Family Guy episode - Peter takes Stewie to Disney World

Timekeeper

Original Poster
Truth be told, the Lucas camp basically "appreciates" all of the parodies out there; so long as they are within the legal confines of what constitutes a parody. ("Parody" is a complex term of art.) This was expressed by the attorneys who represent the Lucas camp, at an entertainment law conference in California.

As for Alexx's comment, Lucas' personal "that's cool with me" opinion has nothing to do with whether or not the Family Guy show was permitted to create and air that episode. There are instances when a comedic entertainer will seek the approval of the work being parodied, which is good PR, but sometimes the originator will decline permission. That leaves the comic in a personal (but not likely a legal) pickle. That's why - sometimes - it's better not to ask. (Coolio told Weird Al that it was not ok to parody Gangster's Paradise. But, of course, the parody exists.) If you've seen an episode of Family Guy, South Park, or any other edgy show, you've surely seen reference to plenty of things that the originator would never have given their "blessings" for. :zipit:

Long story short, I don't think there's a letter floating around out there in which Disney gives Family Guy their blessing to parody the attractions seen in the final product. :hammer:

Tk

Timekeeper

Original Poster
Truth be told, the Lucas camp basically "appreciates" all of the parodies out there; so long as they are within the legal confines of what constitutes a parody. ("Parody" is a complex term of art.) This was expressed by the attorneys who represent the Lucas camp, at an entertainment law conference in California.

As for Alexx's comment, Lucas' personal "that's cool with me" opinion has nothing to do with whether or not the Family Guy show was permitted to create and air that episode. There are instances when a comedic entertainer will seek the approval of the work being parodied, which is good PR, but sometimes the originator will decline permission. That leaves the comic in a personal (but not likely a legal) pickle. That's why - sometimes - it's better not to ask. (Coolio told Weird Al that it was not ok to parody Gangster's Paradise. But, of course, the parody exists.) If you've seen an episode of Family Guy, South Park, or any other edgy show, you've surely seen reference to plenty of things that the originator would never have given their "blessings" for. :zipit:

Long story short, I don't think there's a letter floating around out there in which Disney gives Family Guy their blessing to parody the attractions seen in the final product. :hammer:

Tk

dandaman

Funny thing about Captain EO: According to the Wikipedia article, the score was written by James Horner... the same guy who wrote the score to Titanic. :lol:

Disney + BTTF = win.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom