it's over already?? 10/13-10/20 with plenty of pictures

My turn for a trip report!
Oh boy, where to start.
This is my first attempt writing a trip report, so stay with me, it might get a little long.
But I’ve got plenty of pictures!!

Ok, so this report is starring:
Myself (24)
Husband (26)
Mom, Dad, and Aunt
7 younger brothers and sisters (4 girls, 3 boys ages 3-16)

12 in total, on two sites at Fort Wilderness.

This was our third October trip in recent years (since 2003); I had also been in late November 2004, and the rest of the family last December (I missed that one for work). So we enjoy going around the holidays, and had been to mnsshp before.

A few general observations:
-crowds were very manageable, but definitely getting busier every year.
-2 years ago, I had noticed that CM’s were getting less magical and a little rude. This trip, we had very few negative encounters, and many magical ones. Service at the restaurants was mostly very good, and everyone was generally very pleasant.
-weather: the entire week before, the forecast had called for thunderstorms throughout our entire trip. We only saw rain twice:
for maybe an hour early afternoon before our mnsshp, and early in the morning on our last day. Other than that, it was beautiful. Hot and humid, but sunny and beautiful.

A week or two before the trip, I mentioned to my mom that we had always been very lucky in having very good weather each trip, and that nobody has been sick at wdw. Wouldn’t you know, the day we are to leave, I went to my family’s house to get ready to leave. My husband and dad were at work, and 4 of the kids were at school. The first call came early in the morning, the one in 7th grade had gotten sick on the bus. A few hours later, the 1st grader was sick and sent home. The last call came at the very end of the day; my 3rd grade sister had gotten sick just as school was let out and was not allowed to take the bus home, so we had to go pick her up.
My mom was about to strangle me, lol. She said it was my fault for having said that only a few weeks before. But it seemed to be a very quick bug; they got it out of their systems and were a little woozy and weak, but ok to go. Everyone piled into the motor home, and we began the 19 hour drive from northwest Indiana.

Alright, I’ll start the actual report next.
I’ve got 2,766 pictures to sort through, and I’m hoping they help me remember everything!!
This was my first trip with this new camera, and I was generally impressed with how well it worked.
I didn’t think I would be able to get anything as far as nighttime and fireworks, but it did ok (not great, but I have a few decent shots)

We also took our friend Kermit down, and took pictures of him all over the world. He snuck into a few group shots as well.
Maybe at the end I'll show off some of his solo pictures.

I tried to pick a font and size somewhat easy on the eyes, so let me know if it's not. :wave:

sissa216

Original Poster

Day one-
Traveling, Downtown Disney

Somewhere around late morning we arrived at the Florida welcome center. We stop here every trip, and got to experience the citrus-y goodness that you flyers miss out on!
Here’s a picture I took on the way down.
022b5226.jpg

The kids were giddy with excitement and eating some trail mix, so my brother and I called this ‘happy trails’.
Yeah, nobody else found it funny either. Lol.

We arrived somewhere around 1 in the afternoon.
Our sites ended up being right next to each other in the 400 loop.
(I think it was "whispering pines")
It was a pretty good site; about a minute from the settlement depot, and at the very beginning of the loop.

We were at the opposite side of our bathroom, but when we got there we saw we were right by the 100 loop bathroom (maybe a 20 second walk, literally right next to it).

The only problem I had was that we were so close to the busses and marina that they kept me up at night. But after a few days of open to close, nothing kept me awake, haha.

We got settled in, and made a mad dash for the showers. Then we headed over to the marina to catch a boat to Wilderness Lodge, where we had reservations for Whispering Canyon Café. We got to the marina about an hour and a half before our dinner time, to give us time to leisurely make our way over and relax while we checked in.

This is where we experienced our first and only real negative experience with a cast member. I had a long typed out explanation of how un-magical he was, but it's not worth complaining now. Basically, we got to the marina about an hour and a half before our reservations. But we waited 40 minutes for his boat (which may not have been his fault), and he spent quite a bit of time socializing and laughing at the contemporary with another CM (which was his fault), and was anything but friendly. The entire boat was grumbling about him.
Here is a picture of him talking, after we had already waited several minutes for any guests to board (none did), and he was about to take off again. Then he saw his friend coming, so he waved, walked away from the boat, and began to talk for several moments.

b23bb94e.jpg

Ok, that was done, and it was on to our dinner. By the time we got there, we were only about 20 minutes early, and it was time to check in. We waited maybe 10 minutes, and were seated. This was mine and my husband’s first time here, the others had eaten here last year. In fact, we’re running out of new places to eat. A few of the restaurants this trip were new to a few people in our party, but the majority of us had already eaten at every place we ate this trip.

eda9241c.jpg

This was a fun place to eat. We all got the family style dinner, which had very good mashed potatoes and corn on the cob.

Of course, they had my husband ask for ketchup, and we got 7 or so bottles brought to our table.

b9a0ee51.jpg

I was so thirsty, I quickly drank up two glasses of sprite in about 10 minutes, when the waiter brought out this massive glass to drink from. I couldn’t stop laughing. The picture of myself with the glass didn’t turn out so good, but here is DH with it.

21b53b71.jpg

After dinner, it was off to DTD for the night. We really didn’t do much shopping, just a little browsing and trying on fun hats.

81b9d251.jpg

a245e249.jpg

That was it for the first day. Coming up tomorrow: MGM

sissa216

Original Poster

Day 2-MGM

We woke up early, and soon found out it was my Dad’s turn to be sick.
So he decided to stay back and rest for a few hours, and planned to meet up with us later.

Off to MGM!!
We were there for the park opening, and it was really not too crowded at all.
Here is a picture of us in our t-shirts towards the entrance:

17a50943.jpg

Yes, we wore the same shirts all week.
My sister kept track of all the comments we heard or received (anything about the shirts counted. Including “where did you get those” “those are so cute” “look, here comes the pumpkin family” “looks like you’ll have an easy time finding each other in those shirts” etc. Trust me, we heard them all!!
(Edit:
Ok, so the final count isn't in, but I do know that the first night there were about 45 comments,
and each day after that was a minimum of 60 comments.
So I'll put in a conservative guess at 500 or so)

We also all wore Disney crocs. I don’t care how ugly I used to think they are, they are so comfortable!! And to add to the touristy-tackiness, my sisters, mom and I all wore matching black, yellow and orange Halloween socks, with pumpkin earrings and hair bands to match. We were on vacation!!!

e1e3e8c4.jpg

We first headed towards ToT. No wait at all; we easily fit in two rides before the line began to form (with two little ones we had to do rider switches throughout the trip; I can’t wait for the day that we can all go on as one group!)

4489e7a7.jpg

We checked out RnRC, but there was too long of a wait, so we grabbed some fast passes and headed to the other end of the park.

On the way we checkout some of the streetmosphere performers. I love these guys.

143382ea.jpg

I don’t quite remember the order, but we did GMR, Muppets, Animation, watched the JedI training academy, and grabbed lunch at Commissary. Just as the rest of the group was about to ride Star Tours (I stay off since it makes me sick), my Dad showed up refreshed and feeling better. This was probably mid afternoon.

30d0b1e9.jpg

We headed back to RnRC to use up our fast passes, and dragged DH on for his first time. He is not a big fan of roller coasters, but he survived. He didn’t like it, but didn’t hate it, and agreed to do it once per trip!

6444f4f8.jpg

As soon as we finished riding we grabbed the first of our EMH wristbands.
At the end of the week, we had a collection of 4 bands.

After this it was time for the 50’s PrimeTime Café. This was our third or fourth time here. We did wait quite a long time, probably about 40-45 minutes for a table. But soon we were seated and eating. I had fried chicken with some of the most delicious green beans!!
Our waitress was fun and really got into her role. She even put my dad into the corner for “giving her sass”.

I think this picture was actually taken on our other day at MGM, but here’s a few pics of the construction for Mania.

618ebb4e.jpg

4e4045d7.jpg

After that we headed towards Fantasmic, but my sister and I wanted to do ToT one more time. The rest of the group said no way since they had just eaten, so we skipped ahead (literally, we skipped down sunset)

Since we were going to the second showing of Fantasmic, the area was dead (everybody else was at the first show)
We found absolutely no line, and got a few good pictures of the queue. When we got into the library, a very nice woman was next to us and asked us if she needed to grab onto the wall or something to prepare for the drop. It was her very first time to WDW, and her first time on Tower. Her husband was outside and afraid to try it. We told her to ride with us, and explained the ride to her. She was very friendly, and probably in her 60’s. We were afraid it would be too intense for her, but she loved it. She didn’t scream or laugh because she was in shock, but said she enjoyed herself.

Then we went over to catch up with the family who had just gotten in line for Fantasmic. We were just a few feet behind them, and easily caught up in the theater. Our seats were very good; in the center in the third row or so.
Here are a few of the pictures that turned out OK.

5dc5d5e6.jpg

1a8113a7.jpg

After Fantasmic, we went to get our snack for the day. We sat and ate ice cream, browsed the shops for a bit, and just hung around and soaked in the atmosphere as the crowds piled out. I got some fun video of my family dancing to the music with the hat in the background. (I actually really like the hat).

As we got on the bus back, I was carrying my sleeping 3 year old sister. I was surprised that when I first got on, a man hopped up and told me to take his seat. I said thank you, but I see open seats at the back. Then I get about 2/3 back and somebody else jumped up and offered me their seat as well! It was very nice for both of those people to be so quick to offer their own seats, but luckily there was still plenty of room in the back.

So that was the end of our first day in the parks. We headed back, showered and did laundry. I probably got to bed between 12 and 1, and got up the next morning around 6 or so.

Not all of my pictures fit, so I'll put them up in a few minutes

wvugeoggrad

Great TR so far. I'm sorry the majority of your family got sick before the trip, gotta love when you say something like that then it does happen! I'm glad it was only a quick bug and you were able to enjoy the rest of the trip. Also I love the matching shirts! Can't wait to read and see more!!! :D

LuLaSue

Fantasic! I saw your pics from the MNSSHP Picture Thread, you have a beautiful family. You all looked like you had a wonderful time!

rshell68

Loving the trip report!!!

Hope you don't mind a few questions...

How did you like the campground? I'm trying to talk my husband into taking our RV on the next trip down in March and I need some good intel. Is it all worth it or should we just stay in a room at a value resort?

Did you rent golf carts? I've read they are pretty necessary.

Can't wait to read more!!!

sissa216

Original Poster
Great TR so far. I'm sorry the majority of your family got sick before the trip, gotta love when you say something like that then it does happen! I'm glad it was only a quick bug and you were able to enjoy the rest of the trip. Also I love the matching shirts! Can't wait to read and see more!!! :D

Love your trip report! :sohappy: Can't wait to read more.

I can't wait for more, this is about the closest i'll get to the world for a while

Fantasic! I saw your pics from the MNSSHP Picture Thread, you have a beautiful family. You all looked like you had a wonderful time!

Great so far! I love your pictures and your matching shirts! So cute!

Loving the trip report!!!

Hope you don't mind a few questions...

How did you like the campground? I'm trying to talk my husband into taking our RV on the next trip down in March and I need some good intel. Is it all worth it or should we just stay in a room at a value resort?

Did you rent golf carts? I've read they are pretty necessary.

Can't wait to read more!!!

I think your Fantasmic pics are outstanding! Can't wait to read more!

Thanks for all of the compliments everyone!! I'm glad you're enjoying the report.
We definitely had a great time.
Keep reading, there is plenty more to come....by tomorrow I should have a few more days ready.

To answer your question rshell, we've stayed at the campground several times. It's really the only practical way for so many of us to stay, plus I grew up camping all over the country.

I'm sure my mom will chime in here too.

Fort Wilderness is beautiful, and very relaxing. Most recently, we've stayed in the 800 and 400 loops. We specifically requested this time to be in either 100 or 400. Preferred sites are slightly more, but not as much of a difference as preferred rooms at the hotels.

We've never rented a golf cart; this time, we were at the very end of the grounds closest to the marina. But even when we were farther back, the walk isn't too unmanagable.

There are two bus depots, one at each end. Near the marina, you can get transpotation to MK by boat or MGM by bus. In order to get everywhere else, you need to be at the other end. But there are constant busses running back and forth between the two depots, and making stops at all the loops in between. There are three different lines between the two ends, so the ride back and forth isn't too long.

I am not a huge fan of Disney transportation, but even I can deal with it. I know it is as efficient as it can be, but I am not a patient person. Even so, it really isn't too bad.

I love to walk around FW early in the morning or late at night. If you don't stay there on your next trip, at least visit and walk around a bit, or take a carriage ride (DH and I did this on our honeymoon). It is especially fun at the holidays; I've got a few pictures coming up that show how everybody decorates their site. It is really fun at halloween (everyone has blow ups and lights strung around), and even more beautiful at Christmas time.

The one thing that we did this trip that I will never do again is stay in a tent. My parents brought their 40 foot motorhome. We own a pop-up, and I'm really not sure why we decided not to bring it. It really cooled down quite a bit at night, and I was even a bit cold, but I really missed having solid walls and a light, lol. But you already said you have an RV, so that's not an issue.

Hope this helps! :wave:

minnie2000

Great trip report! I love the pictures of your brothers and sisters. Being an only child, I can only imagine what it must be like to be one of 8! Especially to be the oldest! I always wanted a few brothers or sisters.

sissa216

Original Poster
Great Trip Reort so far, looking forward to more!
Thanks!!
Great report - love the pics
Thank you!!
Great trip report! I love the pictures of your brothers and sisters. Being an only child, I can only imagine what it must be like to be one of 8! Especially to be the oldest! I always wanted a few brothers or sisters.

Thanks!! Actually, I'm one of nine. :hammer: I'm the oldest, but the second oldest had just started a new job on a fire department the week before and couldn't make it. But yeah, it is a little crazy, but its fun.

rshell68

Sissa..Thanks for the campground info. I REALLY want to stay there but like I said selling the hubby is going to be a stretch.

Wow one of 9! DH is one of 7 I can only imagine what holidays are like at your house:p

Can't wait to hear more!

sissa216

Original Poster
Day 3- AK/MK

We woke bright and early to make Animal Kingdom’s extra magic hours this morning.
Here are two of the girls in front of the camper with our Halloween blow-ups.

4ed6453e.jpg

And waiting to get into AK.

1a10e274.jpg

Somehow, we really didn’t take advantage of anything. I think we may have gotten there later than we planned. Anyhow, we walked around a bit, and decided to hang out until they allowed us to go through to the first show of FOTLK.

f18897af.jpg

While we were waiting, everyone had a chance to meet with Minnie.
Here are the two littlest, since they seem to miss out on the pics more than anyone else.

44a09867.jpg

And I attempted to get kind of a cool picture of our shadows waving back at us.

966a70cf.jpg

Alright, then it was on with the show.

One of my sisters had been practicing an elephant noise for the past week hoping to sit in that section. None of us remembered which section was which, but we ended up being in the giraffe section. Oh well. We had very good seats, the first row behind the wheelchair seats (the third row). I sat on the very end, which allowed for me to try to get some good pictures.

Unfortunately, I was still exploring my camera, which has no manual controls but several pre-set modes. I chose “high sensitivity” because it is set at iso 800 and is meant for fast-moving scenes; on my camera screen they came out perfect, but when I see them on the computer, they are much granier than I would like. This happened with wishes, illuminations, and hallowishes as well.
But they’re not too bad in a smaller form.

Anyhow, the show was ready to start. I have never been able to sit through this show without crying. I can hardly listen to the music at home, and definitely cannot even watch a video of it. It is so silly, and I don’t even know what it is. But as soon as I heard “listen”, and the wind and the animals in the distance, here it came. I put my glasses down so I didn’t look like an idiot, but my husband kept laughing at me, and I was laughing at myself most of the time too. Haha it really is funny.

8b7cce0e.jpg

Then it was time for “the lion sleeps tonight” and some of the girls came around and picked my three youngest sisters to go dance around with them. My other sister got the entire thing on video tape; they were so excited.

1f181cdc.jpg

d0ca0211.jpg

I told my husband “oh wouldn’t it be cool if timon picked them”, and he had no idea what I was talking about. Then the girls they were walking with stopped in front of the section to our right (warthog?) and had the girls stand around for a minute while the other kids made their way back to their seats. Timon did come over to them for the part of “especially you, you were perfect”. It was so cute!!

31620d39.jpg

Then we tried to make our way over to Everest, etc. This was my first trip since October 05, so this would be my first time. Last time I was here the exterior wasn’t even finished. Wouldn’t you know, it was suddenly my turn to be sick. Everest was down anyway, and had been for an hour, so they grabbed fast passes, and we attempted lunch. I couldn’t stomach it, so DH and I made our way back to the campground, planning to meet up with them for our dinner adr’s. I tried to sleep for a few hours, but tossed and turned while he slept away, but at least I got some rest.

We got up around 3 and slowly made our way to the contemporary, and rode the monorail for a while. I stopped to take a few pictures of MK, since it was my first time seeing it this trip.

634a29d4.jpg

Ok that’s my limit on pictures. More to come next.

sissa216

Original Poster
More of day 3

So we collect magnets everywhere we go. I’ve already got plenty of WDW ones, but we decided to start collecting each park and the resorts we visit. I had forgotten to get on at WL, and never did get back to get it. We knew we were eating at Chef Mickey’s the next day, so decided to stop and get one now so as not to rush in the morning.

This is DH’s favorite resort. He would love to stay there one day…I say maybe for a 5th or 10th anniversary. We bought the magnet, which I really loved.

I was still not feeling well, but did not want to miss dinner. We then went to the Grand Floridian to buy our magnet and wait for the family to show up. We went to each shop, and each told us they do not have a magnet, but try another shop. I came to the conclusion that they just don’t have one; I was disappointed.

Anyhow, the family showed up, and we waited for our seats. I sat on one of the couches and fell asleep; by this time I had been sick all day and I was sure I was over it, but I was just very weak.

My brother and sister waiting for dinner….a prince escorting his princess (yeah, he wasn’t too happy about it, lol) Actually, I think this was after dinner.

3fbc0241.jpg

On to dinner. We ate at the 1900 park faire. I had never been, but the rest of the family had visited last year. My mom was a little afraid that they wouldn’t like the change from the mice to the stepsisters and stepmother, but I thought they were absolutely awesome .

06c6d605.jpg

Each of them commented on our shirts, and told us how embarrassing it must be to show up wearing the same outfit. haha.

The food was just OK, I thought, not really too much of my taste. I ended up eating off the kids’ table. The desserts were very good though. I didn’t have too much of anything since my stomach was still upset.

My three youngest sisters were absolutely in awe over Cinderella. They are obsessed with princesses, and think they are princesses themselves. Last year, my mom bought up nearly every princess costume from the Disney Store for them to play around in, and when I come over, they’ll be sitting around eating dinner, acting prissy in their gowns. So they were speechless at Cinderella and her prince, who were very good and very into their roles. Unfortunately, I didn’t take red eye off, but don’t feel like fixing it at the moment.

78ddece4.jpg

063566da.jpg

My dad noticed this man who was bussing tables, and said he was the hardest working CM on property. He was very polite and very very fast, so my dad went over to compliment him. I took a picture to maybe send in to Disney.

abb0a192.jpg

Then our waitress asked if we had any birthdays in the party. The three youngest had actually all had birthdays in the past two weeks (3.5,& 7), so she brought out crowns and lit cupcakes, and they got to stand up while the whole room danced around and sang happy birthday. They really had fun with it.

6c610fe8.jpg

c0546032.jpg

e7d7422a.jpg

After that, we headed out to catch MK’s EMH. I took this picture on the way out.

f63906f8.jpg

Up next: a few wishes pictures, and one left over from the MK.

sissa216

Original Poster
Sissa..Thanks for the campground info. I REALLY want to stay there but like I said selling the hubby is going to be a stretch.

Wow one of 9! DH is one of 7 I can only imagine what holidays are like at your house:p

Can't wait to hear more!

You're welcome! Maybe just visit it this time, maybe that'll help lean him towards next time.

Yeah, holidays are kind of fun. That, and we have a birthday almost every month :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom