D23. Did you sign up?

Number_6

I can't believe the shipping for the UK is that insane. Is it really necessary to charge that much for shipping? yikes! I'm from Indiana so I have no clue how that stuff goes :shrug:

It does seem an insane amount, but it would really depend in what the Surprise Collectible or whatever it was called turns out to be. If it's a figurine of some sort, where they would have to pack it with more protective materials and would weigh more than something like a pin, then I can sorta see it being that much, but it still seems a little high. Though they may also be shipping through Fed Ex rather than USPS, which would also up the price a bit.

Animaniac93-98

For comparison sake, a WDCC membership costs $50 instead and gives you all the info and "free" figure off the bat, in addition to all the paper material.

pacostrano

I would pay the 75$ for it because this is like a collection but I live in canada and I feel that they are charging too much for shipping when it's only ship like other magazine so no thanks

WDWRLD

Im not going to join unless there alot....I mean alot of perks are added. Im very disapointed with the 2+3 magazine that I just went a picked up from Barnes & Noble. The old Disney magazine had much more interesting information for my interest. The magazine seemed like the first half of the annual report. Even the few parts I did read read as if I was a member so there is really nothing "special" for those who join. Wasnt that the whole thing about this "exclusive" club for its "members". There was a few old pictures, a nice article about the Cali grill, alot of subliminal advertising about the upcoming movies and other projects, a where was this photo taken page, and not a whole lot else.

Kamikaze

Sure did. Signed up in the middle of a call, by the time the call was over it was paid off.

$75 for a year which includes a magazine with a $64 yearly cover price.
Much cheaper than I thought it was going to be.

diddy_mouse

Nope. I like my unofficial websites/fan communities just fine. Also if I'm hankering for Disney merch. I just go on eBay. Or wait until we go to WDW again...:D

wedway71

I am on the fence on it. I feel like such a fan boy when I think," If I am a real Disney fan, I would." But then I feel that what am I really getting for the 76 bucks. I can get as much info from fan sites and the internet for free.

Then again, I sometimes splurge. I lived around a few hours from WDW and now live in Indiana and sometimes I really need a Disney fix.

DisneyPrincess5

Ok so am I a dumb dumb for not being able to figure out the significance of 23? (aside from that Jim Carrey "23 IS EVERYWHERE!" stuff). What does it mean?

Sorry if it's been asked... there's 5 pages of posts here! Thanks!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I joined and paid the ridiculous shipping they don't tell you about if you live outside the U.S. until you're already paying.

I think the two things I see wrong are:

A) Disney is touting D23 as a "Community for fans", but it isn't a community, it's a presentation of information and merchandise. WDWMagic is a community. There is a difference.

B) People here are slamming it for something it's not trying to be. I haven't seen anything on the D23 site or press release that says it's for "real" fans or "true" fans. It is being slammed for being elitist, but there's no pressure to join, no glory in joining. If it were elitist, they'd publish the membership list and lists of who bought the crazy $850 pen... Take it for what it is, a subscription to a quarterly magazine that by appearances is probably worth most of the annual fees charged and a few trinkets and such as "membership benefits". Then there are member-exclusive merchandise ietems that are priced around the same as any other Disney merchandise, but you have to be a member to buy it direct.

My thoughts.

Jones611

I did! I'm a sucker for anything Disney and I don't think that $75 is that bad of a deal. I would have bought the magazines anyways and the membership is only $10 more. :wave:

Phonedave

I joined and paid the ridiculous shipping they don't tell you about if you live outside the U.S. until you're already paying.

A) Disney is touting D23 as a "Community for fans", but it isn't a community, it's a presentation of information and merchandise. WDWMagic is a community. There is a difference.

B) People here are slamming it for something it's not trying to be. I haven't seen anything on the D23 site or press release that says it's for "real" fans or "true" fans. It is being slammed for being elitist, but there's no pressure to join, no glory in joining. If it were elitist, they'd publish the membership list and lists of who bought the crazy $850 pen... Take it for what it is, a subscription to a quarterly magazine that by appearances is probably worth most of the annual fees charged and a few trinkets and such as "membership benefits". Then there are member-exclusive merchandise ietems that are priced around the same as any other Disney merchandise, but you have to be a member to buy it direct.

My thoughts.

My thoughts exactly.

I am by no means a fanboy (or fanboi). There are people who are a lot more "Disney Nuts" than I am. However I do like to collect things. Not collections of things, but just sort of random things. Things like shell casings from the 25th Anniversery EPCOT RoE. My logic was the same. I would buy the first 4 issues of the mag, just to have it. Any sort of "free gift" they give me is somthing else that goes in the "box o' stuff" along with the certificate. Maybe if I see some nice "members only" stuff I may buy it, maybe not.

I am sure the stuff will surface on ebay, but its going to be more than you pay via the membership, and quite frankly I don't have the time to play ebay bidding wars to save maybe $5 on the total package.

If I was in Canada and had to pay that insane shipping, then that would be a different story.

-dave

Kamikaze

My thoughts.

The kids think anything that costs money is 'elitist'.
Not their fault. The mentality starts from the top down.

Edit: I can't wait for the complaining when the price goes up next year.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
My thoughts exactly.

If I was in Canada and had to pay that insane shipping, then that would be a different story.

-dave
And I [somewhat begrudgingly] paid that too! :rolleyes:

Total purchases [membership and merch]: US$219.79
Total S&H: US$154.85

US$374.63 works out to ~CAN$480 :lookaroun

D23 did well by me today!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom