Huge Monorail expansion?

KingCEO

Original Poster
As I was leaving the Magic Kingdom to go to the TTC, I overheard a Monorail CM talkin about the Monorail expansion. I had asked him about it and he said it was supposed to connect all four parks and that the Magic Kingdom would be the center of all the monorail transportation. He said that it was supposed to start 2000 and end 2003-2004 but was put off due to money....anyone know more??

DarkMeasures

Yeah. This planned expansion has been in the works since WDW first opened but has been put off for one big reason...

Buses are much more flexible and can transport more people than monorails...

And you will always hear CMs talking about it. I remember a long time ago some CM talking about a Monorail Expansion...

in other words.... not going to happen.

KingCEO

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick response.:)

Ya even the CM said it was wishful thinking, the proposed plan he told me sounded awesome. He did tell me though that if I cared about it enough I should try to gather a whole bunch of people and write a letter/petition to WDW execs.

Bill

Account Suspended
I'm going to disagree. As much as the bus drivers of WDW would like for this not to be true, it is true that the monorail expansion project is in WDI and is being planned. Disney has a lot of transportation projects in the works. Trust me. ;)

PhotoDave219

Its not going to happen.

Somkeone go dig up that 30+ page thread on this very topic and you'll understand the reasons why.

WHen your dealing with the costs of expanding this system, you'll see hopw great busses really are.

TownSquareSteve

Monorail Expansion???

Hey all,

First timer here!! When I worked for Disney a few years back, I was sitting next to one of the MK Executives (during a lunch break) and overheard them talking about the monorail expansion. What I heard was it was only to include future parks (planning ahead, so they didn't have to do it during construction of the parks), a new TTC and more monorail accessaible hotels. The buses are more cost effective, but there is something about riding the monorail that everyone seems to love and needs to do at least once when they visit Disney. I know for a fact a lot of guests would like to see a value resort connected to the monorail line. With new technologies, who knows how big the new monorails could be!!! Thats it for me, talk to you all later!!!

:D :D

TimeTrip

Re: Re: Huge Monorail expansion?

Originally posted by PhotoDave219
Its not going to happen.

Somkeone go dig up that 30+ page thread on this very topic and you'll understand the reasons why.

Heh i was going to link to a few of them, but the number of huge threads when searching for "monorail expansion" was in and of itself too large! ;)

Colin

One of the Bus drivers told me that Disney has gone away from building new monorails, mainly to do with the number of lightning strikes in Florida and if the monorails break down the whole system comes to a standstill, and that buses are also more flexible during peak times etc.

The Swan and Dolphin hotels were designed to accomodate monorails through the centre section, you can see the section filled in the centre during construction.

ogryn

Originally posted by Colin

The Swan and Dolphin hotels were designed to accomodate monorails through the centre section, you can see the section filled in the centre during construction.

I think that was proved factually incorrect in the last discussion. The blocks are just part of the architectual design to "break" up the building.

Colin

Originally posted by ogryn
I think that was proved factually incorrect in the last discussion. The blocks are just part of the architectual design to "break" up the building.

That was only what I was told by the bus driver. Maybe that was his dream :) :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Please...not the Swan/Dolphin/Monorail thing again.... :lol:

Even if WDI are planning, it will sit yellow lighted for years (maybe it already has) due to one thing. Money.

Over the years so many transport ideas have been discussed, planned, drempt - monorail expansion (guess the loop between Imagination and The Land is a no no now) , WEDWays (part of the 1973 plan was to link the Contemporary with Disney Village via WEDWay and also monorail), personal shuttles, Teleportation... OK maybe not... but right now we are talking billions of dollars worth of infrastructure. I really hope I am proven wrong but I can`t see it happening.

One thing is for sure - TDWC/TDF are aware the road are getting busier, the hotels are growing in numbers, and an effective soloution needs to be found.

ogryn

I remember reading on a board somewhere that Personal Transporters would take each guest (or group of guests) to their resort, you'd just call one up, tell it where to go and it would take you there, no stops.

Sounds cool, but highly UNLIKELY

imagineer99

Originally posted by Colin

This is an urban legend that boat/bus drivers love to tell guests. It is/was never true. :)

Nansafan

Nobody mentioned the highly rumored monorail transportation to/from the Orlando Airport yet, another much discussed topic on the boards.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Where does this stand at the mo? I thought legalities and red tape (not to mention Universal) were holding it up?

Interesting note - way back in the Spring 93 issue of Orlando airports magazine was an advert for Floridas Transrapid Maglev - quote `The 21st Century arrives in Orlando in 1996 aboard the worlds first flying train` Hmmmm...

Theres also the original WDW airport south of 192, the STOLport east of World Drive, and the -ahem- plans for the area west of the MK :lol: :lol: Oops - This thread may end in ground/air tranit!

MikeVarney

I believe Jeb Bush is trying to start a movement to have the Florida constitutional amendment passed a few years back mandating the gov't in Florida to build the rail system repealed, which would cancel the whole shebang.

One of the main contention spots was Disney wanted the train to run non-stop from the airport to Disney property. This would either leave International Drive (i.e. the HUGE Convention Center and related hotels) out of the picture, or necessitate a separate dedicated line to go directly to Disney, adding onto the cost.

I would think that Disney would hold off making any decisions regarding transportation at WDW until that all gets sorted out.

Personally, I think a monorail expansion is one of those things that will NEVER get done. It's not cost effective compared to busses.

-- M

se8472

really, once the cost of these monorails comes down, then might start to see them popping up around the resort.

Bill

Account Suspended
Just something to think about, if the FL High Speed Rail Project did go through, then it could easilly jumpstart WDW's monorail expansion. As I see it, unless this happens, we're not going to get any monorail expansion. And this is actually going against what my friend in WDI says. Jon said it would happen around 2008-2010. I don't believe it will ever happen unless the rail project goes through. Although I do believe it is in development in WDI.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Originally posted by se8472
really, once the cost of these monorails comes down, then might start to see them popping up around the resort.

I would love as much as anyone on this board to see the price drop, and for Monorials to do it all... however, the price of construction (not to mention foundations in Floridian soil) just keeps going up. What was the last estimate - something amazing like $1million per beam including support, foundation, power and a portion of the required new fleet? Anyone know the latest figure? At least WDW isn`t as bad as DLC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom