A Jolly Holiday 3/23 - 3/30

This is my first attempt at a trip report and I really enjoy reading all of yours so I hope you enjoy mine :)

It’s been almost 6 years since my last trip to Disney World in October 2003 and I am so excited to be going from March 23rd – 30th 2009. We originally planned this trip for December 2008 but I was laid off in October and we had to cancel. I was incredibly sad, especially because all of these bad things happened to me during the holiday season. But, I stayed optimistic and didn’t let any of this real life drama affect my Christmas. My Mom was so proud of how we all handled ourselves at Christmas that she offered to pay for a trip during the buy 4 get 3 free promotion. My boyfriend and I are so grateful to her for this. We didn’t realize how much we needed a vacation. I haven’t been on vacation since 2005 and he hasn’t been since his last trip to WDW in 2003 (I didn’t know him then, it’s just a coincidence we were there the same year!).

A few months ago, I ordered a gift basket (www.memoriesbybetsy.com) to be placed in my mother’s room upon check in at the Contemporary. I can’t wait to see her face! I got the idea in this thread: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=397907

Picture of the basket:

MomsBasket.jpg

Since I haven’t been to WDW since 2003, there are a TON of new things that I’ve read all about but never experienced (and am really excited for!):

Magical Express – I used to have to take my own bags from the airport to the hotel! It was like the Disney stone ages!

EPCOT:
Soarin
Kim Possible
The Seas w/ Nemo – I think this was being built when I was there last

MK:
Monsters Inc Laugh Floor
Updated POC
WISHES – the last time I was there, wishes debuted the DAY I left. I’ve never seen the entire show but they were rehearsing it nightly that week so I got to see (but not hear) most of it.

AK:
Expedition Everest

DHS:
Toy Story Mania
Prince Caspian
Star Wars: Jedi Training Academy
AIE (but I’ll probably skip this one LOL)

These are just the things that I can think of off the top of my head! I’m sure there are restaurants, shows, events, etc. that I haven’t thought of.

I’m so excited! I’m finished with work now so all I have to do is relax until Monday morning when we get on the plane!

What a wonderful gift! Your mother must be very special. Relax and enjoy the trip. I'll be thinking of you...please take a trip on Soarin' for me!

krankenstein

w00t! Don't skip AIE! I'm telling you, it is a pretty good show. A lot better than LMA in my opinion. Go and check it out, you might be surprised.

Have fun on your trip! :wave:

TakeMeThere81

I'm so jealous that you are at DisneyWorld right now! I hope you are having a fabulous time, it sounds like it was way overdue!:wave:

Fashionista007

Original Poster
We’re back :( We had a fantastic time and I will try my best to consolidate the best of our pictures that we took!
Day 1 (Monday, March 23, 2009):
The three of us got up at 3AM to catch a 7:05AM flight from BWI to MCO. We were running on pure adrenaline!
[FONT=&quot]I had to wear this awesome shirt I found on Zazzle.com for our first day:
dcp_0651.jpg

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]When we landed at MCO, we followed the signs to the Magical Express and took the seats in the very back (the only row with 3 seats together).[/FONT]
dcp_0637.jpg

When the video started, I got all teary but I held myself together until we passed the “Welcome To Walt Disney World” sign. We were finally on Disney soil and I had to cry a little :sohappy:
We checked in at the Contemporary around 10:30AM and noticed Sorcerer Mickey outside:
dcp_0640.jpg

Then we went to EPCOT for lunch at the Electric Umbrella but it was closed! Thank god it was or else we would have never discovered Seasons in The Land. We ended up eating there 3 times on our trip and Jason had the salmon all 3 times :) I highly recommend the Quick Service Dining Plan if you are like us and always eat on the run in WDW. It was extremely convenient and it saves a ton of money!
[FONT=&quot]After lunch we relaxed on the ferry:[/FONT]
dcp_0642.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Too bad Davy Jones (from The Monkees, not the pirate) was there the day before!![/FONT]
dcp_0643.jpg

Oh well, I’m still a Daydream Believer with my awesome Margarita from Mexico!

dcp_0646.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Paradise…[/FONT]

dcp_0647.jpg

Fashionista007

Original Poster
Time to go back to the room…I was hoping my Mom’s basket would be there so I wouldn’t have to make up an excuse to come into her room later (we had connecting rooms). The basket was there right on time!

[FONT=&quot]Mom: What is this? Me: I don’t know, why don’t you open it?

dcp_0648.jpg

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Still with no clue…[/FONT]

dcp_0649.jpg

Then she read the card:

“To the greatest mother in the world,
We are so grateful that we have you in our lives. You make every day brighter even in the hardest of times. Here’s to a wonderful and magical vacation!
Love,
Shelley & Jason”

And the tears flowed…(sorry for the blurry pictures…I didn’t get the camera figured out until Wednesday)

dcp_0650.jpg

The three of us were so hopped up on adrenaline we didn’t even take a nap. We hung around the Contemporary for a bit, had dinner, then we went straight to the MK to see Spectromagic and Wishes for the first time for all 3 of us!

When we walked into the MK for the first time and I saw the lights, smelled the popcorn, and heard the music, I was so filled with happiness that I started to cry (that happened a LOT on this trip!).

We always sit at the Car Barn for Spectromagic so we can see the performers fresh out of the gate. I’m such a Spectro-dork that I know the 10 minute and 5 minute warning recordings, the entire intro, and all the words to the song :) Before the trip, every morning I would play the Spectromagic theme so Jason learned the words too! We all sang along and waved at all the characters like little children. We were waving very excitedly at Mickey (first time we had seen him on this trip) and he twitched his nose at us and blew us kisses! I cried.

We followed the end of Spectromagic down to Tomorrowland for a good view of the castle for Wishes. I had watched Wishes many times on YouTube but it’s nothing compared to being there in person. I cried the whole time (and I’m getting all teary just thinking about it!)

After Wishes was over, we had to go back to the hotel to sleep. We had been up for 20 hours! Mom hopped the monorail but Jason and I took a leisurely stroll back to the Contemporary.

There was an art print in our room that we could take home…I’m definitely framing this one!

Front:

BayLakeTowersArtFront.jpg

Back:

BayLakeTowersArtBack.jpg

Blister Report: 2 whoppers by the end of day 1 but nothing keeps me from enjoying the magic!

[FONT=&quot]More to follow…[/FONT]

Fashionista007

Original Poster
Thanks to all for your replies :) I am truly blessed with a great family!

On to day 2...

Day 2 (Tuesday, March 24, 2009):
We went to AK because Jason had never been there before (he loved it!). I was scared to ride EE but I did it and boy am I glad I did! That ride is simply amazing! My eyes were closed the whole time the first time we rode it so I didn’t get to see the Yeti :(
Biggest tortoise I’ve ever seen:
dcp_0653.jpg

Tree Of Life:

dcp_0655.jpg

dcp_0654.jpg

EE Pimp Shot:

dcp_0656.jpg

[FONT=&quot]I love the tigers…this one makes me sleepy [/FONT]:snore:

dcp_0660.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Crazy hippos…I can’t really tell if they’re playing or trying to eat each other?[/FONT]

dcp_0666.jpg

dcp_0665.jpg

Fashionista007

Original Poster
“In the jungle, the mightly jungle the lion sleeps tonight…I can’t hear ya buddy back me up! A WHEEEE”
dcp_0668.jpg

[FONT=&quot]On security patrol…[/FONT]

dcp_0669.jpg

[FONT=&quot]EE here I come![/FONT]

dcp_0678.jpg

[FONT=&quot]We had a fantastic day at AK. It was incredibly hot AND the most crowded I’ve ever seen AK. At night we went to EPCOT to catch Illuminations ROE and it was spectacular. We passed by the character spot and I saw Marie!! Too bad I didn’t have my camera figured out yet, the picture is all blurry [/FONT]:([FONT=&quot] I was so excited to see Marie because I have a cat named Duchess. I’ll have to get a better picture next time![/FONT]

dcp_0681.jpg

Blister Report: there was no way I could continue to wear my nike sneakers so I bought the black and red mickey mouse crocs. I made the mistake of wearing them without socks on this day so my feet were ruined for the rest of the trip. But, I am a die hard WDW fan so I sucked it up and wrapped each toe in band aids for the remainer of the trip and wore 2 pairs of socks. I’m still not healed almost a week later. I would do it again too! But next time I’ll make sure to get a better pair of shoes and athletic socks :)
More to follow…

Fashionista007

Original Poster
Day 3 (Wednesday, March 25, 2009):
This was the only day we went to DHS so we packed in as much as we could. We ended up missing TSM because the wait was 100 minutes and all the fastpasses were gone for the day by noon. It was jam packed with people! I’m incredibly sad about missing out on TSM, I know we would have enjoyed it!
We did get to see Lights, Motors, Action which was AWESOME! That stadium holds so many people that we got great seats even though we didn’t go in until about 15 minutes before the show.
[FONT=&quot]Right before the trip I was watching a clip of the show on the travel channel and I commented that you would never see a stunt woman set herself on fire. I was proved wrong…the person on fire in the picture below is a woman!

dcp_0687.jpg

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Awesome explosion:[/FONT]

dcp_0690.jpg

Sorry that’s all the pictures for that day. We were so busy trying to do everything that we didn’t get a chance to take a lot of pictures.
I was VERY disappointed with the Prince Caspian attraction. I really wish Disney would put more effort into the Narnia franchise because it’s my favorite book series. I liked the trivia questions at the beginning but that was about it. After that it’s basically a long trailer for the movie :(
[FONT=&quot]More to follow…[/FONT]

HollyBelle

Yay... Marie!!! We haven't seen her make an appearance since August of 2007. So glad you got to meet her. I'm looking forward to the rest of your TR. And I heart the Contemporary, it's such a great place to stay; what a wonderful gift from your mom :sohappy:.

Fashionista007

Original Poster
On Thursday we went to MK. I don’t usually go to the MK during the day because of the huge crowds but Jason really wanted to go :)
[FONT=&quot]Mickey’s House Shots:

dcp_0695.jpg

dcp_0696.jpg

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]I’m about to meet Mickey!![/FONT]

dcp_0697.jpg

[FONT=&quot]I couldn’t help but tear up when I got up close to Mickey. I love his cute little face [/FONT]:cry:

PhotoPass_MickeyMinnie.jpg

After this picture was taken, Minnie pointed to Jason’s guitar hero shirt and started playing air guitar. Mickey gave him the thumbs up. I cried! I can’t help it, they’re so cute!

[FONT=&quot]The boat in this picture is replicated in Disney’s Toontown MMORPG (which I subscribe to!):

dcp_0699.jpg

[/FONT]

Fashionista007

Original Poster
[FONT=&quot]Yeah me!

dcp_0700.jpg

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Fantasyland Philharmonic:[/FONT]

dcp_0701.jpg

Alice! She told me to say “Tea” instead of “Cheese” and hold my dress out like a princess. I loved her!

dcp_0702.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Parade shots:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
dcp_0706.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
dcp_0710.jpg
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Fashionista007

Original Poster
I have to stop here for a sec just to gear up to talk about the next section. Dream Along With Mickey has got to be the cutest thing I have ever seen!! I was holding back my tears when the princesses came out but this exchange got me:

Minnie: But Mickey, I’m not a Princess.
Mickey: Gee Minnie, you’ve always been a Princess to me.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Then he gets down on his knee! People must think I’m insane because I get stared at when I cry at things like that :hammer:

dcp_0716.jpg

dcp_0722.jpg

My personal favorite:

dcp_0726.jpg

Too bad Minnie’s eyes are closed :dazzle: BTW, when did the characters in shows start having moving eyes and mouths? I don’t recall that on my last trip in 2003.

dcp_0735.jpg

Fashionista007

Original Poster
Space Mountain!

dcp_0740.jpg

Jason loved the Frontierland Shooting Gallery. We ended up going back 3 times!

dcp_0741.jpg

Later that day after napping and stuffing our faces we went back to the MK to catch Spectromagic and Wishes. A little while after we got there an announcement came on that said the MK would be open until 11PM that night (instead of 9PM). Jason and I decided to blow off the parade and fireworks and try to ride everything we could! It turned out to be an awesome idea because we didn’t stand in a line longer than 15 minutes. We rode/saw almost everything in the MK over the span of one day.

I also found my new favorite dinner spot in the MK that night – Columbia Harbor House in Liberty Square. The park was very crowded and Cosmic Ray’s was way too busy so we were trying to find a good place to eat. This place was almost completely empty! Plus they have a fish and chicken platter that is ginormous. The castmembers in there are funny too, they were all talking to us. I think they were bored (it was really dead in there).

While Wishes was going on we rode Aladdin’s Magic Carpets. I wish our camera was better because I would have taken pictures. It was breathtaking!

Photo opp with Pluto:

dcp_0743.jpg

Garrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

dcp_0745.jpg

This was probably the second most exhausting day on our entire trip. The first is yet to come..

smk

I am so glad you had a good day in the MK, it is by far my most favorite place on earth (besides my home).

CROCS are my favorite shoe too, sorry they hurt your feet. I always wear the flip flop CROCS and the other ones I always wear with socks so I have never had the blister problem.

Fashionista007

Original Poster
I am so glad you had a good day in the MK, it is by far my most favorite place on earth (besides my home).

CROCS are my favorite shoe too, sorry they hurt your feet. I always wear the flip flop CROCS and the other ones I always wear with socks so I have never had the blister problem.

Thanks :) Yes, lesson learned on the crocs. Never wear them without socks especially if you are going to ride Kali River Rapids! My feet still haven't healed weeks later :cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom