Utilidors

anim8or98

Mental map

I'll give you the "Day in the life of a costumed MK cast member" - or - "Why anyone who works in the Magic Kingdom must leave his or her house and hour and a half before their shift":

Costumed cast members either get a bus or drive themselves to the parking lot across from Disney University (training area for CMs). The parking lot is a little less than a mile away from the Magic Kingdom, so cast members wait for a shuttle bus to arrive to take them to the utilidor entrance. The utilidor entrance is basically beneath Pinocchio's Village Haus. From here, cast members head to wardrobe to get his or her costume for the day. There are 8 or 9 windows (it's been a while) of costumes. So, depending on where you work or what line of business you were in, you'd head to a window and pick up your costume for the day. Then, you head to the locker room (directly under the 20,000 Leagues lagoon) and change into your costume. Now, depending on where you work, you head off to your area and check in at the base location to see where you are working that day. Fantasyland cm's are the closest to their location after changing into costume. Main Street cm's get to do the long walk down the tunnel, as do Frontierland and Adventureland cm's.

If anyone has specific questions about the tunnel, I'd be happy to answer!

goonsquads57

Re: Mental map

Originally posted by anim8or98
I'll give you the "Day in the life of a costumed MK cast member" - or - "Why anyone who works in the Magic Kingdom must leave his or her house and hour and a half before their shift":

Costumed cast members either get a bus or drive themselves to the parking lot across from Disney University (training area for CMs). The parking lot is a little less than a mile away from the Magic Kingdom, so cast members wait for a shuttle bus to arrive to take them to the utilidor entrance. The utilidor entrance is basically beneath Pinocchio's Village Haus. From here, cast members head to wardrobe to get his or her costume for the day. There are 8 or 9 windows (it's been a while) of costumes. So, depending on where you work or what line of business you were in, you'd head to a window and pick up your costume for the day. Then, you head to the locker room (directly under the 20,000 Leagues lagoon) and change into your costume. Now, depending on where you work, you head off to your area and check in at the base location to see where you are working that day. Fantasyland cm's are the closest to their location after changing into costume. Main Street cm's get to do the long walk down the tunnel, as do Frontierland and Adventureland cm's.

I am curious..... are the rooms (locker room, for example) within the utilidors "nice". I mean carpeted, well lit, etc.? Or are they dark and dingy? The pictures I've seen always show the actual utilidor with the pipes and such showing, but they always look relatively clean.

Thanks

anim8or98

Locker Rooms

The locker rooms are just that... Locker rooms. They aren't always the neatest, but they have custodial clean them as well. Back in 1999-2000, they had a co-ed locker room for a while because they ran out of space. While it was supposed to be "grab your clothes out of your locker and either go to the mens locker room or women's locker room to change," nobody really did that because it was a pain. I don't know if they are still doing that, but oddly, no one complained.

The utilidors themselves... All Star Nathan hit the nail on the head (they smell). See, some garbage disposal units and compactors are in the tunnel as well, so walking into the Tomorrowland section by Cosmic Rays or by Adventureland wasn't always a treat. The offices above the Emporium (and Uptown Jewelers on the other side) were nicer. There is a definite lack of office space. RGSM's in Tomorrowland were forced to hold office in a trailer behind Buzz Lightyear. You can see them way in the back of the upper management parking lot if you are leaving during a busy time and they exit you behind East Main Street.

Disneyanna0521

Account Suspended
i have continue to really like this thread....

the "co-ed" locker rooms would make me feel very uncomfortable so if that was my dressing room i would run in and out so fast no one would know i was there

anim8or98

Yeah, the co-ed locker room was kind of strange. Some of the dancers in the castle-front stage show and even a Pocahontas had their lockers in there. They were in there together with merchandise cast members, food service, custodial, operations, etc. There would be girls doing makeup while sitting on the floor in front of a mirror and guys just walk in, get changed, and head back out. Very odd and un-Disney, but like I said, no one said a word.

I remember when the girls locker room was flooded at one point. It sat right below the 20,000 leagues lagoon and if I remember correctly, there was some sort of leak.

The worst (best?) thing about the tunnel was the realization that characters were human in real life. I went to the rest room to wash my hands and saw Tigger's feet in the stall (characters keep their feet on a lot when not on stage). A lot of the Princesses smoked. It was tough when Mickey Mouse took off it's head and it was a female. It was even tougher when the Queen of Hearts took of her head and she was a he. I listened as one of the girls who played Belle swore on her cell phone on break out at the bus stop. All pretty weird.

All Star Nathan

The only place I have ever seen Princess Aurora in all my years as Disney guest and cast is on the payphones by costuming. Which I find kind of odd seeing as I saw her on the phone at least 3 times.:rolleyes:

mkepcotmgmak

I have one on ALL of ya'll...

When i was on the MK custodial team, i entered the utiladors, got my costume, changed into my SHORT shorts (considering i am 6'9"...that makes them really short...

custodial base is under main street, so off i go, down the LOOOONNNNGGG ugly hallway... and clock in, then i was stationed in the north, which is Fantasyland... so BACK i go, and up the stairs to the Village Haus...

LOOOONGG Journey..... they should make a ride about that, instead of Pinocchio's Daring Journey, JOSH's LOOOONG Journey...lol.

wbboy29

:veryconfu I don't know what you guys are talking about, there's no people inside a Mickey costume, that is the real Mickey Mouse and he is a boy, thank you very much. Plus I met the Queen of Hearts, she was very mean but I know for a fact that she is a she, and if any head was coming off it would deffinitly not be hers. Didn't you see the movie, HELLO!!!

Anyways, kids do visit this sight lets keep the magic going Ok.:)

Re: Locker Rooms

Originally posted by anim8or98
Back in 1999-2000, they had a co-ed locker room for a while because they ran out of space. While it was supposed to be "grab your clothes out of your locker and either go to the mens locker room or women's locker room to change," nobody really did that because it was a pain. I don't know if they are still doing that, but oddly, no one complained.

Not anymore. The Entertainment Costuming area expanded in that space.

joanna71985

Costuming has changed now. Instead of costuming being in the utilador, there's a building for costumes at the cast bus stop. Only costuming at the MK is entertainment costumes.

WDWKat26

anim8or98 said:

FYI: That's a little off. Costuming for CM's is no longer in the tunnels. It's right next to Westclock (The Bus Station) so that the CM's can cast zoom with their costumes.

EDIT: She got to it before me :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom