Woman Tried To Bring Loaded Gun, Knife Into Disney's Magic Kingdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdwfan22

Original Poster
Police: Woman Tried To Bring Loaded Gun, Knife Into Disney's Magic Kingdom
.32-Caliber Semi-Automatic Handgun Loaded With 7 Rounds, Police Say

A 63-year-old woman was arrested Sunday after sheriff's deputies said she tried to enter Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom theme park with a loaded gun, some scissors and a knife.

Security workers said they discovered a .32-caliber semi-automatic handgun on Mary Ann Richardson, of Pennsylvania, during a routine safety check at a theme park entrance gate.

Walt Disney World security notified the Orange County Sheriff's Office and officer confiscated the gun and arrested the Richardson.

Officers said the gun was loaded with seven live rounds in the magazine.

The woman was also in possession of a pair of scissors and a locked blade knife.

Richardson told officers that she traveled with the gun and had forgotten it was in her purse, according to an Orange County sheriff's report. An investigation into the incident continues.

Stringent security measures have been in place at all Central Florida theme parks since Sept. 11, the report said.

Richardson was charged with possession of a concealed weapon.

Taken from Local 6 News

Night_Aaron

I'm glad they caught this. I know whenever I walk through security they barely look at whatever I have inside my bag.

sbkline

Last I knew, Florida was one of the states that allowed concealed weapons for people with a permit. Hopefully, this woman has such a permit and simply forgot that she had the weapon in her purse, since I understand that WDW is private property and can ban weapons even if they are otherwise carried lawfully. If that's the case, I hope she gets sent home with no charges.

As far as having a knife and *gasp* a pair of scissors...I certainly thank my lucky stars that we got this desperate criminal off the streets.:lookaroun

LeeSeeBabe

Last I knew, Florida was one of the states that allowed concealed weapons for people with a permit. Hopefully, this woman has such a permit and simply forgot that she had the weapon in her purse, since I understand that WDW is private property and can ban weapons even if they are otherwise carried lawfully. If that's the case, I hope she gets sent home with no charges.

As far as having a knife and *gasp* a pair of scissors...I certainly thank my lucky stars that we got this desperate criminal off the streets.:lookaroun

Correct. You can have a concealed weapon after taking a course and getting a permit.

sbkline

For the record, and I know this is somewhat irrelevant, but I support laws allowing concealed weapons and I wish my state were one of the ones to allow it.

Back in my younger and more foolish days, I used to pack my 9mm handgun in my car, even though it IS illegal, and I actually got pulled over a couple times for speeding or running a stop sign, and had the gun in my car. Fortunately, the officer didn't see it, or have any reason to search the vehicle. Since then, I have decided that the relatively low crime rate of my area does not warrant the risk of getting in major legal trouble nor the risk of having a 400 dollar item stolen from my car.

But I guess I say all that in part to epress that since Florida DOES allow concealed weapons, is this really that big of a deal? Like I said, I understand that WDW is private property and they can ban concealed weapons even if a person has a legal permit to carry them. But since permits are available, then it is entirely conceivable that this woman has one and, as she said, simply forgot it was there. Seems like a very plausible explanation to me and not any reason to thow her in jail...assumming, of course, that she is a Florida resident with a permit to carry a weapon. Now, if she was from Minnesota and is packing a handgun, then I can see being a little more suspicious of her motives.

But as far as that pair of scissors though...I just hope they throw the book at her for that one. :rolleyes:

MrBug

If you're able to "forget" that you're carrying a concealed, loaded handgun, you're not fit to have it.

sbkline

If you're able to "forget" that you're carrying a concealed, loaded handgun, you're not fit to have it.

Poppycock.

We're all human, and prone to forget things. It's easy for you to say that if you don't carry one, and if your state doesn't allow it, and if you're one of those who thinks guns are evil anyway.

But for those who see nothing wrong with guns and who regularly carry one around with them, then it could become just as common and ordianary as a comb, a wallet, or any other item that you pick up off the dresser every morning and take with you. Especially if she keeps in in her purse and doesn't even take it out every night before she goes to bed. She could very easily forget to leave it at home that day that she goes to WDW.

I don't think we should be casting such harsh judgment on her without having all the facts.

cdunbar

I mean as a women who stuffs lots of things in her purse, I don't think I forget if my gun was in there. I mean I for one think that it would be very hard to not notice that while pulling out my tickets to get into the park that my gun was in there! I mean good lord, and secondly why does a 63 yr old women not only feel the need to have a gun with live amo but also scissors, and a knife? I mean ok I won't deny the fact that it's a dangerous world and you know we all need some kind of protection but 3 forms of protection?

This begs the question, if she had gotten past security what was she going to do with the weapons? That is what worries me....:confused:

Montyboy

? I mean ok I won't deny the fact that it's a dangerous world and you know we all need some kind of protection but 3 forms of protection? ....:confused:

Yeah, if the gun and the knife don't work, you might as well not bother with the scissors.

baz212

I know a lot of people who carry pocket knives and scissors. About half of my quilt guild carry scissors on them all the time and my husband and his sibling, including his sister carry pocket knives. They use it for stuff like opening packeges and and cutting loose threads off their clothes. It is common in rural areas for people to carry pocket knives.

MrBug

Poppycock.

We're all human, and prone to forget things. It's easy for you to say that if you don't carry one, and if your state doesn't allow it, and if you're one of those who thinks guns are evil anyway.

But for those who see nothing wrong with guns and who regularly carry one around with them, then it could become just as common and ordianary as a comb, a wallet, or any other item that you pick up off the dresser every morning and take with you. Especially if she keeps in in her purse and doesn't even take it out every night before she goes to bed. She could very easily forget to leave it at home that day that she goes to WDW.

I don't think we should be casting such harsh judgment on her without having all the facts.
I'll see your poppycock and raise you a BS.
Many assumptions on your part; I hope your decision on whether or not you "need" to use your illegal handgun is based on more solid info.

I don't carry one, my state does allow it, and I grew up around guns and am quite comfortable with them. They aren't evil, but they are extremely dangerous.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Poppycock.

Not really judging, but how on earth could you FORGET that you had a fully loaded semi automatic handgun in your purse...puhleeese:rolleyes:

kimmychad

Poppycock.

yeah we are all human and i understand people forget things. i forget to do things around the house for the wife sometimes. but somethings just shouldnt be forgotten about. i wouldnt forget to pick my wife up at work if i took her. i dont forget my wallet at home, some things are just important to me. and yeah im glad they stopped her before she got in the park. maybe she was paranoid, why else would she be carrying a gun and a knife?

Montyboy

Oh my God. My head is going to explode! This is one of the dumbest posts ever placed.

A comb or a wallet isn't a deadly weapon.

Damian31

Please tell me why you would need a loaded weapon in every day life and why you would carry it around normally let alone scissors or a knife?:shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom