I took my kids to WDW by myself...and survived!

Well, my husband is in Afghanistan sniping terrorists right now, but I wasn't about to let that stop me from another visit with Mickey Mouse. :D Though I've gone to Disney a zillion times without him, I've always been accompanied by my parents or some friends or random relatives, and I've never been outnumbered by my children at a theme park before. I was very, very nervous about taking this trip. It meant driving a 4 and 6 year old 11 hours south, and navigating through 8 theme parks with them in the 95 degree weather, singlehandedly, without losing either of them. :lookaroun

But surprisingly, this ended up being one of the most fun, relaxing, stress-free trips I've ever taken. I enjoyed all the perks of taking a solo trip...I got to choose everything we did, never had to wait for anyone to look through the gift shops or go potty or make pressed pennies or wait in line for a soda every hour or anything like that, and never had to debate what to do next. See, the best thing about little kids is they just happily follow you around without their own agenda and think all the decisions you make are wonderful. So not only did I have a nearly equal amount of freedom as someone traveling solo, but I also had the company of my kids to fill in all the down time with magic and hilarity. I mean I had to skip Space Mountain, Everest, Tower of Terror, and all of that because they were with me, but it was so worth it.

June 11-13: GETTING THERE

As usual, this trip had to start off with some obstacles. I guess Mickey really needs me to prove my love for him before he'll accept me into his kingdom. In the last couple years I've had my van quit on me on the way to Florida TWO TIMES leaving us with an unexpected rental car. I was determined to make it to Florida this time without any van issues, so I actually bought a newer, much nicer van before the trip LOL. Well of course, 2 days before we left my new van broke down! But thank the Lord Almighty it only ended up needing a new battery. So I got my battery replaced, got an oil change, had the tires rotated, and had a mechanic look over the van and confirm that it was in good, working condition so that I wouldn't have to stress over it at all.

So Thursday at 5:30 PM, 13 hours before we were due to leave, I took my dog to the kennel thinking everything was fine because the van was running great. I chose a different kennel this time than I normally use because this one was much more convenient. Well I got the dog there a couple minutes before they closed and they informed me that her shot record was not good enough! Apparently she was supposed to get one of her vaccines when she was 14 weeks old and instead had it when she was 13.5 weeks old. So they refused to board the dog unless I got her that shot again! Thankfully there was an emergency vet around the corner and I was able to run her over there and get her the shot without much of a wait ($60 - cha ching) and run her back to the kennel just as they were closing. I was really unhappy that the start of her stay at a new place had to be so stressful and scary for her, but I was even more unhappy that this messing around caused us to miss 95% of my son's t-ball game. GRRRR.

Anyway, I couldn't believe it but we finally made it out the door at 6:30 the next morning and headed to Florida. The drive down was flawless, the kids behaved, and we made great time. We exchanged our time share and stayed at Silver Lake Resort, which is literally right next to Animal Kingdom. I timed the drive to Animal Kingdom Lodge one night and we were there in under 2 minutes, most of which was a stop light. The condo was really nice and the perfect size for the 3 of us, with a big old plasma TV on the wall and a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom.

317198039_PMqcF-M.jpg

By the time I finished unpacking everything I had reached that point of hunger where I could not think of anything to feel satisfied. So the kids and I drove up and down 192 for about 15 minutes, and even got on the list at Red Lobster for a while before I changed my mind and decided I didn't feel like eating out. :lol: So we went to Publix and bought a bunch of groceries and I ate a sub from the deli for dinner while the kids had lunchables at about 9:00 at night. Good enough! :lol:

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
June 14: SEA WORLD

I was nervous about navigating Disney with the kids by myself, so I decided to start the trip off at Sea World for practice since we got in for free because of Anheiser-Busch's Hero Salute program. Well, the day didn't end up being difficult at all because fellow forum member Steve (scorp111) and his family were there too and we all spent the whole day together. Steve's daughter, Anna, is only a couple days younger than my daughter, Abby, and they were BFF's at first sight. It was so funny. They were holding hands and hugging pretty much every second of the entire day.

317203892_w5APN-M.jpg

317204288_DB6nw-M.jpg

Despite the miserable heat, we all had a wonderful time, and Shamu even helped to cool us off a little (we picked the SOAK ZONE for the show lol).

317206734_VfeBY-M.jpg

Steve didn't think he would be able to keep up with my commando schedule, but he hung in there just fine. :lol: I was glad to have him around because I otherwise would have been completely lost. In fact, the one time he left his wife and me to our own devices while he grabbed some drinks we DID get lost and almost missed a show. :lol: It's a good thing we made it...otherwise I'd have missed out on seeing dripping wet men in tight clothes surfing on dolphins. :lookaroun

317215753_3K6Wu-M.jpg

317214169_fDGkb-M.jpg

Oh and...

317224573_iUdxs-M.jpg

:lookaroun

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
June 15: UNIVERSAL

The next day I was feeling adventurous so I decided to go to Islands of Adventure to get some of the adventurousness out of my system. No, actually I planned it like 2 months ahead of time when I spent $100 on Universal Express Plus passes for that day so we wouldn't have to wait in any friggin crazy Universal Studios lines. Rain (rainfully) came too, though without a poncho necklace (long story). It was so great having those plus passes and not waiting in any lines at all. We did just about everything at both Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios in 11 hours.

Except this of course...

317225315_2fNDG-M.jpg

And this...

317225738_7Db2f-M.jpg

Because even though it was blasted hot outside, there was no way in heck Dylan was gonna go on those rides. :lol: We also didn't go on Popeye because we didn't want to be stuck with wet underwear all day long, but that actually didn't work out so great for Rain in the end. :lookaroun

We DID get to watch a baby dinosaur hatch though, at the....

317228238_X4uZ6-M.jpg

Dylan was given the honor of naming the baby dino. And he named it "meow". :lookaroun

317226504_7mbMQ-M.jpg

Something new I got to experience was Poseidon's Fury. For some reason I've always skipped it in the past. But OMG I loved it! It was so awesome!!! Abby hated the whole thing and was mad at me for like 5 minutes afterwards. But she got over it quickly when we walked into Dr. Seuss land and saw this special creature:

317229636_Z5zvR-M.jpg

And this creature:

317231316_WKTcH-M.jpg

We also rode One Fish, Two Fish and the whole "staying dry" thing went out the window at that time. And before heading to Universal Studios we had lunch at one of those Seussly places where Rain and I ate bread sandwiches with a smattering of chicken on them. But seriously, overall Islands of Adventure SO TOTALLY ROCKS DUDE! (Sorry, too much Crush this week). It blows Disney's level of theming out of the water.

The rest of the day we spent at Universal and I LOVED the new attractions. I thought the Simpsons ride was hysterical and I was dying laughing just waiting in the line because all of the pre-shows are so funny. The ride itself felt very realistic and was way better than Back to the Future. They've also improved the Earthquake ride (now Disaster) a million percent. The new pre-shows for that (and the post-show) were great...especially the very end!

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
June 16: EPCOT

Finally on the 3rd day of our vacation I actually took the kids to a park by myself. We did Living with the Land, Finding Nemo, Turtle Talk, Figment, and Honey I Bored the Audience all by 11:30. I definitely recommend doing Nemo before 10 a.m. as there wasn't any wait at all. Then we had lunch at Garden Grill, which is my favorite place in the whole wide world. But it ended up being a big disappointment because it was broken and not rotating, which is the whole fun of it. :(

But Abby did get to "kiss Mickey's nose" which was her goal of the entire trip as it was the one thing her preschool teacher requested a picture of before we left. :lol:

317233370_k443W-M.jpg

Also, at some point during lunch Dylan looked at his cup and said very sternly "I WANT A NINTENDO DS". I was wondering what the heck he was talking about and then he pointed to his cup and said "If I don't get a DS then THIS IS A LIE!" and he was pointing to the line on the cup that said "Walt Disney World...where dreams come true". :lol:

After lunch we did everything else in Future World except Test Track (because Dylan hates it) and Circle of Life & Innoventions (just cuz we didn't) and then we went back to the condo to chill out for a while. To save $25, we ate cereal for dinner at the condo, which was perfectly fine. :lookaroun

Then we went back in the evening to ride the 2 boat rides and see IllumiNations. We had a fastpass to ride Soarin' again at 8:00, and we attempted to, but the fastpass line was like 40 minutes long! So we waited in line until 8:30 and then had to jump out because I didn't want to miss out on a good fireworks spot. Abby was NOT happy about this and proceeded to scream at the top of her lungs "I WANT TO RIDE SOARIN" all the way from Future World to France with everyone staring at me, the horrible parent who should never bring her miserable kid to Disney World ever again!!!!! :lookaroun As soon as we stopped in France I handed her a bottle of water and she immediately stopped crying and said "all I wanted was a drink". *shrug* :lol:

317237295_zWz9x-M.jpg

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
June 17: TYPHOON LAGOON

On Tuesday we spent most of the day at Typhoon Lagoon, again with Rain (ok so I didn't spend much of this trip alone really LOL). We mostly just went around the lazy river a million times and I have nothing terribly interesting to report about this, nor do I have any photos of myself strutting around in my bathing suit. Soooo I guess we'll just move on now...

June 17b: MAGIC KINGDOM

That evening we had dinner at Boma, which was a wicked long 2 minute drive from the Condo. As usual, I ate Mac N Cheese and 571 desserts. Then we went over to Magic Kingdom to try for the TRIPLE MOUNTAIN WHAMMY. I knew it wasn't gonna happen because Dylan hates anything that moves faster than a hover-round, but he made a valiant attempt. Even though he did it before a year ago and loved it, he somehow convinced himself that Splash Mountain is terrifying, so I spent the last 3 months talking him into riding it again. I got him to go on it this time and he enjoyed most of it, but decided when it was finished that it was much too dangerous to ever even think about riding another time. Next, he adamantly disagreed with my suggestion of riding Thunder Mountain, but after a little bit of gift shop bribery he gave in.

I'm so glad I got him to go on it because he LOVED it. Like Splash Mt, he went on it a year ago and was fine with it, but then forgot how much he liked it, but I mean this time he really, really loved it. But even after that, there just wasn't any way in heck he was gonna go on Space Mountain, so we just had to settle for the DOUBLE MOUNTAIN WHAMMY. :lol:

317238335_rfZoR-M.jpg

Then we saw SpectroMagic and Wishes and went to bed very, VERY late, and I had to give in to the idea that we wouldn't be at Magic Kingdom by 8:45 a.m. the next day lol.

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
June 18: MAGIC KINGDOM

Wednesday morning, there was only one thing on Dylan and Abby's minds. They wanted to ride Thunder Mountain again - many times. We fastpassed it once, but then after that I told them they'd need to wait until fireworks time to ride it again because it was dayum hot outside and I didn't feel like wading around in the sweat swamp queue at 40 minutes a pop.

317242625_e79jW-M.jpg

So then we did everything else at Magic Kingdom for the rest of the day and really didn't wait over 5-10 minutes for anything due to my line-avoiding expertise. :lookaroun

Now for some highlights of the morning...

We successfully got Abby on Cinderella's horsey (note the gold ribbon on the tail):
317243906_b4nUb-M.jpg

(the boy was fine with just riding a regular horse)
317244322_XB9QJ-M.jpg

We saw these really nice guys who asked if they could get a picture with my kids:
317245666_iRPZC-M.jpg

We enjoyed the new zoo exhibit
317246175_Rw65q-M.jpg

And I very nearly killed a woman at the afternoon parade
317246525_nHnC8-M.jpg

Yeah, so you know how everyone always posts all these outrageous stories about the insane people they encounter in Disney? I have NEVER had anything like that happen to me before...until this trip.

At 2:30 we went to the Sunshine Tree Terrace to get some ice cream for the parade. We found a big open spot by the rope with plenty of room on either side of us and sat down to eat our ice cream. As you can see from the picture above, there was probably 2 feet of room on both sides of where Dylan was sitting. Then there was this horrible family on the left side of us. They had a little boy about 4 years old who was being very careless. Dylan was eating his ice cream which was sitting on the ground in front of him, and the boy kept getting out of his stroller and walking all over Dylan and nearly stepping in his ice cream over and over again. I had to keep holding my arm up to block the boy from planting his foot right in Dylan's food! Every couple minutes the dad would haphazardly say "son, don't kick his ice cream" without really enforcing it or caring what was happening. After about 10 minutes of me fighting with this kid he finally sat down so that Dylan could finish eating. We thought we were done dealing with them at that point, but no, it got worse.

So we're just sitting there stretched out in our nice open space on the concrete waiting for the parade to begin, with plenty of room around us still, and all of a sudden the mom of the annoying boy arrives, carrying 3 ice creams. The ice creams she was holding were not just dripping, but POURING all over the place. Instead of having her kids eat their ice cream in their own spots, she actually makes her daughter move over so that she's standing directly in front of Dylan, which was difficult seeing as he was sitting right by the rope. I guess the mom didn't want the girl to make an ice cream mess in her own spot and preferred her to make a mess all over Dylan's spot. Then the lady passes the ice cream to the girl right over our heads, which is seriously pouring out all over the place. So I grabbed Dylan and we had to quickly dive out of the way so as not to have ice cream dumped on our heads. The way the mother was regarding us, we may as well have been ants on the ground. It was like we didn't even exist! So then the mom and the girl are making a huge, disgusting ice cream soup mess all over the spots we were sitting in, and the girl is standing where Dylan was sitting so that Dylan could not see anything except the back of her legs. So I look at the lady and I said "she IS going to move back over where she was before the parade starts so that my son can see, right?" and the lady says in in the most snotty voice imaginable "well, I don't think so seeing as we were here first!" (!!!!!) And I said really loudly, "Actually, HE has been sitting here the entire time and we only just moved because you were dumping ice cream all over us!" and then the dad finally notices what was going on and tells the little girl to move back over to where she was originally sitting. Of course now our spots are covered in melted ice cream, so I had to spent the rest of the time before the parade cleaning it all up so that we could sit down. Oooooh I was so furious!!!

Of course I didn't get to see any of the parade anyway, because as soon as it started this "foreign" lady shoved her 2 little kids in front of me, and actually one of them was sitting on top of me!! I kept glaring at the mother so that she'd get them off me and she just kept encouraging to move in front of me even more. I HATE PEOPLE AT PARADES!!

Anyway, moving on now to better things.... :lookaroun

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
Now this moment of the trip deserves its own post. (Well, that and Steve's picture limits and stuff.) It took 4 years and 9 trips to accomplish this, but I finally got both of my kids to smile in a picture in front of the castle!!!!!!!!!!!!

317240278_29cTi-L.jpg

Here's the failures from past trips
56027732-S.jpg
56027733-S.jpg
56027735-S.jpg
56027737-S.jpg

56027730-S.jpg
70249643-S.jpg
163270760-S.jpg
225381635-S.jpg

Oh and thanks to a nice photopass photographer, here is some evidence that I actually went on this vacation:
317240674_W8QUs-M.jpg

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
317248949_gBGqs-M.jpg

By the way, that's our Pal Mickey that keeps appearing in almost every picture. We bought it right after they first came out and the kids are just now finally old enough to care about it.

We had dinner that night at the Plaza. I don't know why we don't eat there more often. For a full dinner and dessert it was only $35 after gratuity, compared to the $27 it cost us to eat lunch at Pinocchios. Definitely worth the extra couple bucks.

After dinner Abby took this funny picture of my hair flying all over the place on TTA. I can't believe I'm posting it. :lol:

317250158_Wyxfv-M.jpg

317249906_PkS9E-M.jpg

Space Mountain had the lights on

317250456_ytCmg-M.jpg

317251062_9avUx-M.jpg

A big storm rolled in that evening. It only rained for about an hour, but the scary clouds were freaking me out!

317255660_EvpUZ-M.jpg

317256844_6EJCu-M.jpg

317257812_2XMAc-M.jpg

By 10 pm I could not believe that Dylan still had the energy to keep walking. But both the kids wanted nothing more than to ride Thunder Mountain, so that's where we headed. Since everyone was at the fireworks we were able to ride it over and over again without a wait. It was so awesome because while we were riding the fireworks were going off over the mountain. It was definitely the most magical few minutes of the trip. After one of the rides I took advantage of the "flashes" from the fireworks and got this neat picture of Thunder Mountain lit up by the Wishes finale.

317262245_kyhJ4-M.jpg

On the way out we went shopping and watched Spectromagic again in front of the Barber Shop. At one point an entire family took out cigarettes and began smoking them right there on the sidewalk! So I had to grab one of the parade control people and get them to tell the family to stop smoking. The 10 minutes of breathing it in made me nauseous for the rest of the night though. I really appreciated that. grr.

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
June 19 - STUDIOS

Thursday was our Studios day, which didn't take long since we were skipping TOT and RNR. :lol: The Midway Mania line was nuts so we got fastpasses for several hours later and did everything else worth doing in the meantime.

Indiana Jones was crazy! It took us THREE attempts to get into the show, and that's with us showing up 30 minutes before show time. After 2 unsuccessful tries I had to go the fastpass route, and we still had to arrive 45 minutes before the show to get a decent seat. The only reason we went through all of that was because the kids wanted an Indiana Jones autograph in their books. And wouldn't you know it - Indy shut his eyes for the picture!

317265051_7gskQ-M.jpg

Thursday felt like the hottest day of the whole trip. I was still really sunburned from the Typhoon Lagoon day and anytime the sun touched me it felt like needles piercing me all over my body. The heat was just plain stifling. Walking from One Man's Dream to Indiana Jones nearly killed me. Just sitting there in the stadium waiting for the show to start I thought I was going to lose it. I couldn't catch my breath and started feeling really out of it and was having trouble putting words together. The kids kept trying to talk to me and I couldn't even respond to them LOL. We sat there for over an hour and it wasn't until the show was almost over that I finally started feeling ok again. I have never been that overheated in my life.

Walking by this was just a big tease!
317263211_Gt8dF-M.jpg

Anyway, we had lunch at 50's Prime Time and while there I noticed that my main camera lens was broken. The inside of it somehow became cocked a little bit and stuck at a weird angle and there was no way to zoom in and out or turn the focus ring. I spent half of my lunch slamming my camera lens on the table trying to pop it back into place, but it didn't help. Luckily I brought 2 other lenses, but they are more specialty lenses so I had no way to take a normal picture for the rest of the trip. Good thing I only had 1 day to go lol.

At some point that day I had another one of those "I can't believe that just happened" moments. This family was walking behind us and the lady in the group was yelling at this little girl who looked about 8 years old. Whatever she was yelling contained a lot of the F word so I gave her a "knock it off" sort of look, since we do NOT use that sort of language in my house and I prefer my kids not listen to it. Well when I looked back the lady slapped the 8 year old really hard and and sent her flying across the sidewalk while yelling "YOU ARE SUCH A F-ING R-TRD". I actually gasped when I saw that and the lady looked at me and started laughing hysterically and yelled "I DONT GIVE A F---!!!" in a really threatening tone. She had this 'too cool for school' type of attitude and I would have liked to give her a piece of my mind, but for the sake of preserving a magical vacation for my kids I just got away from her quick.

Midway Mania was unbelievable. I loved it so much and I look forward to future trips when the line isn't so crazy so that we can ride it more than once. The queue was so neat and I wish my lens was functioning so I could have gotten some pictures. The kids would have liked it a lot, except the Cast Member who loaded us onto the vehicles screwed up, IMO. This was my first time riding so I had no idea how it worked, and I told him I'd ride in one car and the kids would ride in another, but I wanted to be able to see them the whole time, because Dylan gets really freaked out if he loses sight of me. Well he loaded us in 2 cars that were not in view of each other a single time through the entire ride so Dylan was terrified and cried through the whole thing because he didn't know where I was. I felt so bad for him, but there wasn't really anything I could have done. At least we know better for next time.

Thursday night we ate the best dinner of my life at Kona Cafe. I had the chicken as usual, which is the best chicken in the whole frickin world, and for dessert I had this chocolate brownie type thing filled with more melted chocolate and covered with raspberries. Oh, and then there's that pineapple sweet bread - mmmmm. I <3 Kona.

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
June 20 - ANIMAL KINGDOM

Friday (yesterday actually) was the last day of our vacation and we spent it at Animal Kingdom. It was another unbelievably hot day, but at least there's shade there unlike the Studios. I was able to meet up with Caroline (ksccar) and her husband a few times and they were very nice. :) Rain also came by for a few hours. This picture is for her. :lookaroun

317269720_oYVH7-M.jpg

Some random "bored while waiting for the parade" pictures

317272087_mZ45R-M.jpg

317273064_Y7936-M.jpg

By the way, how come Brer Rabbit is in the AK parade and not the MK parade?

317278805_thNnW-M.jpg

Our last attraction of the vacation was Finding Nemo. I noticed that almost all the performers were different this time.

317280938_ofRxL-M.jpg

After Nemo we planned to get into the van and start the drive to Georgia, where we'd spend the night. The only problem was, we exited Nemo into a torrential downpour. By the time we reached the van we were soaked to the bone. So we had to sit in the parking lot for quite a while and change all of our clothes in the van. I was not brave enough though to change my underwear in the parking lot, so I drove all the way to Georgia with soaked undies. :lol: I suppose this was my payback for soaking Rain's underwear at Universal Studios. And yes, I realize I did not explain that at all, but it's funnier when I don't. :lookaroun

Anyway, I've been typing for long enough and if you made it this far you're probably sick of reading so I need to go to bed. :lol:

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
By the way, the dog was happy to see us when we got home, but not so happy to see all the presents we got her. :lookaroun

317333877_jgZfk-M.jpg

317334326_fznkJ-M.jpg

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
Air conditioning.....

not that I know what you're talking about....:lookaroun

There was definitely not any air conditioning there. It was miserable. :lol:

That picture was 'specially for Monty. :D

Maybe Steve got some better angles. :lookaroun

CAPTAIN HOOK

It meant driving a 4 and 6 year old 11 hours south, and navigating through 8 theme parks with them in the 95 degree weather, singlehandedly, without losing either of them. :lookaroun

And you thought hubby had it tough in Afganistan :ROFLOL:

Nice report - thanks for sharing your trip

lilclerk

Also, at some point during lunch Dylan looked at his cup and said very sternly "I WANT A NINTENDO DS". I was wondering what the heck he was talking about and then he pointed to his cup and said "If I don't get a DS then THIS IS A LIE!" and he was pointing to the line on the cup that said "Walt Disney World...where dreams come true".
That's hysterical :ROFLOL:

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
There was definitely not any air conditioning there. It was miserable. :lol:

That picture was 'specially for Monty. :D

Maybe Steve got some better angles. :lookaroun

Is Monty still at that conference....we could probably go a long way with this one.....

....discussions of "Bird in the hand....." and all.....:eek: :lookaroun

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Your pictures are always great Laura

I love that Thunder Mountain one....and the one Abby took of you is really great....you have a fine apprentice there!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom