The Making of Disney Dreams and Christmas Memories: A December 2008 Trip Report

Now that the chaos of holiday travel and the excitement of Christmas are beginning to taper off I have time to put together a report from our most recent trip, December 14-19. This marks Brett and I’s fourth consecutive Christmas trip together and our second annual Christmas trip with his family. We’re very very lucky! Those in attendance included Brett (27), his brother Derek (31), their parents Kathy and Danny, and myself, Holly (26).

So... let's get started!

Day 1: Travel/Epcot/Downtown Disney

Brett and I headed to his parents house (and two hours closer to Disney) on Saturday 12/13. It’s nice to start the trip a little closer because we like to drive straight through so the difference in an 8 hour drive and a 6 hour drive is huge to us. We had dinner, packed a few last minute things and tried to get some sleep. Kathy, Danny, Brett and I left Columbia, SC at about 3am on the 14th. The plan was to meet up with Derek (who was leaving from Myrtle Beach) somewhere on I-95. Despite the multiple economy size Red Bulls Derek was consuming, he in fact did not grow wings and was still a good ways behind us, so we stopped at a Cracker Barrel to get some breakfast as we waited for him to catch up. After a few more stops and some OJ at the Florida Welcome Center we finally arrived at 11am... 8 hours later!

Ahh… Welcome Home. I’m not even a DVC member and this sign gives me goosebumps!

PC191166.jpg

Danny and Kathy own points at Saratoga Springs, but decided to try out Old Key West for this stay. Check-in was insane, which made me a teensy bit nervous about the crowd levels at the parks. It was our first time staying at OKW and I was really taken with the ambience. Brett and I took a trip to the real Key West in 2007 and the resort really did exude that laidback island feel that Key West is so famous for.

The room wasn’t ready yet so we headed over to the Beach Club for some of the best (and most reasonably priced) burgers on property at Beaches and Cream!

Here are Danny and Kathy, who I must thank for such a wonderful trip:

DSC00193.jpg

The views that we enjoyed while waiting for lunch weren’t half bad:

PC140522.jpg

Beaches and Cream menu:

PC140518.jpg

And here we have a very tired & hungry crew waiting patiently to devour lunch. Brett and I:

PC140520.jpg

Derek, Danny and Kathy:

DSC00206.jpg

After lunch, which was delicious, we wandered around both the Yacht and Beach Clubs. The carousel in the lobby of the Beach Club is my favorite of all the gingerbread/chocolate creations. Of course this might be because there was a Holly Horse in 2007! Unfortunately, I didn’t make the cut this year…drat. I complain in jest, as I really do love that they switch things up every year and make minor changes to some of the decorations. Not only does it keep them fresh, but it gives us something to banter about from one year to the next!

Beach Club Carousel 2008:

DSC00186.jpg

And for comparison purposes… the Holly Horse from 2007. And happenstance would have it that my favorite character, Pluto, rested beneath. How could it not be my favorite!?:

PC210211.jpg

It was at the Fittings and Fairings gift shop in the Yacht Club that we became aware of the crazy sale (50% off Christmas ornaments/hats/stockings and 40% off beach towels/caps/tshirts) that is, in my opinion, a direct reflection of our economy and Disney’s very smart attempt to move merchandise that they might otherwise be saddled with later.

The beautiful and ornate globe marking the entrance to Fittings and Fairings:

PC140540.jpg

Next up... a little Epcot to sooth the soul!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
After Kathy found out that the room still wasn’t ready, we decided to head over to Epcot for a little bit.

The Yacht Club Pier, as seen from our walk over to Epcot:

PC140543.jpg

France from the International Gateway:

PC140546.jpg

We spent some time in the UK playing around, saw the tail end of Nowell’s performance in Canada, and then headed over to The Seas with Nemo and Friends which was our first ride of the trip, followed by Spaceship Earth.

Picturesque England:

DSC00238.jpg

Phone booth fun:

DSC00233.jpg

Nowell in Canada:

DSC00244.jpg

The Seas Signage:

IMG_0798.jpg

The SSE Mural, which Brett was very relieved to see unchanged during the refurb a while back:

PC140559.jpg

After a quick stop to experience the craziness and chaos at MouseGear we headed back to the International Gateway. For some odd reason an unbelievable number of birds (seagulls, I believe) were dive bombing and leaving presents all over the walkways throughout Canada and most of England. Kathy and I laughed nervously at the thought of being target practice and I had visions of Alfred Hitchcock’s “The Birds” while moving briskly through the area. Seriously though... where'd they all come from? That's what I want to know!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Just after 4pm we arrived back at OKW with the green light to enter our room. It was refreshing to finally get in and get the cars unloaded. As we were carting stuff inside a couple walking by said “Welcome to the Neighborhood.” And it really did feel like such, with the quaint buildings and ability to park just outside your door. We were also lucky enough to be just steps away from the common area and lighthouse pool. I’ve read about the grandness of the OKW villas, but wasn’t prepared for just how large the living area was going to be. We had a great second floor room (the entrance was accessed by its own stairwell) with a view of the tree lined golf course from all the windows and the very expansive covered balcony.

Old Key West Room 1222 (up top):

DSC00295.jpg

You can see the architectural style and pastels better on this villa, which was just next door:

PC140562.jpg

Living Area:

PC140563.jpg

Kitchen:

PC140566.jpg

Master Bedroom:

PC140564.jpg

Bedroom 2:

PC140565.jpg

We all took some time to relax and unpack our suitcases. Brett, Derek and I went down to the Gurgling Suitcase to enjoy a drink and I wandered around the property taking some pictures while Kathy and Danny finished getting ready for dinner. I liked the Gurgling Suitcase… if it were just a bit larger, it would have looked and felt exactly like the kind of place you would find if you wandered off the beaten path a little ways from the famous Duval Street in Old Town, Key West.

The Gurgling Suitcase Signage:

PC140567.jpg

Conch Flats General Store:

IMG_0925.jpg

The near empty corridor between the Registration building and Olivia’s Café, a much different sight than earlier when the place was crawling with people:

PC140571.jpg

The registration seating/waiting area was a beautiful library stocked with the likes of Hemingway, of course:

PC140572.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Once at Downtown Disney, we strolled around the area for a bit before heading over to Fulton’s Crab House for our dinner reservations. We were seated upstairs almost immediately. The views of Saratoga Springs from some of the window seats were amazing; it’s too bad we weren’t sitting at one! Dinner was just okay in my opinion, and I think the rest of my party is in agreement with that. To be honest, when factoring expectation and value into the equation, this meal rates as my least favorite overall for this trip. It was simply nothing to write home about. All of our entrees were good, but none of them were great. The clam chowder and lobster bisque were the best parts of the meal. For the price and reputation, Fulton's should have delivered the best and freshest seafood ever, which they didn't.

A great shot Derek captured of Fulton’s:

IMG_0808.jpg

Derek, Danny and Kathy trying to keep their eyes open before dinner:

PC140581.jpg

Brett and I looking a bit worn out:

PC140582.jpg

As you can tell from the pictures, we were a very tired bunch. The original plan was to head over to the Studios after dinner to spend some time enjoying the Osborne Lights, but at some point we all decided it would be best to get some rest and wake up refreshed for our first full Disney day. So after a little shopping at the Marketplace, it was back to Old Key West 1222.

We passed this “sidewalk artist” on the way out:

PC140585.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Day 2: Animal Kingdom/Resort Relaxing/Magic Kingdom

Monday morning we woke up and headed over to the AK Rainforest Café for breakfast before entering the park. Unbeknownst to us (because we didn’t take the time to find out) the restaurant didn’t open until 8:30 am so we took some pictures and waited around until then. This caused us to miss out on the morning extra magic hours which was unfortunate. Breakfast was good, but the tonga toast at the Rainforest Café can’t even compete with Kona’s. There’s absolutely no comparison.

Brett and his Mama in front of the AK tree (this year it wins my award for “favorite park tree”):

DSC00255copy-1.jpg

Rainforest Signage:

PC150607.jpg

One tree frog, extra large:

PC150613.jpg

Derek and Kathy:

PC150619.jpg

I believe Brett was looking to be adopted by the many gorillas around us (keep your eyes peeled, this won’t be the last time you’ll see gorilla faces during the trip):

PC150620.jpg

Brett and I were itching to get in the park and meet some characters so we excused ourselves from breakfast a little early and made our way to Discovery Island, where Eeyore and Tigger were awaiting us.

PC150623.jpg

PC150626-1.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We met up with everyone else and headed to Dinoland, USA. Derek recently had minor surgery and all is well; however, he was to steer clear of the more intense rides, so he unfortunately had to bypass many throughout the trip. So while Danny, Brett and I rode Dinosaur, Kathy and Derek met up with Pluto and Goofy.

This sign really sits back in the trees, I think this is the first time I’ve ever even noticed it:

PC150629.jpg

Dinosaur:

PC150633.jpg

Pluto and Goofy enjoying a Dinoland Christmas:

IMG_0831.jpg

An extinct Christmas tree:

DSC00263-1.jpg

And the cheerful orange Brontosaurus watching over Dinorama:

DSC00271copy.jpg

After Dinorama we made our way towards Expedition Everest. Brett grabbed fastpasses for all of us but Derek and then some confusion ensued as we tried to decide whether we should go standby or single rider. Single rider won out and Kathy chose to bypass this expedition and just join us when our fastpass return time came up. Standing in the single rider line, Brett and I spied the Dream Squad entering the EE unload zone. 5 minutes later as I was being loaded onto a train I looked back and noticed that all three of us had made the same one. As soon as the ride was over and the train pulled up to the exit area 5 or 6 Dream Squad members began clapping and shouting that we were all winners. They handed out AK Dream Fastpasses to everyone on the train!!!

Yeti Monument:

PC150655copy.jpg

Beware of Yeti:

PC150652.jpg

AK Dream Fastpasses; it appears that Brett was so excited he couldn’t stop looking at his:

PC150656-1.jpg

So after winning our fastpasses a bit of gloating took place as we all headed towards Africa. What can you do, brothers will be brothers; it was all in good fun. On the way we stopped for a picture in front of the crazy legged statue outside Yak & Yeti. It actually made for a great photo op:

DSC00281.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We headed for the standby line at the safari and when a cast member saw our fastpass lanyards he tried to direct us towards the FP return queue. We told him we were getting in standby so that we could all ride together and he said “That’s okay… all of you go over there and tell them Dave sent you.” So we went to see just how much pull Dave had… and apparently it was enough, as the cast member checking return times just smiled and waved us in. So thanks Dave for the dream moment!

The safari was really enjoyable and we had a great guide. Although I didn’t get any good animal shots this time, I did catch a few of the ride vehicles:

PC150663.jpg

PC150680.jpg

We followed the path to the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail once we exited the safari. It’s been quite a while since I’ve been on the exploration trail, and now I remember why; for whatever reason it’s nowhere near the top of my AK list.

We did find a meerkat standing tall:

PC150687copy.jpg

A chalkboard filled with gorilla anatomy:

PC150688.jpg

The bridge Jafar sits off to the right of (my favorite area of the trail):

PC150689.jpg

And Jafar hiding in the boulder under the foliage… one of the coolest "hidden characters" found in the parks:

PC150690.jpg

Following the trail, Derek went to the Maharajah Jungle Trek while the rest of us returned to Everest for our fastpass time. He got some great shots of the tigers… this one was my favorite:

IMG_0886.jpg

And for some crazy reason (probably poor planning on my part when making our dining reservations) Brett, Derek and I had to get over to the MK for lunch reservations at the Liberty Tree Tavern, so we took off while Danny and Kathy stayed to get some quick service lunch and capitalize on the dream fastpasses.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
While having lunch at Liberty Tree, we debated over whether to spend the afternoon in the Magic Kingdom or go back to the resort and enjoy the pool. The resort won out because we figured we’d have a better chance at walking on rides later that night during EMH’s.

When we got back to OKW, Brett and I donned our running gear and took off to explore the resort on foot. It really is a beautiful property; it’s quite large and spread out with villas in small clusters, and although some might see this as a bad thing, I liked the community feel. Plus we found a great jogging path (accessed between villas 54 and 55) that ran along the edge of the golf course and followed the channel to DTD.

After our run, Brett and I headed down to the pool to meet up with the others. The main pool has a great slide which the guys couldn’t stay off of. I personally found the hot tub more to my liking! And the lighthouse serves as a sauna, which I wasn't aware of until now.

DSC00298.jpg

DSC00299.jpg

After relaxing at the pool we all got ready for dinner and MK extra magic hours. We were going back to DTD to have dinner at T-Rex and I wanted to take the boat over so Brett and I left a good 45 minutes before everyone else to get over there and check us all in. Funny thing is that they only arrived at T-Rex 5 minutes after us! That’s okay though, I really did enjoy the boat ride. I found it hilarious that as we passed under one of the bridges just before Saratoga Springs the music on the boat switched from Jimmy Buffett (one of our favorite artists) to what I would describe as big band music, keeping with the themed surroundings.

The Azalea Bloom:

PC150705.jpg

Olivia’s and company from the water:

PC150707.jpg

The lighthouse:

PC150708.jpg

And a self portrait (we got this one fairly centered...after about 5 tries!):

PC150709.jpg

One of the Treehouse Villas under construction (Kathy is very excited for these because they’ll be considered a part of SSR… meaning we’ll probably get to stay there soon!):

PC150710.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We arrived at T-Rex around 6:15pm and were seated immediately. The place is huge and probably had more open tables than not; however, by the time we were on our way out, it was full. It was definitely a fun dining experience. Brett was very excited to try it out, much more so than I was, but I guess that has to do with his childhood love of dinos and my indifference towards them!

The restaurant has four dining rooms: the ice room, fire room, aquarium, and forest. Unfortunately, we were seated in the forest, which most resembles the Rainforest Cafe where we’ve eaten a countless number of times. The food was good; and although different, the menu does bear a close resemblance to the one at Rainforest. Brett was thoroughly enjoying the names of menu items and I’m starting to think he ordered the ribs just so he could ask for the “Mega Mess-O-bones!!” Kathy had the “Lava Flow,” which I believe was some sort of daiquiri/pina colada blend. The only ingredient we can be sure it had is alcohol… and a lot of it!

Signage:

PC150716copy.jpg

A baby pterodactyl on the outdoor menu:

PC140592.jpg

T-Rex’s version of the purple elephant... a clothed orange dino with an Indiana Jones hat:

PC140586.jpg

The Shark Aquarium Bar (very cool… but I’m partial to the animal bottoms):

IMG_0962.jpg

Parasaurolophus’ (say that three times fast!):

DSC00307.jpg

Snowy wooly mammoth babies:

IMG_0957.jpg

And big Mama Wooly Mammoth:

IMG_0945.jpg

The restaurants namesake encased in a glacier:

IMG_0927.jpg

And last but not least… Kathy enjoying her “Lava Flow”:

PC150723.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
After dinner we went straight to the car and over to MK for EMH. We arrived just as SpectroMagic was beginning and we were herded across the street to the Emporium between floats. Brett and I don’t usually take time to watch the parades, as they just aren’t high on our priority list. But I consider SpectroMagic to be an exception and I think more than anything it’s because I love the musical score so much; it’s just beautiful!

The castle with Spectro in the foreground:

PC150725.jpg

While I was entranced by the parade, Kathy scored a small victory and got Danny to purchase and adorn a Christmas hat! One down, three to go and she’ll be on top of the world. Doesn’t he just look fetching?

IMG_1004.jpg

We made our way to Adventureland and walked right on the Jungle Cruise, which I love at night. We followed this up with walk-on rides to Pirates, Splash Mountain and the Haunted Mansion. Next up was my favorite 3D show: Philharmagic. I’m not quite sure if Derek shares my excitement or if he’s simply being facetious; I’m leaning towards the latter:

PC150730.jpg

PC150728.jpg

When we exited the ride Brett noticed Donald Duck standing on the other side of the fastpass distribution area. I was, of course, ecstatic to meet him near his ride (the picture will be perfect for my Philharmagic scrapbook page) so we jumped in line. The fab five were all out in Fantasyland with exceptionally long lines, and I’m guessing it’s because Toontown has been taken over by fairies. I’m okay with this though, because I much prefer outdoor shots with characters over those with cardboard backdrops.

We all met the duck, but the following picture wins by a landslide. Donald almost succeeded in pushing Danny all the way out of the frame:

DSC00319.jpg

Next we entered Tomorrowland and took a breather on the TTA. At Buzz Lightyear a dual ensued between the boys. Brett thinks he won, while Derek is convinced his own gun wasn’t working properly, so I guess there’ll have to be a rematch later.

From there it was time to bid goodnight to the kingdom. We stood on the Tomorrowland bridge for some time waiting for the castle to fade back to blue. Before it came around we headed up Main Street, but Derek and Kathy did get some shots of a pink castle:

DSC00326copy.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

As everyone was debating whether or not to pick up a snack on the way out, I joined Goofy on the bench he frequents to do a little people watching:

PC150738.jpg

And so it goes… we’ve finally come to the end of our first full day!

DisneyGigi

Love the report so far- great pictures. Love the Donald pic outside Philharmagic! I also agree with you about Fulton's I was not that impressed either when we went last year. Can't wait to see the rest.

Okay Holly, so I could seriously read and reread your trip reports all day. You write so beautifully and you really entice the reader and almost make it so I can actually picture myself on vacation with you. You should try writing a book about WDW from a true traveler/fan perspective...I know that I would definitley buy that guide!!

I hope I didn't give you a big head now...LOL!!!

Can't wait to hear more and more and more......

-Danielle:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom