Taking a child out of school for a trip to WDW

po1998

Original Poster
My wife and I would like to take our daughter back to WDW for her 10th birthday next year. I don't want to go in the summer because of the heat and humidity. Last time we were at WDW was in the 1st week of Dec 1998. My daughter was not in school at the time. The weather was beautiful(high 70's), the parks were empty and the decorations were great! I would prefer to take her out of school and go in Dec 2004. I would like some thoughts and past experiences on taking a child out of school to go to WDW vs going during summer, easter or christmas recess.

Thanks,

Testtrack321

I'm a teen and can say that taking you kid out of Disney can be fun and rewarding, but overall, hard.

The work that needs to be made up usually can't be collected before hand. Also consider if she will miss tests, quizzes, or projects. If the trip lies anywhere around a test or project, I wouldn't go.

GrumpyDad

I would say that it depends on the child more then anything. We have been going in late Jan, early Feb, or Nov for the last ten years and it always involves taking my youngest out of school for at least part of a week. The teachers are usually good about assigning work before she goes. However, she is near the top of her class and making work up has never been a problem for her.

In two years when she goes to high school we may have to rethink our plans. But we sure do enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of going in the off season!

Enjoy,
-harry

SpongeScott

Check with the teacher and see if they will let you make up work or have work sent with her to WDW. Also, see if your child could do something for extra credit at Epcot--a small project of collecting something from the countries, for example. Work with the school and let them know of your intentions. They may officially frown on you, but you might be able to work something out so her work/grades are not affected.

EmeraldDolphin

I agree that is depends on the child. I am a mom of 3, and I have taken my kids out of school in the past for a few days to add to our vacations. My oldest is in college now, and doesn't join us on most of our vacations... but the two youngest are in HS & middle school, and even at that age it hasn't been a problem for them. A lot of the teachers won't give tests or quizzes if you're going at a time that is close to a school vacation.

MouseMadness

I'd agree with everybody... definitely talk to the teacher... at the beginning of the school year... some are very particular about this. However, (and I'd said this before, somewhere) my girls' preschool teacher said he will always take his kids out of school to go because 1) it's incentive for them to keep their grades up, which is a requirement for them to go 2) you avoid the heat and crowds, as you've stated and 3) you typically avoid the higher prices, although at Christmas time I don't know if that would necessarily be the case. I would certainly try to go during the school year. Good luck!

AliciaLuvzDizne

Originally posted by Testtrack321
I'm a teen and can say that taking you kid out of Disney can be fun and rewarding, but overall, hard.

The work that needs to be made up usually can't be collected before hand. Also consider if she will miss tests, quizzes, or projects. If the trip lies anywhere around a test or project, I wouldn't go.

At 10?? The work absolutely CAN be collected... thats, what, 5th grade? Teachers are very accomadating. Actually if you give enough notice...even teachers up here at the college level will give you SOME notice of the work (that is if the syllabus doesnt already specify)

The only thing you need to wonder about, is she going to do the work while you are away? If you think so then i wouldnt worry too much :)

kvan

At that age I took them out off school,( 10 and 11)
the teachers gave them all the work for one week
(they did it all before leaving home, never seen them work so hard :lol: )
2 years ago they had some problem, there notes weren´t that good , teachers blamed it on taking them out of school,
but by the end of the year they they had there notes back up again.

now they are older (14and 15) it´s more difficult but we still can do it,
talking in the begining of the year with the teacher,
so they know well before and can prepare homeworks

Hope you will enjoy your trip :wave:

BigNorm

Seven of the first eight times my parents took me to WDW I was taken out of school for the trips. I remember it being much cooler in the fall than it was in the summer, but I don't remember if it was any less crowded.

CAPTAIN HOOK

As everyone else has said - it depends upon the child. It also depends on :-
How well are they doing at school. Are they coping and understanding the work that they are doing. Where do they lie within the class (near the top or towards the bottom). Have they missed any other school time through illness. Will there be exams while they are away ?
We left for our last trip on Tuesday 8th April after school had finished. This meant the kids missing only 3 days of schooling before both schools broke up for the two week Easter holidays. We returned with four days to spare before school restarted after the holiday.
Both girls are doing well at school and have not missed any other lessons during this school year.
In the UK, parents have NO RIGHT to remove children from school for holidays etc. However, requests for up to 10 days must be put in writing in plenty of time. Schools have the right to grant up to 10 days absence for "holidays of a lifetime" but may also refuse. In which case unauthorised absence will be recorded as truancy.
One thing to remember - taking a child out of school affects their future (not yours) :lookaroun

MouseMadness

Originally posted by CAPTAIN HOOK
In the UK, parents have NO RIGHT to remove children from school for holidays etc. However, requests for up to 10 days must be put in writing in plenty of time. Schools have the right to grant up to 10 days absence for "holidays of a lifetime" but may also refuse. In which case unauthorised absence will be recorded as truancy.
One thing to remember - taking a child out of school affects their future (not yours) :lookaroun

That's very interesting, captain hook. I would have to wholeheartedly agree... If you have a child who is absolutely struggling to pull average grades... it's not worth it. But, like I said... this could also be a wonderful incentive and reward situation. And while my children are still very small (oldest is only in 2nd grade) I hope we will always be able to plan on taking off in the middle of the school year. We are in the catholic school system... I think that's been helpful just because there is a much smaller group of kids for the teachers to keep track of, and there is a much more familial feeling. I hope this continues into the future.

mwitkus

first - let me say that i am not yet a parent so my perspective is probably different right now than it will be when i have kids... that said....

hubby and i have always agreed we would never go to WDW during a school vacation week or during summer break... too crowded, too hot, etc... we hope to be able to pull our kids out of school (in the fall) but like others have said, it will depend on their school work, and the child... if the child is having issues (school, behavior, etc.) then it would not be wise to pull them out... but if they are "the perfect child" (as i know mine will be :animwink: ) and they can get the workload from the teacher, i see nothing wrong with it...

as for the UK rule on having to get permission - WOW! i can't believe that... that is indeed pretty strict! i don't know how much i would like that if i had to submit a written request and wait for someone else to approve my vacation... not saying it is wrong - just so different from here...

mej

I teach in Northern Ireland and while parents at my school do not have to "ask for permission" as such, they do have to fill in a form which is held by the school. Our policy is not to give worksheets etc as our principal (quite rightly IMHO!!) is adamant that the worksheets are insignificant compared to the actual teaching which goes on prior to their completion. And to be honest, we have moved so far away from the "sit there and fill in the worksheet" mentality that it simply wouldn't be practical anyway!

One purely practical point - try never to take your kids out of school in the first weeks of a school year as that is when friendship groups are formed.

diznee2003

my situation is the same as bignorm's. all 8 out of 9 nine times that i have been i've gone during school and none of my teachers have ever given any problem (they're usually jealous!) i agree with what has been said of that it depends on the student. i usually try to get good grades so there won't be a problem. and if a teacher doesn't like it, i just tell them to stick it! :lol: most of the time that doesn't happen because my school's philosophy is family first. so like it has been said, it depends on the student and the schools rules on absences.

jborda87

I was taken out of school for both my Disney Vacations for a week, I justed asked the teacher for the homework and made up the tests during class or afterschool. It wasn't really hard at all and it was a deserving brake from school!!

monorail256

I get pulled out of school every year to go to disney for an "educational" trip.. hehe. I have no problem with getting out of school though. All of my teachers love me and never have a problem getting the work ready for me. As a matter of fact.. I'm leaving next saturday for Disney.. and as of today I have all my work. :D

Sir Hiss527

Again my parents also used to do this as well. But just for the day? Do you live in Orlando? If she is 10, she's probally in 4th or 5th grade. If you live in Orlando it shouldn't be hard for her to catch up on work.

-Sir Hiss527-

"Toad Lives!":king:

Yellow Shoes

Originally posted by jborda87
I was taken out of school for both my Disney Vacations for a week, I justed asked the teacher for the homework and made up the tests during class or afterschool. It wasn't really hard at all and it was a deserving brake from school!!

Were those disc brakes, or the brakes on your bicycle??

I really do believe you mean you got a break.

maelstrom

When I was in first grade, I went to WDW in January (for a convention at the Dolphin, but also my Nana had just died and we took a vacation to relax from all the hectic-ness of it). My mother spoke with my teacher and asked her to give me the work I would miss. I had no problem. I did work on the plane down and back (one of the few times I flew down) and at night. I actually ended up being ahead by the time I came back.

miles1

We took my son out of school for our last trip in October 2001 (yes, we went even though it was just 3 weeks after Sept. 11th). It was still hotter than heck, but the lines were almost non-existant and we had a great time. After much debate, we've decided to do it again this year, simply because we're New England yankees and the summer heat would make it miserable for us, not to mention the crowds. My son is a great student and I have full confidence in his ability to make up the work, with our help. If he were struggling, we would reconsider. His teachers were also very accomodating.

He's only in third grade this year, and we've decided that this is probably the last year we should do this. As he advances in grade we think it will be harder for him to recover from a week off in the middle of the year.

P.S. This is my first post here. It's been fascinating reading all of your posts on the various threads. I'm hooked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom