Expedition Pins Trip Report

Hi again, everyone.

It's about 24 hours before we leave on another trip to WDW. This time, we have 2 main "event" for this trip. The first is to attend a special pin event at Animal Kingdom on Saturday called Expedition Pins. From what I've read and heard, this should be an exciting event. We will get DAK all to ourselves start at 6:30 pm till 10:00 pm. Unfortunately, I think only Asia is open with EE and Kali River Rapids being the two major attractions open. They could have at least open Dinoland as well. We shall see how it goes. Still, there's a good group of people from the Windy City Pin Traders heading out there, so we should have a lot of fun hanging out with friends.

The second event for this trip is that one of our friends from our pin trading group will be having a birthday on May 5th. So we will be celebrating this by going to Hoop Dee Doo that evening. She knows about all this since it was her suggestion. But what she doesn't know is that we have a large birthday cake for her (it had to be large to feed 13 people!), and we are going to try and get the cast members to embarrass her as much as possible about her birthday! I'm not quite sure what else has been secretly planned, but I can't wait!

As usual, I'll try to report each day on what happened. From my surfing around the web, I usually don't encounter much of any reporting from most of the previous pin events. So I'll try to cover it as much as I can.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. We are all packed and about ready to head out to the airport. Hope the weather doesn't cause us trouble (thunderstorms in the forecast). And we're bringing tons of trading pins for this event!

My next transmission will be from the Most Magical Place on Earth!

Zz.

MKCP 1985

We will get DAK all to ourselves start at 6:30 pm till 10:00 pm. Unfortunately, I think only Asia is open with EE and Kali River Rapids being the two major attractions open. They could have at least open Dinoland as well. We shall see how it goes. Still, there's a good group of people from the Windy City Pin Traders heading out there, so we should have a lot of fun hanging out with friends.

The second event for this trip is that one of our friends from our pin trading group will be having a birthday on May 5th. So we will be celebrating this by going to Hoop Dee Doo that evening. She knows about all this since it was her suggestion. But what she doesn't know is that we have a large birthday cake for her (it had to be large to feed 13 people!), and we are going to try and get the cast members to embarrass her as much as possible about her birthday! I'm not quite sure what else has been secretly planned, but I can't wait!

Zz.

Have a great trip! Having the Animal Kingdom park open only to pin traders sounds like a sticky situation. :lookaroun

Your friend didn't want to celebrate her Cinco de Mayo birthday at Mexico? :eek: Hoop de Doo will be all the fun in the world, I'm sure. :)

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Greetings from the Most Magical Place on Earth!

We got in around 10:45 pm last night. Orlando airport was deserted! It was nice to not have a crowd for a change! :) We got our luggage in record time and got our rental car as promptly as well.

We are back at our "home" in SSR. Haven't stayed here in more than a year, since the last few trips we stayed either at OKW or AKL. Couldn't get a room at our favorite location of Congress Park, though. We're staying at the Paddock instead. We were told we could ask for a room transfer this morning since there might be a room at Congress Park that might open today, but the view from this room is tolerable, so we will stay.

Today, we plan on heading out to the Magic Kingdom in the morning till lunch. We will then head on over to Coronado for the early registration of the Expedition Pin event. We might stay on till the evening for tonight's Mickey Pin Trading night. It depends on how we feel. A few people from our Windy City Pin Traders (WCPT) group also arrived last night, but most will be flying in later today. So we might bump into a few of them today.

Will post more report (and pictures) late tonight.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
We are back at SSR to rest up before we head out to Epcot this evening.

These are pictures of our "home". I forget how nice the place is.

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1018.jpg

Magic Kingdom this morning was pleasantly not busy. On the way there on the Monorail, we saw the Tower at Contemporary being built.
IMG_1036.jpg

This appears to be a walk way to connect it to the main building.
IMG_1041.jpg

We got to MK at around 10:00 am and this is what we saw.
IMG_1056.jpg

We did Splash, Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion (twice), and Pirates. All of them, almost no wait.

We then headed on over to Coronado to register for the pin event and pick up the merchandise. Here we are in line to the registration/merchandise pick up table.
IMG_1090.jpg

The pin trading area was still half empty because people are still arriving, or won't be arriving till later. We went in just to look around, but still managed to do quite a bit of pin trading.
IMG_1092.jpg

They have a preview for the pins for the silent auction.
IMG_1094.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

Tonight, we do Epcot.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
We spent a wonderful time at Epcot last night. I still think the Extra Magic Hours late in the day doesn't give one a better chance at getting on the rides. Soarin' had a 50 minute wait, with the line backing up all the way to the stairs!

Anyway, this is a short trip because we are starting the day early and it will be a full day. We are going to go to DHS for the early extra magic hours (I know, you'd think I would have learned already), and then at 11:00 is the official starting time for the Expedition Pins event at Coronado. We will be there till 6:00 pm when the event moves to DAK starting at 6:30 pm where all the rides, fun and games begin.

Will report on that after I get back... and oh, I should start getting free internet access after midnight tonight! Hooray! :)

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Expedition Pins - Part 1

Holly Yet! We were thoroughly exhausted but exhilarated after that pin event yesterday. It was a unanimous consensus among everyone I talked to that we all wished it could have gone on longer. It was THAT much fun, and Disney has certainly organized a pin event that everything else will be measured against! The food was good, and there's plenty to do, although some of us wish we had more time at DAK and a few more pin games there. But really, these are minor quibbles and we truly enjoyed ourselves, and the alcohol also helped! :)

We started the day with the Pin trading/pin games part at Coronado. Here are some pictures.. A lot of pin trading, and pin board games went on.
IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1214.jpg

Then at 7:00 pm, we moved to DAK where the fun part of the event (and dinner) took place. Only Asia was open to us.

IMG_1221.jpg

All the characters where there (and a couple more that you probably have never seen, but more on that later). And they were being quite playful. We had a big group picture of us, but I'll save that for later.

IMG_1229.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

So here's the first "character" that I haven't seen before, the Yeti! This Yeti was around all night long, and chatting with as many pin participants as he could find.

IMG_1250.jpg

They set up plenty of tables and cocktail tables for people to either mingle around for drinks or sit down to have their food. The food was DELICIOUS. Stakes, Peruvian potato salad, cole slaw, pasta, beans, grilled corns, plenty of dessert, and of course, the ice cream cart that one can keep on going back over and over and over again. I stuffed myself like there's no tomorrow.

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

{cont....}

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Expedition Pins - Part 2

We then went on Everest. A friendly warning, though. Don't ride everest on a very full stomach. After the 2nd ride in a row, I actually started feeling queasy! I had to sit out the rest of the multiple rides (some people rode it 5 times in a row!).

They had a gorgeous ice sculpture right near Everest. I think many people who didn't walk that far down missed it.

IMG_1282.jpg

There was also a sand sculpture of Mickey. I managed to take a picture of it with the artist who made it.

IMG_1339.jpg

There were at least a couple of entertaining that evening, and very exotic ones too. Fire eating, anyone? I'll pass since I'm still full from all those steaks.

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg

Games! Pin games! We 4 different pin games to get even more pins!

IMG_1325.jpg

Some time during the evening, we had another surprise. Another Yeti! This one was TALL, very tall! And he was the hit of the evening, I would think. Everyone was clamoring to get a picture with him!

IMG_1341.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

Soon, too soon, it was time to go. Here are a couple of pictures as we walked out of the park.

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1352.jpg

It was a terrific event, well-worth the price.

Zz.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
wow, very cool pics. I can tell you had a great time! That taller Yeti was pretty cool-the first one looked a little creepy!

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Sorry for not reporting more often. It has been a trip where we barely got back to our resort to rest and have some time for reporting. So I'm exhausted! And this is our last night here before we return home.

Yesterday was a wonderful day spent at DHS in the morning, and then Epcot in the afternoon. Most of the group has never done the "drawing class", so that's what we did. We even got Mickey to sign our "masterpieces" afterwards!

IMG_1373.jpg

Today was a fun day at MK. The day started out being rather foggy as you can tell.

IMG_1451.jpg

We were early enough to see the welcome show. Scoop Sanderson was there to welcome all of us.

IMG_1506.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

We of course did many attraction, but later that afternoon, we got invited to visit Company D and Property Control. So we did.

IMG_1577.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

The day ended at Hoop Dee Doo Review. It was a rollickingly good time!

IMG_1641.jpg

We leave for home late tomorrow afternoon. Will post more after I get back.

Zz.

diddy_mouse

What a great report! I gotta tell you, I really love AK at night. Having a lit-up Everest as a backdrop looked awesome!

Sounds like you had a lot of fun! :wave:

ZapperZ

Original Poster
We are back, after a terrific trip. We did a lot of new things (Hoop Dee Doo), went to the best pin event we have ever been to (Expedition Pins), and had a lot of fun with friends who, we think, we have gotten even closer over the trip.

I now have some time to write in detail about two small "incidents" or happening that occurred during the trip. The first one is due to my stupidity, while the other is the "stupidity" that could have been not so nice on the part of Disney. They both involved Cast Members who are often way smarter or more accommodating than some of the guests (like me) or Disney management.

The first occurred after we had a quick dinner at Sunshine Seasons in The Land Pavilion at Epcot. It wasn't that busy at that time (an important part of the story to keep in mind). In fact, we sat at one of the least busy section, right in front of the Jr. Chefs area. We left the place around 7:00 pm to walk around World Showcase a bit before we go to our favorite spot to to watch Illuminations that night. Since it was also an Extra Magic Hours night at Epcot, we also planned to get our wristbands. On the way to World Showcase, we spent a lovely time chatting with a Cast Member at the DVC booth. By the time we got to the wrist band distribution place, it was slightly after 7:30 pm. When I open my wallet to show them my resort key card, I realized that I didn't have my credit card that I used to pay for the meals we had at Sunshine Seasons!

It was then that I remembered that I put the card and the receipt on the tray, and accidentally placed my plate on top of them. Yes folks, when I dumped the plates and stuff into the trash receptacle, I also threw away my credit card! I had this very sinking feeling of "Oh Crap!". I got my wristbands, but decided to walk back to Sunshine Season and figure out what I could do before I call the credit card company.

By the time we got to Sunshine Season again, it was about 45 mins since we left it. I got hold of a cast member who was actually quite busy. Still, she made time for me. I told her what I happened, and where I dumped my tray and credit card. We all went to the trash can and when we looked into it, there was hardly anything in there. She said that from the look of it, it may have been emptied out recently, but she's going to get her gloves anyway and rummage through whatever's at the bottom of it.

So she came back with her gloves and started to go through the stuff at the bottom of the receptacle. Since the trash bag was clear, she thought it would be easier if she just pulled out the whole back and we all can look at it. So here we are, among all dinners at Sunshine Season, and she's holding a trash bag high in the air and spinning it for all of us to look at. Suddenly, I spotted a red piece of plastic (it was a Disney Visa card) at the bottom of the bag and yelled "There it is!!"

Yup! We found my card! She took it out, wiped it and handed it to me. Needless to say, I thank her profusely. I told her that I know the cast members were very good at finding the impossible out of the trash (ref: the recent news of the wedding ring that was tossed accidentally that the cast members found in the dumpster), but this is ridiculous! :)

So thank you to Cast Member Suzanne. An e-mail to Guest Relations will be sent today to let Disney know what a wonderful thing you did for us!

The second event took place at the end of our stay. It started on May 4th, a couple of days before we left. As DVC members staying at DVC resorts, we were supposed to get free internet service starting on May 4th. This was announced in the DVC newsletter, and on the DVC website. When I connected that morning, I still got the same screen where you have to agree to the $9.95 charge/24 hours. We called the front desk asking about it, and were told that, yes, the connecting page still hasn't change, but there will be a $9.95 credit starting that date. The system still can't tell yet which room has the DVC members and which doesn't. So till they get this set up properly, they will simply refund the charges. Fair enough.

You can already see what's coming next, don't you? Well of course, when we got our room charges on the day we were checking out, the internet charges starting on May 4th did not get reversed. We called the front desk again and a pleasant cast member tried to deal with it by asking her "upper management". She came back with the response from them that said to the effect that only guest who checked in ON OR AFTER May 4th will get the free internet connection.

Before I continue on what happened with the phone call, let me tell you first of all how stupid that is:

1. Nowhere in the newsletter or the webpage (even in fine print) did it say that only DVC guests who checked in on or after May 4th will get free internet connection. All it said was that there will be free internet connection starting May 4th.

2. It makes no sense to only give out free connection to DVC guest who checked in starting May 4th. Who came out with that ridiculous idea?

3. We were already told that the charges will be reversed. Here's an important reminder to Disney and all businesses: there's no better way to infuriate your guests and customers when you CANNOT KEEP YOUR STORY STRAIGHT by giving your guests/customers conflicting information!

4. I just can't believe that, for a few measly bucks (in our case, ~$30), they were set to alienate guests who were not only big Disney fans, but who are also annual passholders and DVC members!

Now, getting back to the phone conversation, the cast member at the other end, after she told us what she had been told by "upper management", said that this policy just doesn't make any sense, and that she was going to reverse the internet charges in question. It is obvious to me that this cast member had more sense in her than her managers. It's too bad that I didn't get her name, but someone like this who can think on her own to know how to treat her guests are what made Disney magical for many of us.

In the end, both of these "incidents" had positive outcomes and didn't effect our wonderful trip. We look forward to our next trip in Sept.

Zz.

k.hunter30

This was a GREAT trip report! I very much enjoyed reading about the pin trading activities and seeing the wonderful pics you took! Very well done!!

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Here are a few pictures from this year's Flower and Garden Festival.

IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg

I think this is my most favorite topiary/scene.
IMG_1127.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

Zz.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Great trip report, thanks much for sharing!

....but you left out the most important part.....what about the PINS?

Did you get some special ones...any particularly successful trades?

How can you post about a Pin trading event without the pins? :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom