XBox or PS2?

Erika

Original Poster
Alright! John and I need some input from you gamers out there.

One of our best friends was part of the team which recently completed the upcoming game NBA Ballers. (If you watched the show about it on MTV this week, you saw him.) Currently we have regular Playstation, Super Nintendo, and Atari 2600. :lookaroun His game has been approved for PS2 and XBox and it looks like we need an updated system...ya think?

So, which is better? With PS2 I like the fact that we can get rid of our old one, and I can still play my WDW racing game :sohappy:

However, my brother has XBox and I really like it.

What are your thoughts?

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by Erika
Alright! John and I need some input from you gamers out there.

One of our best friends was part of the team which recently completed the upcoming game NBA Ballers. (If you watched the show about it on MTV this week, you saw him.) Currently we have regular Playstation, Super Nintendo, and Atari 2600. :lookaroun His game has been approved for PS2 and XBox and it looks like we need an updated system...ya think?

So, which is better? With PS2 I like the fact that we can get rid of our old one, and I can still play my WDW racing game :sohappy:

However, my brother has XBox and I really like it.

What are your thoughts?

I myself like XBox...but there aren't as many games...and you can't play PS games on it...but then again...I'm not a real "gamer" I just play every now and then. (Hehe, I have Gamecube and neither of the other two :lol: which proves my point).

Erika

Original Poster
Re: Re: XBox or PS2?

Originally posted by WDWFREAK53
I myself like XBox...but there aren't as many games...and you can't play PS games on it...but then again...I'm not a real "gamer" I just play every now and then. (Hehe, I have Gamecube and neither of the other two :lol: which proves my point).

I'm like you- I play only now and then, so volume of games won't be a factor for me either. The last thing I played was Tetris Attack. The last thing John played was RBI Baseball and that's pretty much the only game he'll pick up a controller for.

WDWFREAK53

Re: Re: Re: XBox or PS2?

Originally posted by Erika
The last thing John played was RBI Baseball and that's pretty much the only game he'll pick up a controller for.

Hehe, wait til I introduce him to some of MY games :lookaroun

(jk...for the record, I have never played a game like that...aside from the occassional "Leisure Suit Larry" back in high school :lol: )

Steamboat_Kevin

I'm like you and Brian also, I'm not a hardcore gamer like some people. I just play once in a while, But if I were you, I'd get a PS2 (Plus, the PS2 doubles as a DVD player and a CD player, which I'm sure you already have, but it's still cool :p )
-Kevin
BTW, Erika, I love your current gaming systems! Gotta love the classics! :D

Shaman

How about both?......No, yes, maybe?....

If I had to pick....hmm....I would go with the PS2....

But then again I'm not exactly a hardcore gamer....

:wave:

NowInc

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-boxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!!!!

PS2 is old. More games doesnt mean BETTER games. The Majority of the "high rated" games latley are all x-box, and a TON of upcoming titles are xbox exclusives :)

Not to mention x-box is now down to $150 ;)

And yes..it also doubles as a DVD/CD player...and MUCH more. Wont need to buy a memory card (it has an internal hard drive), so thats less mula to shell out.

Not to mention, the games LOOK way better :) My Ps2 is nothing more than a high priced paperweight at this point. My xbox, altough large (thats the biggest disadvantage..its size) is used at least 4 times a week (whenever i can get time). Got it hooked up thru a sweet 36 inch flat screen and 400 watts of 5.1 surround sound (something else that PS2 has difficulty supporting..heh)

As long as you dont get a gamecube..we'll all be ok.

imagineer99

Alrighty, I play a lot of video games (sad I know) and I am going to list the reasons why x-box is a superior gaming system.

1.) It is a stronger machine...it has a faster processor, a better video card. As a result, load times are less, games look much better, and more graphically "intense" games such as Fable, Halo, Half Life Two, and Deus Ex: Invisible War only appear on x-box and the pc.

2.) IT HAS A HARDRIVE!!!! Unlike PS2, you don't have to use lame memory cards.

3.) Four controller ports...not a huge issue, but nice nevertheless.

4.) X-box has the most successful and well organized online console gaming community--x-box live.

5.) X-box has sole rights to gaming developers such as bungie and the works of Peter Molyneux. I'm sure you have know idea who these people are but they make fantastic games.

6.) X-box is a DVD player as well (so is PS2).

7.) Many games such as Splinter Cell and Rainbow Six 3 come out for X-box first. The developers then "dumb" them down to work on PS2.

That being said...go with the X-box. :)

However, the "BEST" gaming system is a highend PC. No console will ever compete with a PC's gigantic library and ability to produce amazing visuals.

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by NowInc
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-boxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!!!!

PS2 is old. More games doesnt mean BETTER games. The Majority of the "high rated" games latley are all x-box, and a TON of upcoming titles are xbox exclusives :)

Not to mention x-box is now down to $150 ;)

And yes..it also doubles as a DVD/CD player...and MUCH more. Wont need to buy a memory card (it has an internal hard drive), so thats less mula to shell out.

Not to mention, the games LOOK way better :) My Ps2 is nothing more than a high priced paperweight at this point. My xbox, altough large (thats the biggest disadvantage..its size) is used at least 4 times a week (whenever i can get time). Got it hooked up thru a sweet 36 inch flat screen and 400 watts of 5.1 surround sound (something else that PS2 has difficulty supporting..heh)

As long as you dont get a gamecube..we'll all be ok.

WOOT!!! The master gamer...(not to be confused with the baiter :lookaroun ) agreed with me! :lol: (Now...I only bought the GCube because of the brand name...I had a Sega Genesis...and always thought the SuperNintendo was better...and I always thought the N64 was better than the PS...but now...I think it's time to get me an XBox...and I think I'm the only one that liked the Dreamcast too :lol: )

GaryT977

NowInc said most of what I was going to say; PS/2 has more games, X-Box has better hardware. And when Halo 2 comes out this year, there won't be any more arguments about which system is best.

What hasn't been mentioned is X-Box Live, which is by far the best implementation of online gaming. It requires broadband (cable or DSL), and comes with a headset so you can talk to the people you're playing with/against (including voice shredders!).

SpongeScott

Erika, I gotta agree with Dan. X-Box seems to be more "cutting edge" to me for some reason and with the price cut it has right now (at least at Target) for $150, that's a pretty good deal. Sales at our Target run a little in favor of PS2, but I've not heard any complaints about the X-Box. More games are available on PS2 and that's what we have at home, so give heed to Dan's arguments.

imagineer99

Originally posted by GaryT977

What hasn't been mentioned is X-Box Live, which is by far the best implementation of online gaming. It requires broadband (cable or DSL), and comes with a headset so you can talk to the people you're playing with/against (including voice shredders!).

Look two posts above you...:lookaroun

As for Dreamcast, I thought is was a good system. I still play it every once in a while. Toy commander, anyone?

JMishy

PS2 is my choice simply for the fact that I live for the Final Fantasy games as well as Kingdom Hearts (for those of you who aren't familiar with Kingdom Hearts, it's a mix of Final Fantasy with Disney)! :sohappy:

popkid

in my current collection of consoles, my PS2 is sadly nothing more than a paperweight like NOW said. with it's huge library of games, i only own one (as well as one PS1 game)

xbox on the other-hand doesn't get much rest. and with halo2 looming over the horizon i'm feeling week in the knees :)

gotta say tho, gamecube definately gets the majority of my lovin...

JackSkellington

Each has its own ups and downs.
The PS2 has been out longer, therefore it has more games (not necessarily better), allows you to play all your old PS1/PSX games. It doubles as a DVD player and CD player. It has almost no multiplayer games, unless you pay 40 bucks for a multitap, then up to 4 people can play.
The Xbox has been out a year after the PS2. It has a good variety of games, and a multiplayer (up to 4 people) option already inside the box. however you gotta pay for the DVD option, like 35 bucks for the software.
Gamewise the PS2 has the Final Fantasy, and Sims line. They also have one of the bestselling games on the market, and that is Kingdom Hearts. The sequel KH2 is supposed to be the next best game on the 04' market. The Xbox has the best shooter in the whole world. And that of coarse is Halo. And with Halo 2 coming out in Sept. it has great promises.
The cost for each system is a 40 buck difference with the Xbox being the higher. However you get two controllers and two games in the bundle. The Xbox controllers are stinkin' expensive at 40-45 bucks a pop, for the good ones. PS2 is 30-35 a pop. Game prices are the same usually.
So it reallyis a matter of taste. I personally like and use the PS2, but my friend and I usehis Xbox for parties.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I am a PS2 fan here... 5 words, Erika: "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" will hit the shelfs for PS2 this OCT. :sohappy: :lookaroun

And what made me go out and get a PS2 in the first place... was Grand Theft Auto: Vice City... the game is that fun, IMO.

NowInc

Time for ULTRA GEEK POST::

Reading some of the comments on here since my last post..i have an addon..and here we go::

First off...DVD playing on xbox is 20 bucks..and thats so you can have a remote control. Most people dont bother using their gameing console as a DVD player anyway...

Second...I for one..LOVE..and still play...my dreamcast (i own 20...i use the parts to repair my Naiomi based arcade machines..which run off the same hardware found in the dreamcast)..so thats my standpoing on that :)

Third...X-box live is AMAZING. MOST xbox games are live enabled, meaning you can go online and duke it out with people all over the world..DEFINATALY adds to the longevity of games.

Fourth...the new Grand Theft Auto will only be a PS/2 exclusive for a whole 6 months. After that..PC and Xbox will get their superior versions (the version you are getting on PS/2 is graphically toned down so the system can actually run it). The Xbox versions of the other 2 Grand Theft Autos are SOOOOOO much better.

Fifth...and this is an anti xbox post...if you like RPGs (role playing games..like..final fantasy)...well...then thats where xbox lacks...BIG. Very few good ones are made for the system (well..that is..until Fable comes out later this year :fork: )

Sixth..and most geeky of the argument. Xbox supports HDTV! Yes..i know it doesnt SEEM like a cool feature..but if you SAW the difference, youd understand why. Its a MILLION times crisper and really helps pull you into the game. (It also supports wide screen HDTV in case you were wondering)

Also..some minor key facts. Keep in mind that although the Xbox has 4 controller ports in the front, you can actually link up to as many as 4 xboxes at once..making a total of 16 player action...REALLY fun in Halo.

Some of the upcoming titles of this year that are xbox treats::

Doom 3
Halflife 2
Halo 2
Fable
Rally Sport Challenge 4
Silent Hill 4 (i know..not an Exclusive..but it looks a ton better on xbox)
Dead or Alive: Ultimate (i think thats what they are calling it now)
Starcraft: Ghosts

Titles that are out now that you want :)

Ninja Gaiden
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tommorow
Prince Of Persia: The Sands of Time
Grand Theft Auto: Double Pack (2 games for the price of 1)
Halo (its basically one of those "NEED TO OWN" games)
Project Gotham Racing 2
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
Soul Calliber 2
Dead or Alive 3

Thats a good start...i think :) Those are all games i own and can whole heartingly endorse :D

p.s....no system will ever be as good as an SNES :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom