Debunking the myth that wheelchairs jump the queues/ guide for wheelchairs and queues

barnum42

The myth that wheelchair users can jump to the front of all lines and take their friends with them seems to still be alive so I thought I’d list my experiences of travelling with a wheelchair user.

My mother has arthritis and a back problem that limits the time she can spend on her feet. So now she uses a wheelchair from which she can transfer to ride vehicles.

We have only travelled off-season so I can not say with any certainty how things may be different at busy times.

MAGIC KINGDOM

Alien Encounter – soon to be Stitch. Same queue. In the pre-show you take the front row. In the main theatre there are a few positions where there is a gap to park the wheelchair under one of the restraints.

Timekeeper – It was not open, but other Circle Vision shows have no special queue and you need to find a gap where standing people will not obscure your view.

Buzz Lightyear – Same queue but at the load bay you have to go along a corridor to the exit area and wait for a CM to board you. This takes longer than no wheelchair.

Carousel of Progress. Same queue, wheelchair spots at front of theatre.

Tomorrowland Transit Authority. Same queue that must be done standing up.

Small World, Peter Pan, Snow White, Winnie the Pooh – Same queue for all rides.

Philarmagic – Same queue wheelchair spots at the back.

Hall of Presidents. Same waiting area. If memory serves the wheelchair spots are at the front.

Liberty Square Riverboat – Separate boarding ramp that takes you to the exit level. Never seen a queue for this, so no real advantage here.

The Haunted Mansion. You wait by the hearse for a CM. If you can stand through the stretch rooms they will gather several groups together and take them in through a back entrance. Otherwise you wheel to the exit area and board there. Possibly a slight time saving on busy days, but off-season it can take longer.

Splash Mountain. Same outdoors queue, until the point you get to the stairs when you are directed to the exit area. You have to battle against people leaving the ride heading to the photo shop. This short cut will save a few minutes, but nothing drastic as most of the queue can be outside.

Thunder Mountain & I think Space Mountain has separate entrances so these are probably queue jumpers.

Country Bears – Same queue. Wheelchair spots at the front.

Swiss Family Treehouse. Never going to happen!

Tiki Rooms. Same queues, can’t recall where the specific wheelchair spots were, but it’s a small theatre.

Jungle Cruise. There is a separate queue, but you can only board the specific boat for wheelchair users. This can leave you with a big wait. Said boat has never been full on my trips and tops up with riders from the regular queue. Depending on how busy the day and how lucky you are with your timing you can save time here. Or it may take longer.

Prates. Wait in the same queue. You have to fold your wheelchair and stick it in the back row. At the end they have a lift (elevator) so you don’t have to try your luck with the moving gangplank.

Parades – three locations for wheelchair users and up to three party members.

Castle Show – Not a hope, even at almost six foot I can’t see through some kid’s head when it’s plonked on it’s parent’s shoulder. Never mind how a wheelchair user can get on.

Fireworks – No luck here. People pack in and unless you get a spot on one of the bridges in advance wheelchair users are at a disadvantage. I found a spot in the town square with a grass spot in front so at least people would not stand in front. It limited the view of the castle but at least Mother was not looking at people’s backs again.

EPCOT:

Spaceship Earth – Separate queue area by the exit ramp. When several wheelchair parties have gathered a CM will fetch everyone and load them at the exit area. Off Peak this takes longer than just walking straight on.

Universe of Energy – Same wait area. Wheelchair spots at the back of the vehicle.

Mission Space – Same Queue.

Living Seas – Same Queue

Living with the Land – Separate queue so this one can be a queue jumper. But only the one wheelchair per boat.

Circle of Life – Wheelchair spots at the back.

Imagination – Same queue.

American Adventure – You are taken straight upstairs in a small lift / elevator and watch the acapella group from up there. Which is a shame because you feel a little separated from everyone else. Wheelchair spots are at the back.

China and Canada circle vision – no wheelchair spots you just need to pick an area where nobody is standing in the rows around you.

Illuminations – Three viewing locations for wheelchair users. I squish up on the floor in front of the chair and watch through the railings.

DISNEY-MGM STUDIOS

Muppet Vision 3D – Same queue, wheelchair spots at the back

Indiana Jones – Same queue, wheelchair spots at the back

Sounds Dangereous – Queue? What queue? If it had one it’s in the same place. Wheelchair spots at the back.

Animation Tour. Same Queue with a strong risk you get to the front and the limited wheelchair spaces are full, in which case you have to wait for the next show. This one, even off peak can take longer. Wheelchair spots at the back of the Mushu and draw it yourself sections.

One Man’s Dream – Wheelchair spots at the back.

Little Mermaid – Same queue wheelchair spots at the back.

Great Movie Ride – When you hit the cinema area you bypass the switchback queue and go to the front, so you may save a bit of time, but I doubt we ever did. I know Mother had to get out of her wheelchair once and I think on another she stayed in the wheelchair.

Beauty and the Beast. Same queue, Wheelchair spots at the back, plus a few at the front.

Fantasmic. Same queue, Wheelchair spots at the back. When these fill up – and they do there is an elevated standing area for the rest and their parties.

ANIMAL KINGDOM

Festival of the Lion King – Same queue, we have turned up when regular seating was available but the wheelchair spots were taken. Wheelchair spots are the end of the rows at ground level.

Pochahontas – Only went the once and I think the wheelchair spots were at the back and front.

Tough to Be a bug. Same queue area, wheelchair spots in the back. Worth transferring out of the chair for this one.

Safari. Same queue, but when you get to the regular loading bay you go straight on to the wheelchair bay where they have extra space to store the wheelchairs for those who transfer. They have two or three special vehicles for wheelchairs, so the wait here can be longer than the regular queue. For those who can not transfer from their wheelchair the vehicles can take a single wheelchair and have it secured in place.

Train to Rafiki’s Same queue, there is a separate holding bay for wheelchairs who are loaded firsts where you back into the end of each carriage.

Affection Section – they have some well-worn chairs into which you transfer to save your own from being nibbled by goats.

Flights of Wonder. Same queue (well, not so much a queue as a throng) though CMs will guide wheelchairs through the crowds. Seating is at the font and the back.

Kali Rapids – Mother did not ride this, but I once saw that they have a static dock so people who need a little longer to load can still ride.

Tarzan Rocks – Same queue, most wheelchair spots are at the back, but there are a few to the right in front of the rollerblade tack and the front, also at the right.

Dinosaur – Same queue, except when you get to the stairs there is a lift / elevator.

The various trails – whilst bumps and with slopes they can easily be navigated on a wheelchair.

The Parade - there are three spots for wheelchair users and up to three of their guests

tigger248

Great job on your list!

I'm am so glad that you cleared this up. My brother has spina bifida and I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say they're gonna get a wheelchair so they can get on rides faster when they see us.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

barnum42 said:
The myth that wheelchair users can jump to the front of all lines and take their friends with them seems to still be alive so I thought I’d list my experiences of travelling with a wheelchair user....

A big :kiss: to you. Thanks for taking the time to spell it all out. Hopefully this will put an end to all the arguments.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Thank you, Barnum. :kiss: I know that my mother & I would have been on the safari at AK sooner if she had not been in a wheelchair.

Upvote 0

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Thank you very much...my father in law uses a wheel chair because he gets fatigued very easily due to some long time illnesses. If he doesn't use it, he'd never be able to put in even a half day at a park without sleeping the rest of the day.

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

Great job, Barnum. (and a lot of thought and typing went into that post!!) :wave: Nobody in my family needs a wheelchair (as of right now, anyway) and those who use them have never bothered me. Now the people who about them, that's a different story... :fork:

Upvote 0

Kadee

Thank You, Barnum!! My 6'2", very healthy looking husband has had 3 knee surgeries and finds it very difficult to spend 7-10 days walking around the parks, so by the 4th or 5th day, he is usually in a wheelchair. You can just imagine the looks we get, even with the huge brace on his knee. The comments are even worse....."He's faking"....etc.

Upvote 0

barnum42

Original Poster
Kadee said:
The comments are even worse....."He's faking"....etc.
That's when you discover the footrests are just the right height for cracking into the ankles of such abusive people :drevil: Mmwaaa haa haaa

Upvote 0

TheDisneyGirl02

Thank for writing that all out. It upsets me because like some of the cases people have responded with, my mom needs a wheelchair due to an illness. If it weren't for wheelchairs, my mom wouldn't be able to go to WDW and enjoy herself. Does she like being in a wheelchair and not walking, no...but at the same time at least she can enjoy the park with her family.

TheDisneyGirl02

Upvote 0

barnum42

Original Poster
TheDisneyGirl02 said:
Thank for writing that all out. It upsets me because like some of the cases people have responded with, my mom needs a wheelchair due to an illness. If it weren't for wheelchairs, my mom wouldn't be able to go to WDW and enjoy herself. Does she like being in a wheelchair and not walking, no...but at the same time at least she can enjoy the park with her family.

TheDisneyGirl02
Plus the healing effect of a Disney Visit can not be measured. Last year Mother was on a real downer with her health, but she came back totally rejuvinated. It did her more good than any drugs, treatments or TENS machine has.

Upvote 0

FatBoy976

Whether or not getting a wheelchair will get you on rides isn't even the issue. It's just sad that there are people who would get a wheelchair just to try it. Maybe I just forgot that there are some people who are way more important than everyone else in this world. It's a shame we even have to have this topic.

Upvote 0

inorski

It really angers me when people get mad at wheelchair users and other people with disabilities because they may get some special assistance or attention. I personally am thankful that I am currently able bodied and able to wait in line to ride any ride I want to ride without any hassles. I don't see it as an advantage for the disabled, I see it as a minor accommodation so that they can enjoy as much of the Disney magic as possible. Is it really that much to ask to let them go ahead of you in a line or sit in front of you at a parade when you stop and think about all of the other hassles they have to deal with on a daily basis?! How selfish can some people be anyway? And if someone wants to "fake it" to take advantage, well, then you should feel sorry for them for being such a miserable person in the first place. If you get mad about it you are only ruining your own vacation because they don't care. I wish everyone could just be happy for the health that they have be understanding of those who have challenges.

Upvote 0

TheDisneyGirl02

When I was talking to my mom about the wheelchair threads, she said to me, "what about all of the strollers with the 10 and 12 year olds in them."

My family always looks for the biggest kid in the stroller and they are the winner for the day! Kinda off thread, but hey, it made me laugh!

TheDisneyGirl02

Upvote 0

diverdown2000

Again I think that argument is not the person using the wheel chair and if they realy need it or not...It is the fact that people use them THINKING they can get in lines faster...

I am not against the the handicap and the use of the wheel chair...I just don't think that 10 people are needed to assist that person...

That is My honest opinion people and until you understand what the original thread was about you might understand....So...continue to point out how you hate how people do this and that or say this and that and I will continue to stress that it is about those who abuse that person in the chair thinking that 10 people need to assist them and heck maybe they can get on the ride faster.

As far as strollers...They don't have a special line. They have to sit in the same queue so that is not a valid point...It is valid that some people push kids that don't need a stroller, but they are not moved to a special loading area along with 10 family members and friends..

IT IS THE FACT THAT IT TAKES 2 POSSIBLY 3 TO ASSIST THAT PERSON ON A RIDE......

Where in the thread did anyone say WHEELCHAIR users should not have a special queue area...There is nothing wrong with that...

Upvote 0

barnum42

Original Poster
diverdown2000 said:
Again I think that argument is not the person using the wheel chair and if they realy need it or not...It is the fact that people use them THINKING they can get in lines faster...

I am not against the the handicap and the use of the wheel chair...I just don't think that 10 people are needed to assist that person...

That is My honest opinion people and until you understand what the original thread was about you might understand....So...continue to point out how you hate how people do this and that or say this and that and I will continue to stress that it is about those who abuse that person in the chair thinking that 10 people need to assist them and heck maybe they can get on the ride faster.

As far as strollers...They don't have a special line. They have to sit in the same queue so that is not a valid point...It is valid that some people push kids that don't need a stroller, but they are not moved to a special loading area along with 10 family members and friends..

IT IS THE FACT THAT IT TAKES 2 POSSIBLY 3 TO ASSIST THAT PERSON ON A RIDE......

Where in the thread did anyone say WHEELCHAIR users should not have a special queue area...There is nothing wrong with that...
The point I am trying to get across is that in most instances there is no advantage to traveling in a wheelchair when it comes to queue times, and the fact for some attractions it takes longer if you are in a wheelchair party or you are even turned away because the wheelchair spots are full.

People traveling with a wheelchair user are not all there to assist. They are there as a family unit or a group of friends. In the few instances where wheelchair boarding is different than for able bodied guests it is great that Disney will allow the whole family to ride together. To not allow this would be like only allowing one family member to ride with a toddler on Winnie the Pooh because it only takes one person to change that toddlers diaper/nappy.

The original thread concerned the worry that fakers got to jump the line. Well, if people are stupid and cruel enough to think that faking the need for a wheelchair will save them time - it won't. They may THINK they will get to the front of the queue quickly, but in the vast majority of cases it's just not going to happen.

Strollers have to be left in certain areas for specific attractions - the Safari being one of them. The same is true for wheelchairs, except that area is next to the loading bay. Ten people may be traveling with the wheelchair party on the safari and I think it's great they all get to enjoy it together.

Upvote 0

diverdown2000

I can truly understand your point and Agree on the fact it does not get anyone there any faster...

But we are gonna agree that we disagree on how many it takes to accompany a person...

So enough of my rant and ravings on this subject...Back to more important things on the site...

It was a good discussion in my book with no real arguments....:)

Upvote 0

stitchlvr

We were at WDW in June, and my daughter was in a wheelchair for a good portion of the trip, under doctors orders (she broke her foot 3.5 weeks before we left and although they removed the cast before we left, so she could swim etc, he wanted her to stay off of her foot as much as possible, so that it could continue to heal). So here was an otherwise very healthy, very fit, 13 year old, with no obvious reason to be in a wheelchair. We expected there to be comments, shooting darts of hatred, sneers etc, but surprisingly, we never once heard anything negative by any other guest. We had even prepared her for the idea that she might get flack for it.

We found that at several rides, a cast member came out to meet us before we even got in the regular line, and they gave us instructions or explained how things would be handled, if there was anything different than the regular queue. It made things so much easier to deal with, because sometimes we'd get in a line, have no idea how far we could go with the chair, if there were stairs etc.

Upvote 0

barnum42

Original Poster
diverdown2000 said:
But we are gonna agree that we disagree on how many it takes to accompany a person...

...It was a good discussion in my book with no real arguments....:)
There is no limit on how many people can accompany any person in the parks. It can take from one upwards regardless of whether they are on foot or in a wheelchair. It's just a party of people no different than any other large group. Apart from certain issues with stairs ;)

No arguments from me about this being a good discussion, nothing personal and no name calling going on. Just a good old fashiond chin wag :wave:

Upvote 0

Shellybelle

Barnum, thank you for this post. My 8 yr. old son uses a wheelchair. He has a brain tumor and as a result is unable to use his right side. It has also affected his speech and overall mental capability. We began going to WDW when he was given a wish from the Dream Factory and because of the great results we saw with him (showing happy emotions, something he hadn't done in close to a year at the time) we became a "disney family" going at least once a year since. Our family has also been given "the looks" and it is hard sometimes to shrug it off and keep enjoying the disney experience. Like someone else posted, Disney is a great way to immerse yourself in the magic and forget about the day to day hassles. And believe me, no one deserves it more than him. As far as the number in our party, speaking as someone who lives with the situation, I personally see it as we are a family being together and agree that it would not be right to split us up. When we go we are usually our family of 4 and sometimes with my son's teachers aide and her husband. Our family enjoys seeing his experience as much as we do the "ride" experience. It isn't something that we are doing to get "the system" but I would think any family would want to stay together. Again, just my two cents.

Upvote 0
Thanks for clearing that up, Barnum. I never realized that wheelchair users use a lot of the same lines that stand-ups do. They have no more of an advantage than we do. They might even have a disadvantage in some cases.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom