinental trip. "Howdy pardner," they might drawl, before delivering a spiel about how the train has revolutionized transportation.

Then, the mountain test. This could remain relatively intact, as a representation of the modern era where personal cars are the norm. Retheme the mountain to the rugged hills outside Sedona, like Arizona State Route 89A which has a bunch of hairpin turns through Oak Creek Canyon, and which is an absolute delight to drive through.

Then, take us into the future, and more specifically the future automotive testing facilities, circa AD 2055, and proceed with the faux barrier test and the loops, emphasizing, perhaps, in this final segment green technologies.

And there you go. An infinitely better "Test Track" a la World of Motion!

Hm, I'd prefer to keep the current ride as it is but somehow attatch a WOM stretch at the beginning. I believe there is tons of space left in the building so its possible. Or perhaps there could be two rides at the pavillion, one being TT and the other being a WOM dark ride.

Thrill Seeker

Test Track is fine the way it is. Should a new sponsor have to come (I hope somehow GM will stay the sponsor), all they need to do is change a few things in the queue, remove all references to GM and change the showroom at the end. That's it. The ride itself is fine the way it is. It's suppose to simulate what a real Test Track is like. I enjoyed WoM back in the day, but Test Track is better and should not be touched unless it is absolutely necessary.

Imagination should definitely go under the knife sooner than later. The pavilion in it's current form is very pathetic and not worth going to. There's a good reason why JIIwF never has a line...

I also caught HISTA yesterday and the film itself looks very dated, plus the new pre-show sucks (now I know why everyone misses True Colors). It should go and be replaced by something completely different. Plus, another interesting continuity issue is the fact that Dr. Channing looks so much younger on HISTA than he does on JIIwF, mostly because HISTA opened way back in the early 90s.

A realistic hope for the pavilion is for Disney to close down either JII or HISTA and perhaps re-open the upstairs area as a new attraction, or maybe a preview center of sorts for what the new Imagination pavilion would be like (Epcot's Blue Sky Celler). Personally, I'd like to see the whole pavilion shut down and then have all of the new attractions open up at the same time, rather than having to wait for one to finish before closing the other. More than likely if a 4th version of JII is made, it will use the same track as the current one, which does suck, but that's a realistic look.

I'd also like to see some improvements made to The Land now that Nestle is out. I'd like to see a replacement film for Circle of Life (maybe a shortened Disney Earth?) and to see Living With The Land get some changes as well. Soarin' will stay open obviously, but I still do want to see a different film than the one California has...

I personally am not that big of a fan of Mission Space (I watched a video of Horizons yesterday that almost made me cry) but unfortunately it's not going anywhere. Disney spent way too much money building and marketing it to tear it down just because of fairly low attendence. When I was there it has a 40 minute wait for Orange Team, which is a bit longer than it usually has.

I know I'm going to get some flack for this, but I think Ellen's Energy Adventure needs to go. It's really outdated and should be replaced by something new. I'd also like to see something besides the dinosaurs that have been there forever, especially since the ones in Dinosaur are so much more advanced. Maybe new scenes showing off the different ways energy is collected?

As for World Showcase, I'd like to see new pavilions as much as the next guy, but if they haven't happened yet, more than likely they aren't happening any time soon. I do think that there should be more rides and less circle vision films in the World Showcase though...

As for SSE, from what I've seen of the decent since the last time I was on it back in 2008, it has improved a ton and appears to be nearing completion. There was only one section that appeared not to be done, so I figure that shouldn't take too much longer to complete.

Oh, and I still want a Weather Pavilion to replace WoL and feature Stormrider... :animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom