Choosing Your Home Resort

DVC Mike

Original Poster
One of the first decisions a prospective Disney Vacation Club member has to make, after deciding to buy into DVC, is which resort they should purchase and make their home resort. DVC members who wish to add-on face the similar issue of choosing which resort to add-on points at.

Prospective DVC members may not be aware that they are not limited to just the resorts that DVC is actively marketing, but that it is possible to buy into any of the DVC resorts, even the older “sold-out” resorts. You can buy these resorts on the resale market, as well as direct from Disney (once you convince your guide that you simply are not interested in the resorts DVC is actively marketing).

Now, what factors should one consider in choosing their home resort? People consider a wide range of things when deciding to choose their home resort. This includes (in no particular order):

FactorsToConsider1_1.png

FactorsToConsider2.png

FactorsToConsider3.png

Everyone’s personal tastes and individual preferences are different. Some may value certain factors more than others or not at all.
In addition to these individual factors, there are a few popular philosophies that you’ll hear from DVC members.

PurchasePhilosophy.png

Some members may decide to purchase at more than one resort, giving them multiple home resorts. Typically, the reason is that the owner wants the 11-month booking advantage of the Home Resort Priority Period in order to make it easier to get the resort they want, at the time they want, with the accommodations they want. This reduces any possible frustration at the 7-mo window, wait-listing, or having to “settle” for another reservation while missing out on the one you really had your heart set on.

Keep in mind that if you have more than one home resort, all vacation points being used to make a reservation during the Home Resort Priority Period must be associated with that home resort. That is, you cannot combine points from multiple resorts to book one resort during the Home Resort Priority Period. You may combine all the points you have at all your home resorts and book any DVC resort only at the 7-month window.

Some folks purchase small add-ons at other resorts and then, by banking and/or borrowing, book a vacation there at the 11-month window every 2 or 3 years.

Last edited:

Phonedave

I was under the impression that if buying through Disney, only the "open" resorts were available to you. Closed resorts are available, however there is currently a waiting list of DVC members looking for points at closed resorts. These people will get the offer to buy points that Disney requires through its right of first refusal program. Therefore points at closed resorts will not be available to a prospective new DVC memeber except on the secondary market.

Luckly for me the "best deal" and "would not mind staying" were both Saratoga Springs. A lot of times I am not going in peak times, and I can book 7 months out, so I have a decent shot of getting into non-home villias. I have to call in a week to try and book my April stay. I'll be shooting for the Beach Club this time. I'll see how I do.

-dave

hansel1

I was under the impression that if buying through Disney, only the "open" resorts were available to you. Closed resorts are available, however there is currently a waiting list of DVC members looking for points at closed resorts. These people will get the offer to buy points that Disney requires through its right of first refusal program. Therefore points at closed resorts will not be available to a prospective new DVC memeber except on the secondary market.

Luckly for me the "best deal" and "would not mind staying" were both Saratoga Springs. A lot of times I am not going in peak times, and I can book 7 months out, so I have a decent shot of getting into non-home villias. I have to call in a week to try and book my April stay. I'll be shooting for the Beach Club this time. I'll see how I do.

-dave

"closed resorts" are indeed available through disney. My experience was very pleasant and once i told my rep that I wanted Boardwalk, he was very helpful in finding an available allotment of points and financing. I waited just 4 days for 170 points at boardwalk to come available and I was able to reserve my vacation within 2 weeks (1 month prior to closing). My experience with disney and buying into dvc was fast, friendly and accomodating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom