Hostage Situation at Westside DTD?!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Perhaps you are referring to this?
http://www.wftv.com/news/17801683/detail.html
Deputies Search For Suspect At Downtown Disney

POSTED: 11:18 am EDT October 25, 2008
UPDATED: 11:54 am EDT October 25, 2008

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- A threat to a bus driver led to a massive search on Downtown Disney property Saturday morning as Orange County deputies swarmed the area looking for a suspect who may have been armed.

Few details have been been made available, but a dispatcher at the Orange County Sheriff's Office said that deputies were responding to a threat made by an individual.

The man was wearing all black and allegedly armed. Deputies searched the area around the AMC Theaters and Disney Quest, but failed to find a suspect.

Canine units, the Sheriff's Office helicopter was also brought in. A photographer for Channel 9 Eyewitness News got video of a bus isolated in a a parking lot being searched by deputies.

Witnesses reported deputies carrying shotguns searching Disney property, and said that bus service and transports boats had been shut down.

More details will appear on this website as well Channel 9 Eyewitness News as it becomes available.

EpcotServo

Oh uh.

:lookaroun

Alan-Rickman-Die-Hard_l.jpg

TheKeeler7

From the Orlando Sentinel:

Bus driver taken hostage at gunpoint; forced to drive to Downtown Disney

From Staff Reports 12:32 PM EDT, October 25, 2008 A man took a tour bus driver hostage briefly and forced her to drive to the Downtown Disney entertainment and shopping complex, authorities said Saturday.

The man, who was not identified but was described as being black, in his 20s, weighing 150 to 160 pounds, wearing black jeans, a black sweatshirt, black ball cap and having a moustache, then blended into the crowd.

He apparently hid in the restroom of a Mears bus and emerged with a gun and made his demands.

A search of Downtown Disney did not turn him up, but Orange County deputy sheriffs were continuing with their investigation.

chaggy102

What amazes me is that they can't find this guy...and talked to a few people that I know work in the parks and there hasn't been any extra security...you'd think there would be with this.

tigsmom

What amazes me is that they can't find this guy...and talked to a few people that I know work in the parks and there hasn't been any extra security...you'd think there would be with this.

Why? He is just one of many. He probably isn't even in the area any more. Ditch the hat and hoodie and walk out of the place just like everybody else. The mustache may not even have been real. Seems all he wanted was transportation away from where he was since he didn't hurt anyone or rob anyone. :shrug:

And since he didn't ask to be taken to any park why would they need extra security? Stuff like this happens all over, but since it's Disney people go crazy.

chaggy102

Why? He is just one of many. He probably isn't even in the area any more. Ditch the hat and hoodie and walk out of the place just like everybody else. The mustache may not even have been real. Seems all he wanted was transportation away from where he was since he didn't hurt anyone or rob anyone. :shrug:

And since he didn't ask to be taken to any park why would they need extra security? Stuff like this happens all over, but since it's Disney people go crazy.

I disagree 100%...is something like this happens anywhere else you know that the surrounding areas would have extra security beefed up to make sure that nothing happened. And with all the access to the different resorts and parks from DTD it is a huge liability.

tigsmom

I disagree 100%...is something like this happens anywhere else you know that the surrounding areas would have extra security beefed up to make sure that nothing happened. And with all the access to the different resorts and parks from DTD it is a huge liability.

I live 10 minutes away from the second largest outlet mall in the US, it is across the street from an elementary school, middle school and high school and is adjacent to a major north/south interstate. One store (at least) gets robbed almost daily and they do not lock down the entire area. They do roadblocks (one way in and out), but the schools are not locked down (and they have their own security).

Most of the time these people have just one motive and once that is accomplished they are out of there, unless they are cornered and forced into reacting. If he had wanted to go to a park or resort he could have made her take him there (or at least closer to one).

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

I think perhaps you are overreacting. Security is already present at DTD. Orange County was there searching for him. This is an isolated incident and I agree with tigsmom, he most likely is LONG GONE.

raven

This is not fun to hear. Last night on the 3rd shift pre-shift we were briefed about looking for situations exactly like this (suspicious-looking people, abandoned bags, etc.). Then I worked for 8 hours alone in an isolated area from other workers...close to DTD West Side! :eek: I feel so safe.

MKCP 1985

I drove up to Parking area 5 right around noon today (give or take a few minutes) and a police car had the turn entrance blocked off. Same thing at parking area 4. When I got to parking area 3 and they still wouldn't let traffic turn in, and the parking lot was fairly empty, I asked a Disney policeman and he told me he didn't know, but nobody was allowed to go in.

So, by the time I got all the way to the old original Disney Village, they were letting traffic in, and I made the block, came back and parked.

Around 1:30, I asked a DVC salesman what had gone on earlier and he told me that he'd been told there was a guy on a bus with a gun, but that they didn't really know what had happened either. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom