Distance to Autotrain

NOVAtraveler

Original Poster
I've taken (and loved) the train to Orlando. This time I'm taking the Autotrain to Sanford. My question is what kind of traffic to plan for Sandford to AKL (7/7) and back on (7/11). On the Virginia end, they suggest being at station as early as 12:30 for 4 pm departure, but I know the traffic on I95 up here.

Nobody asked, but I decided to Autotrain it so that I don't have to fly, I can pack lots of extras (snacks going down, presents coming back), and I don't have to hunt a rental car when I get there. I rented in Orlando last time, parked it at the WL, drove it back to train station a week later. Never turned the key between. That's some very expensive parking :mad:.

Thanks for any help.

eagles

i haven't used the autotrain. but we always take the train from richmond to orlando. while i would love to take the autotrain someday, i just can't come up with the money that costs.

i also always get sunrays to come and pick us up from the train station to resort and return.

but getting back to your question, i believe i have read somewhere that it takes approx 40 minutes? not really sure though.

TTATraveler

I've taken (and loved) the train to Orlando. This time I'm taking the Autotrain to Sanford. My question is what kind of traffic to plan for Sandford to AKL (7/7) and back on (7/11). On the Virginia end, they suggest being at station as early as 12:30 for 4 pm departure, but I know the traffic on I95 up here.

Nobody asked, but I decided to Autotrain it so that I don't have to fly, I can pack lots of extras (snacks going down, presents coming back), and I don't have to hunt a rental car when I get there. I rented in Orlando last time, parked it at the WL, drove it back to train station a week later. Never turned the key between. That's some very expensive parking :mad:.

Thanks for any help.

I rode the Autotrain down here when I moved back in September. As for arrival in Lorton, I was coming from New Jersey and knew about potential nightmares on the 495-95 Beltway around DC, so I left early. If I remember correctly, I made it to Lorton around 12:15 and had lunch before going to the train station. There certainly was a lot of time to kill at the train station and I could have left NJ later, but didn't want to chance a problem with traffic.

As for Sanford, I believe the I-4 exit is 101C and for AKL you'll be getting off at exit 67 on I-4. I would plan on at least 60-90 minutes from the time you get in your car and drive away to getting to Disney. I-4 is very unpredictable. You should miss the morning rush into Orlando. Going back to Sanford, you better allow at least 90+ minutes if you take I-4. You will get stuck in traffic. My suggestion is to take the 417 both ways. There will be tolls, but it moves. You'll have to take some local roads from the station to the 417 and vice versa, but it isn't bad or far and will be much better then I-4.

I second taking 417. My Sanford experience is (mostly) close to the airport and 417 is a *MUCH* better road. (It helps that I have a SunPass so I can just zip through the tolls.)

NOVAtraveler

Original Poster
Thank You All!

I've printed out your replies to put with the rest of my planning. Thanks so very much for the 417 tip!

Re Sunrise, that's great to know. The last time I went was in 1995 and found it impossible to get from train station to WL. I was taking my 13-yr-old niece for a birthday trip, so I rented a Mustang to drive to resort. She loved the Mustang, thought the WL with its woodsy theme was kinda lame. We had a super time, nonetheless. And, she loved the bunk beds on the train and slept like a rock. Me, not so much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom