5 Night Double Dip Cruise on the Magic September 1st – 6th, 2008 Hurricanes/Tropical

Who: Myself, dh, ds13 and dd10
When: August 31st – September 6th
Planned Itinerary:
Sunday – Travel
Monday – Depart Port Canaveral
Tuesday – Castaway Cay
Wednesday – Nassau
Thursday – Sea Day
Friday – Castaway Cay
Saturday – Return Home

Room: Category 9

Background: We became DVC members back in November and this was going to be our first trip to our home resort AKL. Well when we planned the trip a few months beforehand, AKL was sold out so we had reservations at the Beach Club. I had also seen this cruise in the member’s book and we tried to book it. It was one of the few Disney cruises where the point conversion for DVC members was very reasonable. But alas it was sold out. I decided to keep trying though and after two months of calling every day, a month of calling every other day, and a week of calling every 3 days, we got a room!! It fit perfectly with our plane tickets so we switched. We only had about 3 ½ weeks before we left so we didn’t have much time to plan!

Day 1 – August 31st – Traveling to Port Canaveral

No pics today, sorry. I realized I didn’t take many here because I took the same ones last cruise!

We left our hotel in Newport at o’dark thirty in the morning. A hotel before our trip? Why, you ask? Because we had just moved all the way across the country from California to Rhode Island!! With several stops in between, we arrived in our new home, Newport, at about 6:00 the night before. I know, we’re crazy. But after a very long trip, including two car accidents within thirty minutes of each other the day before, we needed a break from reality! And cars for that matter!

But back to this trip.

We flew out of Providence at 8:30 in the morning. We had to fly to Chicago and then Orlando but our tickets were crazy cheap, so we weren’t complaining. The good news was we got an earlier flight out of Chicago and made it at 2:00 instead of 5:00.

After we got off the plane I realized I had no idea which car rental place I had used to reserve a car!! My very organized obsessive trip planner alternate identity self took a break this summer. There was too much going on and I spaced on some things! So everyone had a seat and I started calling companies. I found ours at Avis, and off to the counter we went. We had 7 bags (!!) and they gave us a PT cruiser type car. We squeezed in, and as Tim Gunn would say – we made it work!!

Off to Port Canaveral. Okay most of the drive was a blur because after the initial excitement of being in Orlando wore off, I fell asleep! I woke up as we were crossing the bridge to Port Canaveral. There was the Wonder waiting to set sail. A beautiful sight!

In Port Canaveral we stayed at the Radisson, where we had stayed before. A suite is $135 a night and worth every penny. There’s a ginormous hot tub in the bedroom. We checked in, and went for an early dinner since we missed lunch that day. We ate at Wendy’s (we were about to spend a week eating like Kings and we decided there was no need for a big meal tonight!), picked up some Dunkin Donuts for the morning, and headed back to the hotel.

We checked in on the hurricanes from the hotel internet. Gustav was clearly in the Gulf of Mexico by then but Hanna was headed right for the Bahamas!! Yikes! Okay, we chose to cruise during hurricane season so we couldn’t complain too much!

So we were off to the pool! The hotel has a beautiful pool. It was pretty crowded but the kids didn’t mind.

Then back to the room where the kids took turns bathing in the tub/Jacuzzi.
At 7:00 we headed down to the pool area for a meet and greet with some people from the DIS boards who were on our cruise. There was a huge thread there before our cruise. I think 175 cabins checked in. We signed up for a few things via that thread. The first was a meet and greet where we would get lanyards for us all to wear and keep our key to the world cards in. The people who made them did a great job and they were so handy to wear all week. Then we headed upstairs and settled in for the night.

Day 2 – September 1st - Boarding the Ship and Sailing Away

We woke up early to head to the port. Because we booked the cruise so late, all the online reservations for PALO were already taken. We knew if we were among the first to board we would be able to make one, so we were in a hurry. I also like to maximize my time on the ship!!

We left the room at 9:00 and DH dropped us off at the Port. One of the porters directed us to the part of the gate where the baggage guys would get our bags. We got behind one other family who was already waiting and settled in. Dh took the car back to the rental company and caught a shuttle back to the port. When he got back the line had grown to about 5 families. I walked around for a few pictures.

The terminal:
Day1012.jpg

The clock on the terminal:
Day1005.jpg

DCL Flag:
Day1006.jpg

Magic smokestack:
Day1015.jpg

When I got back a few people were dropped off right next to us and stood in front of us. That was when the line evaporated. As more and more people were dropped off the line became a blob. It was a little frustrating. There is officially no line, so we couldn’t say anything, but it was maddening to see our early rising and hot wait in the sun seemingly become irrelevant.

Some of us were more patient than others...:lookaroun
Day1003.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
After the gates are opened the baggage guys grab your bags and put them on baggage carts. Then you walk to the end of the gates to enter the terminal. A few minute before the baggage gate was opened I realized that I could go ahead to the terminal without the family. So when the gate was opened and they started letting people into the terminal, I left them and the bags and went to the terminal and through security. Yay for air conditioning!! After going through the metal detector and up the escalators I went right to the check in counters. At check in you are given a boarding group number and I was the last person to get in group 2. If I’m not mistaken, group 1 is reserved for concierge and VIP’s so I was thrilled to be in group 2. I checked in with no problems and right about then the rest of the family made it up the escalators. We got some seats and relaxed and went through our paperwork.

One of the first papers they gave us was a letter from the Captain informing us of a change in our itinerary. Because of Hanna we were going to go to Nassau on Thursday instead of Wednesday. Otherwise, no changes. It sounded too good to be true, but okay!

We registered dd10 for the kid’s club, than I walked around and took pictures of the inside of the terminal.

Ship Model:
Day1023.jpg

Window:
Day1032.jpg

Magic:
Day1028.jpg

Magic and Carnival (I think) ship:
Day1029.jpg

Ears Portal:
Day1024.jpg

Captain Mickey and Minnie both came out for pictures.
Minnie:
Day1019.jpg

Mickey:
Day1b002.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Finally they started calling numbers!! Group 1 took less than a minute and then group 2!!! We went through the mouse ears and stopped to have a family photo. Then we went up the gangplank. We walked into the atrium where we were asked our name for the announcement. They welcomed us on the microphone and all the cast members in the atrium applauded. It’s such a nice touch and I was about to bust with excitement at that point anyway. I almost cried. A cast member at the end of the greeting line stopped us to welcome us and answer any questions. We chatted for a moment and then went right to make our PALO reservations. We got dinner and brunch, exactly what we were looking for. We also put ourselves on the waiting list for early dinner seating which we also got.

Okay, off for our first meal!! This one was a buffet at Parrot Cay which is a fun island themed restaurant. We stuffed ourselves and then went up to the top deck. The kids wanted to swim and we had brought their swimsuits in our carry-ons so they were the first kids in the pool. You don’t get to swim by yourself in the ship pools very often! We relaxed in some lawn chairs and I took more pictures.

Goofy playing Foosball:
Day1b011.jpg

Pluto being Pluto:
Day1b039.jpg

Dd in Goofy pool:
Day1b014.jpg

Ds and dd in pool:
Day1b027.jpg

Ship pics:
Day1b017.jpg

Day1b031.jpg

Day1b028.jpg

Day1b035.jpg

Day2009.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
The rooms were open at 2:00 so we went to our room next. Some of our bags were there also, so we unpacked and settled in a little. At 3:30 we put on our life jackets and went to the safety drill. Then we got in some shuffleboard.

Day1b048.jpg

Day1b049.jpg

Next was the sailaway party with lots of confetti, characters and dancing. How could you go wrong?

Day1b045.jpg

Terminal while sailing away:
Day1b051.jpg

Day1b052.jpg

The kids went off to check out Ocean Quest a kid’s area while we unpacked some more and got ready for dinner. Our first dinner was at Lumieres.

Rose on ceiling at Lumieres:
Day1b055.jpg

We met our servers Okim and Francesca. They were wonderful. They treated us like royalty all week. Dinner was delicious, and then we went to see a family game show called Mickey Mania. Next was the “Welcome Aboard” show in the Walt Disney Theater. It was excellent as always.

Day1b059.jpg

Day1b061.jpg

Day1b064.jpg

We stopped by the excursion desk afterwards to book the getaway package at Castaway Cay. It includes snorkeling equipment, bikes, and floats. Now no one, even the cm at the excursion desk, was sure that we would make it to CC the next day, but we wanted to be prepared anyway. Afterwards the kids went to the kid’s clubs and we finished unpacking. Our room had been turned down and the next day’s Navigator (schedule) was waiting for us.

And of course a towel animal:
Day2f005.jpg

The boat was rocking quite a bit by then, so I took another Dramamine and went to bed.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Day 3 – September 2nd – Castway Cay

Well we made it!! We woke up and we were docking at Castaway Cay. Let me tell you we could not believe it. Our first Disney cruise we did not make it into Castaway Cay because of high winds. This time with Hanna headed right for the Bahamas, we were pretty sure we were not going to make it again.

But we did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope, all those exclamation points don’t even begin to describe my relief and excitement to finally visit Disney’s infamous private island. Let me tell you it was worth the wait.

We woke up the kids with a view of the Flying Dutchman right outside our window. We got dressed and went upstairs to the breakfast buffet. Then we were off!

This island is beautiful. Just beautiful. Pictures can not do it justice.

Flying Dutchman:
Day2017.jpg

More CC:
Day2021.jpg

Day2025.jpg

Day2022.jpg

We walked all the way past the main part of the family beach to another part of the beach right next to the stingray excursion. We grabbed a hammock and some chairs and had the beach pretty much to ourselves for a while. We lathered up on suntan lotion and got in the water.

Day2042.jpg

After a little while we went and got our snorkeling equipment. The kids got the hang of it pretty quickly and we snorkeled in our little beach for a little while.

Dh, ds and dd:
Day2b011.jpg

From our beach we could see some of the stingrays in the enclosed area next to us.
Day2b019.jpg

Then we decided to head to the big beach for the snorkeling area there. It was great. We found a submerged Minnie statue (Mickey was on vacation apparently), a submarine, canons, tons of fish, it was just amazing. I would have loved an underwater camera at that point. Hindsight, you know.
After we snorkeled for about an hour and a half, we were starving. We were some of the first people in line at Cookie’s barbecue. The food was excellent and the soft serve chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream was to die for. The kids watched some crab races and we shopped a little.

We got our inner tubes next and I floated around while dh lay in the hammock and the kids snorkeled some more.
Day2033.jpg

We swam out to the giant playground area in the family beach and the kids played. Then we went for a bike ride down to the adult beach and the observation tower.

We still weren’t ready to leave and got back in the water again afterwards. I was standing close to dd in about 2 feet of water when I saw something large and grey in the water next to us. I got her shoulders and pulled her close to me because I knew whatever it was would freak her out! My heart skipped a couple of beats until a lady a few feet away yelled “it’s a stingray!” Phew!! Dd, as expected, got out of the water immediately!! Ds, dh and I all got our snorkel equipment on to try and find him again! He swam around a couple more times but we kept missing him.

Finally we decided to leave Paradise and go get ready for dinner.
Getting back on board:
Day2b027.jpg

Donald greeting us:
Day2b028.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
We checked the news when we got back, and Hanna was still headed for the Bahamas. There was no way we would make Nassau on Thursday.
We made it back to the ship in time for a DVC member’s welcome party and I won a DVC cooler.

Dinner tonight was in Animator’s Palate. If you haven’t heard of this restaurant, it’s a restaurant in true Disney fashion. The entire restaurant is black and white, even the waiter’s uniforms. As you eat the room is transformed into brilliant color. Even the uniforms!

Here’s some pics that ds took:
Day2b030.jpg

Day2b032.jpg

Day2b035.jpg

Day2b036.jpg

Day2c001.jpg

While we were eating the captain came on the speakers and informed us that we were going to Nassau on our originally scheduled day, tomorrow!! Yay!!

Now unfortunately I was not a good sunbather at CC and did not reapply sunscreen during the day. Well I was fried. My back, which was floating in the sun all day, was like a lobster. Dd’s swim shirt had ridden up in the back while she was snorkeling and a small part of her back was really burned too. That put a damper on any sun plans for the next day.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
After dinner the kids went to pin trading in the atrium, and then we went to a family cabaret show, a comedian Danny Buckler who was quite funny. The main show for tonight was “The Golden Mickey’s”. It’s a great show, with clips from many Disney favorites. Disney does such an excellent job with their nightly shows. They are really Broadway quality shows.

Day2c007.jpg

Day2c010.jpg

Day2c014.jpg

Day2d002.jpg

Day2d003.jpg

Day2f004.jpg

After the show the kids went to the kid’s club and we headed back to the room. The kids came in at midnight exhausted and happy.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Day 4 – September 3rd – Nassau

Wow, we made it to Nassau too!! Was this trip of ours really going to stay on schedule?

We had ordered room service for breakfast. It was yummy and convenient.

Beautiful day again.

Magic in Nassau:
CruiseDay3007.jpg

CruiseDay3b013.jpg

In our very limited amount of planning time, we learned something very valuable from message boards. Disney has a few excursions to the mega resort Atlantis. Most do not include the aquarium, pools, or water park at Atlantis. The one that does costs $165 per person!! We learned that we could book a room at Comfort Suites across the street and enjoy everything Atlantis has to offer. I booked a room for $135. Now through all our itinerary changes, I had moved nights, cancelled outright, then reinstated and moved nights back!! Comfort Suites was really great about it though and nothing was ever a problem.

So we got off the ship as soon as we could, caught a cab to Comfort Suites and then checked in and out. We paid and walked over to Atlantis where we got towels and wristbands allowing us full access. This resort is wow wow wow. There must have been 30 swimming pools. The aquariums were awesome! The beaches were beautiful and the water park was so much fun. I highly recommend it all.

Here’s some pics:

CruiseDay3018.jpg

CruiseDay3009.jpg

CruiseDay3011.jpg

CruiseDay3015.jpg

CruiseDay3016.jpg

CruiseDay3019.jpg

CruiseDay3021.jpg

CruiseDay3022.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Dd and ds getting ready to race:
CruiseDay3027.jpg

We needed to get out of the sun fairly early today though so we headed back to the ship for a late lunch around 2:00. Then we all showered and I went off the ship again to check out the straw market.

Dh and Ds returning to the ship:
CruiseDay3b011.jpg

When I got back on board with a few purchases, we went up on deck for another sailaway party.
CruiseDay3b022.jpg

Nassau as we leave:
CruiseDay3b027.jpg

CruiseDay3b026.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Next we got ready for pirate night!
The kids had the spirit:
CruiseDay3b042.jpg

First we waited in a giant line for Pirate Mickey:
CruiseDay3b031.jpg

Then we ate a pirate themed dinner at Animators Palate. Ally told Okim she didn’t want dessert so this is what she got:
CruiseDay3b047.jpg

After dinner we rushed to pin trading in the atrium again and then to the nightly show. Tonight was a comedian whom we recognized from “Last Comic Standing” by the name of Heath Hyche. He was quite hysterical. The kids loved him too. After the show we headed up on deck for the pirate show. Mickey came off the stack!!
CruiseDay3b055.jpg

CruiseDay3b064.jpg

and then fireworks!! The fireworks were awesome.

I took a couple of night pics:
CruiseDay3b071.jpg

CruiseDay3b066.jpg

and finally we visited the 10:30 pirate buffet but we were too full to eat much.

Towel elephant tonight:
CruiseDay3b052.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Day 5 – September 4th – Sea Day

Today we were scheduled for a sea day. We were all thrilled to be able to sleep in. Dh and I had brunch reservations at PALO at 10:30 so we ordered the kids room service and woke them up about 10:00. They both ate and headed off to the kids clubs.

Brunch was absolutely delicious and PALO is just gorgeous.
IMG_1937.jpg

CruiseDay3b016.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

After brunch I had signed up for a scrapbooking class on the DIS and we met in Animators for that. It was a cute book and I’m glad I took the time to do it. Thanks to Linda from the DIS for doing it.

The kids got some pizza on deck and brought it down to the movie theater to eat lunch and watch “College Road Trip”. Dd took full advantage of all the movies being shown.

After scrapbooking I got to go see the Roy Disney Suite. Someone on the DIS was staying in it with another couple and had a wine and cheese meet and greet there. It was just beautiful!! A hallway, living room, library, dining room, laundry room, two bedrooms and two bathrooms. Wow. I think my entire room would fit in the bathroom!

The show for today was “Twice Charmed”. This is a new show for us, a story of what might have happened if the stepsister’s had stopped Cinderella from trying on the glass slipper. It was very very cute. Probably our favorite show.

IMG_1950.jpg

IMG_1956.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1962.jpg

IMG_1963.jpg

IMG_1965.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Dd wanted to watch “High School Musical 2” from the swimming pool so we went up on deck while she swam. Ds went back to the kid’s club.
IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

Tonight was formal night so we got all dressed up. It was fun! Since we were so limited on planning time for this cruise, I didn’t have time to find the kids formal wear, so we went to PALO and they ate with the kid’s clubs and room service. We had a picture made that I bought but the scanner is broken so I can’t show it to you. I asked a man to take our picture for us but unfortunately he only got our faces. You’ll just have to trust me when I say we looked good!!!:lookaroun :lol:

IMG_1978.jpg

PALO for dinner is amazing. The waiters are not happy bringing you only one entrée or dessert. We had so many courses and so much food it was crazy.
We were sailing back to Castaway Cay in rough waters tonight so the ship was really rocking. We all took some Dramamine and felt fine.

After dinner we met the kids for a magic show. Then we went with dd to see Wall E in the theater. This was dh’s third time to see it and he fell asleep and headed back to the room. Dd went back to the kid’s club afterwards and I went to see Heath Hyche in one of the adult clubs. He was so so funny again. I was a little afraid that since he was not restricted by kids in the audience it might be a little too crude for my taste, but no he was great.
We went to a family game show called “Who Wants to be a Mousketeer” afterwards. It was really cute but we didn’t get chosen.

There was a dessert buffet 11:15 but the line was huge and I was too stuffed from PALO to even go look! The kids showed up at midnight and ds asked to go back to the club until 1:00.

Adorable Monkey towel was waiting for us:
IMG_1990.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Day 6 – September 5th – Castaway Cay

Or not!

Nope we didn’t make it back again. We woke up to 20-30 foot waves. The ship was actually pretty stable for seas that big.

It’s hard to tell how big the seas were from pics but I’ll try.
IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_2007.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

We obviously weren’t feeling bad: :lol:
IMG_2009.jpg

We were planning on swimming with sting rays today, but it seems a change of plans was in order! We let the kids sleep in.
By 9:00 or so they announced that we would not make it. So they printed up new Navigators for us, with a day full of new activities.

Here was a character dance party:
IMG_2021.jpg

IMG_2024.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
The kids spent most of the day in the kids clubs. We wandered, relaxed, watched a character show, and more. We had our pictures made with Captain Jack:
IMG_2005.jpg

We almost went to Bingo because the jackpot was up past $4000!! But the cards were really expensive so we decided to pass.

Lunch was a steak buffet in Parrot Cay.

At 2:30 we decided to go to the matinee showing of “Disney Dreams”. This is an amazing show that has won many awards. It was great.
Tonight was our final dinner and it was in Parrot Cay. We thanked our wonderful servers and enjoyed our last huge dinner. Ds took off for the kid’s club for the rest of the night. Dd wanted us to go to “Who Wants to be a Mousketeer “ again so we did. Then she went and watched “Prince Caspian” in the movie theater. We went and packed all our bags to have them outside our door by 11:00. At 10:00 we went to see the character goodbye in the atrium.

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

IMG_2096.jpg

The kids were both in by midnight when the clubs closed, and we were rocked to sleep.

Snake towel tonight:
IMG_2089.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Day 7 – September 6th – Disembark, Downtown Disney, and Fly home

Ahh, goodbye to Disney day. It’s such a sad day!!
We did not go to our scheduled breakfast at 6:45!! And instead slept till 7:15, packed up our carry ons and took everything up to the buffet at 8:00. We ate a relaxing breakfast on deck and then disembarked. Finding our luggage took a few minutes but getting through customs was no biggie.
We caught a shuttle to get a rental car and then squeezed our now 8 bags into a small car! But we made it. We got to Downtown Disney about 10:30 and shopped and ate lunch at Earl of Sandwich. It is such a slap of reality to pay for food!!

CruiseDay5007.jpg

We shopped till about 2:00 and then we headed to the airport for the long flight home. Well not home as much as another hotel for a few more days!

A few more pics around the ship:
Glass sculpture in lobby:
CruiseDay3b028.jpg

Atrium:
IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2063.jpg

Sunset:
IMG_2085.jpg

Final Observations:
Dh and my favorite – Castaway Cay. A dream finally come true.
Ds’s favorite – Pizza and ice cream on demand. I shudder to think how much he actually ate!! Our servers were worried about him because he didn’t eat much at dinner, but they didn’t realize how much he’d been eating all day!!
Dd’s favorite – Room service and movies. That child ordered room service every chance she got. We kept coming back to the room to change and we’d find her sitting there eating a hot dog and fries from room service. We brought 30 one dollar bills to tip the room service waiters and she made it a personal goal to use all of them. She also loved all the movies. She saw one everytime she could fit it in to her very busy schedule.

If you’ve never done a Disney Cruise…do it!! Yep they’re expensive but worth every penny. Don’t forget how much that price includes too!! Do it. It’s amazing. We just sailed around three hurricanes and still had a wonderful time. Do it!

mickey's mamu

WOW! Great report! I've always been curious about a Disney Cruise but yours is the first firsthand report I've read. I love cruising so as soon as the grandkids are a little older we're sailing. Great pictures too. Thanks for sharing.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
WOW! Great report! I've always been curious about a Disney Cruise but yours is the first firsthand report I've read. I love cruising so as soon as the grandkids are a little older we're sailing. Great pictures too. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Mickey's mamu! I put in so many details exactly for people like you who were wondering about the cruise. :)

HollyBelle

What a wonderful report, and beautiful family! The pictures are great, too. You've convinced me that a Disney cruise is a must for us.

I look forward to seeing some of your cruise layouts pop up in the scrapbook forum!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom