Close Encounter with a Monorail in the Middle of Georgia!

PlutoInOrlando

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Ok - so here I am driving back into the city of Atlanta, GA, from being down in Peachtree City, GA, doing an internal audit for one of our locations for work one afternoon...

When all the sudden I look to my right and low and behold - what do I find????

I can't believe my eyes...is it? REALLY?!?!?! Nooo - It can't be!
YES - it is!!!!

Sitting in front, well to the side, of the Tyrone Depot (tryonedepot.com) is a WDW Monorail...

The pics aren't all that great - as I didn't have my digtl camera with me - so had to take the pictures with my cell phone. But here you go!

Front_of_Monorail_on_the_trailer.jpg

The_full_Monty_.jpg

The_Full_Monty_2.jpg

More to come...

PlutoInOrlando

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Now - I'm not totally sure what the dragon is/was sitting next to it. It was obvoiusly an amusement ride of some sort that probably swung in a circle...but that's only my guess....
Anyone know more about it?

Amusment_Park_Ride_and_Monorail.jpg

Dragon.jpg

Amusment_Park_Ride_and_Monorail_2.jpg

wdwmomof3

whats going on... first a Disney bus in Texas and now a Monorail in Georgia? It's sort of funny to me. :lookaroun:)

se8472

Yeah I grew up in Peachtree City, and have seen that thing for years. But it looks like it might have been moved as I remember it sitting on the ground when I last saw it.

its been posted on here before. I'm sure a good search would come up with something.

PlutoInOrlando

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I couldn't get a good look at the control center - but it kinda looked to be gutted, but again - not sure on that.

But yeah - it was just sitting on this trailer in the middle of B.F.E. :hammer:

I was so shocked...as you might imagine :lol:

Figment626

Wow...cool find. I checked out the Tyrone website....states that it's an original WDW monorail and was on display in Orlando for several years but now is back at Tyrone. Guess that would explain it being on the trailer!?

Actually did a quick search on this and came up with the following. Chip Young of Tyrone paid $20,000 for it in a auction back in '02....it is as suggested a few posts up, a Mark IV edition that made it's debut in 1971. The only other remains of this monorail were sold to Las Vegas, the rest were destroyed when the Mark IV was replaced in 1995.

Here's the link I found.... http://thecitizen.com/archive/main/archive-020821/news/fp-06.html

PlutoInOrlando

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Wow...cool find. I checked out the Tyrone website....states that it's an original WDW monorail and was on display in Orlando for several years but now is back at Tyrone. Guess that would explain it being on the trailer!?

Actually did a quick search on this and came up with the following. Chip Young of Tyrone paid $20,000 for it in a auction back in '02....it is as suggested a few posts up, a Mark IV edition that made it's debut in 1971. The only other remains of this monorail were sold to Las Vegas, the rest were destroyed when the Mark IV was replaced in 1995.

Here's the link I found.... http://thecitizen.com/archive/main/archive-020821/news/fp-06.html

I was to busy trying to put the pics up to do any research on it. Thanks for the info! $20K huh...:eek:

brkgnews

From what I remember from when I emailed Brian (formerly of mousesurplus, now of surpluskingdom), the person who owns it now was a former friend or biz partner of his and wound up with the monorail. They sent it down to Orlando within the past three years or so to try to sell it at mousesurplus. Maybe he took it back in the "divorce" betwene the original partners of mousesurplus that resulted in the formation of SurplusKingdom?

davidpw97

I live about 10 minutes away from there. One of these days i'm going to have to go over there and check it out for myself. Thanks for posting the pics.

brkgnews

Odd...but very cool.I would love to see one of those on Ebay!LOL...I wonder what shipping would be?:dazzle:
I believe it was estimated to be well into the thousands when it was on there before. Basically you had to hire a crane to lift it onto a flatbed, hire a truck driver and his rig to take it on the flatbed to your home, then hire another crane to take it off the flatbed at your home, then pay to get the big rig and driver back home.

hrcollectibles

Now - I'm not totally sure what the dragon is/was sitting next to it. It was obvoiusly an amusement ride of some sort that probably swung in a circle...but that's only my guess....
Anyone know more about it?

Amusment_Park_Ride_and_Monorail.jpg

Dragon.jpg

Amusment_Park_Ride_and_Monorail_2.jpg
Thats one of the ride vehicles for Harry Potter at Islands of Adventure.... What Universal isn't telling anyone is that they are going to replace dueling dragons with these sapce age vehicles:ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom