Disneyland's Summer Nightastic!! Starts June 12, 2009

sponono88

Original Poster
Disneyland's Summer Nightastic!! Starts June 12, 2009 (NOW With Pictures)!

I was looking forward to seeing the new dragon, but now i'm even more excited about seeing Dumbo fly! :D

The announcement also confirms new HD projectors for Fantasmic, the brand-new dragon, and the Flotsam & Jetsam eels.

Click here to read about the other announcements like the new Electrical Parade floats, new fireworks show, and enhancements to Pixie Hollow:

http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/115439-disneylands-summer-nightastic-announced-new-fireworks-fantasmic-enhancements.html

EPCOT Explorer

Sounds very nice. I'm sad that this means I'll never get to see RDCT, but Magical sounds interesting.

Looking forward to an opening night vid!:D

Disneyson 1

I really do love these additions that are made so often. Although the photoshop on the dragon is horrible, I know it'll be better in real life. And is anyone else intrigued by the Pixie Hollow Enhancement? Sounds like they're doing a musical fountain/sparkly walkway makeover - kinda like EPCOT...!

nemofinder22

Great stuff. Im interested to see how Dumbo will be incorperated in to the fireworks, nice to see the tech being able to do more than just Tink, I think when the new line came in there were always rumors of something else being able to fly.

Also a 40ft AA dragon sounds increadable! now if we can get POD to return for the summer will be fully set!

Nicole220

Some new pictures are now available thanks to Disneygeek.com.

some highlights of the pictorial -

New Flotsam and Jetsam, pictures here.

Dragon, construction pictures here.

New crocodile (peter pan scene), pictures here.

Flying Dumbo (fireworks), pictures here.

Pixie Hollow, nighttime enhancements here and here.

New Tinkerbell float for DEP, and new LED lighting for rest of parade, pictures here.

:sohappy:
OH! :sohappy: Thank you!!

Flotsam and Jetsam look a lot different from what I pictured, but in a good way.

Still don't know what I think about Dumbo.

Everything else in there looks amazing!!

TP2000

WOW! Those new additions look much better than I thought they would! Especially Flotsam and Jetsam! And those are ugly pictures taken before the products are even finished, much less under theatrical lighting and show conditions. They are going to look great.

I'm still scratching my head about Dumbo flying over the Castle during the new fireworks show. But Disneyland very rarely messes that kind of stuff up, so I will just trust it works out for them.

Some of my favorite family Disneyland memories are dancing at Tomorrowland Terrace with my Mom and my aunts and uncles and cousins on one of those beautifully warm summer nights in Southern California, just laughing and dancing and goofing off. I'm sure the Coca-Cola Dance Party will provide those types of memories for a new generation.

I can't wait for summer now!

sponono88

Original Poster
I agree, flotsam and jetsam are such great additions to the show. from the pictures, it looks like they'll fit right in. definitely a lot different than we all had anticipated they'd look like.

i honestly can't wait to see dumbo in the fireworks show. it'll be a refreshing change from seeing Tink all the time. I might be wrong, but I think this is the first time someone besides Tink has flown over a Disney castle. I think something like this was planned for Wishes in MK (Genie/Blue Fairy were going to fly as well) :confused: i think it'll be great.

and I don't think Dumbo will be a projection. I'm guessing it'll be a costumed character like Tink or possibly an AA? :shrug:

^^^June 12 (From the Press Release)

The HD projections on Fantasmic were installed during the last refurb and the beginning of the year.

Hm, I thought only the film had been changed during the last refurb? I thought I had read that the new HD projectors had not been installed - instead they had just switched to a different, and improved, film reel. anybody know more about this?

yensidtlaw1969

I might be wrong, but I think this is the first time someone besides Tink has flown over a Disney castle.

Not too sure about that, I remember hearing stories about Disneyland promoting Mary Poppins with her flying over the castle way back when, but they quickly pulled it for one reason or another.

It should be interesting to see, certainly. I wonder if Tink will retain her "Remember . . ." flight profile where she goes up and down and all around instead of just zipping to the bottom. Certainly that was expensive and WOW was it effective! It would be such a shame to see it go now that they've introduced the idea.

ScrapIron

Waaaaaaaaaay back, they had that guy doing jet pack demos out of Tomorrowland, but don't know if he went over the castle; not much flight time on those things.

A bientot.

TP2000

Hm, I thought only the film had been changed during the last refurb? I thought I had read that the new HD projectors had not been installed - instead they had just switched to a different, and improved, film reel. anybody know more about this?

No, they replaced the original 70MM film projectors with new digital projectors back in '08. You could tell because when the show came up from its '08 rehab on November 7th, 2008 they had a few glitches where the image would stall and then reset. It couldn't have done that with the old film projectors, and a film projector couldn't catch up and reset itself.

The new digital projectors dramatically improved the clarity and sharpness of the mist screen images. There were details and scenes that no one knew really existed from the blurrier film of the last 15 years. What they haven't done yet is entirely edit and clean up the original film images, and that's what is coming this summer. Thus far they've just used far more advanced projectors to display the original film clarity. Just like editing and cleaning up an old film for its DVD release, they will debut that process this summer using the new projectors they installed last year. This is also the same technology they are using for the World of Color show, so it's a preview of that if you will.

Here's a YouTube video of Fantasmic! after it returned from its last rehab showing the digital projector glitches that first night. It also has the newly redone Finale' with the upgraded lighting and revamped pyrotechnics. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0vUsMzOnrY

TP2000

I just found this video from the media event this week where Steve Davison acts out the finale' for the new Magical fireworks spectacular.

For those unfamiliar with Davison, he is famous for doing these wild interpretations of the fireworks shows he designs. And this Magical show sounds fun! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61ZOrS-hyaI

EPCOT Explorer

I just found this video from the media event this week where Steve Davison acts out the finale' for the new Magical fireworks spectacular.

For those unfamiliar with Davison, he is famous for doing these wild interpretations of the fireworks shows he designs. And this Magical show sounds fun! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61ZOrS-hyaI
That sounds awesome.:D

And they are using EPCOT Music in a DL Firewrok show. NICE.:lol::sohappy::sohappy:

Chrononymous

Wow! All these new additions look incredible. I was planning on a trip to Florida...but now I don't know...I think I may have to rethink the plan and head to California!

Thanks for the links! I am so excited about this! Disneyland's Fantasmic is one of my all time favorite things!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom