Dinosaur quietly losing sponsorship? (No surprise really)

hardcard

Original Poster
I was at AK today and noticed that all of the signage for dinosaur, including the 'pillars' at the main institute entrance, the attraction signage, and the 'posters' have all had the McDonalds logo and sponsorship removed completely.. Additionally, the ride speil did not say "Made possible by a generous grant from the McDonalds Corporation"..

I know McD's is being pulled from the parks food wise, but I didn;t think we had any confirmation of the 'end' of this sponsorship... interesting indeed...

I have a few pictures of the new 'posters' outside the ride exit where it used to have a variety of dinos on posters with mcdonalds logos, etc on them.... no they are new posters without the added sponsorship stuff.. so, it does indeed look like the deal is over...

Just tossing it out there..

TP2000

McDonalds, (their french fry stands, standalone restaurants, and all sponsorship signage and logos) disappeared from Disneyland over a year ago now. It's surprising it has taken as long as it has to do the same thing for WDW.

But now that McDonalds is going away inside the WDW parks also, it's kind of not a surprise. It's just odd that there were two different timetables for the California parks versus the Florida parks.

But good riddance to them. I enjoy an Egg McMuffin every once in awhile, don't get me wrong. But the McDonalds brand was just not a good fit for Disneyland and other Disney parks. Disney needs to keep their parks as the Tiffany & Co. of theme parks, not the WalMart of theme parks. McDonalds wasn't helping with the Tiffany scene. :cool:

BigB911

But good riddance to them. I enjoy an Egg McMuffin every once in awhile, don't get me wrong. But the McDonalds brand was just not a good fit for Disneyland and other Disney parks. Disney needs to keep their parks as the Tiffany & Co. of theme parks, not the WalMart of theme parks. McDonalds wasn't helping with the Tiffany scene. :cool:

Ya know, I get by OK...my wife and I live pretty comfortably and my DD has everything a little girl could want and/or need. We live in a modest home, and right now we can afford a trip (hopefully annually) to WDW. But I could never even afford to step foot in a Tiffany's, let alone purchase anything there. So what are you saying? That middle-class America should not be able to afford a vacation to WDW? Not that I'm in support one way or the other of the Golden Arches in the parks, but that sure is what it sounds like you're saying.

TP2000

So what are you saying? That middle-class America should not be able to afford a vacation to WDW? Not that I'm in support one way or the other of the Golden Arches in the parks, but that sure is what it sounds like you're saying.

No, I'm not saying that a three-day park hopper should cost as much as a diamond tennis bracelet from Tiffany's.

I'm saying that Disney should be seen as the premiere theme park experience. McDonalds is not a premiere experience and in my opinion is not in the same league as Disney.

It's like CBS considering itself "the Tiffany network". In the 20th century, CBS tried to position itself as a cut above NBC and ABC, and they earned the nickname "Tiffany network" for their upscale reputation.

Disney should be the Tiffany's of theme parks. Pure and simple. :animwink:

By the way, Tiffany & Co. is not as expensive as you may think. Every Christmas I go to the lavish Tiffany store at South Coast Plaza (a big mall about 20 minutes south of Disneyland). I always buy my Mom a charm for her Tiffany charm bracelet. The sterling silver charms run about 150 dollars, they come in the classic Tiffany blue box, and Mom always loves 'em. You don't have to drop 100 Grand there if you don't want to. But the experience, the service and the products are always top drawer.

Disneyland and other Disney theme parks should be the same. Top drawer! :ROFLOL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezpi...C7B6063EA&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=8

Ya know, I get by OK...my wife and I live pretty comfortably and my DD has everything a little girl could want and/or need. We live in a modest home, and right now we can afford a trip (hopefully annually) to WDW. But I could never even afford to step foot in a Tiffany's, let alone purchase anything there. So what are you saying? That middle-class America should not be able to afford a vacation to WDW? Not that I'm in support one way or the other of the Golden Arches in the parks, but that sure is what it sounds like you're saying.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

I think what TP2000 was trying to say was that Disney shouldn't need McDonalds to help attract guests.

Other parks here in Southern California have tried it, Knott's Berry Farm has a Panda Express and a TGI Friday's, Six Flags Magic Mountain has 3 Johnny Rocket's locations in their park, etc. and that has failed to bring in a huge number of guests.

Disney should be at a higher standard than those other parks.

TP2000

Other parks here in Southern California have tried it, Knott's Berry Farm has a Panda Express and a TGI Friday's, Six Flags Magic Mountain has 3 Johnny Rocket's locations in their park, etc. and that has failed to bring in a huge number of guests.

Six Flags Magic Mountain also has a Panda Express. It's located in the Mexican themed section of the park called Baja Ridge. The Panda Express there is located in an old snack bar facility vaguely themed to Adobe architecture, with cactus everywhere and Southwest Indian pottery placed in the planters, with Mariachi music playing over the PA system. And they serve Panda Express Chinese food there. :hammer:

I can critique Disney theme parks with the best of 'em. But all it takes is one visit to Six Flags Magic Mountain to remember how truly awful and sleazy other regional theme parks are, and how classy and finely tuned Disneyland and Disney theme parks are in comparison.

davidpw97

No, I'm not saying that a three-day park hopper should cost as much as a diamond tennis bracelet from Tiffany's.

I'm saying that Disney should be seen as the premiere theme park experience. McDonalds is not a premiere experience and in my opinion is not in the same league as Disney.

Disney should be the Tiffany's of theme parks. Pure and simple. :animwink:

By the way, Tiffany & Co. is not as expensive as you may think. Every Christmas I go to the lavish Tiffany store at South Coast Plaza (a big mall about 20 minutes south of Disneyland). I always buy my Mom a charm for her Tiffany charm bracelet. The sterling silver charms run about 150 dollars, they come in the classic Tiffany blue box, and Mom always loves 'em. You don't have to drop 100 Grand there if you don't want to. But the experience, the service and the products are always top drawer.

While I agree that going to McDonald's is not a premiere experience. Is getting a burger and fries from McDonald's really that different from getting a burger and fries from Cosmic Rays, Electric Umbrella, or any other quick service burger joint on property? Atleast with McDonald's in the park there was some brand recognition.

I think with all theme parks, there are going to be some areas that are more Mcdonald's quality and some areas that are more Tiffany's quality.

muteki

I live pretty comfortably and live in a modest home, and I have stepped foot in several Tiffany's. Didn't buy anything of course :)p) but it was pretty. And they also had dishes with roosters painted on them :lookaroun

Is getting a burger and fries from McDonald's really that different from getting a burger and fries from Cosmic Rays...

YES! YES! YES!

SirGoofy

While I agree that going to McDonald's is not a premiere experience. Is getting a burger and fries from McDonald's really that different from getting a burger and fries from Cosmic Rays, Electric Umbrella, or any other quick service burger joint on property?

Yea...McDonald's is better. And that's saying a lot about Disney's food quality.:lol:

devoy1701

great example of people insisting on blowing things out of context...:rolleyes:

I too think McDonald's was not appropriate for the Disney Parks. I'm just wondering if we're going to see a slowly degrading Dinosaur attraction without a sponsor...

SirGoofy

I too think McDonald's was not appropriate for the Disney Parks. I'm just wondering if we're going to see a slowly degrading Dinosaur attraction without a sponsor...

Ummm...we saw that WITH a sponsor. Have you ridden it anytime after it's first few months of operation? Half the efffects in the ride are no longer operational.

PhilharMagician

The whole McDonalds leaving has been in the making for over a year now. Ever since McDonalds & Disney had the blow-up over exclusive rights for Happy Meal toys the relationship has been spiraling downward.

bgraham34

The whole McDonalds leaving has been in the making for over a year now. Ever since McDonalds & Disney had the blow-up over exclusive rights for Happy Meal toys the relationship has been spiraling downward.

You can't really blame either company for the issue. I can understand both sides of the problems they had. It's just a shame you can't get Mcdonalds fires in the parks anymore.

mcjaco

Six Flags Magic Mountain also has a Panda Express. It's located in the Mexican themed section of the park called Baja Ridge. The Panda Express there is located in an old snack bar facility vaguely themed to Adobe architecture, with cactus everywhere and Southwest Indian pottery placed in the planters, with Mariachi music playing over the PA system. And they serve Panda Express Chinese food there. :hammer:

I can critique Disney theme parks with the best of 'em. But all it takes is one visit to Six Flags Magic Mountain to remember how truly awful and sleazy other regional theme parks are, and how classy and finely tuned Disneyland and Disney theme parks are in comparison.

Although I'll agree that Panda Express' location is moronic, especially with Ninja, and Tatsu in the park, let's not go calling SFMM sleazy. Or any of their other "regional" parks.

They're simply a different experience. I don't think you'll ever catch Six Flags management saying they should be in the same ballpark as Disney or Universal.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Ehhh. Couldn't care less either way. I wonder what the chances of a 5 guys sponsorship is? Now those are some seriously good burgers and fries.:slurp::lol:

gustaftp

It's like CBS considering itself "the Tiffany network". In the 20th century, CBS tried to position itself as a cut above NBC and ABC, and they earned the nickname "Tiffany network" for their upscale reputation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezpi...C7B6063EA&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=8
Of course, they besmirched their reputation when Dan Rather's team fabricated news and then had the gall to report it, lie about it, and cover it up.

They had gone downhill for a long time prior to that actually, when their blatant bias turned people away in droves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom