Lesser Known Magical Experiences

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
Those who have been to WDW at least a few times tend to know most of the 'big' attractions in the guidemaps, but as the veterans know, WDW's magic is in the details and the lesser known attractions, themeing, etc. I continue to be amazed by the people who have been there a number of times and have always only done the same 'e-ticket' hopping routine.

We are always searching for the 'smaller' things. During our last trip, we experienced all the kid's discovery club spots at AK, The Village Beatniks percussion group, off road Segway tours, the Kitchen Sink sundae and several other non 'e-ticket' experiences.

What are your favourite (not a typo-Canadian spelling :)) lesser known things to do? These could be quiet spots, cool activities (like getting a pearl from an oyster at Japan:)), etc. It's fun to learn about experiences besides the biggies that every WDW visitor talks about.

There are a lot of WDW veterans on here, so I can't wait for responses. I feel like there are hundreds of things out there to discover.

On my last trip to WDW I got the privilege to ride up front with the monorail driver. Many people know that you can ride up front, but it was a first for me. :)

Captain Hank

My favorite overlooked thing is Miyuki, the candy maker in Japan. In about a minute, using only scissors, a paint brush and food coloring, she transforms a golf ball-sized lump of molten candy into any number of animals--from hummingbirds to dragons. Best of all, she gives them away for free.

sarabi

I love the Taiko drumming in Japan... can't think of the group's name. I especially love to catch their last performance of the evening with the sun setting.

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
My favorite overlooked thing is Miyuki, the candy maker in Japan. In about a minute, using only scissors, a paint brush and food coloring, she transforms a golf ball-sized lump of molten candy into any number of animals--from hummingbirds to dragons. Best of all, she gives them away for free.

That's so cool. I've never heard of her. Looking forward to checking that out.

DarkImage4

I love the Taiko drumming in Japan... can't think of the group's name. I especially love to catch their last performance of the evening with the sun setting.

I believe it's Matsuriza....

We love playing checkers just outside of the Confectionary in Town Square while people watching.

yankspy

I like walking around the monorail resorts, especially the GF. I also like the sea raycer boats. My wife and I like walking to FW from the WL after a big meal at whispering canyon. I could go on and on about different food, dole whips, etc.. I have to say that one of my favorite things to do is to sit down on a bench by the partners statue at night and just stare at the castle.:)

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
I like walking around the monorail resorts, especially the GF. I also like the sea raycer boats. My wife and I like walking to FW from the WL after a big meal at whispering canyon. I could go on and on about different food, dole whips, etc.. I have to say that one of my favorite things to do is to sit down on a bench by the partners statue at night and just stare at the castle.:)

We did the sea raycers for the first time recently. They were so fun. We rented at the Poly one day and did Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake, and later in the trip went from POR to Downtown area. Good times.

How far is that walk from WL to FW? We always eat at The Whispering Canyon, then just take the boat to MK. The walk sounds great.

hpyhnt 1000

After many visits, one of my favorite things to do is to find a bench and just sit listening to the BGM and watch the people walk by.

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
I believe it's Matsuriza....

We love playing checkers just outside of the Confectionary in Town Square while people watching.

Okay, dumb question but "Where do you get the checkers?"

Is it true that you can play chess or checkers on Tom Sawyer Island too? Embarassed to say that I've never been on the island yet.

Disneykidder

Played checkers at TS island. Checkers were just there...maybe left from someone else. It was relaxing!

I love to watch the water pageant from the beach at GF. Everytime I mention it to an "outsider", they seem surprised about it. We love it!!

yankspy

We did the sea raycers for the first time recently. They were so fun. We rented at the Poly one day and did Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake, and later in the trip went from POR to Downtown area. Good times.

How far is that walk from WL to FW? We always eat at The Whispering Canyon, then just take the boat to MK. The walk sounds great.

I think it is a little over a mile. As you might know, a long walk after a skillet is a pleasant idea.:)

Disney_Belle

I absolutely LOVE doing that!!! People watching is really a favorite for me. Because there are so many stories to be told by each and every person who walks by, and you have no idea what they are... and never will... to me its hard to comprehend - i know that sounds silly but its true.

I also like to sit at the little yellow and white tables, down the steps between the Ice Cream shop and the Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station. After Wishes! and while the park is draining out, I love it. It's amazing to watch the "Kiss Goodnight" from there.

jillmo1474

Lesser known attractions

One of the last things that my husband and I stumbled upon was the roof of the Contmporary Resort. We were just touring the building, when we decided to go up the elevator, we just started walking around and founf ourselves out on the roof, just in time for the fireworks! I even payed to use the binoculars and was able to spot the nighttime parade at the MK! You can see sooo much from up there! You can actually see what we thought were other theme parks and I think we saw some of there night time shows from a distance. It was almost hard to tell. :sohappy:

hmansion

A nice break from the crowded, chaotic neon of E-ticket attractions is a relaxing horseback ride at the Tri-Circle-D Ranch at Fort Wilderness. If you're one of us who first went to WDW when it opened, it will definitely take you back to a time when magical times were generated just as amazingly with slower-paced yet well-thought-out options. And someone else already mentioned the walk from Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness - the jogging trails that twist through the woods there are fun to run along and you are almost guaranteed seeing a mule deer or two or three (real ones, not animatronics!)

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
One of the last things that my husband and I stumbled upon was the roof of the Contmporary Resort. We were just touring the building, when we decided to go up the elevator, we just started walking around and founf ourselves out on the roof, just in time for the fireworks! I even payed to use the binoculars and was able to spot the nighttime parade at the MK! You can see sooo much from up there! You can actually see what we thought were other theme parks and I think we saw some of there night time shows from a distance. It was almost hard to tell. :sohappy:

I had no idea you could get up there. That's on my list for next time. :)

All of these suggestions are great. Keep 'em coming. :) I'm sure Steve, Belle, merf, and others frequent posters have some gems as well. :)

hmansion

Hey dreamscometrue!

I think a lot of folks enjoy Deluxe resort surfing via the monorail. This is especially fun and convenient if you are staying at one of the three on the line (Grand Floridian, Contemporary and Polynesian). Let's also add Wilderness Lodge to this (hop off the Monorail at the Contemporary and take the boat from the dock out back to Wilderness Lodge.) Each resort offers it's own ambiance - shops, decor, resort area music, restaurants and lounges. Grab a Lapu Lapu at Tambu Lounge (Polynesian) - ride the monorail to Grand Floridian and get spoiled at the Spa (fiancee loves this!) - hop the monorail to Contemporary for another beverage and a walk around the marina - take a boat (the smaller, open one - not the big enclosed one!) to Wilderness Lodge for dinner at Artist Point. Oh, and stop at all resort gift shops enroute. Then backtrack to where you began. The monorail is an amazing, elegant transport that combines 3 fabulous resorts and 1 world-class park into an easily covered stretch of diverse food and fun offerings. Throw in the boat to Wilderness Lodge and you'll appreciate that Disney transportation is an attraction in itself!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom