NEW! Epcot News and Rumors... GIGANTAMUNDO updates, finally!

General Grizz

Original Poster
epcotupdate.jpg

grizz3.jpg

epcotupdates2.jpg

CORRECTION! September 13, 2004. But I'm too lazy to go back and change that. :D

THAT’S RIGHT MY FRIENDS, STEP RIGHT UP, GET YOUR LATEST ON THE SPOT IN THIS GIGANTA-MUNDO STATE OF THE UNION EPCOT ADDRESS AND RESOURCE PAGE – EXCLUSIVE TO YOU, THE WALT DISNEY WORLD MAGIC MEMBER (OR NON-MEMBER PROWLER)!

I’ll be touring you around the latest, the most up-to-date, the most ambitious update ever known to Grizzkind. (And I’m only doing this to make up for my last trip report, which you may know wasn’t that good). Ahem, anyway.

Let’s start out in
FUTURE WORLD CENTRAL

SPACESHIP EARTH___________________

SE.jpg

In the past, we’ve heard gigantic new rumors about the future of this pavilion. In a nutshell, we first found out about a Spaceship Earth rehab a year ago February from a WESH News Page, reporting that the pavilion would be replaced with a “theater-style” ride. Over the summer, there was more and more speculation over what would replace Spaceship Earth. We later found out that Disney was thinking about using brand new screen technology (although we are not quite sure how. Cave technology? Spider-Man-esque?) in designing a new Spaceship Earth. (Time Racers was the designed post show) The plans called for the ride vehicles to exit the sphere at one point.

Needless to say, this idea was put off and later cancelled in August of 2003. But this summer, plans came back to change Epcot’s icon once Future World’s “Project Gemini” project was declared dead. (Thank goodness! :lookaroun) Since then, I have heard some reports calling for a ride similar to the original 2003 ideas (described above), but credible evidence now indicates that. . .

(DRUM ROLL, PLEASE!)

The rehab may be more than likely similar to the 1994/5 rehab, which could entail only changing the final portion of the ride. If this is the case, this is WONDERFUL news, with the potential assurance that the classic attraction (the most popular attraction at Walt Disney World) may continue to contain the Disney style and message.

This is worthy news of celebration, but we are not out of the woods yet! Although this plan looks for a Fall 2006 closure of Spaceship Earth (in order to open it for Epcot’s 25th Anniversary), there is still time for Disney to change its mind. This is why you need to stay tuned to the D-Army. . . and there will be more information on that shortly.

INNOVENTIONS___________________

Sadly, I have no more information on the Future World Gardens rehab plans, which I brought to the Internet last April. If you have ANY information regarding the potential demolition of Innoventions to bring in a new atmosphere, please PM me or post it here. (In order to see the information on Future World Gardens, see the RESOURCES link at the very end of this post).

The plastics exhibit is amazing - - be sure to spend some time in there next time you’re in Future World Central. Don’t miss the “ELECIC UMBRELLA!” (See: August update in Resources section).

FUTURE WORLD EAST

UNIVERSE of ENERGY___________________

Although the ExxonMobil signs are STILL UP around the pavilion, Universe of Energy remains sponsorless. (Hess has recently taken ExxonMobil’s spot as the gas station of Walt Disney World, although it has sadly decided against sponsoring the Universe of Energy and Ellen’s Energy Adventure).

WONDERS OF LIFE___________________

wondersoflife.jpg

Oh boy. Where can I start?

As we all know, Wonders of Life was last open to the public in May (during Epcot’s test of opening attractions after dark for resort guests). Since then, the pavilion has remained CLOSED to the public, HOWEVER. . .

THE PAVILION IS STILL RUNNING – at least most of it. That’s right. AREA MUSIC, LIGHTS, SIGHTS, and SOUNDS are running inside the Wonders of Life (although major attractions are not) – and there is photographical evidence in my first August Epcot update (see: Resources). But why??

Let’s break it down for the record:

• THE PLANTS in Wonders of Life need sunlight.
  • CAST MEMBERS have conventions in the pavilion, including meeting areas, skits, and social activities. (Couldn’t this be done in the Odyssey, World Showplace, or Upstairs Image Works, all originally opened to the public anyway?!)
  • CONVENTIONS

OBVIOUSLY Disney has the guests in mind. But what’s this you asked? Wonders of Life never was a guest hit? I beg to differ. Cranium Command is an all-time favorite of most Epcot fans, and take a look at numerous online boards to see the outrage of the Wonders of Life’s closure. (To think, it’s open to everyone BUT the guests!) In fact, Cranium Command had roughly 20% of Epcot’s visitors (according to statistics I recently found), and the Wonders of Life itself had on average 11,000 visitors per day. (Compare this to the average 8,000 over at Imagination and 15,000 at Test Track and Mission Space). A lot, isn’t it?

Yet, Disney is keeping Wonders of Life closed to guests in order to keep it on “Seasonal Status,” which in turn pays a few million dollars to Disney.

What does this mean?

THERE IS A CHANCE Wonders of Life may open in THANKSGIVING and CHRISTMAS BREAK to fill its seasonal quota, then close for good – with no sign for refurbishment. This is absolutely horrible and a slap in the face to fans and Epcot guests.

Also, expect The Making of Me to (PERHAPS) run on only select days (if at all) during these potential openings. There is also a chance Wonders of Life may be open while the Land is closed for rehab.

There are NUMEROUS resources for Wonders of Life, including a CALL TO ARMS and a great TRIBUTE VIDEO. . . these are linked in the RESOURCES page.

FUTURE WORLD WEST

IMAGINATION!___________________

A new Figment Meet and Greet is potentially in the works at the currently closed Kodak Camera Center. There will apparently be a Figment costume character, although Disney guests and Cast Members here have shown their desire that the DREAMFINDER be brought back (to offer an experience to guests, versus a way for Disney to make money off a quick shot with a big ole Figment).

The ride remains full of echoes and skunk smellitzer . . .

THE LAND___________________

BIGSTORY1.jpg

OOOOOOH Boy. First let’s get to the basics: The Land is closing on JANUARY 2, 2005 (a day before the first full year of Food Rocks’s closure – and a day before the 11th year that Kitchen Kabaret closed).

During the rehab, which will extend through Spring Break,

• POTENTIAL RAMPS, A NEW ELEVATOR, STAIRCASES, and ESCALATORS will be installed to ease guest flow to the bottom level
  • THE SUNSHINE SEASON FOOD FAIR will be demolished and replaced by a brand new, smaller restaurant, which will more than likely have seating in the center of the pavilion.
  • LIVING WITH THE LAND will have its queue changed with potential ride changes. (No, the greenhouses aren’t going anywhere)
  • THE BALLONS AND FOUNTAIN are going away. :cry: :cry: :cry:
  • CALIFORNIA TIME. . . gift shops, fastpass, you know it. The Costume is pretty much similar to that of DCA’s Soarin, by the way.
  • ENTIRE RETHEMING of the pavilion. I have no clue what this will entail just let. Holler if you know anything.

That’s basically the jest, just, joist, and jist of the Land. Any D-Army action will rely on what the new theming will be.

But, if the new theming seems to be BAD. . . well, it looks like people have already started expressing themselves!

ffafcopy.jpg

PROJECT WATCH: Special attention needs to be taken care on the right side of the Land Pavilion. Now that THE CANADA RAFT RIDE HAS BEEN RED-FlAGGED, there is now the potential for a roller coaster to spring up again. This idea was cancelled way back when the “funds” went to Canada, and I have NO indication that a coaster is being planned again, but this area is a prime chunk of Land that Disney is eyeing. We’ll keep you posted.

There’s not much else I can tell you about The Living Seas (I’ve posted that information way to many times here, use SEARCH “Living Seas”) and World Showcase, Mission Space, and Test Track are. . . World Showcase, Mission Space, and Test Track. ;)

I hope you enjoyed the updates. Feel free to discuss.

Now here are them links!

RESOURCES!

PREVIOUS UPDATES: AUGUST, APRIL
>>>> THRILLS! CHILLS! MAJOR August update. Marks (temporarily) at Disney.

>>>> AUGUST UPDATE #2 "NOT AS GOOD": "ELECIC" UMBRELLA, PLASTICS, AND MORE UPDATES

>>>> APRIL UPDATE: Spaceship Earth, Food Rocks, Future World Gardens, Canada Raft Ride (Yes! I beat Jim Hill! :p)

CALLS TO ARMS!

>>>> SAVE THE EARTH!! Why Soarin's System is flawed. Major call to arms.

>>>> THE GRIZZ WILL ROAR: Summary of his angry, angry state. . .

>>>> WONDERS OF LIFE CALL TO ARMS! Read all about it.

Tribute Video!

DOWNLOAD the Wonders of Life TRIBUTE VIDEO! Link in this thread.

general.jpg

MKCP 1985

Thanks for the updates, General Grizz. What do you mean that Disney banks millions by classifying sponsorless Wonders of Life as seasonal, and will fill a quota by opening the attractions again for Thanksgiving and Christmas when they were closed during the busy summer season?

Let me know what I can sign to show support for the fountain. I guess there is no place to put the balloons? I'm thinking the lobby of the Swan or Dolphin, but the general managers may have other ideas!

jcraycraft

Would love to see Wonders of Life again.... we were there this past 4th July time frame and was just sure it would be open then…but NOOOOO. Going to be there again this Thanksgiving, hope it does open but not counting on it. :cry:

As always thanks for the great update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

sniggle74

Thanks for the update, Grizz. I only wish there were a way to save the land! I guess I'll be arming my camera in 10 days to get those well deserved photos.

You were saying they are chaning the "routing" for "Listen to the Land". Am I under the impression that the attraction, too, will be undergoing a change?

Testtrack321

I'd like to see your figures on WoL Grizz. Just wondering you know.

Also, great update, I think Patrick has a run for his money. Good also to see that only the end of SSE will be updated.

General Grizz

Original Poster
Testtrack321 said:
I'd like to see your figures on WoL Grizz. Just wondering you know.

Also, great update, I think Patrick has a run for his money. Good also to see that only the end of SSE will be updated.
WoL figures: roughly 11,000 people per day; 8,000 at Body Wars, about 5,000 at Cranium Command

Mission Space and Test Track get about 15,000 people per day. Again, rough estimates. Living with the Land also has about 15,000. Spaceship Earth has about 18,000. Imagination stands at about 8,000.

P.S. Patrick's updates ROCK! :D I can't imagine finding so many new things going so many times.

Sniggle - the Land ride may change, but it won't be significant.
MKCP - that's all I can say, I am not completely sure of specifics, but it is valid from what I am being told.

TTATraveler

Great update!!! It sounds like the Land is going to be crowded with Soaring comming in. I can see that smaller food court being jammed packed. Any news on the Circle of Life Show?

It is a shame that they don't open Wonders of Life up, sounds like all they need to do is add some CMs to the attraction. Everything else seems to be already running.

speck76

MKCP 1985 said:
I'm thinking the lobby of the Swan or Dolphin, but the general managers may have other ideas!

The Swan and Dolphin are owned by Tishman and operated by Starwood. The hotels were designed in great detail by Michael Graves.....the balloons are not going there.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
A fantastic update once again, General! :D

Glad to hear that only the ending may be changing on SSE---hopefully this stays true and Disney doesn't change the plans. I'm also glad to hear about WoL possibly opening once again....I need to see The Making of Me! :lol:

Expo_Seeker40

Oh Oh Oh! Wooo thanks for the updates Grizz, heck we're gonna need like the Grizzly Gazette or something...

It seems like you win something loose something....at Epcot

Are there any plans to rename the park EPCOT Center or Epcot Center for and after the 25th anniversary? Will the wand and stars come down with this SSE rehab? A new entrance and replacement of leave-a-legacy? The return of a brand new Earth Station and SSE sponsor?

Ohh I hope SSE gets the TLC it deserves in so many ways. The current ending is deplorable and outdated from the crazy 90s. :cry: :sohappy:

DCL

First of all, that was a great update! I was on the edge of my seat the whole way through!

It will be sad to see the fountain and the balloons gone from the Land, since that was always one of my favorite things about the pavillion growing up. But I'm looking forward to Soarin', and I'm sure whatever they do will look pretty cool.

However, it is hard to imagine the Land with extra escalators and elevators. It seems like the building itself wouldn't be big enough to hold all the extra traffic that Soarin will be bringing in. Atleast thats how I see it. :veryconfu

Thanks for the update, Grizz. Hearing that the fountain and balloons are going to disappear from the Land makes me want to cry...it's always so special to eat lunch at one of the little umbrella tables, watch the fountain, and snap pictures of the balloons way up above me. That's one of my favorite Epcot traditions, and it's now going the way of my favorite Epcot attractions (aka WoL and JII). :cry:

On the plus side, the news about SSE is wonderful. Thank goodness no drastic changes on that front!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom